Start by marking “Let's Pretend This Never Happened (Dear Dumb Diary #1)” as Want to Read:
Let's Pretend This Never Happened (Dear Dumb Diary #1)

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (Dear Dumb Diary #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  13,975 Ratings  ·  588 Reviews
Read the hilarious, candid, (and sometimes not-so-nice,) diaries of Jamie Kelly, who promises that everything in her diary is true...or at least as true as it needs to be.

School was okay today. Actually, it was better than okay. Angeline got her long, beautiful hair tangled in one of the jillion things she has dangling from her backpack, and the school nurse -- who is now
Published May 1st 2007 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Let's Pretend This Never Happened, please sign up.

Sisi L It's about a girl called Jamie who deals with problems at school and keeps track of it in her diary.
(it's very funny and interesting)

Stephanie Middleton
Jan 20, 2009 Stephanie Middleton rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Hahahaha! This was hilarious and a quick read. I'm a huge fan of the Georgia Nicholson diaries for teens and this series reminds me a bit of them, although aimed at the younger set. It's basically about middle schooler Jamie Kelly, who vents to her "dumb diary" about school, boys, her dog, her family, and most of all, her arch-nemesis, the perfect Angeline. Supplementing each diary entry are these humorous illustrations (drawn by our heroine) that had me laughing out loud.

As a kiddo librarian, I
Becca
May 09, 2012 Becca rated it it was ok
Agreed. Let's totally pretend this never happened. Because, frankly, this book kind of scared me.

I've started a project where I'm trying to read through the titles that are currently housed in my tiny library at which I work. I figured starting with the Children's Series section would be an easy, quick read and I would get some good titles for reader's advisory under my belt. Dear Dumb Diary seemed like a good place to start with it's high circulation and funny-sounding premise.

And at times it i
Amy
Mar 25, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
My third-grader had belly-laughs as she read this book. It's not one that I would have selected for her, but we all have our guilty-pleasure reads.

Lines I liked:
"By the way, you know how the name for Angeline's hair color is 'Gloriously Heavenly Sunshine'? The people at the dye company named the one that matches mine 'Groundhog'" (22).

"I was so glad that my hair was back the way that nature had inflicted" (23).

"Mr. Evans said that I pretty much need an A on my mythology report or my grades would
Kat
Jan 31, 2012 Kat rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
If I could give it no stars I would. I picked it up at the library due to it's title, I sometimes found myself thinking that same thing "dear dumb diary" when I wrote in one when I was younger.

4 minutes later I was already 1/4 of the way through the book and I honestly could not make myself go another page.

We learn to write by reading, and the example set in this book is just horrendous. Too many "likes" and hyper-colloquial to the point of bad grammar. The main girl is arrogant and rather dull
Gabriella
Apr 27, 2015 Gabriella rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl named Jamie who has an enemy.The enemys name is Angeline.Angline was mean to Jamie.For example Angeline started to throw meat loaf in the cafeteria.But Jamie got in trouble for it.While Jamie was getting in trouble Angeline was wiping her hands off from the meat loaf.But is it true that Angeline is really that mean. I recommend this book because you can make connections to the book if you have an enemy of your own.Also it is very funny and very dumb.
Rachel Q

MY OPINION:
This book is pretty nice for me because Jamie seems to be a crazy girl.. this book also makes you laugh.. ! :D

SUMMARY

Jamie Kelly is a girl that has a diary.. and she writes crazy stuff about people and makes some drawings (not really just the author LOL!)Jamie's qualities are clever.. Jamie's hair dye name is "Groundhog".
Her eye color is green and her crush is called Hudson Rivers. Her bff is called Isabella. Angeline is a clever girl too..she has a nice hair. Her hair's name is "Go
Olivia Cooper
Aug 06, 2012 Olivia Cooper rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book because it fits into one of the categorys on the bingo board. This book fits into the category: Your own choice. This category is interesting because you get to read watever book you want to so there is a better chance you will enjoy it. My favourite quote from the book is: “This means that I don't have to run faster than the psychotic-maniac-vampire-cannibal, I just have to run faster than whoever is with me when the psychotic-maniac-vampire-cannibal starts chasing u ...more
Alexandra
Apr 15, 2013 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it is funny and silly,and because its like a girls diary
Kally
Apr 20, 2017 Kally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anton
Антон (9г.): Книгата беше много смешна. Имаше кражби на... коса!
Имаше едно момиче, което харесваше едно момче и правеше най-смешната физиономия, която съм виждал - имаше картинка в книгата. В цялата книга имаше много картинки.
В книгата се разказва за едно много шантаво момиче, което си пише дневник. Там тя описва живота си.
Feb 17, 2017 Sarah rated it liked it
it's like a grown man who never went to public school wrote a book from the point of view of a middle school girl. oh wait. that's what it is. i recommend reading it out loud on the floor of the children's section of barnes and noble to your friends, like i did.
Charlotte
Dec 18, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Jamie Kelly is in eighth grade and keeps a diary about her life. She writes about a popular girl, her dog, her best friend, her mom's cooking, and her messy messy cousin. As she writes, you can see that her life isn't fun and games.
Dear Dumb Dairy is a funny book because of the way Jamie writes and thinks. Its also has funny pictures that show what she talks about, which is kinda funny. And don't worry about school, try to enjoy the book.
I like this book because of its funniness and weirdness
Tony Colorio
Dec 16, 2011 Tony Colorio rated it did not like it
This was probably not a very good choice for me in the beginning hence the cover (that proves that the theory "You can never judge a book by it's cover" wrong) but alas, I read it. I did not find this book very entertaining at all. I thought it had a lot of girly content, so it got boring quickly. Also the author, in my opinion, was not very descriptive at all. I think this book would be better for a girl to read not me.
Terri (Le Book Chronicles)
Aug 15, 2015 Terri (Le Book Chronicles) rated it really liked it
I basically just read this for nostalgic purposes. I remember absolutely loving this when I was in Primary School, and while I din't find it as amazing as I did when I was younger, I really enjoyed it. I'd definitely recommend this for younger audiences, like maybe 8-12 year old girls.
Lola  Reviewer
Feb 22, 2014 Lola Reviewer rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, humour
I remember loving these books so much when I was little! I couln't stop reading them and I laughed so so much at all the funny, crazy things happening in this series and because of the pictures too! Good memories.
Hayleam
Jan 12, 2015 Hayleam rated it did not like it
This bok was terrific because it was so interesting and it also painted a picture in my mind!!!!!!This book would always keep me guessing!!!
Naailah
Jan 22, 2015 Naailah rated it it was amazing
I remember reading these in elementary school, so when I found them at the library, I had to reread them. Let me just say, this humour is so dry
NebraskaIcebergs
May 23, 2012 NebraskaIcebergs rated it really liked it
It’s always nice to end on a good note. Dear Dumb Diary by Jim Benton is my third and final chick lit book for the month. I’m relieved to say that this one I like. Its girl-loves-boy plot has quirky twists, Jamie and her nemesis Angeline are likeable characters, and the diary-entry style is fun. And so I must thank my sister who first suggested Dear Dumb Diary to me.

As is true of many books aimed at a middle-school audience, main character Jamie has an attitude. That is evident from the very fir
Canadian Reader
I read 1/4 of this book just to get the flavor of it. It's a Wimpy Kid for girls. Written in diary format, it includes doodles and musings on everyday loves and mostly hates of an early middle school girl, mostly focusing on main character Jamie Kelly's arch nemesis, the beautiful blond, Angeline. Nothing to write home about, but given the popularity of Wimpy Kid, something for reluctant girl readers
Criss
Jul 08, 2013 Criss rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-mg
I picked this up mostly for "research," because I'm working on a diary-format novel with a character who starts out in middle school/junior high. I was disappointed by the slut-shaming and fatphobia in this book, and by the MC's stereotypical girl-hate. There really is no plot, other than "I'm jealous of Angeline and I hate her but I love her" and suddenly in the last few pages half a bazillion things happen, plot twist! after plot twist! after PLOT TWIST!!

The MC's voice is funny (though her per
Zyl
Jan 10, 2012 Zyl rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-quite-ya
This book starts the entire "Dear Dumb Diary" children's series. This book introduces the main character, a very spunky and opinionated girl, and her friends and family, who appear in the series multiple times as well. The stories have barely any plot, and probably really has no value in society, but considering it's written for children, then it's passable with two stars. I read this series when I was younger and the experience still feels fresh. I remember enjoying it a lot because the author ...more
Camila
Oct 19, 2009 Camila rated it it was amazing
Dear Dumb Diary....

"Perfect girls make perfect enemies." (Jim Benton) . Jamie Kelly writes in her diary every day talking about her suposly miserable life with her most hated enemiy Angelina wich she swears is the most beautifull girl on school,and the world. She writes all about her her life and exaggerating events that occure in it. You can see what is going on also with the drawings and the explanation under it with a humor that cracks you up and this book was the reason I smiled at a buch o
Книжни Криле
Понякога децата имат нужда от четиво, което слиза на тяхното ниво, говори за темите, които ги вълнуват и по начин, който ги забавлява и ги кара да откриват хумора в собствените си неволи. А какъв по-лесен начин за това от четенето за нечии чужди неволи? А ако те са разказани направо от потърпевшия, описани в личен дневник, то разказите добиват едва ли не достоверността на исторически документ за нечий горчив опит от началното училище! Гарнирайте всичко това с малко комикси и несериозни, смешни к ...more
Gaijinmama
Feb 15, 2013 Gaijinmama rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I thought this was hilarious...hey, there's a crucial supporting character who is a beagle named Stinker, who has the most amazing grouchy facial expressions ever and actually does eat the narrator's homework. What's not to love?
Honestly, I liked it better than my 10 year old daughter did. Different strokes and all that. She likes the also wonderful Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Lifewhich has pictures that are cuter and more manga-esque. (Yeah, I know manga-esque is not a word. Well
Kathleen Behrendt
This is the first book in the popular series for girls, Dear Dumb Diary. The main character, Jamie Kelly, wants to be part of the popular group. She will do just about anthing to achieve that goal - including stealing the permanent file of the most popular girl in school, Angeline, to try and find some dirt about her. The writing is very funny, and just a little sassy. There is just enough gross humor (ex. the page 65 drawings of her beagle Stinker and his fascination with his butt) to possibly ...more
Kristine Hansen
Aug 19, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it liked it
Well, I'm not sure what to think. Add this to the whole slew of 'diary' kinds of books, where a story is told entirely in entries into...what else...a girl's diary.

I thought our main character was more than a bit shallow. Yet the story had a few good points, even if I wanted to shake her HARD more than once. I kind of wish I didn't know kids like her. Sadly I do.

Still, it's a quick read and might be just the thing to get reluctant readers interested in a story that's definitely not too hard to
Brittney Sutton
Sep 16, 2013 Brittney Sutton rated it really liked it
This book is mostly about a middle schooler writing her thoughts, opinions, challenges, and everything that happens to her mostly at school and at home in her diary. She struggles to get through middle school with pretty popular girls or boys and teachers. Her only thing she can tell her secrets to is her diary and she goes through struggles/stages but she makes herself feel better because she lets out her feelings.
I rated this book a 4 because I thought I can relate when I entered middle schoo
Chelsey
Sep 28, 2015 Chelsey rated it did not like it
A lot like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, in that the kid is so mean! I mean, I remember finding a fair amount of insult humor funny as a kid, so it's not like I would rip this out of a kid's hands, but jeez. I am an old, I guess, and these are just too mean without also being at least a little funny.
Claire
Jan 26, 2016 Claire rated it it was amazing
OMG! This book is so GOOD! I love this book! I will say no more. Bye!
Cristina
Jan 08, 2009 Cristina rated it it was amazing
this is the first book !
Amy
My daughter really enjoyed these books when she was in elementary school. Cute. Funny.
Does Jamie like Angeline now? 8 27 Jan 18, 2015 07:09AM
Upper Elementary ...: Let's Pretend This Never Happened 1 6 Jun 25, 2014 04:17PM
Upper Elementary ...: Let's Pretend This Never Happened 1 3 Jun 25, 2014 04:15PM
  • The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers, #1)
  • Junie B., First Grader: One-Man Band (Junie B. Jones, #22)
  • Moving Day (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #1)
  • The Accidental Cheerleader (Candy Apple #1)
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
  • Utterly Me, Clarice Bean
  • The Boy Next Door (Candy Apple #2)
  • Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1)
  • Judy Moody Gets Famous! (Judy Moody, #2)
  • How to Be a Girly Girl in Just Ten Days (Candy Apple #4)
  • Now You See It, Now You Don't (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #15)
  • Totally Crushed (Candy Apple #7)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Popular Party Girl (Dork Diaries, #2)
  • Mackenzie Blue (Mackenzie Blue, #1)
  • Luv Ya Bunches (Flower Power, #1)
  • Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles
  • Juicy Gossip (Candy Apple #19)
  • Confessions of a Bitter Secret Santa (Candy Apple #13)
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T
More about Jim Benton...

Dear Dumb Diary (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • My Pants Are Haunted
  • Am I the Princess or the Frog? (Dear Dumb Diary #3)
  • Never Do Anything, Ever (Dear Dumb Diary #4)
  • Can Adults Become Human?
  • The Problem with Here Is That It's Where I'm From (Dear Dumb Diary,#6)
  • Never Underestimate Your Dumbness (Dear Dumb Diary, #7)
  • It's Not My Fault I Know Everything (Dear Dumb Diary #8)
  • That's What Friends Aren't For (Dear Dumb Diary #9)
  • The Worst Things In Life Are Also Free (Dear Dumb Diary, #10)
  • Okay, So Maybe I Do Have Superpowers (Dear Dumb Diary #11)