Start by marking “Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)

Scepters (Corean Chronicles #3)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  2,278 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The popular creator of Recluce and of the Spellsong world of Liedwahr has built a whole new fantasy world on Corus. With each new volume of the Corean Chronicles we learn more about the magical underpinnings of this fascinating realm as we follow the continuing adventures of his reluctant hero, Alucius. In Legacies he became the first Iron Valley militiaman to escape sorce ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Tor Fantasy (first published July 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Scepters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scepters

The Color of Magic by Terry PratchettDragon on a Pedestal by Piers AnthonyTrumps of Doom by Roger ZelaznyThe Courts of Chaos by Roger ZelaznyThe Hand of Oberon by Roger Zelazny
Good Old Fashioned Fantasy
36th out of 100 books — 2 voters
Furies of Calderon by Jim ButcherCaptain's Fury by Jim ButcherImager by L.E. Modesitt Jr.First Lord's Fury by Jim ButcherPrinceps' Fury by Jim Butcher
books with almighty heroes
83rd out of 115 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
This was a very good ending for the trilogy. It neatly wrapped up the story & answered most of the important questions, although it leaves enough hanging that a sense of mystery lingers & the trilogy could be extended. The precarious ecological theme runs through this trilogy, as in most of his books. It's presented in a slightly different manner, though.

On the downside, Alucius is a little too good & the story is a little too neatly wrapped up. As a romantic, I liked it. If you wan
Daniel
Nov 18, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
Najbolji deo trilogije. Najzad smo zavrsili sa upoznavanjima i izgradnjom sveta i akcija moze da krene:)

Jedino sto mi smeta u Modesitovim knjigama je insistiranje na izmisljenim recima kao zamene za dane u nedelji slicno. Mislim utice da te prebaci u drugu zemlju ali kada je sve na sngleskom a samo tih par reci je drugacije onda nekako bode oci.

Ali u svakom slucaju zabavno stivo.
Christina
Sep 19, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!!!

I loved reading this book. It was a beautiful ending to the trilogy. Now I need to find another masterpiece to read.
William Bentrim
Feb 05, 2015 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing
Scepters by L.E. Modesitt, jr

This is book three of the Corean Chronicles. The root of Corus's problems is clearly exposed in this book. Alucius finds his wife invaluable in his quest to save not only his way of life but his whole planet.

Alucius, becomes even more deadly over-captain and continues to in insists he is nothing but a herder. Alucius's talent is continuing to grow and become more useful. The elusive and reclusive Soarers bring Wendra into the equation. Whe is forced to expand her kn
J.C. Webb
Jul 18, 2015 J.C. Webb rated it really liked it
Shelves: male-protagonist
This review is about my impressions after reading this book and the two before it. It may contain some spoilers that are inadvertent.

(view spoiler)
Liviu
Mar 25, 2013 Liviu rated it it was ok
see here for book 2 (and 1): http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

this one has Alucius finally at the supreme height of his powers and it is almost all super-dee-duper magic and boring to no end; waste of the author's skills and construction of another great character with potential to be remembered for a long time
Tyler
Mar 24, 2016 Tyler rated it liked it
Saya
Aug 02, 2010 Saya rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Daniel Shellenbarger
Scepters was a decent end to the first trilogy of Corean books, closing off Alucius and Wendra's story, but while I liked the overall story, I also felt that this book had just too much going on. Modesitt had at least two books worth of plot points crammed into a little over 600 pages, and frankly it wore me out with Alucius jumping from one problem to another while the world crumbled down around him. I suppose this wouldn't have been as much of a problem if there had been a real feeling of impe ...more
Dallas
Aug 20, 2013 Dallas rated it it was amazing
I am always worried about not stopping with the first book in the series if it was good because I don't want to be disappointed later, but no book in this series disappointed me, and I feel best for having read them all. The story comes full circle and answers any questions and loose ends by the end of the series.

One of my favorite series ever. I loved the main character and seeing how he would outsmart his troubles. I loved a lot if the descriptions about the world, and the magic is genius. I
Donald III
Aug 03, 2015 Donald III rated it it was amazing
Excellent conclusion to the trilogy, fulling developing the world and "removing the curtain" so to speak as to the true nature of the villains and the peril of this world. If you like the first two, then you enjoy the conclusion to the story.
Kevin
Oct 11, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
This is the exciting conclusion of the trilogy. It has the same stock characters and the same recycled plots, but it's familiar and I enjoy reading it. This one also had overlong descriptions of food, lots of repetition, and some preachiness. The Soarers aren't the angels they're made out to be, and the Irfit engender some sympathy. Still, it seems the Irfit are behind all the troubles in the world, for their own selfish needs. The hero and his wife are left to defeat them all on their own.
Befor
Lonna Cunningham
Feb 01, 2015 Lonna Cunningham rated it liked it
Towards the end of the book I started feeling a bit weary of the hard wavy magic.... Bit of a letdown though the series was a decent read.
Richard
Jul 07, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
A very exciting end to this trilogy, with plenty of action as is expected of this series, the magic system isn't really taken any further except for a couple of new applications/refinements of older abilities. However the majority of the story is taken up by what I would say was a sideline to the main event, I found myself getting to the last few chapters wondering how on earth this book could be wrapped up so quickly with only a few chapters to go, however I can't say I was disappointed, yes ev ...more
Mark Edlund
Jun 12, 2016 Mark Edlund rated it liked it
Fantasy series
Modesitt completes this trilogy of the Corean chronicles. Tried to cram a lot into this book and there is a good reason that he has another trilogy done to flesh out the peripheral characters. Not bad.
No Canadian, pharmacy or even our planet references.
Teresa Carrigan
Jul 06, 2014 Teresa Carrigan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Last third of the book was extremely hard to put down. I stayed up until after 2am to finish it.
Cochise Sharer
Oct 09, 2014 Cochise Sharer rated it it was amazing
it was very descriptive and brought the reader in to the book
Mnoraznan
Mar 27, 2015 Mnoraznan rated it it was amazing
A nice and satisfying conclusion to Alucius' story.
Shady Lubbad
Sep 09, 2015 Shady Lubbad rated it really liked it
Nice
LazerWraith
Nov 22, 2010 LazerWraith rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Like some other reviews have said, this book needs editorial examination. Some words are used much too often.

But I still liked the book. Modesitt didn't just create bland, totally evil bad guys who wanted to make total chaos or kill everyone. The "bad guys" were people (Efrans/ifrits) from another world. These people live off the lifeforce of worlds, and then travel to another one when it is all "used up."

These Efrans are trying to take over Alucius's world, and he must stop them.
Tom Gregorio
Oct 15, 2011 Tom Gregorio rated it liked it
In for a penny... Actually, since it's a library book, I'm not even in for that much.

The story continues with some odd twists along the way. Seems like the A-man is 'turning into a supernatural being'. And his wife, too. I can't imagine rereading this series but I'm intent on burning through it - it's very educational from a 'what not to do' way while simultaneously providing many examples of 'fluffing' I may have to resort to myself.
Uriah
Sep 17, 2009 Uriah rated it it was ok
While L.E.Modesitt tells a compelling story, the Corean Chronicles always feels to me like it is missing something. The story is much harder to pick up in any particular book than in the Recluse series and most of the messages are the same. It sometimes felt as though he had rewritten some of the Recluse books to be part of this other world.
Jill
Jan 16, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
At first I wasn't thrilled about the ending to the trilogy, but I have since reread it and I think that it grew on me a little. The ending still is a bit "neat" for my tastes and sudden, but did effectively end the three book story. I did like the first two books in the series better than the third one.
Kit
Feb 24, 2009 Kit rated it liked it
I've read a number of the Recluce books, and sometimes find Modesitt a bit challenging to read--or it could just be the mass market paper format. Anyway, I found the Corean Chronicles a bit easier going. Definitely enjoyable, although perhaps getting a tad tedious through Sceptres.
Hershel Shipman
Sep 18, 2013 Hershel Shipman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Pretty decent. The ending seemed a little rush but a good ending to the first trilogy in this series. The fact that most of the time it is a military fantasy makes it interesting. Also all of the descriptions of food just make me hungry.
Teot
Dec 27, 2010 Teot rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Modesitt cannot write female characters with any hint of authenticity. It's a huge failing of his and for this book to be focused on the relationship that involved one of those characters, didn't inspire me to love this novel.
Stan
Jun 03, 2016 Stan rated it really liked it
The conclusion to Alucius' tale. He finally confronts the beings that want to take the life of his world and leave it a dead hulk.
Luigi
May 16, 2015 Luigi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Another good book in the series good enough to keep me going to the next book.
Vals
May 17, 2013 Vals rated it really liked it
It was very dense and boring and scary but it was good.
Craig
Aug 07, 2014 Craig rated it really liked it
Re-read. 3.5 stars.

Re-read, 8/14. Upped to 4 stars.
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • A Mage in the Making (The Chronicles of Grimm Dragonblaster, #1)
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • The Wizard Lord (The Annals of the Chosen, #1)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • The Grand Crusade (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #3)
  • Fortress in the Eye of Time (Fortress, #1)
  • A Magic of Dawn (Nessantico Cycle, #3)
  • The Tyranny of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night, #1)
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • Rulers of the Darkness (Darkness, #4)
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light and Shadow, #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Corean Chronicles (8 books)
  • Legacies (Corean Chronicles, #1)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #4)
  • Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)
  • Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)
  • The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)
  • Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles, #8)