Start by marking “Childproofing Your Dog: A Complete Guide to Preparing Your Dog for the Children in Your Life” as Want to Read:

Master dog trainer and author of Good Owners, Great Dogs Brian Kilcommons shows readers how to encourage children and dogs to be perfect companions, in a comprehensive manual that demonstrates how to train an older dog to acept an infant, choose the right breed, and more.
Published April 1st 1994 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Childproofing Your Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Childproofing Your Dog

Meghan
Mar 16, 2015 Meghan rated it liked it
This is a decent book for a certain subset of people.

Namely, if you don't know crap about dogs, and you have no idea how to teach your children to be safe around them (I know there are people like this out there.. I'm related to a few of them), this book will teach you how to keep your children safe around dogs. Some nice pics for reading dog body language, too, so your inappropriately friendly child won't run at a fearful or aggressive dog .. and get bitten.

For most dog-savvy families, though,
Jen
Jul 06, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
Another brief but good book by two excellent authors.
Apr 21, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
A very quick and basic guide to keeping a safe home with a dog and a child. Some of the advice is very obvious (don't give your dog a baby doll to play tug of war with and then get upset when it mauls your baby) and some of it is slightly more informative, like bumping into the dog and taking away his/her food to check the way he or she is probably going to react to a baby. I didn't feel like it was all that eye-opening, but it's worth the read for first-time parents and pet owners.
Jul 13, 2008 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, july2008, baby
This could be helpful to someone who has never had a dog and knows nothing about dogs. Maybe. This contained common sense points, things that aren't even child-specific in my opinion, but good suggestions otherwise. There's not a lot of actual advise, and often times defaults to "seek professional help" for anything that might be a behavioral problem. There are much better sources of info out there, and I'd suggest skipping this one.
britt_brooke
Apr 27, 2012 britt_brooke rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
I read this book during one singular bubble bath, that's how short it is. While it did raise some great points - ones that I will take to heart - you can find every bit of this information one the web. For free.
Debbie
Mar 31, 2007 Debbie rated it liked it
A quick and easy read with helpful information. I plan to refer to the suggestions in this book when our first baby arrives (and grows through childhood).
Carey
Jul 07, 2009 Carey rated it liked it
Great book for families with a pregnant Mommy, infant, and/or toddler. Easy to read and helpful.
diana
Mar 24, 2007 diana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Expecting parents who have dogs
I've read this book several times over, but I'm still referring to it.
Drue
Sep 25, 2012 Drue rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty basic knowledge
Elizabeth A.
Elizabeth A. rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Zoe Wilson
Zoe Wilson rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2016
Jo Hanbury
Jo Hanbury rated it did not like it
Jun 28, 2016
Melissa Morgado
Melissa Morgado rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2016
Carrie Mack
Carrie Mack rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
EH
EH added it
Jan 26, 2016
Dawn Gainor
Dawn Gainor rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
MN_Mandy
MN_Mandy marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Carbonel
Carbonel rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Miss Jane
Miss Jane rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Chris T.
Chris T. rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Heather Cannon
Heather Cannon rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Lisa  Tiedemann
Lisa Tiedemann rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Laura Adams
Laura Adams marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Tes Loftus
Tes Loftus rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Lieblingsbuch
Lieblingsbuch marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Tom Morse
Tom Morse rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2015