Start by marking “Those Who Walk in Darkness (Soledad O'Roark, #1)” as Want to Read:
Those Who Walk in Darkness (Soledad O'Roark, #1)

Those Who Walk in Darkness (Soledad O'Roark #1)

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Soledad "Bullet" O'Roark writes her own rules. Usually it gets her in trouble. On her first day with the L.A.P.D.'s elite Mtac squad, Soledad takes down an outlawed super-powered freak with a weapon she designed herself-a definite violation. Her love life is no less chaotic. It's hard to find a decent guy with nothing to hide. But there's not much room in Soledad's life fo ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Aspect (first published May 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Walk in Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Who Walk in Darkness

Stacie
This story was set in a world that was uninteresting and peopled entirely with characters who were unlikeable and boring. The "plot" was predictable but worse than that, it wasn't even fun to follow. I read this all the way to the end hoping that there would be some twist or point that would redeem the time I spent reading. I was sorely disappointed.
Mike (the Paladin)
I'd guess anyone who has any history in "comic-book-dom" (especially the "Marvel Universe") when reading this book will find it difficult not to draw a few parallels with the X-Men's struggles.

(By the way, this book is so heavy with certain political baggage and hovering racism that I doubt most will [be able to:]miss those either. Fine they're there. That's all I care to say on or about that. If you're getting your instruction or education on political issues or having your views influenced by
wyrdling
Feb 04, 2008 wyrdling rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to wyrdling by: jim digriz
bigotry is insidious.
antiheroic hero. creative use of "super" abilities. excellent use of tactical principles and fascinating exploration of police special unit psychology.
not for the faint hearted or sqeamish.

i could never tell whether the author was trying to make a point about bigotry or just letting the character be her flawed complex self. which i think is one of the best recommendations for depth of characterization i can give. it all seemed natural and made perfect sense and there was no
Robert
pre "Heroes" pre 'Superpowers' pre 'Iron Man', a look at superheroes in everyday society and the consequences thereof...
Ficie
Soledad is tough, and unapologetic.
Soledad likes weapons, hates freaks. Soledad sees the world in black and white, and she is proud of it.
Soledad hides her feelings from the world. Pity her range of feelings (hatred - loneliness - anger) is not that vast.
Ridley's book - presented to me as an original, post-9/11 look on the world of superheroes - is plagued by a spiteful, bitchy, untrustworthy protagonist, whose motives are impossible to understand (not to mention share). Her extremely conserva
Ron
Started reading this in a used bookstore and had to buy it because it was easier than digging up the copy I had in the basement stashed in places unknown. The story is set near-future where Soledad O'Roark is a rookie on a SWAT team that specializes in taking down renegade superheroes/supervillains. That sounds far-fetched and Hollywood B-movie claptrap but the difference is in the way Ridley handles the story and character. there's plenty of tech talk for the geeky and there is action, but the ...more
Steven
After a supervillain blows up San Francisco, mutants (the only powered people in this setting) are outlawed in the U.S.. Soledad O'Roark is a cop with the LAPD MTAC unit which serves warrants on and goes after mutants, and has to deal with a conspiracy to disgrace her, a complicated love life and her own bigotry.

Except she never really does deal with that last bit - possibly in the sequel. it's interesting that Soledad's black, but aside from a brief mention and Soledad breaking up a dispute bet
Trike
The set-up for this story is that a supervillain blew up San Francisco, leading to the outlawing of all metanormal humans. So the supers who don't leave or get deported are hunted down and killed by cops specifically assigned for that job. Not an original premise, but this story is so kinetic and relentless that it doesn't matter. This is not great literature -- it's a modern superhero pulp book that a geek like me considers a beach read. If there's a moral to the story at all, it's that fanatic ...more
Deirdre
Soledad "Bullet" O'Roark is a super-power hunter, taking some of them down with a gun of her own invention. She's a cop with issues and has problems with relationships and her world is such that she keeps trying to connect with someone but no-one likes her life for long enough to stick around and try to make her open up and other members of the team die too often for it to be reasonable for her to date one.

It's an interesting read but somehow it's not quite as interesting as it could be. I didn'
Bill
I inadvertently read the sequel first, which is so much better. This first installment is a lot less compelling, and I found the climax so contrived it hurt. There was a much easier way to go about that final showdown. In fact, that showdown was completely unnecessary. Other than that, though, I do like Ridley. This book is all right, but I wouldn't go out of my way to read it.
James Fearn
Writing style: interesting. Sometimes made for confusion. I say, it is action packed and entertaining enough for a read. I finished the book after starting to read it late July early August just now after checking it out from the eBook library. Still really do not quite understand the underlying premise of the book.
Gene
I was expecting so much more - more action, more mutants....What I got was a bit of a cop drama with a mutant/super powered setting. It starts off with a bit of action, moves on to Drama and character building, then finishes with another bit of action.

Good concept, but not what I expected...or wanted from it.
Allison
Interesting premise, light on follow-through. Could have been a provocative parallel between discriminating on meta-normals based on the actions of a few and other discriminations, but it wasn't explored deeply. A quick Sunday-afternoon read after finishing Moby Dick.
Aaron Chandler
i have been an on and off fan of the superhero mythological, this is one of the many book that make me sit back and looked at it all again. i have to say that i loved this book, simple and plan as that i loved it, it was an interesting read.
Kyle
A very interesting twist. Superheros that are evil, a female black herion to fight against them. Very intriguing. Plot well written and imaginative. Kept you attention.
Mark
All I could think while reading this book was "Man! This is like if the Pixar movie 'The Incredibles' was made by Christopher Nolan!"
Pelagicunicorn
Jan 17, 2009 Pelagicunicorn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF, cop-book lovers
Recommended to Pelagicunicorn by: lc
Creative meta-normal characters. Very creative. They made the book. I liked Soledad, despite her imperfections as a protagonist.
Trip
What kind of person hunts down people with superpowers? A deeply, deeply broken one, apparently.
Mindy
Not a real brainy read, but entertaining enough. Of course, I like anything with an X-men feel to it.
Will
Like a grittier comic book without the pictures. A fun read, but not especially interesting.
Fresno Bob
angry cop must battle marginalized superheroes, quick read...
Snow
reading for NoveList recommended reads project
Sharon
Didn't like. Didn't finish.
Darby
Aug 03, 2011 Darby added it
enjoyed it
Marzia
Marzia marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
  • Doktor Sleepless, Volume 1: Engines of Desire
  • Superpowers
  • Outland
  • Writing In An Age Of Silence

Soledad O'Roark (2 books)
  • What Fire Cannot Burn (Soledad O'Roark, #2)
The Authority: Human on the Inside Everybody Smokes In Hell Stray Dogs Love Is a Racket What Fire Cannot Burn (Soledad O'Roark, #2)