Start by marking “Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Anne Rice)” as Want to Read:

Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles #1-3)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,328 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
The ornate, casket-like packaging and neogothic graphic design of this immortal trilogy is eerily enticing on its own. But just lift the lid, slide the first tape from its ghostly sleeve, and you'll soon embrace the hypnotic realm of the undead.

Book 1, Interview with the Vampire, opens with the seductive purr of F. Murray Abraham (Amadeus) stating, "I was a 25-year-old man
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 9 pages
Published November 17th 1992 by Random House Audio (first published 1989)

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadFrostbite by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle MeadBlood Promise by Richelle MeadInterview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
Great Vampire Books That Aren't Twilight=p
121st out of 794 books — 1,004 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne Rice'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingLuna Sanguis by Simon OkillCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Vampires that DON'T Sparkle!
44th out of 209 books — 234 voters

More lists with this book...

Samuel García
Aug 31, 2011 Samuel García rated it it was amazing
A classic trilogy. "Interview with the Vampire" is its own beast, while the other two go hand to hand as Lestat's answer to Louis' chronicle. While "Interview with the Vampire" is the better known of all the Vampire Chronicles, and the story is very good, Louis' bleak and whiny vision of the world drags down the reading experience. Lestat, on the other hand, enhances his own story, making it a very fun read. Best of the three would be the last one, "The Queen of the Damned", but you do need to r ...more
Alejandro
Done with Interview with the Vampire! I'd read it so long ago that I had forgotten a great deal of it, which left me with the same feeling of satisfaction you get when reading a new book. And I really enjoyed it -again. A reminder that vampires are supposed to be these cold, dead, murderous creatures; and not the pretty young playthings from most contemporary vampire stories. Now, on to the Lestat novel!

Update- Done with The Vampire Lestat. Not bad, but I have to say it wasn't quite as satisfyin
Adeelizabeth
Sep 06, 2013 Adeelizabeth rated it it was amazing
While the first one is definitely the best, they all deserve 5 stars from me. I love Anne Rice's dark, mystical, romantic style. Great great stories.
Dynasty Carfangnia
Oct 03, 2015 Dynasty Carfangnia rated it really liked it
Anne Rice, you are the queen of vampire stories.
Joe Vasquez
Oct 23, 2009 Joe Vasquez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-1
Author: Anne Rice
Genre: Science fiction
Rating: 4 stars

In the beginning we meet the Vampire named Lestat. He tells us about his life when he was a young boy, but does not spend too much time on that subject. He goes on and talks about his adventure with his pet dogs into the woods to hunt a few wolves that keep attacking the village. His mother and father order him to go and slay the creatures, so they send him off wit a mare and a nice, powerful gun. He finds out that there are nine wolves, and
Victoria
This omnibus edition, though a bit weighty, is a convenient way to carry the first three books in Rice’s Vampire Chronicles series. It is ideal for reading them back-to-back, but it does still contain three separate and complete books:

Interview with a Vampire: This is another one of the few books that I was familiar with the movie long before reading the book. In fact, the book has been on my to-read pile because of the movie for quite a long time. And actually, I enjoyed the novel even more tha
Aurea
Feb 14, 2013 Aurea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O.k if you *are* going to read something written by Anne Rice, do yourself a favor and read this three books. The rest of the chronicles I'm afraid are centered in the character's old past dwellings and in case that you like lestat -who becomes this super-marysue-laughable character, btw-, or fancied any of the other characters, these are the three books you *want to read*

Absolutely a must if you like vampire novels. Even when the author has grown to be a hated character, she redefined the genre
Samantha
Sep 06, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Interview with a Vampire- I really liked this book it was as it was described on the back horrible in places but extremely compelling. I didnt find Louis melancholy to draining. But I do wander if this interview was the last thing he did before he was ready to end his life.

The Vampire Lestat- I think he is quite honestly insane. But I suppose that you can understand the torture of seeing time passing and you remaining the same but i am so glad that we find out that Louis is ok and Gabrielle is s
Book Wormy
Jun 27, 2014 Book Wormy rated it it was amazing
159) Interview with the Vampire Anne Rice

Wow I love this story, I was immediately drawn into the richly described New Orleans of the late 1700's early 1800's and the story just got better.

The basic plot is that plantation owner Louis distraught by the death of his brother and his perceived role in it gives up caring for his own life he starts taking risks and courting danger, little does he realises that he has more to lose than just his life.

Louis is met by the vampire Lestat who wants the plan
Jordan
Sep 17, 2007 Jordan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vampire fans, anne rice fans
Shelves: vampire, series
I got this book for Christmas and I only recently got into it. I have read Interview with a Vampire and enjoyed it very much. I'm about a 1/4 of the way through The Vampire Lestat and am enjoying that very much. It's good to get some foundation on Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles since I have read several of her other books before these 3. It's taking me so long to finish it because it is a bulky volume and not easy to lug around when traveling.
Belinda Long
Aug 22, 2009 Belinda Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: casual-reading
I am currently only on page 62 of Interview with the Vampire. Already, I can say that this is a compelling read with a lot of philosophical and ethical pondering. It has certainly made me stop reading from time to time and examine my own ethics and philosophies. Already I can see how immortality gives Vampires an eternity to ponder things, and the conclusions they come to ring true even in mortality.
Kenneth Pierce
Jan 29, 2008 Kenneth Pierce rated it liked it
Fine. . .I admit it. I read all three. And they weren't that bad. Except for Queen of the Damned, which i likened to a snowball rolling down a mountain, gradually gaining in size and speed until it destroys a peaceful village below. Only the snowball is made of vampires. And it sucks. Lestat was the best of the three.

There. I finally said it. Wow, that's a massive weight off my shoulders.
Chris Johnson
Feb 03, 2011 Chris Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Annie Rice's Vampire is one of lust and Romance. She brings in the era of the Vampire, a new craze that brings about the likes of Twilight Series and the Vampire Diaries. She gave the vampires a face and really shows the true life of a vampire. A fantasy world that is fun to read and without teen drama. Great read and wonderful stories!
Suzie
Dec 18, 2007 Suzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-graphic
My family could tell you some stories about me reading these books, but I have to put them on my list because they did profoundly affect me at the time I read them, although it wasn't necessarily for good. I can't deny though that Anne Rice is a very gifted writer and establishes very, very interesting, fascinating characters and stories.
Mary
Sep 21, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Interview with the Vampire was a twisted and disturbing book and I almost did not read on. Since I bought the trilogy all in the same book, I felt like I had to finish the whole thing otherwise I'd be giving up mid-book. I'm so glad I read on because The Vampire Lestat is a much better story and so far I am enjoying The Queen of the Damned.
Shal
Jul 03, 2008 Shal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Words can't describe how much I loved these three books (put into one simple convenient package!) My favorite of all of them has to be The Vampire Lestat. It completely repainted my image of him from the villian he was in the first book into this deep intriguing epitome of everything human.
Latin Temptress
Feb 05, 2009 Latin Temptress rated it it was amazing
Anne Rice is my all time fave writer. The Vampire Chronicles was awesome even if the movies sucked. Read also The Mayfair Witches chronicles and the Taltos chronicles, she truly is an amazing writer.
Kelli
Mar 14, 2009 Kelli rated it it was amazing
I love Anne Rice and the entire Vampire Chronicles. Interview with the Vampire movie is one of my favorite movies. These books are captivating, dark, and beautiful. I fell in love with some of the characters.
Kaila Thomas
Mar 29, 2015 Kaila Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a whole, The Vampire Lestat was my favorite of the three, because it 1, held my interest, and 2, didn't have a horrendous ending.

I enjoyed Interview with a Vampire, but I was constantly comparing it to the movie, which was quite different. I also had a hard time reading 400 pages of Louis whining about his morals. Not that I don't love Louis immensely, he's a dear.

Armand. I have a lot of feelings about Armand. I was in love with Antonio Banderas as Armand in the movie. He was very nice look
Tony Canas
Aug 04, 2011 Tony Canas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed having all 3 books in one book. Took me a while to get through all 3 of them and I'm not a huge fan of the middle one but overall an awesome set of novels.
Princessfaz
May 26, 2011 Princessfaz rated it really liked it
I loved these books and couldnt put down "Vampire Lestat", it was a real page turner. These were the first vampire books I read so they hold a special place in my heart. :)
Jayne Pixton
Jun 07, 2010 Jayne Pixton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is very well written, I love Lestat would have to be my FAVOURITE vampires ever. I recomend this book to everyone becuase of the way it was written.
M.H.S. Pourri
Sep 14, 2013 M.H.S. Pourri rated it it was amazing
Anne Rice is amazing. At first, I had a hatred for vampires till I read the series and I had a compassion and love for them.
Matthew Mcmillan
Nov 29, 2014 Matthew Mcmillan rated it really liked it
Interview has the view of Louis trying to understand his place in the world after he has been turned. The problem he has with this is that he is always trying to connect the life he had with the experiences of the undead. Through the book he meets others of his kind without getting the answers he looks for so often from them. Ultimatly he has to let go of what he thinks the meaning of life, good, evil, and God from the view of the living. This happens toward the end of the book so there isn't mu ...more
Laurel Pink
Aug 04, 2009 Laurel Pink rated it it was amazing
I love almost every Anne Rice I have layed eyes upon. The Vampire Lestat is still my favourite. oui oui.
Marian Willeke
Apr 15, 2016 Marian Willeke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural, fiction
Reading these books made me want to try and buy every copy of the two movies just to burn them. The layers of affect presented in Rice's vampires draw you in respect, fear, hate, love, and most of all, relate to them. These books belong on the same shelf as Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" and George R. R. Martin's "Fevre Dream" ... the quality supernatural fantasy that expands the adult reader's imagination and interacts so well in our own worlds. Belay any fears of yet another exhausting young ...more
meaghan
Okay, I like vampires... What can I say?
Dale Noble
Jun 12, 2015 Dale Noble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can quite easily say that these are some of the best books that I have read to date. All three books are filled with well-developed characters, brilliant scene setting and a creation of atmosphere of the highest calibre. What makes this trio of books all the more remarkable is the fact that they are written by the viewpoint of the vampires themselves and done so with fantastic flair and storytelling.

The first book of the series, 'Interview with a Vampire', is an amazing rendition of the life o
Steven
May 01, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This. This. And this! I read Interview years ago and loved it...much better than the mediocre movie adaptation. I started The Vampire Lestat and was bored a few years ago as well. Courtesy of my friend Ernie, I was gifted this tri-novel conveniently located in one book. I finally managed to get through The Vampire Lestat about 2 years ago and thought how much the movie Queen of the Damned used from this book. Then I started Queen of the Damned and was amazed at how much the movie left out...and ...more
Belinda
Jan 27, 2014 Belinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-fiction
I decided to revisit these books recently and started from the beginning with this little collection. I am really glad I did this! I have such a different feeling than I did the first time I read them. Interestingly, I loved Interview much, much more than Vampire Lestat the first read and just the opposite this time. I found it interesting that age and experience actually changed my opinions on the characters. I remember loving Louis and wanting to smack Lestat a lot during my first read and I h ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Help 2 15 Feb 19, 2015 10:14AM
What's the truth between the Vampire Chronicles characters? 2 7 Nov 15, 2013 10:19PM
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • Carrie / 'Salem's Lot / The Shining
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • Jurassic World: Jurassic Park / The Lost World
  • Classic Fairy Tales
  • Classic American Short Stories
  • Aesop's Illustrated Fables
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Dracula and Other Horror Stories
  • H.G. Wells: Seven Novels
  • The Wake of the Dragon: A Steampunk Adventure
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • The Complete Fiction
  • Novels By Anne Rice, including: The Queen Of The Damned, Interview With The Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Tale Of The Body Thief, Memnoch The Devil, The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy, The Vampire Armand, Blackwood Farm, Blood Canticle, Taltos (novel)
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more
More about Anne Rice...

The Vampire Chronicles (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Pandora (Historia de los Nuevos Vampiros, #1)
  • Vittorio, The Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires, #2)
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3)
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)
  • Memnoch the Devil (The Vampire Chronicles, #5)
  • The Vampire Armand (The Vampire Chronicles, #6)
  • Merrick (The Vampire Chronicles #7)
  • Blood And Gold (The Vampire Chronicles, #8)

“how do you go on breathing and moving and doing things when you know there is no explanation?” 1 likes
“we do good when we make others forget their sorrow, make them forget for a little while” 1 likes