Start by marking “Jack London's Dog” as Want to Read:
Jack London's Dog

Jack London's Dog

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In 1897 Jack London went to the Gold Rush in the Yukon. This was to be a harsh time in the North Country with 100,000 men from all over America as well as other countries who came to strike it rich. However, Jack London landed just as the Fall "freeze up" came and no one could pan for gold until Spring. While waiting to strike it rich, London stayed with other men on Split ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Great Plains Press

To ask other readers questions about Jack London's Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack London's Dog

Sep 05, 2014 GoldGato rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Barry Moser fans
When Jack London wrote The Call of the Wild, he based it upon the real-life doggy he knew when he was up in the Yukon Gold Rush. London returned to California upon becoming ill, but what happened to the pup? This book attempts to answer that question, fictionally.

No one knew how many men were lost to the oceans of snow that fell during the winter.

In this book, the author comes up with a story about Jack The Dog being stolen, abused, rescued, and then finding his path. I liked the idea, and I was
Kathleen Garber
Jack London is the author of Call of the Wild and other books. The story Call of the Wild was based on his dog in the North. He left the dog there when he went home and wrote his novel.

The back of the book makes it sound like this is the true story of the dog who is also named Jack. Like perhaps the some of the people who had him when Jack London left finally told the story. However this is not true. This is the story of what MIGHT have happened to his dog as told by Dirk Wales.

The story itsel
This book invokes Jack London but does not evoke him. Contrary to what the description says, this is a work of fiction about a dog that Jack London *might* have spent a few months with in the Yukon, and supposedly based Buck, from Call of the Wild on. The book is actually stories about what the author thinks might have happened to the dog after London left his company. Unfortunately, the author is no Jack London, and the prose is just not pleasant to read. First story after London leaves, how th ...more
Robert Bason
I got this book because I am a HUGE FAN of the illustrator, Barry Moser - and I was NOT disappointed. As usual, his work is stunning. Finally, I got around to reading the book itself and it was sort of fun and sort of interesting. The author is obviously trying to use fiction to tell a background on a Jack London story and doing it in a sort of Jack London style.
While the writing left a little to be desired (I thought the ending was a little abrupt), I would recommend checking out this book for the illustrations alone.
Aubrey Scott
Aubrey Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Mary Chambers
Mary Chambers marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2011
Christina loepp
Christina loepp marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2011
Luis Lelievre
Luis Lelievre marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2011