Start by marking “Welcome to Paradise” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Paradise

Welcome to Paradise

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Strait of Gibraltar, the 10-mile-wide waterway separating Europe and Africa, is where, at night, immigrant traffickers pit themselves against two sets of coast guards. The passengers include people such as Kacem, an escapee from the civil war in Algeria; Nuara, with her unborn child, whose husband hasn't been in touch for months since moving to France; and Aziz, the yo ...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Granta UK (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Paradise

Eamonn
Mahi Binebine is the first Moroccan writer I have read and I really liked this for the important subject matter it addresses.
The desperations and aspirations are finely portrayed, in a situation that has become an industry unto itself across Fortress Europe. The yearnings for European utopia are particularly touching as a reader from a Europe that is looking increasingly dystopian and unwelcoming of anyone not able to offer blood and profit.
I hope to read Mahi Binebine's other translated novel s
Maura
Best of the Morocco fiction I've read to date. The story is engaging while remaining just to the good side of being overly dramatic. The stories of corruption and various ways people suffer in North Africa are sad but probable.
Marina
Great character development but nothing else really
Lil
Impressive and harrowing. The writing (or should I say the translation) is at many times poetic and poignant, reaching its greatest heights when it describes the hopes of this group of people with their sights set on their new lives in France. Just putting that level of desperation into words for a group that's learned to remain silent and invisible is remarkable in itself; to do it in a way that feels so real, that doesn't have a hint of condescension but that surprises you repeatedly, is a rea ...more
Stephanie
I won this book on a goodreads.com giveaway. I am not even sure how to write a review simply because I found the book to be quite bland. I was pretty shocked by one particular section where the main character spoke about his teacher having relations with him. I was not expecting that part. The characters themselves did have interesting backgrounds but the story could have been told better.
Danee .
harkens to the stranger in its abstraction (and morrocan beach element) but also all those heartbreaking stories of people trying to get accross the rio grande and sonoran desert.
Linjea
Interessant thema, slecht geschreven en saai.
Kaoutar Chahbane
Kaoutar Chahbane marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Renan Rogero
Renan Rogero marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
JJ Kitchenette
JJ Kitchenette marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Latifa OUMOUZOUNE
Latifa OUMOUZOUNE marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Laura Kasinof
Laura Kasinof marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Amine
Amine is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Mikazuki Apostasa
Mikazuki Apostasa marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Dounia Hr
Dounia Hr marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
  • The Classical Language of Architecture
  • The Sickness
  • La Boutique Obscure: 124 Dreams
  • A Dying Colonialism
  • Masters of the Dew (Caribbean Writers Series)
  • You Are Not Like Other Mothers
  • Un roman russe
  • Haiti Noir
  • Here Comes Mrs. Kugelman: A Novel
  • L'Accident
  • Beside the Sea
  • Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was
  • Une forme de vie
Horses of God Le sommeil de l'esclave Le Seigneur vous le rendra Pollens L'ombre du poête