Dr. Strangelove (Penguin Joint Venture Readers)

Dr. Strangelove (Penguin Joint Venture Readers)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This 1958 novel of atomic holocaust was the basis of Stanley Kubricks savage and unforgettable film Dr. Strangelove. A mad USA General declares war and dispatches a fleet, each armed with the A-bomb; one bomber evades the frantic recall. George, a Britis
Published July 11th 2001 by Longman (first published 1958)

Erik Graff
May 28, 2008 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: seeing the movie
Shelves: literature
After seeing this darkly funny movie at Park Ridge's Pickwick Theatre, I went off to the bookstore near the Post Office to purchase the novelization, not knowing that the film had been based on a previous novel by the same primary author, George, entitled Red Alert. The book did not disappoint as it followed the screenplay very closely.

Both Seven Days in May and Failsafe, two other movies about the threat of global war, were released at about the same time, not long after the Kennedy assassinati...more
Jacque
Interesting book. Would have been a whole lot scarier reading it in 1982, when I was 12 years old and living just across the river from Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha. We knew that was a target for Russian missiles. Glad I didn't know about this book then or I wouldn't have slept for weeks.
Anushka
My first reaction when I got to the ending was - what the hell?!
The point supposedly is the farcical nature of life at times and how worrying serves no purpose. With that end, it serves its purpose. And does it well!
Becky
As a fan of the movie, I enjoyed this book, although someday I think I'd like to read the original novel, "Red Alert," from which this book was based.
Preston Sinclair
This is the third book in a row I've read from the war genre, including The Hunger Games, and War by Sebastian Junger. George's war is in the nuclear era and is written in a dark, comedic style which lent itself to Stanley Kubrick's classic movie version of Dr Strangelove. While George's characters are based on real people, he paints the Leaders as bumbling idiots who fumble there way to nuclear war. Having observed the wars in Iraq, and Afghanistan I don't believe this to be true. If what Peter...more
Katie
I suppose it's pretty bad to read this having not seen the film, but I love anything about nuclear war, it fascinates me, so this really was a must-read.

The story is meant to be a comedy, and although there were moments that did make me smile, there weren't any laugh out loud moments. I read that this book was written based off the script, so perhaps some of the elements that made the film so enjoyable are lost in the text? The idea is that the Cold War is basically ended by a sequence of milit...more
علی
The bomb explodes, and life on Earth's surface will be extinct in ten months due to the Doomsday Machine. Dr. Strangelove recommends to the President that a group of about 200,000 people be relocated deep in a mine shaft, where the nuclear fallout cannot reach them, so that the USA can be repopulated afterwards. Because of space limitations, Strangelove suggests a gender ratio of "ten females to each male, "with the women selected for their sexual characteristics, and the men selected on the bas...more
Keith
I read this black comedy in the 1960's.
Jacqueline Tucker
It was a good read. Dark and funny.
Tom Schulte
I didn't know this was Peter George's novelization of the witty and satiric screenplay by Terry Southern, et al. Not my typical fare, but this is a fast and fun read closely tracking the famous flick. The switching between bomber Leper Colony, Burpleson AFB and The War Room keep the energy up for quick and funny read. Hold true to the purity and essence of your bodily fluids! :)
Stop

The STOP SMILING Rebels + Outlaws Issue features an interview with Stanley Kubrick by Terry Southern.
Xenothaulus
I just finished it this morning, and frankly it is kind of meh. Probably a rare case of the movie being better than the book, likely, in fact, given the book is a novelization of the movie, rather than the other way around. I guess now I will have to watch it.
Namiko
Oct 04, 2011 Namiko added it
I don't understand the ending. They failed. The nuclear bomb will explode. Dr. Stragelove just make a suggestion at last that some proper people live underground? I don't really understand how people like this story. tell me?
Ayne Ray
A pitch-perfect black comedy about nuclear annihilation. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Ashley
This was a fun book. I went on a classic movie spree and knew I had to read the book behind this one.
David
If you have seen the movie, you've read the book. Kubrick did little to change anything.
Jeffrey
A classic. No better or worse than the movie.
Jeffrey
Quick book, reads just like the movie.
Sherry
Depicts the cold war and its craziness.
☯Bettie☯
HATTIP TO TA - Published as Red Alert in '58
Ville
Ville marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine marked it as to-read
Katie Keohane
Katie Keohane marked it as to-read
Liv
Liv marked it as to-read
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
  • The Short-Timers
  • Paths of Glory
  • Vertigo (NFT/BFI Film Classics)
  • Harold and Maude
  • King Kong
  • City Life
  • Sucker's Portfolio
  • Founders (The Coming Collapse)
  • Out of Time's Abyss (Caspak, #3)
  • Martians, Go Home
  • The Mouse That Roared
  • Around the World With Auntie Mame
  • The Haunted Vagina
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Disney's Tarzan (A Read-Aloud Storybook)
  • Noise
  • San Francisco Blues
  • Hegira
Born in Manchester but now living in Cambridge, David Bowker is author of six novels, including The Secret Sexist, From Stockport with Love and, most recently, Rawhead and Rawhead in Love. He was voted 'Manchester Writer of the Year' by City Life magazine.
More about David Bowker...
How to Be Bad I Love My Smith and Wesson: A Novel The Death You Deserve: A Novel The Death Prayer The Secret Sexist