Start by marking “The Golden Egg Book (Little Golden Storybook)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Egg Book (Little Golden Storybook)

The Golden Egg Book (Little Golden Storybook)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  895 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Once there was a little bunny. He was all alone. One day he found an egg. He could hear something moving inside the egg. What was it?

So begins the Golden Easter classic about a bunny—and a little duck that is about to hatch!
Published January 5th 1998 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Egg Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Egg Book

Robin
Sep 28, 2007 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites, childrens
This book, especially its pictures, must be indelibly imprinted upon my unconscious from having had it read to me since infancy. When I saw it again recently, for the first time in X years, my mind regressed into a three-year old's, and I wanted only to sit quietly and stare at the cute lovable sincere innocent playful images for hours. Sober.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I don't think this is one of the more widely known books of Brown's but it was the first book I remember in my life, period. The book was physically huge, and although I'm sure my perspective is way off, I know that there is a size much larger than this typical Golden book. Ours was falling apart from having been read so much, held together with yellowing tape.

But it was my favorite book, and I have very fond memories of it. It's a sweet story about a bunny that finds an egg and is curious abou
Rebecca Boehringer
I so enjoyed this book when I was a little girl. I remember the illustrations and how they made me smile. I am looking forward to sharing this book with my grandchildren.
Vivian
Aug 20, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
An egg could be a sort of a box. Since the spring Easter holiday would be the weekend following the story time on "boxes" this story was included.

I happen to have a tiny plush bunny exactly the size of the bunny illustrations in this book. I have a plastic egg the size of the egg in this book. I have a plush duck that fits in the egg and is the same size and coloring as the duck in the illustrations. While reading the story I held the book in one hand and held the bunny, egg, or duck over the il
Wendy Unsworth
My children loved this book. The illustrations are wonderful, beautifully proportioned and colourful. But the story always bothered me a little and on re-reading it to my grandchildren I find I feel just the same. Though young children have few reservations about being naughty themselves they do maintain a strong sense of right and wrong and the duck pushing the bunny with his foot, jumping on him, throwing a little rock at him and rolling him down a hill provoked a barrage of questions from my ...more
Mikal O'Boyle
Mar 23, 2016 Mikal O'Boyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't find much wrong with Golden Books. The stories are classic, the illustrations are classic, and kids love them. This particular book, The Golden Egg Book, is very heartwarming. Even though the duck's response at the end is a bit short, the story nevertheless is innocent and sweet. Friendship, especially two animals/friends that are different from one another, is a timeless theme.
Emerson and Theodore
Somehow we missed reviewing this gem last Easter. I believe it was an Easter gift at least one Easter ago. He loves this book. It is a unique large edition from the Little Golden Books. This larger size really helps as the binding is much better than the other little goldens and the title of the book is visible on the binding (the regular sized goldens do not have the title which is awkward on the bookshelf).

So the Golden Egg is encountered by a little rabbit. The rabbit has not idea what it is
Kelsey Wagner
Nov 18, 2012 Kelsey Wagner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Illustrated by Leonard Weisgard, this is a charming story that is told about a little bunny who finds an egg and a friend when lonely. He hears something inside of the egg and tries to guess what it is. He tries to get what is inside to come out, but cannot. Finally, he gets tired and falls asleep. With a few pecks and a crack, a little yellow duck comes out. The duck tries to wake the bunny up and once he does, they become friends. This book could be used in a classroom to teach about friendshi ...more
Diana S
A Classic! I'm especially added to our Easter reading list of books. I'm so glad was able to find this 1947 version. :D
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations by Leonard Weisgard are spectacular and accompany a humorous story about how a bunny treats an egg and then how the hatchling treats the bunny when he is asleep. A great book for spring!
Kati Polodna
I read this book and drooled over the illustrations so many times as a child that the back cover is missing from my copy. Still love it!
Jill
Apr 09, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this is adorable. Written by the author of Goodnight, Moon this is a completely charming tale of a bunny discovering an egg and his wonder about what it contains.

I started reading this to one child but soon all three were paying rapt attention. The illustrations are so like my favorite old Golden Book illustrations that I was quickly won over.

Why isn't this more well-known? Maybe it is and I'm just late to the party. If you haven't read this and you enjoyed Golden books when you were a child
Kathryn
Jun 28, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Of course I read this to my daughter when she was little. I'd forgotten. Since reading Goodnight June by Sarah Jio it's made me want to reread anything and everything by Margaret Wise Brown.
Russell
Bunny fails at B&E, becomes friends with his intended victim anyway. Friendships have been based upon worse. Instead of malicious behavior against a defenseless egg, the rabbit should have gone to sleep in an oddly colored room with bizarre objects like a bowl of gruel.
Abbie
Mar 30, 2016 Abbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the pictures are lovely but the story is inane and the last line "no one was ever alone again" is just awful. Also the duck should say he's from the egg. Pushing and throwing rocks at eggs and sleeping bunnies is not really the most enriching subject matter.
Mae
May 06, 2015 Mae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite quirky read-alouds of all time, mostly because of the line "What could this little fur thing be?". Has great appeal for kids and grown-ups alike because of the pure ridiculousness. Definitely tracking down a copy for my personal collection.
Bree
Mar 24, 2014 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
repetitious in a non-annoying way
beautiful art by Weisgard
usually shelved at the library as an Easter book -- it's not!
has a bunny and a duck
(I haven't read this to a preschooler so I give it 4, but I imagine my kids would have given it a 5)
Rita
Jul 01, 2016 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-youth
ONe of my very favorite books that I read to my kids.
To my sense, it is one of the few children's books that is really on the level of children.
3-4 years old [perhaps could read to 2 year as well]
Christina
Apr 05, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
When I read this book earlier today, I immediately remembered it from my childhood. The story and pictures are simple, precious, and timeless. Little Golden Books will always have a place in my heart.
Cindy
Jan 06, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this book are so beautiful. The thing that bothered me was the fact that the duck pushed the bunny down the hill, that is a no no for me. Anyway, overall it's still a nice story
Emma
Apr 21, 2015 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-2015
A curious bunny finds an egg and wonders what is in it.

The Golden Egg Book was really cute but why is that the title? The egg wasn't gold. So confused. I was also annoyed to have to stop to tell my son every other sentence, "no, kicking isn't nice" and, "no, we shouldn't throw rocks."
Alex
The Golden Egg Book is a charming story about a little bunny who finds an egg and a friend when he is lonely. He hears something inside egg and tries to guess what it is. He tries to get what’s inside to come out but can’t. Finally he gets tired and falls asleep. Then with a few pecks and a crack, a little yellow duck comes out. The duck tries to wake the bunny up and once he does they become friends and the bunny is no longer lonely.

This book could be used in class to teach about friendship or
Elizabeth
We LOVED our first reading of this book! I loved the illustrations and the boys' thought the antics of the bunny and duckling were hilarious. Sweet book.
Marya
May 18, 2015 Marya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is only an Easter book insofar as it mentions a bunny and his little yellow feathered friend. Warning: there's a significant amount of egg abuse.
Laura Scheller
Apr 25, 2015 Laura Scheller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Date: 3/19

Author: Margaret Wise Brown; Illustrated by Leonard Weisguard

Title: The Golden Egg Book

Plot: A bunny comes upon a egg and tries to figure out what is in it.

Setting: the forest

Characters: Bunny and Duck

Point of View:First person

Theme: Changes within ourselves

Style: Picture book

Copyright: 1947

Your Reaction: Beautiful illustrations, with a simple story that is great for teaching point of view.

Picture book
Amy
Sep 23, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever and adorable is this happy story. I love the giggles that came when I read this to my daughter. The pictures are beautiful too.
Ben
A cute, funny story simply told of a little bunny all alone in the world, with a parallel story of a duckling and friendship.
Karen
Dec 02, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautiful book that when my son picked it out of the library at the end of November I didn't complain.
Angie Quantrell
Mar 07, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Love the imagination of the bunny in this book. Oh, the possibilities of what could be inside an egg...
Jenna
A small, brown bunny comes across an unidentified egg in the woods. He wonders what could be inside the egg: a little boy, an elephant, another bunny? He can hear sounds coming from the egg and he investigates. The bunny jumps on the egg and rolls it down the hill, but still the egg doesn't hatch. Finally the bunny goes to sleep and when he wakes up he has an unexpected friend...

Children will laugh when the bunny tries to guess what's inside the mystery egg. The Golden Egg Book shows us that cur
What's The Name o...: Children's book about bunny [s] 6 50 Apr 05, 2013 07:29AM
  • Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep
  • Arthur and the True Francine
  • Gingerbread Mouse
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • Baby Dear (Little Golden Book)
  • Found
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...