Karlson on the Roof

Karlson on the Roof (Karlsson-on-the-Roof #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  5,916 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Imagine Smidge's delight when, one day, a little man with a propeller on his back appears hovering at the window! It's Karlson and he lives in a house on the roof. Soon Smidge and Karlson are sharing all sorts of adventures, from tackling thieves and playing tricks to looping the loop and running across the rooftops. Fun and chaos burst from these charming, classic stories...more
Published 2008 by Oxford University Press (first published 1955)

lita
Pasti ada hal yang memancing tawa saat membaca buku anak-anak. Kepolosan mereka dalam memandang sebuah hal, yang sering kali luput dari perhatian orang dewasa, sering tercetus dalam celetukan dan pertanyaan mereka yang sulit untuk dijawab.

Lillebror, misalnya. Bocah berusia tujuh tahun yang bernama asli Svante Svantesson punya pertanyaan dan pernyataan yang membuat saya tertawa terbahak-bahak saat membacanya. Misalnya ini:

Boleh tidak aku menikah dengan Ibu saja?” tanya Lillebror.
“Rasanya tidak bi
Manny
The early Astrid Lindgren books are hysterically funny, and work equally well for both child and adult readers. The problem is that the two audiences don't find the same things amusing. My Swedish wife said that her grandmother sometimes read this book aloud to her when she was a very small girl. Every now and then, Grandma would have to stop, she was laughing too much. Elisabeth tells me she'd glare at her and say "Shut up and READ!"

In this book, Lillebror (literally, "little brother"), is abo...more
Alina
This has been my favorite growing up, and I will definitely read it to my children. It's a shame that it's virtually unknown to American audience.
Alinarudenko
My favorite childhood book
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this a number of years ago and hated it. What bothered me--appalled me, really--was that this young boy is being encouraged to disobey his parents and sneak out with a strange man who is his neighbor. Granted, this book was written in a more innocent era, and what is allowed in European children's books seems to be rather different from what is allowed in children's books here in the U.S. I notice that in the new illustrations Karlson is depicted as younger, rather than as a little old ma...more
Katerina
My co-worker bought it recently for her 6 years old daughter and we started to reread it out loud in the middle of the office, laughing and cheering like kids. Our boss portrayed Karllson and our office manager managed to be Freken Bok. Just 20 pages of this book and bunch of so called ‘adults’ returned to their childhood.
Brilliant, kind and humorous book.
Radostina
Макар да е сред класиките в детската литература, Карлсон, който живее на покрива е книга, която, незнайно как, съм пропуснала, въпреки че четях много. И тъй като не съм я прочела, когато е трябвало, за да мога да я оценя по достойнство, сега се наложи на стари години да я чета заедно с дъщеря си. Е, не ми хареса толкова, колкото очаквах, но не смея да дам нисък рейтинг, защото все пак аудиторията на тази книжка е поне с 20 години по-млада от мен :) Затова давам четири звезди /след консултация с...more
Kungkang Kangkung
Awalnya saya ingin sekali membuang buku ini di bab-bab awal. Bagaimana tidak? Ini buku anak-anak dan saya mempunyai pemikiran sebagai berikut.

Kalau saya punya anak dan membaca buku ini kemudian dia mengikuti jejak kenakalan Karlsson, saya takkan habis pikir. Semisal pada saat anak saya merusak mainannya atau hampir membakar seluruh rumah, anak saya akan beralasan yang melakukan adalah Karlsson (atau bisa saja kelak bernama lain, tergantung khayalan anak-anak saya kelak), atau menjawab seperti Ka...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Cute enough, if you can accept that "Smidge" (as the little brother is known as in the English version) is fond of the little man despite his strangeness, greed, and unreliability. The 'jiggery-pokery' with the burglars was pretty darn clever.

But there were other odd bits that threw me off, too. Just the fact that the children's names were 'translated' but the town names weren't was troublesome. And I guess the following is supposed to be playful, as it's portrayed so matter-of-factly:

"Shut you...more
Mery
Ya ampun baca ini bikin geli-geli gitu. haha. Sebel banget ama si Karlsson yang narsisnya ga ketulungan. OMG. hahaha. Tiap dia ngomong aku selalu rolling eyes.

salah satunya: *hal 24*

"Mereka akan senang sekali bertemu denganku karena aku begitu tampan dan cerdas! Berat badanku pas! Orangtuamu beruntung sekali bertemu denganku."

*ngakak*

kasihan banget Lillebror. Jadi sasaran kejailan Karlsson. ;D

Lillebror ini polos banget deh. hihihi dasar masih 7 tahun kali yah. ;D

Paling ngakak pas dia bilang ke I...more
Христо Блажев
„Как може на света да съществува такъв красив и умен, и прилично дебел, и храбър, и прекрасен във всяко отношение мъж, какъвто си ти, Карлсон!“

Ето и го и него – топпакостникът, достоен за сравнение само с Емил от Льонеберя, а по начин на мислене неоспоримо брат на Пипи Дългото чорапче. Но ако тя е щедра и сияйна, Карлсон е нагло и лакомо хлапе, което някога ме разсмиваше, а сега ме повече издразни с безкрайния си егоизъм.
Karen
A fun romp written in 1955 by Astrid Lindgren, author of the beloved Pippi Longstocking books. Eric, (as he is called in my version of the book) the seven year old protaganist, wants a dog more than anything else in the world. Instead he gets Karlsson-on-the-Roof, a cantankerous little old Man in his Prime, who causes chaos everywhere he goes and, unfortunately, alienates many readers.

The further I read, the more Karlsson reminded me of a trickster. Instead of being horrified by his selfish natu...more
Red
toen het boek uit was was ik hevig teleurgesteld dat er geen vervolg van was
Daniela Gonzalez
Reading log:
Due date: Friday February 3rd
Pages: 35
This book is about an ordinary family with a normal house. On top of this house a man lives he is named Karlson. This familiy doesn't knows Karlson lives there. Smidge is the little kid from the family. One day Smidge found Karlson, he first get scary but then he calms. Karlson shows him many of his tricks like how to fly. Smidge and Karlson become great friends. Smidge becomes a great fan of Karlson and he talks to his family about him the whole...more
Fairynee
Saya ngasih bintang lima bukan buat si Karlsson yang nyebelin dan bermulut besar itu, tapi buat Astrid Lindgren yang (lagi-lagi) berhasil membuat cerita anak yang keren. Karakter yang muncul dalam novelnya tidak hitam dan tidak putih. Semua sangat manusiawi. Lillebror, Bosse, Bettan, Krister, Gunilla, Mr dan Mrs Svantesson. Dialog-dialognya cerdas. Pertanyaan-pertanyaan Lillebror, jawaban-jawaban Mr dan Mrs Svantesson, atau kejahilan Bosse dan Bettan. Dalam ceritanya, Lindgren tidak lantas membu...more
Kammy
Nov 18, 2007 Kammy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: quirky young adults
I despised Karlson when I grew up hearing his story... an obnoxious, flying, pudgy man who wrecks this kid's room, steam engine, takes his candy. He's so greedy and petulant.

As an adult, my husband read the book and thought it was fantastic to have a quasi-adult figure who breaks all stereotypes of who should be well behaved. Plus, he points out that Eric is so happy to see Karlson, no matter what kind of mess awaits.
It's a little like "The Cat in the Hat." That book also made me uncomfortable...more
Arvesa Osmani
I love this book it's very funny.This story is about Smidge and Karlos who became reall friends and they share all of their things.I would like to have a friend like Karlos who comes and knockes at my window takes my candies and ruins my things.I recommend everybody to read it to their children!
Anna
it might be bad taste to bring up a cartoon when reviewing a book - но кто ещё из бывших Советских сразу слышит голос Ливанова при одном взгляде на обложку?

I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't read this (why is it so rare in English!?!?) This book is just .. soo.. AWESOME!! Forget a lame imaginary friend - this kid has a chubby lil troublemaker glutton who has a lil propeller on his back and start-button on his tummy! ♥♥
...my inner 8-year-old is filling up with glee from only looking at that line
Mark
Lonely children can act pretty stupid, especially if they feel unloved by tehir parents and/or other siblings.

I myself was pretty much annoyed with this Karlsson character and how naive little Lillebror can be. And then I remembered a distant relative who somehow reminded me of Lillebror. I suddely feel a bit pity toward this kid.

What confused me a lot was that I also reminded of Little Man Tate, even though these two characters have nothing in common.
Uci
Lillebror lucu banget sih! Salah satu dialog favorit waktu dia nanya apakah kalau kakaknya, Bosse, meninggal, dia harus menikah dengan istri Bosse, karena selama ini dia selalu menerima lungsuran barang-barang Bosse :D

Dan Lindgren pinter banget deh bikin karakter yang nyebelin sekaligus baik hati seperti Karlsson. Paling lucu waktu Karlsson ngerjain dua penjahat Rulle dan Fille.
Masha
This book is a children's classic for Soviet offspring of a certain age, yet oddly completely unknown to most American fans of Lindgren's other works, such as the "Pippi" series. Involves a short, fat, meatball-loving male fairy-esque character that lives on the roof of an apartment building in Stockholm and wreaks havoc with Mme. Freckenbock, the nanny. What's not to love?
The Twins
Funny what you remember from your own childhood...I wanted to read this book to my boys as I remembered reading and hearing it as a child. Somehow I remembered it differently with Karlson being kinder and less self-obsessed but once I started reading it to them it all came back especially his little sayings! The boys really enjoyed the story!!
Suvi
Again one of those gems in my grandmother's shelf. I kind of disliked Karlsson when I was a child but at the same time he was a hilarious character and I always looked forward to him appearing through the window. The book made me look up on our roof just in case if we had a chubby little man living in there.
Arte
Oli todella kiva kuunnella mm. musisointia äänikirjan yhteydessä. Erittäin hyvät äänilisäykset ja miellyttävää kuunneltavaa. Tarina oli toki varsin suloinen, vaikken kyllä ymmärtänyt, miten ihmeessä Pikkuveli tykkäsi Kassisesta, vaikka pikkumies on niin kovin itsekeskeinen ja röyhkeä.
Harun Harahap
Gw ga gitu suka dengan buku Astrid Lindgren yang ini. Tokoh Karlsson nya sangat mengganggu sekali, sangat-sangat menyebalkan hingga gw mempunyai keinginan tokoh ini tewas di ujung cerita. Sayang sungguh sayang, Karlsson baik-baik saja hingga halaman terakhir buku ini.

Aulikki
One of my favorite children book authors
lazycalm
If you really love this book, you should also check out its animated short film adaptation called Malysh i Karlson, directed by Boris Stepantsev.
Ditta
Nemu di rak buku diskon di gramedia Botani,,,mayan cuma 10rb..hehehe
karlsson yang aneh bin ajaib...lebih suka madicken ah...soalnya kasian ngeliat Lillebror dikerjain mulu sama Karlsson,,(walopun mungkin emang udah sifatnya si Karlsson ini ya kaya begitu..)
Yi
Feb 03, 2012 Yi marked it as to-read
Really really enjoyed the copy I read in Grade 6, translated into Chinese with absolutely wonderful illustrations. Now, after finally finding a copy in English, and so many years later, I started reading it and didn't share the same feeling.
Original Swedish\Russian translation 3 29 Sep 14, 2012 03:30AM
  • Приключения Чиполлино
  •  Приключения Незнайки
  • Волшебник Изумрудного города (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #1)
  • Золотой Ключик, или Приключения Буратино
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Двенадцать стульев. Золотой теленок
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...
Pippi Longstocking The Brothers Lionheart Pippi in the South Seas Ronia, the Robber's Daughter Pippi Goes on Board