Start by marking “Fell, Volume 1: Feral City” as Want to Read:
Fell, Volume 1: Feral City

Fell, Volume 1: Feral City (Fell Singles Issues #1-8)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  5,129 ratings  ·  211 reviews
Detective Richard Fell is transferred over the bridge from the big city to Snowtown, a feral district whose police investigations department numbers three and a half people (one detective has no legs). Dumped in this collapsing urban trashzone, Richard Fell is starting all over again. In a place where nothing seems to make any sense, Fell clings to the one thing he knows t ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Image Comics (first published September 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fell, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fell, Volume 1

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
105th out of 2,052 books — 4,599 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
64th out of 778 books — 1,331 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark Desrosiers
In one of the opening stories, we encounter a coroner eating a sandwich over this corpse, while our protagonist, Detective Fell, can barely contain his vomit. A tomato drops from the sandwich into the corpse, and coroner goes after it with his pincers:

Fell: If you retrieve that piece of tomato from where it fell and then put it in your mouth I will shoot you.
Coroner: ...I was simply going to remove it. I have to go over the bridge for organic tomato, you know.

Four panels later, the coroner pops
John Huizar
Sep 04, 2007 John Huizar rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mature comic fans
One of my favorite comics ever, collected here into a trade paperback. The comics themselves were short, only 19 pages, but extremely dense, each one telling a complete story.

The setting is a creepy suburb called Snowtown, a dark, bleak place overtaken by urban decay. Fell is a detective exiled to this place, and fights something of a losing battle against the hopelessness and pointless, horrific violence that pervade the place.

The stories themselves are dark and often gruesome, and made all th
Estelle
Oh man, this was great! I need more.
Story
I love Ben Templesmith's art. I love Warren Ellis' flawed heros, his pacing and storytelling, his use of inference. The two of them together? Oh, yes yes yes.

I like the form this comic takes: each issue is a story, compact and clean. Each resolution brings the reader a clearer picture of Richard Fell, who, like Ellis' Spider Jerusalem, cares too much.

I like the feel of Snowtown. It reminds me of Detroit but worse. Our world, but parts of it so far gone that I wonder if they foreshadow an apocal
Ikebukuro
So freaking good. Dark and deep with strong characters. One of my fav so far.
Arminzerella
Muz
Not for the faint of heart.

Warren Ellis's writing is often full of everything that lurks in the shadows and goes bump in the night. He explores the underbelly from the underbelly's point of view. That's what Snowtown is, from the perspective of detective Fell. Everyone is hiding something, even our savant Detective who is akin to TV's "The Mentalist" or "Psych" with his powers of observation, common sense. But he also has the ability to imagine the worst, and the TV characters would never find
Tony
Crime meets horror in this collection of eight stories about Detective Richard Fell -- once a high-flying investigator in the big city, now exiled across the river/bay to a rotting urban wasteland called Snowtown. Imagine Brooklyn or Queens, sitting across the water from Manhattan, or Oakland sitting across the bay from San Francisco. Now imagine them without any daylight and barely any city services, with packs of wild dogs, and rampant with psychopaths. Fell is that lonely knight walking down ...more
Ruby
Really dark and disturbing story about a detective who is transferred to working on the most awful side of town. Each case is short and intense. I wish some of them went more in depth. The artwork helped add to the feel of the comic.
Brenton Nichol
This was quite an intriguing graphic novel collection; each chapter contains a short, to-the-point, self-contained story, but each one also gives a few hints concerning the overall story-arc of the series. The main characters are likable, while flawed, which I don't always find to be the case with crime-noir. This initial volume delivers an exciting setting and a fast and rewarding pace within the small stories while also setting up some larger mysteries that will only be examined over time thro ...more
Travis
A wildly, dark and surreal cop show of a series. If David Lynch wrote and directed Law and Order.
Richard Fell may be the last sane man in a city that is slowly falling apart and he wanders the mean streets dealing with crimes both big and small. The cases he works on are all cleverly done and a mix of fascinating and disturbing.
The stories are all short and self contained, while at the same time slowly building up various sub-plots and character histories.
Anybody else really creeped out by the n
Jamil

warren's so good at what he does that it is incredibly subtle here, in these 8 nine panel 16 page short crime stories about a cop actually trying to do his job in an abandoned, blighted urban environment. you could be distracted by the recurrent ellisisms, (tough, damaged protagonists, extemely f-cked up social mores, cigarettes, heavy drinking) but (and honestly, if anything is an ellisism, this is too), there is a beating, loving heart vibrating at the center of this morass. detective fell wan
Farmieeeee
One of the first comics I actually purchased and I'm happy that it turned out to be really enjoyable. I've been a big fan of Ellis since my sister lent me Planetary, one of his most famous and loved creations and I really love Templesmith's style so getting this was a pretty easy decision.

The book is separated by chapters many different cases taken on by a Detective Fell in a town called Snowtown, all of which are self-contained and intriguing even though the chapters themselves are brief.

A big
Damián Vives
No por nada Warren Ellis es considerado uno de los grandes guionistas de los últimos años. El autor que renovó el cómic de superhéroes con The Authority y Planetary comienza el nuevo siglo decidido a revolucionar el género negro con Fell, una colección de episodios autoconclusivos que narran las desventuras de Richard Fell, un detective de homicidios de la gran manzana que es reasignado a Snowtown, una ciudad que funciona como microclima para maníacos y depravados; una ciudad que posee una lógic ...more
Paul Raud
This comic book series is truly something special! First of all Ellis has not only changed the concept of regular comics but also the concept of regular crime fiction.
When I finished reading the #1 issue, I actually wanted to hate it. It was so damn short and I couldnt get a good grip on the story. Eventually I discovered thats what makes it so great. The story is short, planned with special precision and hell its striking. Plus each issue presents a complete story, you dont have to read the pr
Rocco
Fell is a rather dark crime comic for mature audiences by writer Warren Ellis and artist Ben Templesmith. It focuses on Detective Fell who was recently transferred to Snowtown - a crime infested town where everybody is at least a little crazy. This book contains issues 1-8 of a planned 16. However, Warren Ellis had a computer failure after releasing issue 9 and lost the scripts for the remaining seven issues. There is talk of re-writing those scripts and eventually releasing them, but there hasn ...more
Federiken Masters
Feb 07, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores.
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Cosa rara. Cosa macabra. Cosa experimental. Cosa concisa. Cosa llamativa. Qué cosa, estos autores. Si algún día se dignan a continuar la serie, quizás yo me digne a escribir una reseña un poco más elaborada. Eso sí, vamos a aprovechar para quejarnos de la edición española: ¡Contratad un puto corrector, coño! Hacía rato que no veía tantas burradas, tantos errores de traducción y estilísticos en un comic relativamente serio. ¡Dios le da pan...!
Judd Karlman
Fell might just be the comic that we look back on and notice as Ellis' best shit. He isn't trying too damned hard and is just enjoying a damned good cop story in a feral fucking city.

In its monthly format, it is the comic that I look forward to the most, the one I savor for last and the one that better not be missing from my monthly pile.

Once these are collected in a nice big, pretty hard-cover, I'll pick on up for my shelf.
Lisamarie
Jul 12, 2007 Lisamarie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My mom! Oh wait, I wouldn't.
OH wow ... the chapter/issue with the ex-crackhead mom and the creepy house and the restraining order just about did me in! But there's also a real sweetness to it and it's a fresh and original cop story. I love the bartender, and really anything having to do with the bar. Nice art too.
Brian Dickerson
Just dang good. So much story packed into each self-contained issue. I hope Ellis / Templesmith pick this back up soon. I need to know about the Nixon nun.
Jessica Pitingolo
I'm an Ellis fan and for some reason, even recommended, could not sink my teeth into this one. Part way through as my mind drifted to this being just another quick update on Goodreads I thought, "a two. A solid two." Then something happened the last two chapters/issues that did something to me that I wish the previous had.
I was moved. I was touched. I felt like I was reading more than something that had the depth of a puddle of spilled beer in Idiot's Bar, I FELT something. It may be worth trac
Liam Berry
Everything about this comic is great. The artwork, the dialogue, the stories and the characters. It's unsettling, funny, intriguing and ballsy in just the right measure. Sadly after the eight collected issues here there is only one more single issue published and while we will see a further seven issues released once the writer, the artist and the publisher coordinate their cogs, there's a definite feel that you've only read half a story. Definitely recommended but don't be surprised if you're l ...more
Matthew
I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Up till now, I've only read Ellis's superhero stuff and really hadn't been all that impressed. Fell, however, seems to be a story he really wants, maybe even needs, to tell.

The basic plot is that Fell, a homicide detective, screws up somehow and gets sent from his downtown district over the bridge and into Snowtown, the worst area of the unnamed city where he works. Each chapter focuses on a single case and they range from random beatings to "fl
Gayle Francis Moffet
This is the fourth or fifth time I've read Fell. I keep rereading because there are occasionally rumors that the series is going to get started again, and I think, "Oh, I loved that series. I should read it again." And so I do.

It's possible the series will never get a restart--by which I mean Ellis and Templesmith picking up where they left off and not a complete reboot--and reading the story again, I find myself about 87% okay with that (the other 13% purely selfish and wanting more of everythi
Michael
Wow...Just wow. How can a comic depicting such a depressing rotted out hellhole(Snowtown) have such an optimistic subtext. In Fell, we follow the eponymous Richard Fell, a detective from across the bridge who is transferred into Snowtown from a much larger city whose presence is hinted at though not elaborated upon. Fell was apparently transfered across the bridge for some kind of mistake he made while employed across the bridge. But despite being exiled in Snowtown(seriously, in several flashba ...more
Anna
"Dumped in the collapsing urban trashzone called Snowtown, Detective Richard Fell is starting all over again. In a place where nothing seems to make sense, Fell clings to the one thing I knows to be true... Everybody is hiding something. Even Him."

I am fairly new to the world of Graphic Novel reading, so bare with me on this. Warren Ellis has created a delightfully dark & witty story arc with the feral city series. The crimes are ummm imaginative and grissly, with some delightful dialogues (
Susanne
Dec 17, 2008 Susanne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Susanne by: the internets
Shelves: graphic-novels
And thus Mr Ellis is redeemed, at least in this humble reader's opinion. (I didn't like Crooked Little Vein.) This was my first graphic novel by the man, and I will buying my local comic shop bare of anything else in this series. Feral City lives up to its name triumphantly. Crime abounds in Snowtown, shady characters inhabit the scenes, and the panels exude a darkness and a grittyness that make you glad you're not there.

(It's certainly one of the *darkest* books I've ever read - there isn't muc
Irena
*to be updated; someone's really bad librarianship resulted in me believing volume 1 was #1-4 and volume 2 was #5-8, rather than #1-8 being vol. 1 and #9 being the unfinished vol. 2*

My first reaction was hell no!

Whoever encountered Transmetropolitan first, of all Ellis' works, will be confused or disappointed like I was with his other works. Nothing beats Transmetropolitan, lower your expectations.

Freak Angels was ok, some good concepts, good art, teenies might love it. This..gave me a rush of
Kayleigh
Snowtown is the kind of town you hope could never exist. Only a bridge separates it from a city we'd probably all recognise but Snowtown seems to be from another time, or another world. Broken by rampant violence, crime and crippling poverty, Snowtown is empty of life, colour or hope and the vulnerable town people have reverted back to superstitions and magic for protection from the crime around them ("If Snowtown knows who you are, it won't come and get you")Detective Fell is new to Snowtown fr ...more
R. Smith
This is the first Graphic Novel that ever captured my attention. I never looked down on them, or considered them "not real books," but I never went out of my way to do more than glance at a cover now and then. I discovered Fell while flipping through the Graphic Novel/Comics bins of a used bookstore, because a friend of mine was a big fan, I knew his tastes in general & wanted to find him something new to get obsessed with. Anyhow, when I flipped to Fell, something about the cover made me pa ...more
  • Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Volume 1: Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer
  • Casanova, Vol. 1: Luxuria
  • Scalped, Vol. 6: The Gnawing
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low
  • Northlanders, Vol. 1: Sven the Returned
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 3: Fact v. Fiction  (Ex Machina, #3)
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...

Fell Singles Issues (3 books)
  • Fell
  • Fell vol. 2
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)

“Cos a cop asking a guy for a discount on his crack, that's screwed up.
Sign of the goddamn apocalypse is what it is.”
0 likes