Start by marking “Sort It Out!” as Want to Read:
Sort It Out!

Sort It Out!

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Packy the Packrat's mother has had enough! It's time that he sorts through his ever-growing collection of trinkets and puts them away. Told in rhyme, the text leads the reader to participate in the sorting process by categorizing Packy's piles of things according to like characteristics and attributes. The reader response is worked into the rhyme, building a sense of antic ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Arbordale Publishing (first published March 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sort It Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sort It Out!

Angie
Teachers like it for the demonstration of "sorting." Kids like it for the pictures.

And I like it well enough. Just don't love it because it seems just a little bit forced. Just a little.
Destiny
Loved this book! I liked that there is a great activity that goes with it and you can have a class or small group sort the things to see if they come up wit anything similar to Packy. It is a fun book that teaches a great lesson on sorting and how you can sort so many different ways. The next generation needs to learn that there is different ways to do thing and no on way is always right. If it was then we would go no where as a society or people. The way of thinking differently is how change is ...more
Katrina Gray
A good book to talk about classification with a child or class. A little confusing if you are trying to follow the storyline. The mother asks the child to clean up his things, and he starts sorting it, but sometimes the same thing ends up in different piles because it has more than one characteristic, so besides the hand stealing things in the background, it's hard to keep track of everything the mouse brought home.
Rebecca Murphy
This is a great book to use for teaching children about categorizing and organizing. It teaches the many different ways that things can be different while still having similarities. There is also a lesson idea at the end, which is always helpful when teaching. It's a cute and educational story that would be great to use in a classroom.
Morgan Sommers
This is a great book to help children learn how to categorizing objects! I thought it was a cute story to go along with learning. The pictures in it were great! They went along with the story and I loved how they focused mainly on the object they were categorizing.
Lynnette
I absolutely loved this book. The pictures fit perfectly with what is happening and the writing is very predictable and easy to read. This is a great science book to read with children when teaching them about sorting things and rhyming words.
Alissa Sparks
This book is an excellent way to have an actual bag of items to help teach the class to thing more. Kindergarten through first graders would probably enjoy this book more.
April
This book is great to use in a preschool. It has a fun little story that teaches how to sort. You can use it to show students there are different ways to sort.
Susie
Classifying book. Super cute. I will need a little checkered bag to hold the items. Great for preschool and kindergarten.
Morgan Bradshaw
I love the interaction that we can have with the students. As well it is a very good way to teach sorting and colors.
Julie Surface
it was a cute science book.
Tons of activities to do too.
Kylie
Sort it Out is a book that follows Packy the pack rat as he sorts out the things he has taken for the day.

I loved this book. I think it combines a great use of rhyme with a simple teaching of sorting a classifying. I would use this book in my classroom when talking about similarities and differences, as well as when talking about sorting out objects. I loved that the author included some teacher idea/resources in the back. What a great book for an elementary/early childhood classroom!
Jennifer Berg
This fun rhyming book is an excellent resource to be used in classrooms during lessons on sorting. Taking what seem to be completely unrelated objects, the main character shows students how many similarities between these objects can be found, when looking at a variety of traits. This book will expose your students to an abundance of ways that objects can be grouped together, and will get your students excited to sort objects themselves!
Cheryl
Good concept book to explain sorting and classifying things. Might use this as background for lesson in library arrangement. Illustrations of mice characters are quite precious. All in all, I was a bit surprised to learn this is a contender for the 2009 Children's Choice award, given its didactic tone. I'll give it a try with the kids.
Sheri
This is a cute story about a pack rat with too much stuff and having to sort it out and clean his room and clutter. Great for working with math concepts in classroom of sorting. I would recommend it to early elementary teachers. Cute introduction to finding the similarities and differences in items and rhyming text.
Destinee Sutton
May 26, 2009 Destinee Sutton rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool, maybe Kindergarten
Shelves: picture-books
A rhyming picture book about classification with lots of puzzles and activities included. I wasn't captivated by it, but it won a Children's Choice award, and I won't argue with that. The funny thing is I thought in the end it was pretty lousy of the little mouse's mom to steal all his stuff.
MissInformation
Fun book about mouse who sorts out his treasures into different categories at the end of the day. Rhymes, and includes info and activities at the end- even has "cards" that you can copy and sort into categories.

Wish the illustrations were cuter, but excellent for educational fun.
☆Brittany☆
Great sorting & concept book.
Good enough that had I known about it a few years ago I would have bought it for Ethan. I think it would be a waste to buy this book now since he's almost in kindergarten & knows a lot of the stuff in the book.
Edna
Really cute book explaining how a child-mouse sorts his stuff - the process and items are described in rhymes making it fun to read while teaching children how to categorize "things."
Ruth
Cute story about a pack rat who sorts some things he brings home into different groups. There are some activities/cards you can cut out in the back for more learning. Best for ages 3-5.
Michael
Great book for teaching sorting by different categories! 4 years old was pushing it but she figured most of them out. Fun bold drawings.
Hilary Mclellan
A cute 2X2 book this year. Would be a great book for primary teachers teaching sorting and classifying or properties of matter.
Tasha Sylvester
This is a cute book that goes along great with our math lessons and has characters with traits very much like my own girls.
Tina
"sorting, collections, mice, vocabulary, guess the rhyme, activity section in the back"
Thia
Apr 03, 2009 Thia added it
Shelves: preschool
sorting guessing
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons Bird With the Heart of a Mountain Ten for Me The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons: Lucy at Sea The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons: Everything You Need to Know to