Start by marking “The Milagro Beanfield War” as Want to Read:
The Milagro Beanfield War

The Milagro Beanfield War (The New Mexico Trilogy #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  8,130 Ratings  ·  299 Reviews
Fiction
Published January 1st 1974 by Holt, Rinehart and Winston

Arian
Mar 19, 2007 Arian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, damnit.
This is my favorite damn book of all time ever. If you don't like it, I'm liable to punch you in the genitals.

Ostensibly, the book is about a water-rights squabble in a small town in New Mexico. But the book is so much more: the differences between the Mexican and American cultures, believing in miracles, political dissidence, and all of the ridiculously awesome characters that the author breathes life into.

There's Amarante Cordova, the ageless wonder who has been dying since birth, only to out
J
Que Viva Snuffy Ledoux!

I read this book 35 years ago for the first time when I was fifteen years old. It remains one of my all time favorites. After re-reading - because one of my friends told me I reminded him of Amarante Cordova - and because I always considered myself to be more of a Jose Mondragon - the themes remain contemporary. They remind me why I consider this timeless piece of literature to be such a great demonstration of artistry and craftsmanship.

Milagro Beanfield War is an enchan
Matthew
I was really enjoying this book for the first couple hundred pages, especially since I grew up watching the film and so I already had a huge affection for the story and the main characters. However, somewhere around page 300 I couldn't take it anymore. I don't know why everybody who pops into a scene has to have a lengthy backstory. It contributes nothing to my appreciation of a novel when the author digresses for five pages every time a new character, however insignificant, wanders onto the pag ...more
Rheama Smith
I'm always sad when I decide to give up on a book. It feels like euthanasia. But sometimes I have to grit my teeth and put the book down. This was one of those cases.

I wanted to love The Milagro Beanfield War because of its uniqueness and quirkiness, but the sheer number of characters and amount of back story was overwhelming. I appreciate Nichols taking the time to create an entire town full of people, past and present, but he didn't need to include every single one of them in his final draft.
Gregory Daily
Mar 14, 2017 Gregory Daily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read and funny as heck. Points out that water is the life blood of the west. I think I met Joe Mondragon or his twin. I think I want to visit New Mexico.
Josh
May 27, 2012 Josh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I'm saying this but the movie is better. The whole reason I wanted to read the book -- and why I put it off for so long -- is that I love the movie. I had the usual presumption that the book must be better than the movie but also feared it wouldn't be.

The movie does a lot of what Nichols should have done. It distills what's good about the book into a more potent story. Instead of hauling in a hundred half-baked characters -- and at least a dozen one-off characters who unnecessar
Ben
Aug 15, 2008 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ben by: God and Circumstance
"You can't buy bullets with food stamps," says Nick Rael, the store owner of the one store in Milagro, New Mexico, when Amarante Cordova peals off four one-dollar stamps and carefully lays them on the counter. This absurd scene in The Milagro Beanfield War, the first novel in John Nichols' epic New Mexico Triology, serves well enough to illustrate the power of Nichols' voice and the authority of his narrative, but Amarante takes his bullets and shuffles off to stand guard over Joe Mondragon's co ...more
A
Dec 13, 2012 A rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
The Milagro Beanfield War was one of those books that Goodreads thought I would like and I thought I should like. But I couldn't even finish. And I tried. I made it through slightly more than half of the book. And while I found the characters compelling and their plight interesting the lack of a good plot kept me from finishing.

My reading of this book languished for over two weeks with a few pages at a time being read. FInally, I decided I needed a break, so I picked up another book and read it
Miguel
Jul 14, 2007 Miguel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Steinbeck and all
I found myself within the first few minutes of reading this book, laughing out loud. This has a particular appeal to me, because I am a native to New Mexico and a Chicano...but I would not necessarily say that it excludes others from understanding its very unique style. Perhaps it can be noted that if you do happen to hail from the southwest, its charm and originality, along with the added plus of some very comical Spanish create a very delightful bonus. Otherwise I recommend this book to any an ...more
Jessaka
Jun 10, 2011 Jessaka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My friend Cathy and I went to Santa Fe and found that Robert Redford was filming this movie. So we decided to go watch them film. We got to the gate and I lied by saying that we were with the press, but then Cathy had to go and tell the truth. So, we didn't get in to see him. That night we were at a bar in Santa Fe and ran into the crew, and one of their members said that we could come to watch them film the next day. But alas, we were leaving town in the morning. The book and the movie were goo ...more
Milo
Nov 16, 2008 Milo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ONE OF MY TOP 5 BOOKS OF ALL TIME........

Number one in the New Mexico Trilogy. Superb reading and funny as hell. Character development that is absolutely unique. Funny, moving, sensitive and educational. A real story of the plight of poor Northern New Mexican natives as the face the problems and costs of new development.

Amarante, in his 80's and as lovable as can be sits quietly and talks with ghosts, Joe Mondragon accidentally kicks out a water dam and begins watering his father's field, illeg
Carol
Dec 26, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could illegally irrigating a small field of beans cause such chaos and mayhem? This is an uproariously funny book. I enjoyed the characters mini-stories throughout the book. I was charmed by the nature descriptions. Although this was set in New Mexico, it reminded me so much of the Colorado Rockeies where our family vacationed most of my life.

I just borrowed the VHS tape of this movie from the library. It was directed by Robert Redford. Very Good. A few minor changes from the book, but true
Mary Sue
Jul 22, 2015 Mary Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Milagro is a dying town In northern New Mexico. Water conservancy has routed their already minimal water supply to benefit big agriculture to the South and nearby resorts. On a whim that even he doesn't understand, feisty Joe Mondragon diverts the water to irrigate his small beanfield. In essence that was a declaration of war against the government and big money investors. Wonderfully colorful characters. Great sense of place. What a fun read.
Benj FitzPatrick
By far it was one of the funniest books I've read (up there with Hitchhikers Guide), and it accomplished this while presenting a representative portrait of northern NM.
Ronna Nussbaum-langley
Published in 1974, this is one of my ALL TIME favorites. The writing is smart and it's definitely the funniest book I've ever read. Highly recommend it!!!!!
Chris
May 30, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
This was originally published at The Scrying Orb.

Check out this cover: A skeleton in a sombrero with a bottle of tequila. Intentionally yellowed page edges. A brick of mass market paperback in that unmistakable font that used to signify A BOOK to me before trade paperbacks took over and the construction of the book itself became stylized. Along with the funny title, these are the reasons I picked this up for three dollars (more than its original sale price) and took it home.

Do you ever stop to c
Cliff Dolph
When I posted a picture last winter of my annual haul at the University Women's book sale, my old college roommate said, "Let me know how it goes with The Milagro Beanfield War. I guessed from that comment that the book would be interesting and maybe challenging. Indeed, it is a big and complicated novel, and my response to it is complicated.

What I didn't like: The novel is bigger than it needs to be. I'm coming to realize that I'm partial to tightly written books, and this one is not. It indulg
Sharon
Dec 27, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Milagro Beanfield War has been on my bucket list since I saw the movie 30 years ago. Last year I spied a tattered yellow copy in the free box of Blue Cypress Book Store in New Orleans. It's been staring at me from my bedside table ever since. When I finally dug into Milagro, there was no stopping. It was like kapow---a blast from the past--an old school novel written when novelists saw everything and were not afraid to pound out each detail and backstory on their typewriters. Every damn char ...more
Oleg Kagan
Mar 05, 2011 Oleg Kagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Replacing the magical realism of One Hundred Years of Solitude with a healthy dose of earthy humor gives us John Nichols' mini-epic The Milagro Beanfield War. Throughout Nichols' chronicle of the eruption of a long-brewing feud between the rich and poor, city and rural, Spanish and Anglo people of a small New Mexico-ish region, we are treated to all sorts of entertaining folktales. And these aren't just of the past, The Milagro Beanfield War is full of entertaining characters from Pacheco's Pig, ...more
JoyfulK
I first read The Milagro Beanfield War years ago, but in June 2009, while traveling, encountered the author's photo essay about how he came to write the book. That got me interested in a re-read. It was worth it. Nichol's prose is dense and rich, so descriptive that I find myself re-reading paragraphs just for the joy of the images evoked by the words.

This novel contains a large number of finely drawn characters with fascinating back stories, which Nichols manages to weave into the main narrativ
Katie
Jun 09, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy realism or realistic fantasy but either way John weaves magic over a story that you know but yet it is a novel. He is one of the best character writers I have come across and moves them through a touching but funny and real storyline. I have not read the other two books (Magic Journey and Nirvana Blues), and I am almost scared to because I have heard they are not as good.

I tried to find a good used hard copy for Kirk a few years ago for his birthday. So I went to the one good used books
Matt
Jan 02, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is excellent. It has incredibly intricate character depth. Nichols introduces more characters in the beginning of the book than the reader thinks he can handle and then proceeds to introduce the reader to all these characters in such a way that the reader feels like a resident in this small New Mexican town.
This book has a wonderful struggle of the people against "the system" and "big money". At times it is laugh out loud funny. It also is powerful. This book took about 10 pages for m
Don
Dec 12, 2013 Don rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up because it was billed as part 1 on the "New Mexico Trilogy". Since, that is my home state and we don't get a lot of publicity, I was intrigued. The story was boring beyond belief and choked with political correctness. The book seems to have been written by one of those self-loathing white people. The brown people are cool and authentic and the gringos are a bunch of dolts. It was offensive to me. Enough so, that I didn't read the other books in the series. Something I rarely ...more
Elliott
Feb 09, 2010 Elliott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Milagro Beanfield War as a recipe:

In a large bowl, add equal parts John Irving, Ken Kesey, Berkeley CA, and New Mexico. Mix well and bake under a desert sun until parched.

Serve caliente with a side of frijoles, warm tortillas, and liberal amounts of hot sauce.

The result is a mildly satisfying yet complex dish with flavors of history, race and ethnicity, and land and water rights.

Buen Provecho!
Cheryl
Mar 31, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This rather long novel was delightful, gutsy, ribald, funny (laugh out loud), charming, sweet and colorful. The story telling is the best ever, a little like Steinbeck, only funnier. The story line offers a stretch to the imagination and a leap from your regular reality. Set in New Mexico, the sites and smells and temperments of these small town characters jump off the page. Highly entertaining. I learned life is what you make it: take a chance!
Diane
Jan 04, 2010 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, this is the book on which Redford's well-known movie was based. I haven't seen the movie but really enjoyed the book. Somewhat reflective of the attitude of the time (late 60s, early 70s) but timeless as well. And funny. Laugh-out-loud funny in places. Great sense of time and place. I describe it as a New Mexico "Red Green". But darker. Now I want to see the movie although it couldn't begin to capture all the hilarious details and subplots of a 500-page book. Highly recommended.
Charlotte
Only twice in my life have I enjoyed a film adaptation more than the book upon which it was based. This was one of them. Interestingly, the film adaptation of The Milagro Beanfield War is my all-time favorite movie. I was in my mid-20's the last time I read this book. Perhaps I will try it again, nearer to 40.
Christoph Knerr
So far I find this book a little annoying. Magical Realism is rarely my cup of tea, Italo Calvino excepted. I feel like the characters in the book are based off real people Nichols is taking cheap at, while trying (and rarely succeeding) to be funny.
I'm in the second section now, it's becoming more interesting, but still written in a style I find annoying.
Marshall
Sep 09, 2012 Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Funny as hell. Gritty, witty, dirty, and fun.
Pat Steinkuehler
Recently reread this marvel. It will always be a favorite.
  • Red Sky at Morning
  • The Man Who Killed the Deer
  • La Maravilla
  • Stones for Ibarra
  • The Great Taos Bank Robbery and other True Stories of the Southwest
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Alburquerque
  • Little Big Man
  • Rain of Gold
  • At Play in the Fields of the Lord
  • The Hundredth Monkey
  • The John McPhee Reader (John McPhee Reader, #1)
  • Jujitsu for Christ
  • The Powwow Highway
22099
John Nichols is the author of the New Mexico trilogy, a series about the complex relationship between history, race and ethnicity, and land and water rights in the fictional Chamisaville County, New Mexico. The trilogy consists of The Milagro Beanfield War (which was adapted into the film The Milagro Beanfield War directed by Robert Redford), The Magic Journey, and The Nirvana Blues.

Two of his oth
More about John Nichols...

The New Mexico Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Magic Journey
  • The Nirvana Blues
  • The New Mexico Trilogy: The Milagro Beanfield War / The Magic Journey / The Nirvana Blues

“Listen cousin, the way things are supposed to work out, one day the struggles of all you screwed up little underdogs will forge a permanent rainbow that'll encircle this entire earth, I should live so long.” 6 likes
“Sooner or later Cleofes is gonna get it.” 3 likes