Lady of Mercy (The Sundered, #3)

Lady of Mercy (Books of the Sundered #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Part of the "Sundered" series - the heroine continues her struggle against the forces of evil. The harrowing tale of Erin Elliath, warrior and healer, continues in this episode of the battle between good and evil. When Erin rejects her position as Lady Sara, wife to the First Servant of the Dark Heart, she escapes from her husband's lands with the help of Darin, the Patria...more
Published August 11th 2006 by BenBella Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Lady of Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady of Mercy

Sbuchler
Genre: High Fantasy

This book was slow. The core of the story of the series (imo) is the relationship between Erin/Sara and Stefanos. The last time they interact in this book is about page 20, which I'm sure explains some of why the book was slow.

If the first book was Erin falling in love with Stefanos, and the second was Stefanos falling in love with Erin, then this book was Erin coming to accept that love alone is not enough. Of course, it's also about Stefanos, finally, centuries later, collec...more
Amélie
Review first published at Fans of Michelle Sagara West

The eponymous Lady of Mercy is, of course, Erin. During the first book, Into the Dark Lands, Erin has ruled as an Empress at Stefanos' side, providing his people with a mercy unknown to them before, before mysteriously disappearing. Form that time, legends have been created, speaking of a time when the Lady of Mercy would come again to the Empire and free its people from the Dark Heart and its First Servant, Stefanos.

At the end of Children of...more
Heather
Amazing! Simply AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mara
I hadn't realized how good this writer is before being compelled to read The Sundered out of order (Lady of Mercy had no kindle edition).

I read Lady of Mercy a year after I finished the series. The writing was compelling, lyrical to the point that even if the events unfolds slowly and I knew what happened next I was riveted. Powerful.
Huijia Li
I would really choose 2.5 if there was such a choice. I've been looking to complete the series for ages, and had just re-read BK 2 in the series before this. I thought the second book was fine, but this book seemed to have pacing problems. Plus I didn't really care for the in-chapter jumps in POV, it felt a little scattered.
Fred Dickson
I still felt like we didn't have Erin as narrator often enough in this one, I like Darin well enough, but the first book was nothing but Erin, and that's who I want to hear about. There was definitely more going on in this one in comparison to the previous two and there was a nice little twist at the end.
Gaynell
I really liked this book. I would never have guessed who Trethar was in a million years. I didn't trust him at first, but after he was really helping Erin, Darin, and Renar to retake Dagothrin, I decided that I must have been wrong. Little did I know that he had his own agenda.
Jake Langthorn
This review applies to the Sundered Series as a whole.

Clearly this is a beginning effort, but already, West shows the imagination that marks her later works. This is terrific stuff. Yes, it is dark, but even with the awkward writing style, it is very powerful.
Stephen
I gave this one four stars because it was the first of the Series where I actually felt like there was some real hope for the future LOL. The first two books I found pretty dark.
Fre06 Begum
This was my least favourite of the series because the male lead was hardly in it and it was filled with too many people that just didn't matter! Really frustrating
Rachel
This was a pretty weak entry into the saga, I think. It may have been necessary to the total story arc, but reading it was more chore than pleasure.
Al
Slow start, and doesn't capture the tension of the attraction between Erin and the First that made the predecessors in this series interesting.
Stacy
Predictable plot and character development. But, I was genuinely moved during certain scenes, which speaks to the strength of the writing.
Laurla2
Oct 03, 2012 Laurla2 added it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
this whole series makes me cry repeatedly. it is very sad and depressing. yet i cant stop reading it.
Jordan
A necessary continuance, but heart-wrenching! It was difficult to read after the first two books.
Annette
Great ending!
A Lo
A Lo marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Bea
Bea marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Z Moonchild
Z Moonchild marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Tracey
Tracey added it
Aug 18, 2014
  • The Shining Court (The Sun Sword, #3)
  • Cast in Moonlight (Chronicles of Elantra, #0.5)
  • The Lords of Darkness (Flat Earth, #1-3)
  • Harvest Moon (Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, #5.5)
See also:

Michelle Sagara
Michelle West

She lives in Toronto with her long-suffering husband and her two children, and to her regret has no dogs.

Reading is one of her life-long passions, and she is some­times paid for her opinions about what she’s read by the venerable Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. No matter how many book­shelves she buys, there is Never Enough Shelf space. Ever.

She has pu...more
More about Michelle Sagara West...
Into the Dark Lands (The Sundered, #1) Children of the Blood (The Sundered, #2) Chains of Darkness, Chains of Light (The Sundered, #4) The Nightingale Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6)

“It's always easier,' he offered at last, 'when you feel these things yourself; seeing them in other people reveals just how ugly they are.” 2 likes