Start by marking “The Palace Diaries: Twelve Years with HRH Prince Charles” as Want to Read:
The Palace Diaries: Twelve Years with HRH Prince Charles

The Palace Diaries: Twelve Years with HRH Prince Charles

2.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Sarah Goodall spent 12 years working for Prince Charles as a Lady Clerk from 1988 to 2000 - the period during which his marriage to the Princess of Wales broke down amid a frenzy of media attention.

Her experiences of life behind the scenes of the Royal Establishment have inspired this hilarious story of a naive and rather accident-prone young woman whose dreams all came tr
Published March 1st 2007 by Mainstream Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Palace Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Palace Diaries

Diana by Andrew MortonA Royal Duty by Paul  BurrellMy Story by Sarah FergusonRoyal Service by Stephen P. BarryThe Royals by Kitty Kelley
The Royal Tell All - Nonfiction
7th out of 59 books — 11 voters
Below Stairs by Margaret PowellLife Below Stairs by Sian EvansRose by Rosina HarrisonServants by Lucy LethbridgeRoberts' Guide for Butlers & Household St by Robert Roberts
Nonfiction Books about Servants
33rd out of 143 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
Apr 26, 2007 Catherine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with an interest in behind-the-scenes of the British royal family
The author was a Lady Clerk (secretary) for the British royals, specifically in Prince Charles' office from 1988 to 2000. She began her work at the palace answering HRH's fan mail and then moved up to the point where she sometimes traveled with Prince Charles. She was working at the Palace during the marriage, separation, and divorce of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. She was still working at the palace when Diana's death occurred. She also writes about the beginning of the PR campaign for th ...more
Amanda Patterson
Nov 16, 2010 Amanda Patterson rated it did not like it
Sarah Goodall spent 12 years workingas a secretary (a Lady Clerk in Palace speak) for Prince Charles from 1988 - 2000. Sarah openly admits that the reason she is writing this is for the money - the same reason she sold her story of her dismissal when Camilla moved in.

Sarah's story is not interesting. The only interesting thing about her is that she worked in a palace. She tries to appear closer than she really was. She tries to avert being sued by drooling over Prince Charles's name at any and e
Heather
Jan 25, 2011 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: paper
I bought it at a library sale for $1. I think I overpaid.

Supposed to be light and frothy, this was just sad. Sarah makes Bridget Jones look organized and efficient, and while I loved Bridget Sarah's constant "need money from Mummy and Daddy" act was depressing.

There actually wasn't even much behind-the-scenes-of-royalty info. Mostly, there was Sarah having sex with a ton of men, falling asleep in front of Prince Charles, and generally being a dingbat.

Lisa
Aug 15, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
First, I have always been a sucker for reading 'inside scoop' books about the British Royal family, but ones that sound like the stories within could be true and plausible. This book is about Sarah Goodall, who worked as a "Lady Clerk" to HRH Prince Charles from 1988 until the end of 2000. She began by answering the Prince's fan mail and worked her way up several rungs on the Household staff ladder. Although the pay was so low that Sarah's father regularly gave her large checks for rent and clot ...more
Pamela B.
Dec 16, 2013 Pamela B. rated it did not like it
I will forever and always regret the $10 spent on this insipid, ego-driven, exclamation mark ridden non- book. When someone shares an account of working for a Royal, the reader is expecting details from Buckingham, not squeals over shoes or the "author's" love life. Truly, my cat could do better simply pawing at my keyboard. Be warned. (Edit) just had to download E. M. Forster's "Howards End" to clean my braincells of such drivel.
Jan 28, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the royal family
Sarah Goodall's job as a lady clerk in charge of Prince Charles' fan mail gave her a front row seat at the royal melodrama until her own hubris did her in. Prince Charles comes off better than usual (who knew his eyes were so mesmerizing0 and Princess Diana worse (a little chintzy for a royal).
Ieva
Nov 07, 2011 Ieva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a big fan of royalities and I am not interested at all in Diana. Don't know how I got to read tihs book, But I am glad, i did. I was laughing for so many times while reading it, the good british humor is there. I loved it!
Tracy Morton
Jan 20, 2014 Tracy Morton rated it did not like it
As I read I found myself constantly thinking who cares.
Kirsty Holloway
Sep 15, 2014 Kirsty Holloway rated it it was ok
This woman is no great story of success. She has nothing much interesting or insightful to say. There are a few comments about Lady Diana that will have appeared in a gossip colomn at some point. Even given the opportunity to write about her own life - she does herself no favours. I picked this up as part of a buy 1 get 1 free from a charity shop. I wouldnt have paid for it.

She claims she wrote it for public interest - it is not. Hopefuly she made a bit of money.
Barbra
Jul 17, 2011 Barbra rated it really liked it
This is a really entertaining read - quite funny in places. I did enjoy it and it was a fast read.

Back Cover Blurb:
Sarah Goodall spent twelve years working for Prince Charles as a Lady Clerk, from 1988 to 2000 - the period during which his marriage to the Princess of Wales broke down amid a frenzy of media attention.
Her experiences of life behind the scenes of the Royal Establishment have inspired this funny story of a naive and rather accident-prone young woman whose dreams all came true when s
Bookworm Erica
well...I know alot more about Sarah...not nearly as much about Charles. it was an okay once read...I even got a signed copy by surprise from amazon seller for 0.75! ...I'm half wanting to toss the book into don't ions anyway
Sharon
Sep 05, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, although I thought the author was a bit too gossipy. I also found her to be extremely sycophantic where Prince Charles was concerned, putting me off a bit.
In the end though, I rather enjoyed her insights to what life was like behind the palace walls, and must say, it certainly sounded like a fantastic job (although the pay is awful)
She was getting rather too big for her boots, and thankfully could see and admit to it after some time away from the palace.
Overall a charming book.
Alexandra
Feb 11, 2009 Alexandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: swedish, borrowed
What a piece of crap! The only good thing I can say about this is that I didn't add to the author's sell-out, by buying the book, since I read a review copy. It's immoral to sign a confidentiality agreement and then "spill the beans" just because you don't know how to live within your means (which is a cheap excuse instead of confessing to the fact that you want "fame" and "recognition"). The woman is NUTS, and the book is awful.
Annina
Sep 11, 2010 Annina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
The Palace Diaries is a look at life behind the scenes of the Royal Establishment. Sarah Goodall spent 12 years working for Prince Charles as a Lady Clerk from 1988 to 2000.

Pia Karlsson
Läste boken på svenska men det var enklare att leta upp den engelska utgåvan på goodreads.
Linda
Mar 30, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
If you like People Magazine and you don't want to go to the dentist, this will work.
Bianca
May 17, 2014 Bianca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read about half of the book; it bored me too much to keep reading it...
Michelle
Oct 26, 2013 Michelle rated it did not like it
A banal, and often vulgar, account of the life of an ordinary British woman.
Michelle Abbas
Jul 06, 2013 Michelle Abbas rated it liked it
This book changes your view on being a princess. It's not as easy as it looks.
_mii_
Aug 05, 2011 _mii_ added it
Ihan hirveetä paskaa, tuskin luen loppuun koskaan. :/
Päivi
May 27, 2011 Päivi rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
surkea, kioskikirjallisuuden tasoa
Loulou
Loulou added it
Apr 27, 2016
Kimberley Wynbergen
Kimberley Wynbergen rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
tic
tic marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Susan Jones
Susan Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Donna Spindler
Donna Spindler marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Bemy Simbajon
Bemy Simbajon marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Corina
Corina added it
Mar 06, 2016
Monique
Monique rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2016