Start by marking “The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs, Dog Breeds and Dog Care” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs, Dog Breeds and Dog Care

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs, Dog Breeds and Dog Care

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This dog encyclopedia is a comprehensive visual guide to more than 180 breeds from all over the world - from the loveable Labrador Retriever and Cocker Spaniel to the more unusual Keeshond, Saluik, Portuguese Water Dog and Brittany. Everything you need to know about dogs, from choosing a breed to grooming, feeding and exercise is described in full detail, and there is step ...more
Published May 6th 2003 by Lorenz Books (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs, Dog Breeds and Dog Care

Charity
This is the Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs by Peter Larkin (2011). I chose this book because it is a very informative and relavent book to students. At some point in their school life, students might experience getting a new dog, or their dog at home has puppies. I have used similar books to do research on topics that interest me.
The twin text I chose to pair this with is Clifford the Big Red Dog; Clifford's Family by Norman Bridwell (2011). I chose this book because Clifford isn't a typical dog
Emilija
Jul 17, 2013 Emilija rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
This was actually a decent book. Some useful tips in there.
Kiran Poet
Sep 07, 2013 Kiran Poet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, reviewed
I LOVE DOGS AND I LOVED THIS BOOK! DONATED TO A COLLEGE LIBRARY.
Alisha
Jul 07, 2015 Alisha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dog owners & breeders
This is a very useful and educational text about dogs. Not only does it describe the characteristics of multiple breeds in detail, but also describes breeding and training methods.

This book would be, and is very influential for those deciding on a breed of dog suitable for their family, and/or for first time dog owners to aide them in the training of their new puppy.

A detailed text that I found very interesting and enlightening being a dog lover myself.
Christine
This is a good introduction to dogs for a prospective owner. I also found the chapters regarding dog breeding informative. The second half of the book is dedicated to brief descriptions of each dog breed and their pros and cons. This section organizes the dogs by type such as gun dogs, toy dogs, terriers, etc.
LeilaK9
May 22, 2014 LeilaK9 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! The pictures are so good, and the facts are so precise! This book gives so much information on each and every breed of dog, plus health care, herbal remedies, and bandaging and bathing techniques!
Peta
Oct 10, 2015 Peta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction to dog breeds and the basics of keeping a dog. Some of the information is possibly a little dated but overall it's a great general guide.
Crystal Valenta
Jan 05, 2014 Crystal Valenta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love dogs and have been a dog lover for as long as I can remember. This is one of THE BEST dog breed encyclopedias I've come across and I've been reading/learning about dogs for over 15 years. I highly recommend this one! It's worth the price.
Caroline Christoff
I want to be a vetranarian, so I am always reading dog encyclopedias. This was a very good book for someone who wants to be a breed wiz. It was very well explained and good for a first time dog owner. Or, for those of us who just want to learn more about dogs,- I recommend it. You won't get lost in this book. It's very explanitory.
Ali
Jan 23, 2008 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone considering adopting a dog
Best. Dog. Book. Ever. You will find almost every breed of dog in this book with a very helpful writeup of their personalities, eating habits, exercise needs and more. This book helped us to pick out our beloved Cesky Terrier. A must-read for anyone considering adopting a pooch of their own.
Riobhcah
Mar 03, 2010 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
This book contains a lot of good basic information for dog owners. Everyone who owns dogs should have a book like this. Or anyone wanting a dog should have a look at this book to see what owning a dog entails. There is also a good description of the personality of each breed.
Jordan
Jan 29, 2012 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I grow up I want to be a vetrinarian and I love dogs. My friend bought me this when I turned 6 and now I'm 10. I have practically memorized it! I recomend this to any animal lovers!
Sue
May 14, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
Whenever I feel like torturing myself with the desire for a dog, I get this out...
Ryandg
Mar 30, 2011 Ryandg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book, I recommend to all devoted dog owners
Jamie Leeper
Aug 13, 2011 Jamie Leeper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book. Tells about all the dog breeds!
Madison
Sep 06, 2009 Madison rated it it was amazing
I would die if i didnt have this book
Katie
Shelves: wish-list
I LOVE DOGS!!!
Missy
Jun 03, 2007 Missy rated it it was amazing
MUST HAVE for any dog owner
Mattea Central
Mattea Central rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Margot Verger
Margot Verger marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Melina Silvestro
Melina Silvestro marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Moi
Moi added it
Dec 29, 2015
Julie Boeckmann
Julie Boeckmann rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Abigail
Abigail rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
  • Ultimate Encyclopedia Of Cats, Cat Breeds & Cat Care
  • Dick for a Day: What Would You Do If You Had One?
  • Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life
  • Dogs
  • Complete Book of Tarot Spreads
  • Horses
  • On Becoming an Alchemist: A Guide for the Modern Magician
  • The Children of Now: Crystalline Children, Indigo Children, Star Kids, Angels on Earth, and the Phenomenon of Transitional Children
  • Ferrets For Dummies
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • Thunder from the Sea
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • The All-New Amelia (Amelia's Notebooks, #7)
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Do Dead People Watch You Shower?: And Other Questions You've Been All but Dying to Ask a Medium
  • Stretching