Start by marking “101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,020 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
International bestseller in 18 languages with over a half-million copies sold worldwide! This beautifully designed book features step-by-step instructions with easy to follow color photos of each step. Each trick is rated with a difficulty rating and prerequisites to get you started quickly. Tips and trouble-shooting boxes cover common problems, while "build-on" ideas sugg ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Dog Tricks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Dog Tricks

Jessica
Jan 26, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
While the ideas for tricks were fun, the training technique often used unnecessary punishment during training, and used a lot of luring and physically pushing the dog into position. Shaping behavior was not introduced until most of the way through the book, and could have been used instead of the instruction to "bang your dog on his nose" for trying an unwanted behavior before the dog has figured out what it is you want him to do! An anxious dog or a terrier would give up on training altogether ...more
Tess
Oct 24, 2011 Tess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog
Great photos, descriptions, and sense of humor made reading this book a pleasure. I loved the images of the main dog with her thoughts in the margins. hilarious.

Kyra covers a wide range of skill levels and definitely bring the "wow" factor if you want to up the ante and set up a skit with your dog

I have to disagree with the reader who argued against using the cues from the beginning. Dog training is all about consistency. You don't need to expect the dog to recognize the hand cues the first few
Shaya
A+ for awesome trick ideas, nice layout and great pictures. C for execution and training suggestions. I have several problems with the training ideas. First of all, don't use a cue until your dog is doing it properly. Don't encourage the dog to do the trick for the first time with the cue. Pleaz! You'll either teach them early on that the cue doesn't mean anything or that the cue means to do it with the mistakes you had in practice.
Also, I would have liked to see clickers encouraged more. Click
Lisa
Nov 24, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, reference, 2015
Fun tricks to teach pup! There's many levels of difficulty so I'll have this book ready to refer to when Coco is ready and she's a fast learner.
Cathy
Apr 24, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it
This isn't a training manual. It isn't the first book you should turn to with your new dog to learn how to teach her sit, stay, come, etc. Each trick is taught in only three to six short steps, with a box on the side with troubleshooting or tips if it's appropriate for that trick. There are pictures to support every trick, which is sometimes very helpful, especially when it comes to deciphering what the author means when she's trying to describe hand signals, that's always confusing in training ...more
Pato Myers
Jun 21, 2015 Pato Myers rated it liked it
I didn't try all of these by any means, but the tricks I did teach my new puppy worked well.
Melanie
Mar 10, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy for pup

My dog took to these easily! She already knew the basics, so to add to them was much easier than expected! It was great for her mental stimulation. She's a border collie mix and really needed to learn new things.
Sia Karamalegos
Oct 27, 2012 Sia Karamalegos rated it it was amazing
Best dog training book ever. It breaks down tricks step by step so you can teach your dog positively with less frustration. Also gives handy tips on which tricks you can try next after mastering a particular skill. Photos are great.
Iloha
Feb 08, 2016 Iloha rated it really liked it
Kyra Sundance is a renowned trainer who has produced many books in the past. This is the first book I've read. It was not only helpful, useful and funny but was also very enjoyable. She and her dog dressed up if different dog tricks asked for it. The tricks were separated into different levels. This book is not the best for teaching basics to dog training or dog obedience, but it is a great asset if you would like to prefer your dog to know more tricks. It gives you many ideas and shows you how ...more
Kayla
This is the best dog training book I have read. It is easy to understand, good print and pictures. :-)
Rachel
Dec 16, 2013 Rachel added it
This is a book which help dog owners to train their do to do tricks and it's so easy and simple to train my dog Cookie is which guide with pictures and few steps which really helps owners to train dog to do tricks step by step and get more challenging for the dog.01 Dog Tricks is the largest trick book on the market and the only one presenting full-color photos of each trick and its training steps. The step-by-step approach, difficulty rating, and prerequisites, allow readers to start training ...more
Stef
Feb 12, 2008 Stef rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogbooks
Every trick has instructions with pictures which is awesome! Charlie's got the basics down so I admit I've gotten a little lazy on moving him forward to be mr. wonderful dog. I recommend combining this book with clicker training so it will be easier to mark when the dog is doing what you want. Through this book and a clicker, I was able to teach charlie to roll over and to stand on his hind legs. I wanted to do a sequence of stick em' up (standing on his hind legs) and then do a fake gun bang wi ...more
Steve H
Jan 27, 2014 Steve H rated it really liked it
Four stars = "I really liked it." I'm not sure I really like the book, but I really like what it causes, which is a lot of fun with our dog Scout, Georgia, and me. The book lays out some basic groundwork for tricks for dog and trainer and then builds on those, chaining behaviors that lead to more elaborate tricks. The tricks are challenging for our sweet and, dare I say, not exceptionally bright Scout, and I look forward to months and years of training that can be done with this book. Thanks, Ge ...more
Ashley Treadway
Jan 03, 2014 Ashley Treadway rated it it was ok
I bought this because I wanted to get new ideas on how to mentally stimulate my pup and how to make sure he is constantly learning beyond the basic commands. A tired puppy is a happy puppy.

This book has some hilarious tricks in it...teaching your dog to do the can-can, to jump rope, to get a can of beer from the fridge. I think it's good for entertainment value. My little puppy will be five pounds when he's fully grown, so he won't be able to do the majority of tricks in this book. Even if he w
Tamara
Dec 15, 2015 Tamara rated it it was ok
Meh. Felt kind of cheesy and the directions didn't feel super helpful. It is just much easier to learn new tricks via videos online. It did help me teach my dog bow and soccer though...and the matching outfits were very entertaining.
Megan
Jul 27, 2015 Megan rated it it was ok
Easy to follow and includes helpful photos. Tricks range from easy to difficult. To clarify, this is a book of trick training not obedience training. The purpose of this book is not to provide guidance on potty training or correcting behavioral issues. The target readers are people who already have a very well-behaved dog and are interested in teaching them fun tricks that aren't necessarily useful but entertaining.

I don't know anyone who has the desire or the time to teach their dog 101 tricks.
Lisa
Jan 27, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I have a 14 pound dog who is VERY VERY fearful. She has learned to do more than 3 dozen of these tricks. She knows all of the tricks by the verbal command and/or the hand signal. I am most pleased that she learned "tidy up" which means she will put all of her toys in the correct spot upon my request. I used the hand signals once she got the hang of the trick. I was personally glad that it did not use the clicker as I find them inconvenient. When Kyra instructed "bop" the dog on the nose, I took ...more
Karlee
Jul 06, 2010 Karlee rated it liked it
Shelves: have-the-book
Few things,

firstly, I wish this book was more clicker oriented, that would make is easier. Secondly, There are only about 10 tricks to do with a small dog, otherwise, they are all pretty much medium to large dog tricks.
I'd like to see my dog (7lb chi) open the fridge - damn I hardly can.

They have nice pictures, but not all instructions are written clearly. They have some nice trouble shooting answers.

Good book if you engage clicker training and not pushing your dog into positioning (like they w
Beverly J. Harvey
Sep 11, 2015 Beverly J. Harvey rated it it was amazing
Great to have when you are a new dog owner.
Meghan
Aug 06, 2012 Meghan rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful dog training book. It is all pictures, with step-by-step notes. It covers everything from basic obedience to 'real' expert tricks.

Lovely book and I actually used it recently to help with a trick. My method was confusing to my dog. This book's method was easy to use and had my dog understanding in no time at all.

It has been a hit with my 7yo dd (she loves the pictures) and my 11yo neice, as well. Great book for anyone who wants to have a little more fun with their favorite poo
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Really helpful! I was able to use this book to teach simple tricks to my dog and there's tips on troubleshooting in case your dog has problems with certain tricks. The reason why I wouldn't give a 5 star rating is because some tricks step by step instructions are not very clear and are a little bit less that descriptive. ALSO my dog does not lure train very well because he would rather have praise or petting instead of a treat. This book will only work with lure training.
Emily
Apr 22, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
Tons of tricks from easy to very advanced. I will say some of the tricks are a little more for the "I want my dog to be on tv" set. However, it has great photos and step by step instructions for training. Good if you need a general comprehensive of tricks to keep on the shelf. Also good for those who want to dabble in TV/Movie tricks and keep life interesting for your pooch!
Mariah
Jun 21, 2011 Mariah rated it really liked it
This book is sort of kooky (Sundance appears throughout the book in strange, skimpy cheerleading costumes), but I really like how the book is organized. My little Bella probably isn't ready to fetch the paper just yet (she's still teething on it), but I'll definitely be incorporating some of these tricks into our repertoire as she gets a little older!
Kecia
Apr 05, 2010 Kecia rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs
Not the best book for working with a fearful dog like mine. I've been working on one of the tricks featured in this book. But with a fearful dog I'm having to take extreme baby steps.

For average dogs I'm sure this is a great book. Add a clicker and have fun. For fearful dogs this book doesn't offer much.
Tanya Hakala
Jan 06, 2013 Tanya Hakala rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-books
I really want a puppy, but we can't have one in the apartment. So, in the meantime, I'm getting books through ILL to see if they are worth purchasing when the time comes when we can get a dog.

This was a good book with some entertaining ideas for tricks to keep your dog mentally active and learning.
Bonnie
Dec 29, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it
Nice ideas. Great pictures. Very nicely organized. Would have liked the clicker method built-in. And I never name or cue a trick until after the behavior is easily repeatable.
Gabrielle
Aug 15, 2012 Gabrielle rated it really liked it
Easy to follow instructions and pictures. Terrific side notes on suggestions to help, level of training, and a cross reference to all tricks for beginners through immediate. While teaching a dog a new trick takes lots of time and effort, I highly recommend you start with this one.
Regi
Jan 18, 2013 Regi rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. Clear instructions and step by step directions laid out in a manner that makes the "Idiots Guide to...." look like College level math. You will laugh, and have as much fun as your pet during the training process.

Worth buying!
langa
Dec 14, 2007 langa rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
cheesy looking, i know. but honestly as a dog mama who likes to train my dog children to do tricks, the photography, step by step instructions and trainer's philosophy is spot on. i highly recommend it to all those over the top dog parents out there.
Patricia
May 22, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not quite what I was expecting... more just a list of cool tricks with basic how-to's rather than the in-depth, step-by-step teaching I thought it was going to be. Not that it's bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting.
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • My Smart Puppy (TM): W/DVD: Fun, Effective, and Easy Puppy Training
  • It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet
  • Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs
  • The Culture Clash
  • How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves
  • The Cautious Canine-How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
  • Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • The Original Dog Bible: The Definitive New Source To All Things Dog

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. —Anonymous” 2 likes
“1 Make a slit in a tennis ball and drop a treat inside.” 0 likes