Start by marking “Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1: This is What They Want” as Want to Read:
Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1: This is What They Want

Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1: This is What They Want (Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E. #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  2,948 ratings  ·  122 reviews
The Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort, or HATE put Nextwave together to fight Bizarre Weapons of Mass Destruction. When Nextwave discovers that HATE and Beyond are terrorist cells themselves, and that the BWMDs were intended to kill them, they are less than pleased.
Published September 13th 2006 by Marvel Comics Group (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
204th out of 1,883 books — 4,321 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
118th out of 760 books — 1,229 voters

More lists with this book...

Virginia
Dec 28, 2010 Virginia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adam Heine
OMG. This is singularly the funniest thing I've read in a very, very long time. Hilarious. Just, frakking hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing out loud and woke up my sleeping husband several times. (Poor fellow.) I may have to buy these in trade paperbacks. The art, the dialog, the premise and the absolute absurdity. I think the tag line sums this series up best: "Healing America by beating people up." Awesome. Plus, I heard about this series from Wil Wheaton. Surely, that counts for a lot. :)

ET
Brad
Aug 18, 2007 Brad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of superhero irreverence
Shelves: comics, marvel
Warren Ellis regularly has jarringly original ideas with superheroes. He's the one that turned a one-issue Justice League stories into four-issue cinematic experiences with The Authority. Planetary is the best homage-comic there is. Nextwave doesn't tread quite so nicely on superhero conventions.
Ellis calls Nextwave a "remix" book, which almost has it. He brings together several of the lamer characters in the Marvel Universe (Photon, Boom Boom, Machine Man), and has them fight a S.H.I.E.L.D. an
Sesana
Review for both volumes of Nextwave. What this is, in a nutshell, is an excuse for explosions and big fight scenes, held together by sarcasm. It's (mostly) a satire of overly action-oriented comics, while still enjoying huge fight scenes. Shallow? Sometimes. Any substantive value in plot or characters? God, no. Fun? Absolutely.
Keely
Most of the time, comics do not benefit from deep and patient consideration. The vast majority owe their popularity to a world of powerless men trapped in a work-a-day world that provides them little pride and less edification. Readers of history often fantasize about living in another age, readers of travelogues imagine impossibly pricey vacations, and fans of Romance want an 'unbound pillar of desire', which I think is a piece by Rodin.

Likewise, many comic readers have been happy for little mo
Doug
A holiday gift from Monte, we got the two volumes of this series that was put out in singles most of last year juuust in time before i went to purchase them myself.

I loved these books. They are the funniest things i have ever read in graphical form, lampooning comic cliche's, characters and scenarios. Not only funny, though, is self admittedly a straight up action monster of a book that "striving to kick you in the face via a comic book." It works best for comic junkies who can get the inside wi
Danika
I first read this years ago, when I was introduced to it by my friend Chris (who also introduced me to Halo and Usagi Yojimbo). One of the Tumblogs that I follow put up a photo of herself cosplaying Monica, and I found myself wanting to read NextWave again, especially since I'm rather more familiar with the SHIELD end of the Marvel Universe.

Still funny, still ridiculous, still a bit offensive. Stuart Immonen's art is still as fantastic as I remember. The whole thing is done as a parody/farce of
Joshua
Stumble across a glowing review of this on whatculture.com and it happened to be in my local library so I checked it out. It is clever, funny, irreverent, ludicrous, and crude, and if those are all positive adjectives for you, then you'll love it. The crudeness undercut the experience for me too much, but it's still a good book for its cleverness. It is a straight up superhero story, almost in the form of Silver Age comics, but it is even more fundamentally a parody of so much in comics, especia ...more
Hugh
Ellis writing Marvel is pretty awesome. Also, good to see the old Captain Marvel in action. I hope they bring this title back.

The only thing that bothers me about Ellis sometimes is that all his characters talk like him - an old smartass British guy. American characters using words like "trodden" or "ill" can be distracting.

Other than that, really great facekicks and explosions.
Wealhtheow
Apr 06, 2010 Wealhtheow rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: kevin
Tagline: "Saving the world by beating people up."
Hilarous send-up of superhero comics tropes. Art is vibrant and colorful, and delivers emotion and physical actions very well. I cackled out loud on pretty much every page. Definitely a must-read if you're well-read in comics--probably not quite as funny if you're not.
Kate
If this comic is ever made into a movie, I hope someone like Quentin Tarantino does it. This is a pretty mindless, fun, shot-um-up story. I just have to mention too that I love the title of the first chapter: "Nextwave: Healing America By Beating People Up." I think that's pretty funny.
Airy
"It's like Shakespeare, but with lots more punching."

Got a sense of humor? Like seeing explosions? Want to see often overlooked Marvel characters get some decent attention? Want to see Fin Fang Foom stuff an angry robot down his pants? Yeah, I know you do.
Christian Lipski
Over-the-top satire of superhero comics, using the very same characters they satirize. Captain Marvel, Machine Man, and the rest. With super-silly stuff. A fun romp!
Seizure Romero
Explosively brilliant. Or, brilliantly explosive. With punching.
Jason
The Comics Should Be Good! blog has spent 2009 covering a year of cool comic book moments — three of which, so far, have come from nextwave.I didn’t know anything about nextwave but I know amusing when I see it and this bit from issue #9 which mocks a key moment from Ultimate Avengers is amusing. So, I decided to try it out.

I’m not a Warren Ellis uber-fan. I think he’s a good writer and have enjoyed some of his runs on more traditional super hero books (his Ultimate Fantastic Four work was real
Martin
Warren Ellis obviously had a LOT of fun writing this book (maybe too much?). The irreverent spirit of Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. was mostly refreshing, however at times it seemed to me that Ellis was trying too hard. Still - I enjoyed most of the stories and the um... "threats" the team went against were imaginative. The best part was the banter between the teammates.

Art-wise, Immonen went for a style that is somewhat more stylized than his usual output and the frequent "overly-cartoony-ness"
Sinai C.
WOAH! MAJOR MISS! *Explosion in the background* [Insert lame comeback here] Sigh...yes...I read this book. Yes...Marvel actually published this thing. Good manga like X-Men Misfits gets canceled after one volume...but there is more of THIS?! How can this possibly go on!
Ok--the wrong things about this book: The characters, the humor, the everything. It wasn't funny. I saw where they were trying to put the jokes...and no...it was just bad. Fighting a monster in purple underwear? Are they five yea
Dima Yakovenko
Это просто несусветный, абсолютно неизобретательный бред, о пятерых героях, которые раскрывают целый заговор, в который втянуты бывшие начальники главной пятерки. Комикс начинает раздражать еще с первого выпуска и это назойливое чувство, бросить чтение и никогда не возвращаться к этому комиксу, исчезает только на последних, выпусках, когда уже хоть немного, совсем чуть-чуть становится интересно, чем вся эта катавасия закончится. Но финал огорчает похлеще самого комикса, ведь он бьет все рекорды ...more
Megan
I like Warren Ellis and I've heard good things about Nextwave, but it was just one of those titles I never got into. When I saw this at the library, I decided to finally pick this one up. I usually forget to add comic books to my goodreads account (maybe cus I feel like it's cheating...) but this one was so good that I had to review it.

Nextwave is a rogue group that broke off from H.A.T.E., an ostensibly anti-terrorism group, after the discovery that H.A.T.E. is actually being funded by the terr
Jace
Jul 23, 2010 Jace rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I wanted to like this book. I really did. I had heard good things about it from acquaintances. And there's been some critical buzz I suppose. But in the end I just didn't enjoy it very much.

I understand this book is supposed to be funny. It's certainly not a traditional comic. But the entire series boils down to this: the heroes blow stuff up and fight through panel after panel of goofy monsters while making snide wisecracks. Sometimes it's funny, yes. But ultimately, it just feels so inconsequ
Gavin
This book was hilarious. A complete take off on Marvel, teams such as the Avengers, and organizations such as SHIELD, as well as an over-the-top joke bad guy who's obviously Nick Fury: Dirk Anger, who is 90 years old, takes lots of drugs, smokes cigarettes and cigars, drinks whiskey and eats raw animals.

Throw in all kinds of jabs at regular Marvel, including the former Captain Marvel, and some foul mouthed characters and you've got a funny book.

This collects issues 1-6, there's a second volume t
Jeff
While I highly recommend Year One and TDKR to anyone who's seen the new Batman, it's much harder to recommend recent Avengers comics, because, well, most are written for children and neckbeards. And Marvel doesn't really have classic graphic novels, just great runs of superhero serials.

Civil War/Secret Invasion/Ultimates are fine jumping-on points for nerds who like well-drawn action stories, but they suffer from everything terrible about event/reboot comics (plotting in service of a new establi
Elise
Jun 13, 2014 Elise rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This was fun. It was like a meta-superhero comic. The situations were absurd, the scene setups were entertaining. None of the characters are likable, but really what would you expect from a team of agents that work under the acronym H.A.T.E
Federiken Masters
Dec 13, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y de la joda
Recommended to Federiken by: Autores y que estaba a mano
De lo mejorcito que leí últimamente en el sub-género de "Superhéroes medio pcicópatas encarados en joda", con Warren Ellis bastante desacartonado (aunque tampoco demasiado imaginativo) y Stuart Immonen dibujando con la mano suelta, dinámicamente, y haciendo personajes bastante expresivos (aunque le falle un poco con algunas proporciones y perspectivas). Supongo que si me hubiera hecho reír más lo iba a terminar promediando para las cuatro estrellitas, pero con las sonrisas que me sacó se queda e ...more
Kimberlee
Warren Ellis is officially my favorite comic book author. His humor manages to teach by hitting you over the head with a dead fish wielded by an enormous monster wearing purple underwear. And I only made up half of that - just guess which half! He refers to it as making the world a better place by blowing things up and pounding on people. It's absurd, hysterical, and almost touching as all get out. Not for those without a sense of humor, are easily offended, or have delicate sensibilities. If yo ...more
Mike Keskeys
Easily one of the funniest comics I've ever read, and it's in the mainstream Marvel a Universe, as evidenced by it's entries in the Marvel Encyclopedia.
Korey
For those of you that are familiar with Warren Ellis,I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is probably the funniest thing he's ever written. And if you're not familiar with him, then this ain't a bad place to start. Ellis manages to incorporate his rag tag band of misfit superheroes (most of whom we already know) into the Marvel Universe while simultaneously making fun of some of its more ridiculous elements. Remember Fin Fang Foom? So does Warren Ellis, and he's the butt of many a 'gi ...more
Heydi Smith
So I really didn't know how to take this one. It was super interesting but kind of wacky and off the wall too. Just when I was all into the serious bits the characters would do something absurd. It kind of reminds me of the Venture Bros. in its weirdness.

I think I would read #2 but I'm definitely not falling over in love with it.

I will say this - it's worth a read!
Peter
Amazing parody of the Marvel universe. Sad there are so few of them, but so happy that they exist. Laughed out loud, which is a good metric for me, several times.
Sineala
It's hilarious and awful and I love it.

Full of mockery and explosions.

A team of Marvel's B-list superheroes fight everything, including attack koalas, and make possibly every single offensive joke ever, and somehow it is absolutely great. They fight Fin Fang Foom! They fight men in pterodactyl suits! Giant robots! An expy for Nick Fury! Captain America is a jerk!

(I think this is issues #1-6. I wish it were in print. I would buy it.)
Bee
Maybe I'm not the right audience for this book. There were too many inside jokes that really required a wider knowledge of the Marvel universe. Even worse, all of the silliness reminded me of the humor of a teenager saying, "LOL I am so random!" rather than true humor based on silliness. It was shooting for Monty Python and missed. One or two parts made me smile, but these bright spots weren't enough to make up for the rest.

Also, not a fan of the art. I couldn't tell the difference between the t
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 1: The Last Iron Fist Story
  • X-Factor: Madrox - Multiple Choice
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory, Vol. 1
  • Agents of Atlas
  • Alias, Vol. 1
  • Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 1
  • Secret Six, Vol. 1: Unhinged
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 1: Sidekicks (Young Avengers, #1)
  • The Authority, Vol. 4: Transfer of Power
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 3: The Book of the Iron Fist
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...

Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E. (2 books)
  • Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)