Start by marking “A Line in the Sand: The Alamo Diary of Lucinda Lawrence (Dear America)” as Want to Read:
A Line in the Sand: The Alamo Diary of Lucinda Lawrence (Dear America)

A Line in the Sand: The Alamo Diary of Lucinda Lawrence (Dear America)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  2,236 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
In the journal she receives for her twelfth birthday in 1835, Lucinda Lawrence describes the hardships her family and other residents of the "Texas colonies" endure when they decide to face the Mexicans in a fight for their freedom.
Published September 1st 1998 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A Line in the Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Line in the Sand

Israel Graves
Dec 12, 2011 Israel Graves rated it really liked it
(Popular Series)
This book is a part of the classic popular Dear America Series of books! This book is written in diary format through the voice of Lucinda Lawrence a young woman who lived in the Texas colonies during the 1800's. Lucinda's family lived in the colonies during the war for Texan Independance. Each diary entry includes a date and a story of what is happened through the words of Lucinda. Some of the entries are as short as just a few sentences and some are pages long. Through the ent
Beth Robey
Jul 17, 2013 Beth Robey rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but towards the end, all the action occurred in the last fifty pages, where as all that in the middle and beginning? But besides that, a wonderful, adventurous book that made me aware of how hard young girls had to work then.

Please comment if you politely disagree, I will not take offense.
Halee
Nov 10, 2014 Halee rated it it was amazing
I can seriously rattle off facts about the Alamo after reading this book! And it was enjoyable too. That's an amazing combination. ;-)
Traci
Had never read this one! It's not too bad. Not one of my total favorites but still pretty good!
Ana Mardoll
Dec 27, 2009 Ana Mardoll rated it did not like it
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Line in the Sand (Alamo) / 0-590-39466-5

I own almost all the Dear America books and, until this one, I hadn't read a single one that I didn't instantly love. By every measure, this book is dreadful.

The good news is that there is some history here, which salvages a single star. The author has managed to get historical details right, and in the correct order. I also liked that for awhile the issue is presented as complicated: the author points out that the Mexicans are being aggressive, but the T
Madison Rhodes
Jan 15, 2017 Madison Rhodes rated it really liked it
awsome!
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
Lucinda is a young girl living in the area now known as Texas, not far from the Alamo. Her life is pretty much average until trouble starts between General Santa Anna and his troops vs. the people in Texas who want Texas to be an independent state.

At the time, Texas was not American; the area belonged to Mexico. They had opened the area to settlement by people from America then tried to close the door when more people showed up then they expected. The people in the area ended up being divided in
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Living in the tiny, remote settlement of Gonzales, Texas, in 1835, pioneer farm girl Lucinda Lawrence has just celebrated her thirteenth birthday. Her father is against war with Mexico - he learned the horrors of war firsthand during the War of 1812. Lucinda's brothers find the idea of war glorious - her oldest brother, Willis, is eager to fight against the oppresive Mexicans. Lucinda's mother just doesn't want to lose anymore children - her youngest, a baby girl, died during the journey from Mi ...more
Beverly
Feb 02, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it
Ahhh the Alamo...
Ludinda Lawrence was a teen living in Gonzales, Texas. Her father is against war with Mexico, and her oldest brother, Willis, has strong war sentiments. She loses him and 2 of her uncles, at the hands of Santa Anna. We know, the "no quarter" flag went up before fighting began at the Alamo, but few of us realized Santa Anna flew that flag at every Fort. He was bent on killing all Indians, Mexicans, and anyone who could be in rebelllion with Mexico.
Grim Facts:
182 men in Alamo ***
Lauren
This was a really good installment. It had me near in tears close to the end (No, I don't think I'm spoiling anything there; anybody who knows what happened at the Alamo should be able to guess that much). Characters were very enjoyable, and there was great dramatic tension throughout. In fact, if I had any one particular complaint about this book, it's that it's maybe a little too polished. A little too much description and direct dialogue that makes it a little tricky to hold suspension of dis ...more
Tenille Shade
Nov 07, 2010 Tenille Shade rated it it was amazing
This is probably my all time favorite read-aloud for 4th graders. I have read it to my students for the last 9 years, and I cry every time we find out that Willis and Uncle Issac die in the Alamo. The scene during the Runaway Scrape is powerfully written. The students have a very clear picture of what life was like during the Texas Revolution, and I think the novel does a beautiful job helping build background knowledge about pioneer life. The kids learn about dogtrots, chamber pots, hog-killing ...more
♥Robin ♥
Jul 28, 2013 ♥Robin ♥ rated it did not like it
I was a little disappointed in this book and so far has been my least favorite of this series. I love books written in the diary format but the author clearly doesn't know how to write in this format. Needless to say the writing was really bad. The characters are poorly developed and the plot is seriously lacking. The other thing that I didn't care for was the racism :( The only thing that saves the book is the history. Highly NOT recommended. Compared to the other books in this series, this one ...more
Molly
Aug 02, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Anna
Apr 08, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing
what i think about this book is that you can really understand it if you really read it.sometimes in social studies we learn about william B. Travis in class and my teacher thinks that he is so brave and she concludes if he was still alive she would marrie him and have a great future. i know right my teacher is crazy but she is a great teacher fun and without a word wonderful and i will never forget that 4th grade teacher.
Musiquedevie
Aug 31, 2013 Musiquedevie rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully written and informative look into life in Texas during the battle of the Alamo. I didn't learn much about this time period in school so it was a great lesson. I loved the Lawrence family and Lucinda was a great and relatable character. Halfway through the book I couldn't put it down until I finished it; the writing was vivid and brought the battle to life that I had to see it to the end! Definitely in my top 3 favorites in this great 'Dear America' series!
Amanda
This was a very good book. I can't remember every detail, but it is a good book.

I Love this book it is the best! I read this book in fifth grade, I absolutely loved it. I want to reread it but have not found it since I read it in fifth grade. I recommend it to everyone that is in fifth grade or higher. That’s all for now.
Oct 20, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Since I'm not from Texas I don't really know anything about Texas history. This book helped me understand a lot more about Texas and why they have the ability to leave the United States. What a sad tale. It was a fine book in the series, though.
Chelsea
Aug 14, 2012 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
A fictional story of a little girl with close ties to the battle of the Alamo. The author tells the story in the way a little girl can relate. Very interesting and engaging! I love that they include the true facts about the battle of the Alamo at the end.
Angela
Mar 12, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Girls 8+
This book was really neat - I learned more about the events surrounding the Alamo, as well as Texas Geography. It was also really neat to get to look at it all through a young girl's eyes. However, I did think the whole thing about kissing was a little ridiculous.
Sarah Locke
Feb 23, 2014 Sarah Locke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-girl
This is the book that got me started on the Dear America books. I absolutely loved reading it when I was younger. The introduction to history that all of the Dear America books provide is fantastic for young readers that enjoy history too.
Lola
Aug 21, 2011 Lola rated it really liked it
Is it sad that this is all I really know about the Alamo other than the Davy Crocket thing? I am a history nerd, but this is a huge blind spot in my knowledge. I always enjoy the Dear America books, and this one was no different. Recommended!
Gracie
Apr 23, 2015 Gracie rated it liked it
I never read the Dear America books in school, but I always wanted to. I could definitely see using this diary style book in fourth or fifth grade as a genre section and then writing diary entries based on it.
Adrianna
Aug 18, 2016 Adrianna rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading about Lucinda's day to day experiences in Gonzales, Texas in 1836. I reread this book for the third time. i admired Lucinda's bravery. Everyone during this time worked really hard to survive and help out their family.
Katerina
Dec 23, 2012 Katerina rated it really liked it
This was a decent read, perfect for children that are trying to move from chapter books to novels. Lucy is a great main character, despite the fact that she seems very far removed from the action going on in the novel.
Rebecca Rash
Jan 31, 2014 Rebecca Rash rated it liked it
Didn't really enjoy the writing style of this book - and a more interesting main character could have been chosen. But with every book, there is good even amongst the bad, and I would still recommend reading if one has the time and the notion.
Betty :3 (ibeacupcakekiller)
Jul 12, 2011 Betty :3 (ibeacupcakekiller) rated it did not like it
About a girl who lived in the Alamo.
THE LINE IN THE SAND is when the needed people to fight. They drew a line in the sand, if you would help you would step over the line, everyone stepped over but one man. Good for projects.
Sebastian
Oct 04, 2008 Sebastian rated it liked it
The book is a historical fiction account of the fall of the Alamo. It is from the point of view of a girl named Lucinda Lawrence. She goes through everyday things like being excited about a new set of pencils.
It's a good book to have in the southwest cause it gives a historical look at the area.
Emily
Jul 07, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book was pretty damn sad, to be honest. Her older brother, her uncles, and her crush all die. Of course, being at the Alamo, of course everyone dies.
Donalyn
Apr 27, 2013 Donalyn rated it really liked it
A well-written, engaging, historically accurate account of events before, during, and after the Battle of the Alamo.
Meghan
Nov 29, 2011 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dear-america
All the action going on around Lucinda kept the plot fresh and exciting. The characters were easy to connect to and I could feel what Lucinda was feeling throughout.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Young Adult Novel - Girl Texas Revolution. [s] 4 16 Sep 20, 2016 08:51PM
  • West to a Land of Plenty: The Diary of Teresa Angelino Viscardi
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • Where Have All the Flowers Gone?: The Diary of Molly MacKenzie Flaherty (Dear America)
  • The Great Railroad Race: the Diary of Libby West (Dear America)
  • Dreams In The Golden Country: the Diary of Zipporah Feldman, a Jewish Immigrant Girl, New York City, 1903 (Dear America Series)
  • One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping: The Diary of Julie Weiss (Dear America)
  • Color Me Dark: The Diary of Nellie Lee Love, the Great Migration North, Chicago, Illinois, 1919 (Dear America)
  • A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861 (Dear America)
  • Survival in the Storm: The Dust Bowl Diary of Grace Edwards (Dear America)
  • Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan, Delaware Valley, Pennsylvania, 1763 (Dear America)
  • A Coal Miner's Bride: The Diary of Anetka Kaminska, Lattimer, Pennsylvania, 1896 (Dear America)
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • My Heart is on the Ground: the Diary of Nannie Little Rose, a Sioux Girl, Carlisle Indian School, Pennsylvania, 1880 (Dear America)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)
Sherry Garland is the award-winning author of 30 books for children, teens and adults.
More about Sherry Garland...

Dear America (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • A Journey to the New World: The Diary of Remember Patience Whipple, Mayflower, 1620 (Dear America)
  • The Winter of Red Snow: The Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1777 (Dear America)
  • When Will This Cruel War Be Over?: The Civil War Diary of Emma Simpson, Gordonsville, Virginia, 1864 (Dear America)
  • A Picture of Freedom: The Diary of Clotee, a Slave Girl, Belmont Plantation, Virginia 1859 (Dear America)
  • Across The Wide And Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary Of Hattie Campbell
  • So Far From Home: the Diary of Mary Driscoll, an Irish Mill Girl, Lowell, Massachusetts, 1847 (Dear America)
  • I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly: The Diary of Patsy, a Freed Girl, Mars Bluff, South Carolina, 1865 (Dear America)
  • West to a Land of Plenty: The Diary of Teresa Angelino Viscardi