Start by marking “Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face” as Want to Read:
Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face

Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face (Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E. #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  1,555 ratings  ·  57 reviews
SC, TPB, in cello, New, Written by WARREN ELLIS. Art and cover by STUART IMMONEN. Published in January of 2008. Softcover, 144 pages, full color. Cover price $14.99.
Published January 23rd 2008 by Marvel (first published February 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2

Keely
Most of the time, comics do not benefit from deep and patient consideration. The vast majority owe their popularity to a world of powerless men trapped in a work-a-day world that provides them little pride and less edification. Readers of history often fantasize about living in another age, readers of travelogues imagine impossibly pricey vacations, and fans of Romance want an 'unbound pillar of desire', which I think is a piece by Rodin.

Likewise, many comic readers have been happy for little mo
Colin
Just hilarious! This series is already a 'kick in the face' to the stale superhero genre, and these are so sarcastically, fantastically over the top it's fun to reread them looking for the funny bits you missed. From a covert pilfering of Captain America's urine to a fight scene splash page featuring an epic battle with half naked ninja, blue pirates whose peg legs shoot lasers, tiny Iron-Man mask wearing leather bar wrestlers and huge floating Elvis heads shooting cheeseburgers, there isn't a b ...more
Mark
Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.
Author: Warren Ellis, Stuart Immonen
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Published In: New York City, NY, USA
Date: 2008
Pgs: 144

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
Explosions. Sex. Dragons. Robots. Nextwave is coming.

Genre:
Adventure
Comics and graphic novels
Fiction
Superheroes

Why this book:
Warren Ellis wrote it.

This Stories are About:
blowing up the bad guys and the bad guys’ boss and the bad guys’ boss’ boss until you get to the top of the pyramid

Favorite Character:
The Captain for his
Gregory Gay
"First, I'm gonna kill whoever's in there, then I'm gonna **** them, then I'm going to make a joke, then I'm gonna **** them again. I'm gonna be a super hero."

Yeah, that's about all you need to know about Nextwave.
Virginia
Not nearly as funny as the first volume (but then, what could be?) but still an enjoyably ridiculous ride.
Martin
Warren Ellis obviously had a LOT of fun writing this book (maybe too much?). The irreverent spirit of Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. was mostly refreshing, however at times it seemed to me that Ellis was trying too hard. Still - I enjoyed most of the stories and the um... "threats" the team went against were imaginative. The best part was the banter between the teammates.

Art-wise, Immonen went for a style that is somewhat more stylized than his usual output and the frequent "overly-cartoony-ness"
Jace
Jul 23, 2010 Jace rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I wanted to like this book. I really did. I had heard good things about it from acquaintances. And there's been some critical buzz I suppose. But in the end I just didn't enjoy it very much.

I understand this book is supposed to be funny. It's certainly not a traditional comic. But the entire series boils down to this: the heroes blow stuff up and fight through panel after panel of goofy monsters while making snide wisecracks. Sometimes it's funny, yes. But ultimately, it just feels so inconsequ
Benjamin
This awesome comic has complete out-of-control hilarity at every panel! I really can not recommend this enough. It's so bizarre, but so perfect. Every other issue the setting changes for a new sub-story, which allows for various scene changes and new dynamics in the satire to pop up.

We need more comics like this.
Mabel
By the time I opened this volume I knew better than to expect an intellectual poly-sci-fi story. This is meant to be light parody, full of the most obvious portrayals of superhero stereotypes and comic cheesiness. Volume 2 gets interesting once Ellis introduces one of Marvel's most dangerous, all-but-forgotten supervillians: ForBush Man. That's right. He's short and unthreatening to look at, but when he pulls the saucepan off his head and unleashes his power, the whole Nextwave team (or at least ...more
Doug
A holiday gift from Monte, we got the two volumes of this series that was put out in singles most of last year juuust in time before i went to purchase them myself.

I loved these books. They are the funniest things i have ever read in graphical form, lampooning comic cliche's, characters and scenarios. Not only funny, though, is self admittedly a straight up action monster of a book that "striving to kick you in the face via a comic book." It works best for comic junkies who can get the inside wi
Mark Desrosiers
This installment (hopefully not the last? please?) works as both ultraviolent slapstick and a snarky piss-take on comix history. The centerpiece is a hilarious sequence of hippie-mushbrained superhero "alternate histories" illuminated (er, I mean caused) by Forbush-vision. And let's not forget both the verbal and visual speculations that Captain America was gay. Which is a perfect counterpart to the Euro sign now curving gloriously round Elsa Bloodstone's breasts.

Smart, stoopid, and hilarious:
Vashon Bench
The fun continues!
Neil
Ellis takes his most acerbic qualities to this tongue-in-cheek series. When Giffen and DeMatteis took the venerable Justice League on a lighthearted, comedic ride back in the '80s, it opened the door for "in continuity" absurdity in comics. Nextwave is a modern, aggressive and ridiculous version of the same thing. Ellis utilizes some of his tried and true "comic era as genre commentary" tropes to good effect, all the while keeping things funny. Good stuff.
Braden A.
This book got better and better with each issue.

It has 6 different stories, each told over the space of 2 issues.

Each is filled with pop culture references, both obscure and in-your-face, and Warren Ellis' witty prose and dialogue give it a sense of humor rarely encountered in the medium.

It's one of the funniest books I have ever read.

A colourful cast of characters all spoofing current superhero models and trends, and it just oozes style and fun.
Michael
I just looked over my issues of this again now that the series is done and it's been a healthy amount of time so that i can appreciate it again....

Literally one of teh funniest comics out there. The amount of weird, out-out there, laough out loud humor was just unbelievable.

I haven't laughed this hard in quite some time.

Issue 10 takes such advantage of it's readers and the space it takes up that it's just laughable.
Bryan Worra
There are moments as funny as volume 1, and it maintains the minimalist philosophy of "things get kicked, things explode, and things get kicked AND explode."

And there's something to it all that actually makes this a refreshing read as a result compared to some of the deeper heavier and grimmer works out there.

Volume 1 is definitely a not-miss, volume 2 is still worth picking up.
Brad
Warren Ellis continues his senseless romp though the third tier of Marvel's superheroes. For what was supposed to be a regular series, this second and last volume wraps up the Nextwave vs. H.A.T.E. storyline quite well, with twist endings and back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back two-page splashes.
Stuart Immonen's art teeters on the edge between energetic and incomprehensible.
Sineala
Maybe not as good as the first half of the run, but still pretty hilarious. I love Devil Dinosaur. And Elsa's Euro shirt! And apparently all of the Avengers hitting on Monica.

Hilarious. Awful. Hilariawful. Stuff goes boom. Read it.
Adam
I hate super heroes and yet I love this book. Perhaps, like me Mr Ellis also hates superheroes? What ever the reason, this book as inventive as any cotumned adventure I've ever read, and Ellis completely eschews the grim and gritty affectations of most modern comics; which is a welcome change. This is a book that features a T-Rex in a smoking jacket. How could you not love it?
David
Totally fun, and no redeeming value whatsoever. Pokes fun at the genre and at itself. Lots of inside jokes. This second half of the series went downhill a bit - some of the jokes got a little stale - but still quite entertaining and a worthwhile read. I recommend getting both volumes (or all 12 issues however you want to do it) and read them all in one sitting.
Gavin
Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen spoof the entire world of superhero comics...Part 2.
This is again funny, and ridiculous, kinda like Doom Patrol meets the Avengers (who someone likes to keep mentioning she used to lead).
I like all these characters, and would love to read more, but that's it.
Funny, but Volume 1 is where to start.
Fun, quick read.
Sonya S
I am so sad that this fantabulous little series was so short. I really am. I loved reading about this crack-team crew who didn't really care that much about one another! I loved Dirk Anger, (who desperately and seriously needs a therapist, poor thing) I loved the broccoli-clones (and I loved that term). Couldn't there be more? Please?
Federiken Masters
Mismas virtudes y mismos defectos que el #1, por lo tanto se gana el mismo puntaje. Eso sí, el capítulo que es una doble splash-page tras otra roza la genialidad. Lástima que, nuevamente, todo es bastante simpático pero tiene pocas cosas graciosas en sí.
Callum
Aug 22, 2007 Callum rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any comic book fan!
Shelves: graphic-novels
Bam!!! Amazing cool and sharp as a butter knife, Nextwave Volume 2 doesn't fail to deliver on the promise of its first part and I can't wait for more. Come on Ellis, I know you are writing every book Marvel is putting out right now, but you got to make some time for this again in your near future, pretty please!
Christian Lipski
More of the same - violent anti-social behavior from the goofiest ragtag bunch of renegade superheroes, fighting an anti-terrorist group founded by terrorists who are releasing unusual weapons upon the citizens of our fair country.
Jamie
Jan 14, 2008 Jamie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of self-referential humor as it pertains to superheroes
Shelves: graphicnovels
It's not them, it's me. This is an exceptionally well done comic. I liked vol. 2 better than vol. 1, Ellis tosses out some truly whacked ideas, and Immonen is a true master with the ink. It's just not my sense of humor, alas.
catechism
another re-read, and this time I liked it less than I did the first time. Mostly it just pales in comparison to the first one.

###
[original comment] Not as good as volume 1, but still hilarious and well worth reading.
Meghan
The full splash-pages make me want Stuart Immonen to illustrate every comic book ever and for Warren Ellis to keep writing this delicious mayhem for all time. Alas, we were only given those twelve precious issues.
Matt
Nextwave is great if you're looking for a slapstick/slightly satirical look at superheroes and the powers behind them. Fun, quick, and easy to read, there is no excuse not to enjoy this book.
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 2: The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven
  • X-Factor: Many Lives of Madrox
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 5: Magic Bus
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 3: The Book of the Iron Fist
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1: Gods and Monsters
  • Invincible, Vol. 10: Who's the Boss?
  • Agents of Atlas
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...

Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E. (2 books)
  • Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1: This is What They Want
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)