Start by marking “Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #4)

Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles #4)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,552 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Alector's Choice takes place several thousand years before the events chronicled in the Legacies Trilogy, at the time when Corus is ruled by the Talent-magic of the Duarchy. The Myrmidons of Justice command the skies riding their fearsome pteridons.
As the Alector Colonel of Myrmidons, Dainyl is the fourth highest ranking military officer of the Duarchy. Alectors are a ra
Mass Market Paperback, 640 pages
Published April 4th 2006 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Alector's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alector's Choice

Kat  Hooper
Mar 20, 2015 Kat Hooper rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

Despite believing what Bill said about the “shampoo-rinse-repeat” nature of Modesitt’s COREAN CHRONICLES, I gave Alector’s Choice, the fourth book in the series, a try since it has just been released in audiobook format by Tantor Audio and they sent me a review copy.

Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Chronologically, this is the fourth book that happens well before the original trilogy that begins with Legacies. I guess it is no longer a trilogy, although the first 3 & the next 3 books each seem to form one, but there is a new book coming out "The Lord-Protectors Daughter" & I'm not sure where it will fall in the chronology. I think it is the start of a third trilogy & I plan to buy it.

Usually, I don't like second trilogies, but this is an exception. Told from the opposing view p
Laurence Burke
Feb 05, 2013 Laurence Burke rated it it was ok
4th book in Modesitt's "Corean Chronicles," this is actually a prequel set a few thousand years before the first three books. So you get to see what the world was like before the mysterious "cataclysm" mentioned in the earlier books.

Modesitt once again explores the development of "talent" within his characters. The basics of the magical/mystical talent are similar to those in Modesitt's "Imager Portfolio" books, though the "mechanics" differ slightly in this series. In this book, there are two m
William Bentrim
Feb 19, 2015 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing
Alector's Choice by L.E. Modesitt, jr

This is book four of the Corean Chronicles. The origins of Corus's problems are clearly exposed in this book. A new cast of characters presenting the other side of the equation. This books viewpoint is from the villain's point of view which, as you may guess, is rather different than the point of view of the first three books.

Point of view may be somewhat simplistic. This volume shows some of the origins of the problems faced by Alucius, the main protagonist
Tanys
Jun 05, 2012 Tanys rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book, and found it very hard to put down.
It helped me to enjoy other books in the Corean Chronicles involving the Alectors more because it showed a non-evil side to them. While reading other books in the series I did not like the Alector characters because they were always portrayed as cold and evil. This book shed light onto their society and ways of life that allows the reader to connect with them as we've been allowed to do with the other characters in the serie
Fantasy Literature
Mar 15, 2015 Fantasy Literature rated it it was ok

If you’re interested in reading Alector’s Choice, you should know that you don’t need to read books 1-3 first. Alector’s Choice begins a trilogy that’s a prequel to the rest of the series. In fact, if you haven’t read the other books
Dallas
Aug 20, 2013 Dallas rated it it was amazing
I am always worried about not stopping with the first book in the series if it was good because I don't want to be disappointed later, but no book in this series disappointed me, and I feel best for having read them all. The story comes full circle and answers any questions and loose ends by the end of the series.

One of my favorite series ever. I loved the main character and seeing how he would outsmart his troubles. I loved a lot if the descriptions about the world, and the magic is genius and
Jason
Feb 05, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The second half of the 6-book Corean Chronicles. I found the first three to be excellent, and the second set has started off well with Alector's Choice. Essentially prequels to the first three books, these lay down a great deal of the history of the world of Corus, full of political intrigue. The world and magic system are very different from Modesitt's Recluce series, and while I wouldn't call it a fast read, Alector's Choice isn't plodding the way some of the later Recluce books could be.
Jill
Jan 16, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Almost as good as the first Corean trilogy - takes place thousands of years before the first set of books. Has two protagonists, and while I prefer only one in the books that I read, both of the story lines maintained my interest, especially when the two protagonists interacted with each other. I am curious what is going to happen in the rest of the series and to see who ultimately joins the upcoming rebellion. I recommend this to anyone who likes their fantasy military-heavy.
Tobias Cooper
Jun 30, 2015 Tobias Cooper rated it it was amazing
A return to Acorus in the far distant past.
Insight into the world as it was through the eyes of an Alector and one of Modesitt's "young men on a journey" (which to be fair he does write very well).
I like this story in much the same way that of the Recluse Series my favourites are Fall of Angels and the Cyador duology, the world building is fabulous and the technology/magic duality that LEM writes so well is here too.
Fredrick Danysh
May 26, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
One the world of Acorus things are not right. Life force is not being generated fast enough, miners are disappearing as mine production goes down, armed rebels are attacking government troops, and the ancients have made an appearance. Into these troubled waters, Colonel Dainyl and Captain Mykel must put things right while staying alive as both friend and foe oppose them. This fourth book of the Corean series is past paced jumping between the adventures of the two main characters.
Lyn
Jan 05, 2009 Lyn rated it really liked it
So far not my most favorite, still the same old struggle against the truly odd duck and the one who's the pet. It is still a good series. Makes me glad that we don't have to eat Bread, cheese, dried beef and flat fish....with ale...
I prefer the bread, cheese, beef stew and red punch of the Recluse book faire...
Robin
Sep 18, 2008 Robin rated it it was ok
I quite liked Modesitt's early stuff - but this is a bit tired. Fantasy authors often seem to write to many follow up books (See Stephen Donaldson - why would you spoil such a perfect series with a poor sequel?)... I may yet enjoy this if some clever twist appears, but it feels a bit samey at the moment.
Tyler
Mar 24, 2016 Tyler rated it it was ok
Similar to Modesitt's Imager's portfolio, he has simply re-written the first three books a few thousand years in the past. The protagonist is identical to that of every other one of his novels. The first three books were enjoyable, stop here and come back and read the remaining books once the first three have faded from your memory and you may enjoy this more.
Lydia
Jun 29, 2008 Lydia rated it it was ok
A bit on the boring side, but I plodded through since I had read the other books in the series. Was a bit disappointing to find out that this book takes place generations before the others. Basically flips back and forth between two characters and I never got into it, but I didn't have anything else to read and wasn't able to get to the library.
Hershel Shipman
While I love a good backstory and lore to a world I've already read, this got a bit dry I'll read the others just to see if they pick it up a bit(with modesitt it often does). I'd rate this closer to a 3.5 than a 3.
Christina
Aug 26, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!!

This is an amazing military high fantasy story. I greatly enjoyed it. LE Modesitt jr is a truly gifted author. This story is in depth and engaging. It will go up there with my favorite reads. On to the next in the series.
Riko Stan
Jul 09, 2011 Riko Stan rated it liked it
I should have looked into this closer. This is the start of the second trilogy, which deals with the cataclysm. it was hard to feel anything for most of the characters when I just finished the first trilogy and still thought of them as evil.
Mark Edlund
Jul 03, 2016 Mark Edlund rated it liked it
Fantasy Series
Modesitt sort of continues this series by doing a trilogy prequel. Defines how the Alectors came to power and how they manage the "steers' on the planet. Lots of political intrigue and action.
No Canadian or pharmacy references.
Craig
Aug 11, 2014 Craig rated it really liked it
Re-read. First of a prequel trilogy (prequilogy?) to the starting 3 in the Corean Chronicles. Much of it was pretty slow I'm afraid.

Re-read, 8/14. Not sure what I was thinking with the original 3 stars. 4 now.
Wraith
Feb 14, 2013 Wraith rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed with this book. It was enough to get through the first three in such a poorly written style, but to revisit the origin of the cataclysm in an equally poor style was just too much for me. I don't think I'll finish the series...=-(
Katherine
Mar 14, 2015 Katherine rated it it was ok
This is the first fantasy book Mr. Modesitt Jr has written that I have struggled to get through. I can't explain why, but I just didn't like the book and couldn't get into it.
Tm
Tm rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Danbrickey
Danbrickey rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2008
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Stephen Hooper
Stephen Hooper rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Brian Harris
Brian Harris rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2013
Jonathan Page
Jonathan Page rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Corv
Corv rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2013
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • The Dragon's Son (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #2)
  • A Magic of Nightfall (The Nessantico Cycle, #2)
  • The Wizard Lord (The Annals of the Chosen, #1)
  • Tales of Uncle Trapspringer (Dragonlance: Adventures in Krynn)
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • Illumination
  • The Dark Lord
  • Cartomancy (The Age of Discovery, #2)
  • Fistandantilus Reborn (Dragonlance: Lost Legends, #2; Forgotten Realms: Lost Gods, #2)
  • Fortress of Eagles (Fortress, #2)
  • The Covenant Rising (Dreamtime, #1)
  • Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)
  • Rides a Dread Legion (The Demonwar Saga, #1)
  • Once Upon a Summer Day (Faery, #2)
  • The Tyranny of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night, #1)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Corean Chronicles (8 books)
  • Legacies (Corean Chronicles, #1)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)
  • Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)
  • Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)
  • The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)
  • Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles, #8)

“All decisions worthy of being called such result in change. Changes never occur without cost, and the greater the decision, the greater the cost. For this reason, all decisions cause pain and discomfort.” 0 likes