Start by marking “Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)” as Want to Read:
Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)

Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles #5)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,426 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
L. E. Modesitt, Jr. returns to the world of Corus to continue the epic trilogy begun in Alector's Choice. It is the story of the fall of a great civilization and the tale of the Alector, Colonel Dainyl, and Captain Mykel, the Corean human with special abilities.

The world Corus has been redesigned to become the new home of a superior race from a distant world whose very lif
Published May 29th 2007 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cadmian's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cadmian's Choice

Monna
Jul 05, 2012 Monna rated it really liked it
I liked this book the best of the 1st five in the series. The dynamic between the Cadmian major and the Alectors was very interesting to me. You definitely should read the 1st books in the series before this one. I started with the last of the 3 trilogies in this series (far in the future) because Book 7 was available in the library, but have enjoyed going back and filling in the blanks about this world. I still have a few books to go in the Recluce series, but I have liked this Corus series at ...more
William Bentrim
Mar 03, 2015 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing
Cadmian's Choice by L.E. Modesitt, jr

This is book five of the Corean Chronicles. The origins of Corus's problems are further exposed in this book. Book four focused on the Alector's point of view. This book presents more of the Cadmian officer, Majer Mykel's viewpoint.

Point of view may be somewhat simplistic. This volume shows some of the origins of the problems faced by Alucius, the main protagonist, in the first three books. This book is set several thousand years before the first three books
Fantasy Literature
Jun 03, 2015 Fantasy Literature rated it it was ok
Cadmian’s Choice is the fifth book in L.E. Modesitt Jr’s COREAN CHRONICLES and the second in the trilogy about Mykel and Dainyl. You don’t need to read the first trilogy in the COREAN CHRONICLES (Legacies, Darknesses, Scepters) before reading this one. In fact, I think it makes more sense to read this trilogy first since it focuses on events that occur generations before Legacies. However, you do need to read Alector’s Choice before starting Cadmian’s Choice.

In Alector’s Choice we met Mykel, a “
Brett Bydairk
Jul 20, 2008 Brett Bydairk rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any fan of good, intelligent fantasy.
Shelves: fantasy
Another fine read from this prolific author.
Laurence Burke
Feb 10, 2013 Laurence Burke rated it it was ok
In this second book of the prequel trilogy, we continue to follow the dual stories of Dainyl, the alector near the top of the military command, and Mykel, now in command of a battalion of mounted rifles. As in the earlier book, both are admonished by the mysterious "ancients" to develop their own "talent" and become more connected to the land. In Mykel's case, he must do this without being discovered by other alectors, since the nation's laws forbid talented "landers" like Mykel: he will be kill ...more
Dallas
Aug 20, 2013 Dallas rated it it was amazing
I am always worried about not stopping with the first book in the series if it was good because I don't want to be disappointed later, but no book in this series disappointed me, and I feel best for having read them all. The story comes full circle and answers any questions and loose ends by the end of the series.

One of my favorite series ever. I loved the main character and seeing how he would outsmart his troubles. I loved a lot if the descriptions about the world, and the magic is genius and
Christina
Sep 01, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A joy to read

The detail and forethought put in to this book is amazing. I love the world and the characters in it. Both Dainyl and Mykel are strong and honorable men. Trying to do what is best for their world. Loved every word!
Mark Edlund
Jul 28, 2016 Mark Edlund rated it liked it
Fantasy series
Fifth book in the Corean Chronicles. Getting a bit old and still do not understand what the alectors are all about. Despite a separation of thousands of years from the first trilogy they still have calvary charges and no change in technology. What gives?
No Canadian or pharmacy references.
Fredrick Danysh
May 20, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
On the world of Acoros a power struggle is occurring over life-force and Submarshal Dainyl and Meyer Mykel are caught in the middle. The ancients have returned and troops are disappearing along with weapons. Rebellions are being fermented in the East. The story becomes a little difficult to follow as it bounces between the two heroes.
Jill
Jan 21, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
For some reason, this trilogy just isn't as interesting as the previous Legacies trilogy. It could just be that I don't like the two protagonists in this series as much as I liked Alucius in the previous series. This book especially is politics-heavy, with only infrequent bits of action. One thing that Modesitt tends to do, that has become slightly annoying, is to spend more time in description than in actual action. It is nice to see how this prequel fits in with the Legacies trilogy, seeing wh ...more
Jul 17, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
I assumed this book would be like the author's Recluce series, meaning I could read the books in any order and it wouldn't matter. Maybe it's meant to be the same for this series but personally I felt like I was missing a lot of the references and the back-plot.

Too much politics in this book for my liking. Normally I can't put LE Modesitt's books down however this one took a long time to get finished so I don't think I'll bother reading the series from the start.
Nicole Cristelli
May 14, 2015 Nicole Cristelli rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this installment of the Corean Chronicles. The pace was slower, and there was a ton of set up and political maneuvering. The payoff was well worth it. I'm interested to see what Soarer's Choice adds to the stories of Mykel and Dainyl.
Joy
Apr 02, 2009 Joy rated it it was ok
One more after this but its not at my Library. Have to wait to finish the tril and truthfully its hardly worth it
Patricrk patrick
Sep 05, 2013 Patricrk patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
fifth book in the series. I will read the sixth. But his series are beginning to sound the same.
Uriah
Sep 17, 2009 Uriah rated it it was ok
The Recluse saga is better developed and gives many of the same plot points.
Craig
Aug 11, 2014 Craig rated it really liked it
Re-read

Re-read, 8/14. Upped to 4 stars.
Tom Gregorio
Nov 15, 2011 Tom Gregorio rated it liked it
Just grinding through the series.
Steve
Jan 17, 2016 Steve added it
Corean Chronicles
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Willie Łąka
Willie Łąka rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Alysia Montana
Alysia Montana marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
FRANK S. PERKIN JR
FRANK S. PERKIN JR rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Graeme Faichney
Graeme Faichney rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Balaji
Balaji rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Jaden
Jaden marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Morten Falkegard
Morten Falkegard marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Nina Høegh-Larsen
Nina Høegh-Larsen rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • The Ninth Talisman (The Annals of the Chosen, #2)
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • A Magic of Nightfall (The Nessantico Cycle, #2)
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow, #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • The Covenant Rising (Dreamtime, #1)
  • Dog Wizard (Windrose Chronicles, #3)
  • Bard's Oath (Dragonlord, #3)
  • Queen of Demons (Lord of the Isles, #2)
  • Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)
  • To Save a World (Darkover Omnibus, #7)
  • Mother of Lies (Dodec, #2)
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Corean Chronicles (8 books)
  • Legacies (Corean Chronicles, #1)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)
  • Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #4)
  • Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)
  • The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)
  • Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles, #8)

“In the desert, words are a waste of water. In the ocean, speech will drown one.” 0 likes