Start by marking “Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja

Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja

Summary

Secrets of the Javascript Ninja takes you on a journey towards mastering modern JavaScript development in three phases: design, construction, and maintenance. Written for JavaScript developers with intermediate-level skills, this book will give you the knowledge you need to create a cross-browser JavaScript library from the ground up.

About this Book

You can't always
Published January 14th 2013 by Manning Publications (first published 2008)

Denis
Jul 15, 2013 Denis rated it it was amazing
Since JavaScript is the most popular language on GitHub, it is reasonable to assume that at some point any decent programmer will use it. For a long time, however, it has not been obvious whether we have to actually learn JavaScript. Some would even argue that CoffeeScript is a better language and we should skip learning JavaScript altogether.

In my opinion, this is a faulty path. Although some people, especially those with Ruby background, may find the syntax of CoffeeScript rather appealing, it
Naum
Jan 13, 2013 Naum rated it really liked it
I believe I purchased this book back in 2008 or 2009 -- it was an early purchase, with rights to read the developing digital text. Well, in 2013, a physical paper copy finally showed up on my doorstep.

Have seen criticism that this book doesn't cover asynchronous module loading and definition, newer javascript frameworks and/or that it looks like just a blatant money grab by jQuery creator and esteemed Javascript hacker emeritus John Resig. The latter charges are beyond silly and the beef about
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jan 25, 2013 Jeanne Boyarsky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
“Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja” has four parts. Two are awesome, one was ok and one went over my head. Let's look at each section in turn.

Preparing for training
The first two chapters cover some important concepts such as how to test, log and watch out for performance problems. I'll be honest. At this point in the book, I was thinking the book was “fair.” There was important information but it was a little dry. And there was page of code without any footnotes explaining it and only a brief desc
Sebastian Gebski
Apr 12, 2013 Sebastian Gebski rated it really liked it
Another JavaScript book? What would be the point of reading another JavaScript book? These were exactly my thoughts, but I've reconsidered when I'd found out that it's author (John Resig) is creator of jQuery - it's certainly some kind of a proof that this dude is surely capable of telling you something valuable about JavaScript. Of course being a good programmer doesn't make you a good writer, but I was eager to take the risk.

So, the book is good, maybe even very good. I love the way he approac
Sergey Khomyuk
Jul 16, 2013 Sergey Khomyuk rated it it was amazing
Хорошая и полезная книга. В большинстве книг по JavaScript, которые я читал до этого в основном говорилось либо о самом языке, либо о работе с ним в рамках абстрактного браузера в вакууме. В "JavaScript Ninja" помимо общих вещей о языке, очень большое внимание уделяется нюансам работы в различных браузерах: feature detection, graceful degradation, events model, DOM model manipulation (attrs, quering, creation, duplication, ...). Да, jQuery позволяет забыть о многих из этих вещей, но знать как он ...more
Warren Bank
Sep 11, 2016 Warren Bank rated it it was amazing
It goes without saying that John deserves all the respect in the world. When he speaks (or writes a book), the wise thing to do is to be quiet and listen/read.

Having finished this book, my over-all review is that this was definitely a worth-while read. The reader shouldn't expect the skies to part and a beam of light to shine down. Personally, I found a few pearls.. very useful tips that I wasn't aware were possible (passing a callback function to String.replace to operate on regex capture group
Lim
Jun 13, 2013 Lim rated it it was amazing
This is THE JavaScript book. I stumbled upon this book while searching for some alternatives to the crude JavaScript: The Good Parts. There is nothing wrong with Douglas Crockford's book; it's just too ... boring for me. John Resig has a more creative way to make you remember his teachings; every example chosen is a winner, and relevant as well, which is to be expected of the jQuery's inventor. This book will educate you from the language's basic to more advanced concepts such as the navigating ...more
Jon Gauthier
Apr 01, 2012 Jon Gauthier rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Web developers who don't use a JS library (jQuery, Mootools, ..)
Some parts of the book were genuinely useful and interesting, providing introspection into things like closures and the unusual JS prototype model. The rest of the book, however, concerned itself with pointing out IE loopholes and minor points of things like eval and the DOM API. This may be interesting to some, but most web devs I know nowadays don't need to (and don't want to) worry about these things.
Daniel
Feb 24, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Provides building blocks to understanding JavaScript (and JavaScript Frameworks) at deeper level. The depth of knowledge required by authors to write this book is incredible and often intimidating. If I could be 10% as good as them when writing JavaScript code I'd be content. This book feels like fundamental step on that journey.
Mandarinsoda
Aug 29, 2008 Mandarinsoda is currently reading it
Jquery is an excellent library.
Majid
Dec 12, 2016 Majid rated it it was amazing
Must -read book for JavaScript developers
Mark Nenadov
Mar 27, 2015 Mark Nenadov rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for those who work with JavaScript frequently, are inquisitive about how things work, and aren't just satisfied to depend on some of the abstractions that libraries provide. In fact, it reveals many of the tricks that the libraries use.

If you are not faint of heart and are less than a total expert, this book is going to move your understanding forward significantly! There are many examples provided--so be prepared to roll up your sleeves!

The sections on closures, scope, and
Nenad Cikic
Dec 29, 2015 Nenad Cikic rated it it was amazing
Great if not one of the greatest book you can read on the javascript. And every javascript developer should read it. I would say read Crockford for discipline and rule based development. Read Resig for hidden, if you want to call them that way, techniques.

Ultimately, each of them will give you great knowledge of the language but learning from both will give you the mastery you require and discipline to achieve.

Especially, in the age of google programmers when everyone can google problem and th
Wouter
Aug 16, 2014 Wouter rated it it was amazing
One of the best JS books I've read, period. It covers everything, but it does require you to have some (even more-than-basic) knowledge on JS so maybe it's a good idea to start with something else and then become a true ninja by studying this book carefully - do not forget the details.
Even for someone like me who claims to know the ins and outs of JS, this book gave me some new insights on how to abuse JS to do some dynamic evaluation. It shows amazing tricks like function decompilation, alteri
Stijn
Feb 17, 2013 Stijn rated it liked it
Shelves: it
Most parts of the book are an interesting read about some slightly more advance parts of the Javascript language, providing you useful examples.

Other parts (DOM manipulation, events, css selecotors, ...) will serve more as a reference to most Javascript developers (myself including), since you would be most likely using a well known library (e.g. JQuery) to handle these kinds of things for you.

Personal downside: I pre-ordered this book 2 months before the expected publish date, but in the end it
Eric Bernstein
Sep 06, 2014 Eric Bernstein rated it really liked it
Comparing it to 'JS the good parts' may or may not be fair. The focus is different and, in fact, Ninja lists The Good Parts as good pre-reading. Still, I have to say, I'd put this guy well ahead. I found both excellent reads, but Crockford came across as exceptionally arrogant while Resig (who has a right to be just as arrogant) was far more personable and seemed to want you to understand things rather than just waving his hands and saying do it this way.

The more I play with Java 8, the more an
Eric
Jun 09, 2014 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: own, programming
This might be the first Manning book that I didn't absolutely love. That's not to say it wasn't a good book, but (probably because of my familiarly or lack there-of with the subject matter) I wasn't able to follow along as closely as some of the others. It did get my all around JS knowledge leveled up, and I enjoyed some of the insights presented, but towards the end I could tell my interest was flagging along with my ability to follow along, and I just skimmed the last two chapters so I could f ...more
Julian Jelfs
Oct 02, 2013 Julian Jelfs rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. You might not like it if you are just happy to lean on the frameworks you already have. But if you really want to understand the javascript language and the tricks those frameworks us, then this is a great read. It is pretty dense and pretty fast paced so probably not for beginners.
Prasanna
Apr 25, 2013 Prasanna rated it really liked it
This is a great book if you are interested in writing javascript libraries and understanding how a big library like JQuery works. It's definitely not a quick read, and works well with other books in this space, definitely keeping my Douglas Crockford books around. The focus on testing from the beginning was refreshing unlike lots of other books javascript books I've read.
Sergey
Aug 25, 2013 Sergey rated it it was amazing
Must-have книга для любого уважающего себя JavaScript-разработчика.
Первая часть книги объясняет азы JavaScript-программирования, которые, как выясняются ясны далеко не всем коллегам, называющих себя "веб-разработчиками". Вторая часть книги будет интересна продвинутым и допускаю, что может показаться скучноватой новичкам.
В целом, книга - шедевр. Очень рекомендую.
Horatio Nunez
Jun 11, 2013 Horatio Nunez rated it it was amazing
Nowadays JavaScript is safely one of the language that as a programmer you ought to know well.
Between this book and "JavaScript: The Good Parts" by Douglas Crockford you are all set to achieve
just that. But read this first. And if you can take a second advice, on your off reading time try to implement jQuery yourself as you finish the chapters. It will make all the difference.
Roy Klein
Dec 02, 2012 Roy Klein rated it liked it
Good content hidden inside horrible horrible writing style. I don't know if there is any example that doesn't use the word ninja. I get it, javascript is a shitty language, so you're trying to make it sound cool. But the examples are left impractical, irrelevant and sort of blend in after you read enough of them.
James Parra
Mar 12, 2014 James Parra rated it really liked it
Excellent coverage of the more advanced concepts in Javascript (not an entry level book) with a fresh and fun point of view ... Ninja Training! Great coverage of what is important and how to write Javascript properly in the year 2013+
Clark
Jun 04, 2013 Clark rated it really liked it

I still hate Javascript, but needs must. As an Actionscript developer, I found the book to be perfect for my learning needs. John Resig is a well known guru so this book should be a part of anyone interested in JS application development.
Nguyen Huu Anh Vu
Jul 21, 2016 Nguyen Huu Anh Vu rated it really liked it
The book describes in details (too much details, perhaps) on the techniques behind many popular JS libraries (jQuery, prototype)
This version also mentions how to write code for multiple browsers. Since IE is the odd one out, most of the code is for working around IE.
Nephi
Jan 13, 2014 Nephi rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the good ones for sure. Resig uses great examples and demonstrates how to solve many of the problems caused by browser variation. This book will remain a reference for my while I work through my own browser related JavaScript bugs.
Jorge David Fernandez
May 14, 2013 Jorge David Fernandez rated it liked it
Shelves: dev
Lots of useful javascript information. I was expecting more functional features and mentions of design patterns. Would have liked explanations on why best practices rather than the how. Very good book overall.
Josh
Mar 04, 2013 Josh is currently reading it
Shelves: development
I am keeping notes on the chapters for a VersionOne.com company book club at https://github.com/JogoShugh/Learning.... While not a complete set of notes, I'm converting most of the samples into CoffeeScript as I go.
Sean Canton
Aug 27, 2014 Sean Canton rated it it was amazing
Not finished with it yet. Very well written tech book. Minimal code samples, but very effective at demonstrating concepts. I have to say, I feel like I didn't learn anything NEW from this book, but it put things together in a way that increased my understanding of JavaScript immensely.
Kulbhushan Singh
Nov 07, 2015 Kulbhushan Singh rated it really liked it
This introduced me to hacky JavaScript world. It teaches you how jQuery library was created and the amazing things you can achieve with JavaScript
  • High Performance JavaScript
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Pro JavaScript Design Patterns
  • Single Page Web Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »