Start by marking “FM: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio” as Want to Read:
FM: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio
Preview

FM: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"It was all so honest, before the end of our collective innocence. Top Forty jocks screamed and yelled and sounded mightier than God on millions of transistor radios. But on FM radio it was all spun out for only you. On a golden web by a master weaver driven by fifty thousand magical watts of crystal clear power . . . before the days of trashy, hedonistic dumbspeak and dis ...more
Published September 25th 2001 by Villard (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about FM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FM

Paul Lyons
A very mixed bag, and was very tempted to give this book a lower rating, yet Richard Neer's "FM: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio" is littered with buried treasures beneath its mesh of rock and roll radio history, and soap opera.

I loved hearing stories about some of my favorite New York DJs like Scott Muni, Dave Herman, Carol Miller, Dennis Elsas, Dan Neer and Richard Neer himself. I loved the Bruce Springsteen stories, and the candid anecdotes involving Chrissie Hynde, Elton John, John Lennon,
Andrea
Jun 28, 2008 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Music lovers, those who grew up in the 70's
I grew up listening to this author (when he was known as Dick and then Richard-don't-call-me-Dick Neer), during the 70's. Although lots of what was played on WNEW-FM (the main station he worked for and one of the main subjects of this book) was not great looking back 30+ years. But it was glorious. The DJ's would play songs linked by theme, or by title, or whatever. I remember the morning DJ, Dave Herman, playing Robert Palmer's "Johnny and Mary" and liking it so much he just played it again! An ...more
debra47
Recommended for anyone who was lucky enough to witness the beginning of fm radio when dj's had the opportunity to showcase music that was a reflection of their own musical taste Also recommend to those who are interested in how fm radio started and then due to economic forces and changes in the music industry the entire infrastructure crumbled. Especially great fun for those who used to listen to WNEW-FM in its heyday as the author was a dj in that particular radio station. If you are in the mus ...more
Rob
An interesting read about the evolution of free-form radio in New York and elsewhere in the Seventies, and its death throes in the Eighties, told by a guy who took part in its glory days and who wound up taking part in its fall, as corporate interests intervened. One of my favorite DJs of this era, Vin Scelsa, comes off like a petulant diva in Neer's tale. I'd love to hear Vin's side of the story. A good book, all around, though, if you're interested in the topic.
Denise Mcmahon
the part about WNEW in New York was ok, the rest was over my head.
Nathan
The first three-quarters were great, wherein Neer documented how Rock radio came to be. He portrayed the major players and their passion about what they were doing, wonderfully.

The last 100 pages seemed to be mere gossip. It could be my own distaste for modern radio, and Neer's inability to put forth an objective case study of what happened. Neer seemed to have a bit of a vendetta against certain personalities.
Bob
Anyone old enough to have been around for the peak of rock on radio will like this book. Refreshes a lot of fuzzy memories. Not an expose or tell-all by any means. Just some recollections from one of the main players, who turns out to be a nice guy.
Eric
A first-hand, insider's view of Album-Oriented Rock radio from inception through its heyday and decline. Great for rock and radio buffs, others might find it tedious.
Bob
Bob is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Apr 01, 2015
Maddalena
Maddalena marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Neill
Neill marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Feb 13, 2015
Robbi
Robbi marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
ceeeeg
ceeeeg marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Aug 28, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Something Of The Night FM The Emergence of the Classical Style in Greek Sculpture