Start by marking “The Golden Egg Book (Little Golden Storybook)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Egg Book (Little Golden Storybook)

The Golden Egg Book (Little Golden Storybook)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Once there was a little bunny. He was all alone. One day he found an egg. He could hear something moving inside the egg. What was it?

So begins the Golden Easter classic about a bunny—and a little duck that is about to hatch!
Published January 5th 1998 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Egg Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Egg Book

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I don't think this is one of the more widely known books of Brown's but it was the first book I remember in my life, period. The book was physically huge, and although I'm sure my perspective is way off, I know that there is a size much larger than this typical Golden book. Ours was falling apart from having been read so much, held together with yellowing tape.

But it was my favorite book, and I have very fond memories of it. It's a sweet story about a bunny that finds an egg and is curious abou...more
Robin
Sep 28, 2007 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites, childrens
This book, especially its pictures, must be indelibly imprinted upon my unconscious from having had it read to me since infancy. When I saw it again recently, for the first time in X years, my mind regressed into a three-year old's, and I wanted only to sit quietly and stare at the cute lovable sincere innocent playful images for hours. Sober.
Kelsey Wagner
Illustrated by Leonard Weisgard, this is a charming story that is told about a little bunny who finds an egg and a friend when lonely. He hears something inside of the egg and tries to guess what it is. He tries to get what is inside to come out, but cannot. Finally, he gets tired and falls asleep. With a few pecks and a crack, a little yellow duck comes out. The duck tries to wake the bunny up and once he does, they become friends. This book could be used in a classroom to teach about friendshi...more
Vivian
An egg could be a sort of a box. Since the spring Easter holiday would be the weekend following the story time on "boxes" this story was included.

I happen to have a tiny plush bunny exactly the size of the bunny illustrations in this book. I have a plastic egg the size of the egg in this book. I have a plush duck that fits in the egg and is the same size and coloring as the duck in the illustrations. While reading the story I held the book in one hand and held the bunny, egg, or duck over the il...more
Kathryn
Of course I read this to my daughter when she was little. I'd forgotten. Since reading Goodnight June by Sarah Jio it's made me want to reread anything and everything by Margaret Wise Brown.
T Crockett
I love how tactile the action of the book is. The little bunny rolls the eggs, listens to the egg, even kicks the egg. It reminded me of some exercises I'd done recently in a mindfulness class.

The illustrations are adorable. I read the book with a preschooler who thoroughly enjoyed it. As we read we acted out with our hands and bodies all that the bunny did. I'm not sure she understood the end, but I bet she will next year.
Wendy Unsworth
My children loved this book. The illustrations are wonderful, beautifully proportioned and colourful. But the story always bothered me a little and on re-reading it to my grandchildren I find I feel just the same. Though young children have few reservations about being naughty themselves they do maintain a strong sense of right and wrong and the duck pushing the bunny with his foot, jumping on him, throwing a little rock at him and rolling him down a hill provoked a barrage of questions from my...more
Bree
Notes:
repetitious in a non-annoying way
beautiful art by Weisgard
usually shelved at the library as an Easter book -- it's not!
has a bunny and a duck
(I haven't read this to a preschooler so I give it 4, but I imagine my kids would have given it a 5)
Alex
The Golden Egg Book is a charming story about a little bunny who finds an egg and a friend when he is lonely. He hears something inside egg and tries to guess what it is. He tries to get what’s inside to come out but can’t. Finally he gets tired and falls asleep. Then with a few pecks and a crack, a little yellow duck comes out. The duck tries to wake the bunny up and once he does they become friends and the bunny is no longer lonely.

This book could be used in class to teach about friendship or...more
Emerson
Somehow we missed reviewing this gem last Easter. I believe it was an Easter gift at least one Easter ago. He loves this book. It is a unique large edition from the Little Golden Books. This larger size really helps as the binding is much better than the other little goldens and the title of the book is visible on the binding (the regular sized goldens do not have the title which is awkward on the bookshelf).

So the Golden Egg is encountered by a little rabbit. The rabbit has not idea what it is...more
Amy
Clever and adorable is this happy story. I love the giggles that came when I read this to my daughter. The pictures are beautiful too.
Jenna
A small, brown bunny comes across an unidentified egg in the woods. He wonders what could be inside the egg: a little boy, an elephant, another bunny? He can hear sounds coming from the egg and he investigates. The bunny jumps on the egg and rolls it down the hill, but still the egg doesn't hatch. Finally the bunny goes to sleep and when he wakes up he has an unexpected friend...

Children will laugh when the bunny tries to guess what's inside the mystery egg. The Golden Egg Book shows us that cur...more
Dana Pressnell
Old story and illustrations. What is inside the egg? Curious Bunny now has a new friend.
Sandra Heinzman
One of my all-time golden oldies kids book!
Ariel Cummins
Super-classic story about a bunny who finds an egg. Despite his best efforts, he can't break the egg to find out what's in it. So, he does what any of us would do - he takes a nap! The little duck who hatches out discovers a little rabbit. But despite his best efforts, he cannot wake him up! Until he does, and they are friends forever.

Classic children's illustrations accompany the text in this large format book.

A very cute story, with very old-fashioned illustrations, will appeal to many. Good...more
Stephanie
I bought this book, The Golden Egg Book, by Margaret Wise Brown, for my older daughter after having my friend and fellow reader recommend it -- a felicitous purchase. I had no idea what the book was about, but thought the cover looked very Easter-ish. It is a delightful story of a bunny and a new-hatched duck that I hope my older daughter will someday view as a metaphor for the birth of her new baby sister; it is my fervent desire that my two girls will have a deep, abiding, and loving friendshi...more
Kathryn
3.5 STARS
Gorgeous illustrations! Five-star worthy! However, the story is rather odd--I'm not sure I was an especial fan of all the kicking and throwing rocks at the egg to try to get whatever was in it to come out :-/ And, the ending sounded like something I would have written when I was five. Sometimes I enjoy Margaret Wise Brown's work, sometimes I just don't get it and this was one of the latter. Still, well worth the read for Leonard Weisgard's illustrations!
jacky
Huh, I didn't even know this was Margaret Wise Brown until I looked it up. I guess that is why the librarian had Good Night Moon pulled out, too.

This was read at story time for Easter. It is a prefect non-religious Easter story. It has a bunny, an egg, and eventually a duck. The illustrations are cute. The actions of the baby animals are a bit naughty, but forgivable because they are babies and animals. Super sweet ending.
Erika
OMG. This is really cute!!!!
I found this book at the antique store.
Even though I've never heard of this book before, I fell in love with this at first sight.

The edition that I have is not in this Goodreads site. Wonder why.

Mine is illustrated by Lilian Obligado and published in 1973.
(It says it was first published in 1947.)
I can't upload the picture, but it's really cute and heart-warming book.
Ginna
The little bunny has many ideas what could be inside the egg, so ask your children: What do you think is inside the eeg?
Read the first part of the story and give each student an egg cutout. Ask them to draw what they guess is inside, then finish reading the story to reveal what is inside the egg.

Fun activity!
Lots of discussion opportunities and self to text connections might appear :)
SmarterLilac
Simple, but there is a seriousness about the prose of this book that makes it appealing never the less. I can't really figure out what it's supposed to be about, though. Pregnancy? Introducing children to the concept of a new baby or a sibling? None of the above?

Beautifully illustrated, too. A childhood favorite, and maybe why I became obsessed with painting eggs as a teenager.
CLM
I got very nostalgic when I came across this book at Borders the other night, having completely forgotten a) that it existed, and b) that Margaret Wise Brown wrote it. Our copy fell apart from hard and affectionate use, so I suggested my mother buy it for my nephew's fourth birthday which is (suitably) the day before Easter.
Leslie
Once there was a little bunny...who found an egg. This story is about what this impatient little bunny does to encourage whatever is inside the egg to come out. After waiting so long that he falls asleep, the egg finally breaks and its recent inhabitant does similar things to wake the sleepy bunny. Truly adorable.
Tim Vandenberg
Beautiful. Nostalgic. Funny patterned-humor. Cute drawings. Refreshing.

From the legendary author of "Goodnight Moon". Reading this book can only make you happy. My 8-year-old daughter delighted in sharing this together with me. A great book for predicting events, causes & effects.
Skylar Burris
Moral: Poke people, kick them, and throw rocks at them, and eventually they'll become your best friend! Or maybe: what goes around comes around? And then, after you get yours, you'll make a best friend! Something like that anyway. Cute pictures.
Gail
Margaret Wise Brown wrote over 100 books. She died at 42. The more i learn about her the more fascinating I think she is. I love the tone of her books. This book is about friendship, and is a perfect Easter book.
Alicia
I grew up with this story and as a child I enjoyed it, but as a grown up I am not very impressed. The bunny worked so hard to break the egg and he should have just been patient and waited for the egg to be ready.
Jessica
This is a charming book for Easter about a little bunny trying to figure out what's in the strange egg he finds. The pictures have a soft, classic look, and the story is easy for even very small children to follow.
Missy
Jan 10, 2008 Missy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little kids
This book FASCINATED me as a child. In loved it and I loved the pictures when the rabbit is thinking of what could possinly be in the egg....that little boy looked son uncomfortable.
What's The Name o...: Children's book about bunny [s] 6 50 Apr 05, 2013 07:29AM
  • Rechenka's Eggs
  • The Easter Egg
  • Here Comes the Easter Cat
  • Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever
  • Tico and the Golden Wings
  • My First Counting Book (Little Golden Book)
  • I Can Fly (Little Golden Book)
  • Charlie Needs a Cloak
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Feathers for Lunch
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p...more
More about Margaret Wise Brown...
Goodnight Moon The Runaway Bunny Big Red Barn Home for a Bunny The Color Kittens (A Little Golden Book)