Start by marking “Dragon Fire” as Want to Read:
Dragon Fire

Dragon Fire

William S. Cohen, former Secretary of Defense, US Senator and Congressman, has walked the most powerful corridors in the world. Now, in Dragon Fire, he takes us with him into the top-secret rooms where the fate of the world is held in the hearts and minds of men with dangerous and hidden agendas. Packed with action and espionage, intrigue and romance, Dragon Fire is a rive ...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Forge Books (first published August 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Fire

Nathaniel
Dec 09, 2015 Nathaniel rated it liked it
For a thriller written by a politician, it's actually pretty good. As a thriller overall, it's pretty average. The storytelling is mostly flat and there's too much focus on the plot moving forward through meetings and other bureaucratic events vs. actual action. I understand that Cohen as a bureaucrat wrote what he knew, but it often doesn't make for interesting reading. Also, he's not at all good at building suspense until the last 30 pages or so: generally, every time there's a plot twist that ...more
Seth Kaplan
Needed a quick easy read, and this certainly was that. Clancyesque, but with poorly developed characters and a plot that focused too much on a large number of bad things happening to the US all at once. Would have liked to have learned much more about Elena, which the book jacket seemed to imply would happen, but never really did. Cohen's second effort was a bit better,but I'm not certain it'll be worth trying his third.
Chris Billman
Dec 07, 2011 Chris Billman rated it liked it
The back cover sounded good, reminiscent of a Tom Clancy novel mixing political intrigue, spies, and action while the fate of the world rested on a few reluctant shoulders. The execution was unfortunately unable to live up to my meager expectations for a pop fiction novel.

I was drawn to this book because of China. It's my second home and a place where I've spent many years living, but clearly Cohen has not. His knowledge of China seems paper thin which seems about as thick as his character deve
Linda
Dec 29, 2015 Linda rated it liked it

An early politico thriller of William Cohen (2006), the first 200 pages plod exceedingly slowly; however, it then picks up and Part III is a page turner. As with his other works, I often wonder how much of his story telling is tale spinning and how much is creatively based on events he lived/knew/hear of during his illustrious career in public service.
Jack
Dec 18, 2007 Jack rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, fiction
Written by President Clinton's last Secretary of Defense William Cohen (prior to that a Republican Senator from Maine), I thought a nice fiction book about a SecDef might offer some realistic insider accounts of how things work in the Pentagon. I'm thinking not so much on the realist part, but it was still a lot of fun. Perhaps this shouldn't be a surprise, but the hero of the story is a former two term senator who comes on board to help a president by serving as SecDef. Low and behold, the SecD ...more
Christopher Ramsay
Jul 29, 2016 Christopher Ramsay rated it it was amazing
Intriguing story which kept me interested from the beginning of the book until the end.
Joe White
Mar 19, 2011 Joe White rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-shelf, fiction
The plot could have come from Tom Clancy. This was all one-dimensional governmental types in a high tension espionage thriller. Some of the problems that I had with it were that the bad guys concealed their activities too well which created the suspense, but just has very little bearing on reality. The good guys were all extremely one dimensional and in a couple of cases almost supermen. The wrap up ending was so unrealistic that I lost interest nearing the end.
George
Mar 25, 2012 George rated it liked it
International thriller in which the U.S. is the focus of a conspiracy by rouge elements in China, Russia and Germany to make the three the dominate countries in the world. Most of the action takes place at the highest levels of the U.S. government with the Secretary of Defense as the one who works through the situation.

Fairly fast paced story line with a lot of intrigue especially among U.S. intelligence departments and a top level presidential advisor.
Sally Witt
Jul 05, 2013 Sally Witt rated it it was amazing
My Mom gave me this book after she read it. She said that it was really good.

I was afraid that I would be bored - politics, war, technical details, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the characters and the brave story lines - unexpected twists and turns.

I loved it, and highly recommend it to everyone
Jim McCulloch
Dec 04, 2013 Jim McCulloch rated it did not like it
Shelves: trash-can
Poorly edited. Jarring POV issues. Author demonstrates limited understanding of US military: ranks, differences between branches, and normal protocols despite being SecDef. No military experience himself . . . and it is obvious. Story line lags and remains essentially unclear until well past the halfway point.
Rives Coleman
Apr 29, 2015 Rives Coleman rated it liked it
slow at beginning but finished well...
Opa
Jul 28, 2010 Opa rated it really liked it
A fast paced action thriller seen from the top level of government. He uses the name of Jesus Christ too many times and not in a nice way. Don't know why authors use F-bombs and god type expletives when there are better ways of describing emotion.
Garrett
Aug 28, 2008 Garrett rated it it was ok
If you are into politics and political intrigue, then this book is for you. For me, I found it rather slow moving and dull. Most books take me a couple days to finish, but this one took almost a month to get through.
Debbie Duran
Aug 10, 2010 Debbie Duran rated it really liked it
Fascinating inside view of politics that I was unaware of. Keeping everyone straight was a little difficult. I need to look at a hierarchy chart of political offices, there are sooo many. Intriguiing right to the end.
Stefan
Apr 19, 2010 Stefan rated it liked it
The premise of this novel, a conspiracy theory of sorts, had a irritatingly familiar.plot, characters, and dialogue was average. On the other hand, the story kept movingly along at a fast-pace.
Clark
Mar 20, 2008 Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book on international intrigue and manipulation. Also gives good insight into how the US intelligence community interacts, written by former Secretary of Defense.
Ted Way
Mar 24, 2007 Ted Way rated it liked it
A former Secretary of Defense is able to give an insider view of what goes on in the upper echelons of government, but the story gets a bit too fantastic at the end.
Justin Shaum
Oct 18, 2012 Justin Shaum rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
Reminds me of Clear and Present Danger the movie. Overall good. Long and a lot of places drawn out but it really adds to the overall picture of the story.
Barb
Mar 18, 2009 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to read this book, but it definitely is one I'd recommend. The ending catches you off guard.
Walter Germann
Feb 08, 2008 Walter Germann rated it really liked it
Recommended to Walter by: My wife
A very good book on international power politcs by the former Secretary of Defense and US Senator.
Rrfavreau
Jun 21, 2008 Rrfavreau rated it liked it
May 5, 2008, copyright 2006
Secratory of Defense stops a rouge chinese group fron starting a war
Bryan Bridges
Aug 24, 2013 Bryan Bridges rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Thrilling account from a man who knew all too well how the Pentagon works.
Clay Davis
Dec 06, 2012 Clay Davis rated it really liked it
Slow but interesting story about how diplomats work.
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Deborah Kohler
Deborah Kohler rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Pj Anderson
Pj Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Scott Switzer
Scott Switzer rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Laurie Martin
Laurie Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Bethanne
Bethanne marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bones of the Barbary Coast (Cree Black, #3)
  • Savage Peace: Hope and Fear in America, 1919
  • The Kill Zone (Kirk McGarvey #9)
  • Power Play (Mack Bedford, #4)
  • The Graveyard Shift
  • The Gnostic Mystery
  • The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13)
  • Apaches
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Personal Finance
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Silver Tower
  • The Right Fights Back: Playbook 2012 (POLITICO Inside Election 2012)
  • Blur: The Speed Of Change In The Connected Economy