Start by marking “The Soul Weaver (The Bridge of D'arnath, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Soul Weaver (The Bridge of D'arnath, #3)

The Soul Weaver (The Bridge of D'Arnath #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,437 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The evil Lords of Zhev'Na kept Gerick captive for months. Although his parents rescued him, he remains tormented by his experience-and mistrusted even by those who love him. Accused of treason, Gerick flees and takes refuge in a magical realm full of outcasts, where he will discover how to use his own magical talent-soul weaving-to save his people from Zhev'Na.
Mass Market Paperback, 469 pages
Published February 1st 2005 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Weaver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul Weaver

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareCress by Marissa MeyerThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanSilver Shadows by Richelle MeadDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Upcoming YA Novels of 2014
489th out of 508 books — 1,397 voters
Theft of Swords by Michael J. SullivanRise of Empire by Michael J. SullivanThe Shade by Tara S. WoodHeir of Novron by Michael J. SullivanThe Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan
Cloaks and Capes
75th out of 151 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 24, 2010 Lynne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to Lynne by: my husband
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
So what this series boils down to, in the end, is the redemptive power of love. But Berg's story is so original and interesting that the theme does not feel tired nor cliche-ridden at all.

Each book in the series has had unexpected plot twists, which Berg handles skillfully enough that they never feel like deus ex machina, nor were they obvious ones that could be seen from several chapters beforehand. Throughout the three books, there were always several avenues the characters could take to acco
Kirsten Bailey
Feb 01, 2013 Kirsten Bailey rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it
I've been sucked into this series from the beginning. I'll admit, though, that this novel did not capture me the same way either Of the first two did. At least not at the beginning. By the middle, however, I was intrigued. By the end, I was once again enthralled with the worlds of Gondai and Avonar. Berg really has a gift for developing rich, colorful, believable characters.
David Phipps
May 31, 2015 David Phipps rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, own
This one didn't hold my attention as well as the first two books. I was not a fan of a strange world introduced here and the rules for soul weaving are confusing to me. I'm also growing tired of people dying but not really dying. One more book left in this series. I can't remember it at all but I'll give it a go and hope I like it better.
Mike Salzman
Nov 05, 2008 Mike Salzman rated it it was ok
I've read reviews that proclaim this book to be "a speed bump on the way to" the fourth book. I agree. Completely.

The first half was actually fairly interesting and had almost an Alice in Wonderland quality. Gerick once again runs off and finds himself in a completely different world.

The second half is horrid. The pacing is bad, the characters make completely nonsensical choices and experience odd mood changes, the plot is confusing and poorly explained, and the climax is... wait, what climax?
DeAnna Knippling
Dec 26, 2011 DeAnna Knippling rated it liked it
Third book in a non-favorite series by a favorite author. This time, clever battles with effective, and clever (unfortunately) wins. After establishing a fantasy world and a word that the fantasy world considers a fantasy world (a second-order fantasy world that, although clever, feels flimsy anyway) in the first two books, the author creates a third world that feels like it ought not be left out in the rain...then, after dwelling on this world for a good deal of the book, comes up with a clever ...more
Mar 13, 2014 Odetoemma rated it liked it
Sadly, this third installment of the The Bridge of D'Arnath started out as strong as the first two books but loses its way near the end. Too many leaps of logic and too convoluted to make much sense. Rats.
Sep 30, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Carol Berg ha il pregio di farti affezionare tantissimo ai personaggi di cui scrive, il suo lato debole invece è la trama. Questo libro inizia davvero bene e la trama ti cattura da subito, poi a metà precipita inesorabilmente con la descrizione del nuovo mondo e dei suoi personaggi (certe cose mi hanno ricordato la storia infinita), verrebbe la voglia di abbandonarlo per non riprenderlo più, poi la trama torna a decollare, il libro ti ricattura e ti spinge a leggerlo fino alla fine senza più fer ...more
Mary Soon Lee
Aug 01, 2016 Mary Soon Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the third book of the Bridge D'Arnath fantasy quartet. Despite much grim subject matter, I found it a comfortable and enjoyable read, the main characters familiar companions by now. (Paolo is my favorite.) Although I anticipated the essence of the ending, I still appreciated it. At times the pacing felt slow, especially during the lengthy section in the Bounded and also when reiterating the convoluted plot of the earlier books.
Jul 18, 2011 Brenton rated it really liked it
It was hard to put this book down! The pacing was quite different from the prior two books in the series, and did a good job of keeping the tension going. I didn't always buy some of the characterization - some of Gerrick's growth was too sudden and neatly packaged with a bow - and I would have preferred more focus on Seri, since she's probably the strongest character. Great read overall!
Aug 15, 2011 Anastasia rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
It was ok, but to me fell short of the 2nd book in the series, "Guardians of the Keep," which I had really liked. Here, the villain as revealed at the end was too cartoonish and unbelievable. I couldn't decide if the book moved too quickly or too slowly. On the other hand, Carol Berg is still one of the best fantasy writers today, and I read the book in one sitting (it was a Saturday).
Mar 14, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Carol Berg is just a fantastic writer! What I liked most was that the book was intelligent in a way few fantasy books are. Every character and every moment was important: leading up to the climax. The language was also quite beautiful. I had to look up many words that I didn't know. Carol Berg is one of my favorite authors and I would recommend anything that she has written.
Jun 01, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
I thoriughly enjoyed this 3rd book in this series by Carol Berg. She does a wonderful job of world-building. Her characters are very well written. Some parts of this book almost made me cry.They were so beautifully written, they made me feel the emotions of the characters in the story. There is one more book in this series and I am looking forward to reading it.
Joey O'Donnell
Sep 07, 2013 Joey O'Donnell rated it really liked it
This is probably my least favorite Berg book so far (as this series has been my least favorite, overall). The general conflict was okayish, but the cosmology of things bumped it up for me. Another interesting world is presented here in the Bounded (which I won't go into so as to avoid spoilers). Hoping the last volume ties things together well.
Dec 27, 2012 Marissa rated it really liked it
I thought the book was good. it seemed a slow pace compared to the other books. Carol Berg did an excellent job with the plot and mixing things up, I enjoyed the turn of events, but the flip flopping of the point of views too often in my opinion is what slowed the story down. The book was good and the reader can connect with the characters.
Apr 25, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Mostly disappointing. I felt the concept of a Soul Weaver was intreging yet in the end he did almost nothing with this fantastic gift. Seemed like a very poor connection to the first book and really the main character wasn't nearly likeable enough.
Jul 27, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Easily my least favorite (so far) of the 4 books in this series, it made healthy strides toward redemption in the end. Still it was not quite enough to recover from the seemingly pointless first two thirds of the novel.
May 06, 2013 Char rated it it was amazing
Loved this. As always with the Carol Berg books, I think they are starting slowly for the first few chapters, and suddenly can't put the book down. Loved the audio narration on the Audible version, too.
Barb in Maryland
Jun 14, 2008 Barb in Maryland rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
The first two books in series were okay, but by the time the third book came out I had lost interest in them. Started, but never finished, the third book; didn't even pick up the fourth.
Traci Loudin
May 14, 2016 Traci Loudin rated it it was ok
Shelves: female-authors
I wasn't particularly impressed by this book in the series. Their son is just too trusting, even for a kid of that age. It's just so frustrating.
Andreea Pausan
Mar 28, 2016 Andreea Pausan rated it it was amazing
A good ending to a good series. A story of acceptance of pain , of embracing pain as it defines who we are. Love conquers all.
Melissa  (lissaaniela)
if I didn't know this was book three of four I'd have thought this was the last one but it feels a lot like a filler book
Mar 01, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Last in the trilogy. One of the best fantasy x3 I've read in a while. Yet another amazing female author from Australia.
Aug 11, 2011 Kayleigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The more I learn about Gerick, the more I like him. Can't wait to read the fourth book.
Dec 09, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, I love the whole series so far with one more book to read.
May 29, 2010 Cressida rated it it was amazing
Great ending to a great trilogy =]
Nov 08, 2008 Rosie marked it as to-read
I never finished this series! Gah!
Aug 01, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Another great book in this series
Michelle Shimenosky
Michelle Shimenosky rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
  • Devlin's Honor (Sword of Change, #2)
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswright, #2)
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner, #3)
  • Shadows and Light (Tir Alainn, #2)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Chronicles of Sirkara, #2)
  • The Last Wizard (Wizard of the Grove, #2)
  • Godslayer (The Sundering, #2)
  • Elemental Magic (Moon #6.5; Rai-Kirah #0.5 )
  • Treason's Shore (Inda, #4)
  • Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2)
Carol Berg is the author of the epic fantasy
The Books of the Rai-kirah, The Bridge of D'Arnath Quartet, the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award winning Lighthouse Duet - Flesh and Spirit and Breath and Bone - the standalone novel Song of the Beast , and the three novels of the Collegia Magica.

Berg holds a degree in mathematics from Rice University, and a degree in computer science from the University of Co
More about Carol Berg...

The Bridge of D'Arnath (4 books)
  • Son of Avonar (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #1)
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)