Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)

Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  8,399 ratings  ·  495 reviews
When the Devil needs a rogue demon killed, who does he call?

The Player: Necromance-for-hire Dante Valentine is choosy about her jobs. Hot tempered and with nerves of steel, she can raise the dead like nobody's business. But one rainy Monday morning, everything goes straight to hell.

The Score: The Devil hires Dante to eliminate a rogue demon: Vardimal Santino. In return,...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Orbit (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Working for the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working for the Devil

Magic Bites by Ilona AndrewsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadGuilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton
Kick Ass Female Heroines in Paranormal Genre
35th out of 524 books — 1,117 voters
Marked by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson NoelFallen by Lauren KateThe Awakening and The Struggle by L.J. SmithTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Series I've Given Up On...
146th out of 659 books — 2,605 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
cause I'm in need of some restraint

I blame Buffy for the rash of ass-kicking, smart-talking, bitchy female vampire slayers and the legions of sidekicks who inexplicably give them unconditional love.

I don't mean to imply that loving Buffy herself was inexplicable. Buffy was something special. Even when she was bitchy, she was prone to saying things like, "I'm cookie dough. I'm not done baking." Even as s...more
Gloria Mundi
Based on the author's name and the title I was fully expecting a neo-gothic monstrosity of red velvet, dripping blood and undying love. This sort of thing:

Ironically, the book does feature some red velvet and lots of blood, yet it was surprisingly good nonetheless.

This is the story of Dante "Danny" Valentine, a talented necromance and ass-kicking bounty hunter, who is hired (read forced) by the Prince of Hell himself, Lucifer (the Devil is dressed in black jeans and t-shirt, is barefoot, androgy...more
Stacey
Tried to expand my horizons in the Urban Fantasy category. This looked really promising, but has turned out to be hard to get into. Written in a future that is not fully explained, with name dropping of made up people, places, and things that don't have any description. Unfortunately, it might never get finished...

Update 10 Oct 08 - I have come to the conclusion that this is one of those that will sit on the shelf until I feel guilty enough to finish it, or maybe the rest of my collection burns...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Working For The Devil was the perfect book when I needed to read something fast-paced. I’ve been looking for a good Urban Fantasy book for weeks. I tried Touched By An Alien, which was crap. I tried Spider’s Bite, which was crap as well. I didn’t want to try Working for The Devil because of the cover. I think it’s pretty bad.

But don’t be fooled, this book is really good. I’m extremely grateful for my book buddies insisting on me reading it.

Oh those characters. Japhrimel. Dante. Those action sc...more
MK (Food actvist)
Feb 23, 2009 MK (Food actvist) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of futuristic/supernatural romance, demons
Recommended to MK (Food actvist) by: Paranormal and Urban Fantasy Monthly Reads Group on GR
The only thing for me that was hard to digest was the futuristic language that was wrapped around every material, object and person's job title.

Dante Valentine is a Necromance(able to raise spirits of the dead and relate their final wishes) and a bounty hunter. She is contracted by The Prince of Hell (Lucifer) and given a demon familiar (who needs blood, sex or fire to live). She is ordered to retrieve an artifact called the Egg from Santino, a serial killer she has crossed paths with before.

T...more
Kathryn
I finished this days ago and have been meaning to write something about it, more along the lines of my impressions since it seems I am incapable of writing true reviews. That is another tangent...I dislike reading reviews that outline a plot or rephrase the book synopsis. I look at reviews of books because I already know what the book is about and I want to hear about reactions and emotions, so I guess traditional reviews tend to bore me.

Anyways...this book reminded me of the first book in Rach...more
Tara
I'm very impressed. Usually the first book in a UF series leaves me unimpressed and reluctantly reaching for the next one in hopes of improvement. Not so with this book. Working for the Devil is the first book in Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine Series. Dante Valentine (a female, as is her friend Gabe, by the way) is a necromance-for-hire. This book is set in a what seems like a distant future, but seems very much like the basic future a lot people use (ie. plasma rifles and hover crafts, and...more
Jess
Fantastic!! Went out and bought this the other day after seeing some of my friends had it on the their to read list. Bought it, and read it within a day. Then before I even finished this one, I already bought the second book.

This story is about a necromance called Dante Valentine. She is considered one of the best necromance's in the world. So good in fact, that the devil himself has asked her to do him a favor. He wants her to kill a demon who has escaped from hell, and has stolen what he calls...more
Erin ♥ (Paperback Stash)
There’s something about demon themed Urban Fantasy I just dig up. There’s always such creatively developed worlds, for one thing. This one having Lucifer was a turn off from the blurb as it sounded far-fetched and cheesy, but the way it was done made sense and worked well.

The main focus is on Dante as she tries to uncover, working with the at first unwilling Japhrimel, where the hiding demon is who has killed her former friend and lover and a slew of others. Japh has a vendetta of his own, which...more
Jamie
This one fell flat for me. There was too much magic, for one thing. Sorting through the jargon reminded me of trying to read cyberpunk. I prefer a subtle touch - urban fantasy that's a little more grounded in reality.

The writing was also a little repetitive; for example, I found myself counting how many times Japhrimel told Dante to "Breathe. Just Breathe."

I did like the author's voice, and there was potential in the Dante/Japhrimel relationship, but it didn't go anywhere beyond: "I have every r...more
Felicia
Nov 22, 2008 Felicia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anita Blake fans, other urban fantasy fans
Loved this book! I cried at the end, really well written and engrossing. NEXT!!
Morgan
If it stood alone I would have given it 3 stars.

I had managed to get my hands on book 1 & 4 of this series. Skipping to book four made me so aggravated that I know I will not be picking up 2 or 3. I will also not be finishing book 4. The inconsistencies in the behavior of the main character, and the lack of all the characters I enjoyed by book 4 just totally turned me off.

My problem with the first book just by itself was the fact that the author tried to create her own mythology. It is all f...more
W.
I'm a sucker for demons. That said, it took me two attempts to read this book. The first attempt ended after about twenty pages; I set it aside for about a year, and picked it back up again after a long run of reading nothing but YA. I needed some good adult demon action.

The plot is very interesting--but that's really the only thing that compelled me to finish the novel. Danny Valentine herself came across as an enormous, one-dimensional jerk (to put it lightly). When she's met with anything les...more
Inara
What would be your answer when Lucifer, Prince of Hell would offer you a job and you get two options: if you don´t take it you would be killed or if you take it you could be killed? Right! Dante Valentine a necromance and bounty hunter chooses the second possiblity at least she´d have a chance to survive. An important artifact the "Egg" has been stolen by the demon Vardimal Santino from Hell and Dante´s task is to hunt Santino down, kill him, grab the Egg and bring it back to Lucifer. Seems easy...more
Elizabeth
I picked this book up because I finished Living With The Dead while visiting my in-laws and wanted something new to read for the trip back. It was one of those books I always picked up, thought looked interesting, but never quite got around to reading- probably because it seemed like more of the same old, same old I get from so many other urban fantasy authors.

It was not.

Saintcrow blends sci-fi and fantasy pretty seamlessly, creating a world where hover crafts and cyber-age drugs blend with de...more
Karen Healey
I love me some urban fantasy where the worldbuilding has been carefully considered and there's years of history that support the difference between those worlds and ours. If you have vampires and paranormals and demons wandering around, it pays to have thought about how that has greatly affected the economy, social services, government and law enforcement.

Lilith Saintcrow produces probably the best worldbuilding I've ever seen in adult urban fantasy. So much so that I could forgive her (awesome...more
Shelley
Apr 28, 2012 Shelley rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who hate their brains
This is possibly the worse book I've had the misfortune to read. I wrote a (very) long review for Amazon about how terrible this book was, but that review has disappeared into the ether after I submitted it and it went for 'review'. I think it was longer than some essays I've written. Suffice to say I don't have the energy to do that again. But the key points:
* Poor, poor writing style including basic grammatical mistakes
* Vastly unlikeable or sympathetic 'heroine'
* Plot holes you could drive a...more
Michelle
I read a lot of urban fantasy, and I enjoyed this one because the take was different. For one thing, it incorporated a science fiction setting, and I liked that. I also liked the fact that it was dark but not too dark. And because I'm not big on reading intimate sexual scenes, I was pleased that this book didn't go into a lot of detail. Additionally, the plot was exciting and easy to follow.

What I didn't like was the lack of characterization. I didn't feel close to Dante, and the secondary chara...more
Anita
Oct 20, 2008 Anita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy fans
I loved this book - it sucked me in on the first page and kept me interested to the very end. It's an action-adventure urban fantasy with a hint of romance set in a future where the world is controlled mostly by a single government and/or the Mob. The dominant religions are now based on magic, and magic users are licenced and acknowledged by the government. Danny/Dante Valentine is a necromancer and occasional bounty hunter. The devil drafts her to find a run-away demon, but doesn't tell her exa...more
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit:

Dante Valentine is a freelance Necromance — clients hire her to communicate with dead people so they can solve murders, settle estate disputes, etc. When the Devil wants to hire Dante to find a rogue demon named Vardimal Santino, and to recover the important object he’s stolen from Hell, he gives her no choice but to obey. Dante doesn’t want to work for the devil, but she does want to keep living. To help with that, the Devil as...more
Andrea
I am a sucker for paranormal romance, and while I knew from reviews that it was quite light on the romance, I was still very interested. Luckily, I was not disappointed at all.

Dante is a very strong female character, but she feels more real than other similar characters I've read (Anita Blake, Mercy Thompson). She's tough, but it's not unbelievable. She gets tired, pissy, and has moments where she needs to cry. I like that mix.

I also like that the book was obviously set in the future but it di...more
eve
Feb 18, 2014 eve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
I recently bought the complete Dante Valentine series. Book 1 starts with Dante Valentine, a powerful Necromancer and bounty hunter on the side, who gets a offer she can't refuse from the Prince of Hell himself - although in this future world, Hell and demons aren't exactly the Christian brimstone type, although they aren't altruistic either. We meet Dante's friends, allies, a former lover with unresolved issues, and did I mention she is tracking a serial-killer demon? Gritty, cool world and mag...more
Devon
Good Stuff: I especially enjoyed the demon Japhrimel.

Observations: Female first person pov, swords fights, gun fights, sword and gun fights, future tech, magic, demons, death, lost loves, grit, pain and danger.

For some weird reason, I went looking for this in the thriller section of my bookstore (I must have been brain dead that day. Or maybe I keyed on the "James Bond" -ish cover and just figured it'd be over in the secret agent books.) I finally found it under fantasy in the fantasy section b...more
M.L. Hamilton
The story was entertaining, but Ms. Saintcrow could use a good editor. There were too many awkward sentences and absolutely wrong words used through the course of the book to allow me to give it a higher rating. Plus the foul language got old after awhile. It was no longer shock value, just lazy dialogue.

With some editing and less use of a word every teenager uses for every single part of speech, you might have yourself something here. Worth a second effort to fix.
Anne
Hmmm. Kinda disappointed with this one. When I first started reading it I thought it had some serious potential, but by the end I was not really impressed.
The story is (I believe) set in the future, or at the very least in a world very similar to our world. The jury is still out for me on whether or not the fact that they had hovercrafts and such was cool, or just an unnecessary distraction.
Dante (or Danny) is a necromance who moonlights as a bounty hunter to help pay the bills. Cool. She's a p...more
Amanda
Dante Valentine's working relationship with the Devil wasn't her choice - but you don't turn down a contract with Lucifer and live.

Hired to kill fugitive Vardimal Santino, Dante can count as allies only a demon familiar she doesn't trust and a small band of psychics. The thing is, Dante doesn't need friends, she needs a miracle. Because the first time Dante Valentine met Santino, she almost died.

My Review

Danny Valentine is dead. At least, she will be soon, since she's now working for the Devil....more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
I had purchased the complete series edition ages ago and it sat gathering dust on my TBR pile. In a clean up I finally got to reading the first book, Working for the Devil and wow what a surprise. It was really good.

Dante Valentine lives in a alternate reality where after "the Awakening" the supernatural world is entwined with our own world. She is a necromance who can commune with the dead but she is surprised one morning when she summoned for an audience with the Prince of Hell himself. And t...more
Bry
Wow that was definitely different from what I expected and I really enjoyed it as a result. Most of the time the first book in a UF series is nothing but a MASSIVE info dump with little characterization given to the secondary characters and plot as the author focuses on the main character and the readers reaction to that individual. This book did not do that. I really got a great feeling for Japh, Gabe, Eddie, and even Jace as they helped Dante struggle to grunt down a rouge villain at the behes...more
Rhianon
Just finished a reread.

Discovered a number of details that I'd forgotten (my first read was years ago now). Repetitious descriptions and thoughts, combined with the duplication of prose as the character reiterates thoughts out loud, made for some rough reading.

The characters and the premise and world-building, however, are strong enough to forgive a great deal in this one. Japhrimel steals the stage, and this reader's heart, almost from the first scene. There are many moments when the story feel...more
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Working for the Devil 9 142 Nov 27, 2012 08:27PM
  • The Devil Inside (Morgan Kingsley, #1)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1)
  • Dark Time (Mortal Path, #1)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Blood Drive (Anna Strong Chronicles, #2)
  • Personal Demons (Megan Chase, #1)
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • The Scent of Shadows (Signs of the Zodiac #1)
  • The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss #1)
  • Firestorm (Weather Warden, #5)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as an Air Force brat, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, in a house full of stray cats and children.
More about Lilith Saintcrow...
Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2) Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1) The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3) Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine, #4) To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)

“It truly sucks to doubt your friends when you only have one or two of them, I realized.” 36 likes
“He wiped away the tears, tenderly, and I forgot to weep as he told me silently everything I always wanted to hear. ” 35 likes