Start by marking “Beloved Savage” as Want to Read:
Beloved Savage

Beloved Savage

Caught between two worlds, Susannah Jacobs must make a choice. Her husband will take her back out of duty, but the Algonquin warrior, who has claimed her as his woman, will cross the rivers and mountains to find her. Nothing will prevent Tonnewa from coming for her. Nothing will prevent Susannah from returning to him.

Married at fifteen to a man twice her age, Susannah has
Published January 1st 1998 by Zebra Books (first published September 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Beloved Savage, please sign up.

Sönïa Dhillion Yeah I noticed that when I checked that some don't charge delivery just the payment of the book. But then the delivery time was annoying it was not 5…moreYeah I noticed that when I checked that some don't charge delivery just the payment of the book. But then the delivery time was annoying it was not 5 or 7 working days more like 25th December or 20th January. Maybe I'll buy it when it's not so fresh on my mind . I ended up finding a book when I was looking for this one it's called Savage beloved.(less)
Delta It doesn't appear to be available in eBook, per a search of Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Jill

"You are my soul," he said. "I have seen its shape, and it is you. You have walked in my heart, and I hear the echo of your footsteps there."

In the Pennsylvania wilderness of 1723, twenty-five year-old Susannah has already been married for ten years to the dreary and dogmatic German, Hans Jacobs. Having suffered a number of miscarriages and lost a baby son, she is pregnant again.

When William Penn negotiated a treaty with the Native Americans, the white settlers were not to pass over the
MelissaB
Nov 17, 2009 MelissaB rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Native American/Colonial American romance fans
Recommended to MelissaB by: Sunset from Amazon
Beloved Savage was a very pleasant surprise! The story was very well written and the author made the central Pennsylvanian wilderness setting come alive.

Susannah Jacobs lives on the Pennsylvania frontier near the Susquehanna River in the early 1720's. She has been married to Hans for 10 years since her parents and sisters died of a fever when she was 15. Hans is a cold dour man who works hard and only sees Susannah as someone to keep his house, care for his son from a previous marriage and bear
Linda
BELOVED SAVAGE is one of those rare books that took a period of history, added some interesting characters and soared. The beginning started out slow; the story explored Susannah's adolescence. She lived during the early 1700's in Pennsylvania. She came from a loving family who were trying to make a go homesteading some property but danger was in the air.

Flash forward and she has now been married for some years to a stern German farmer with a stepson. She tried to be a good wife but nothing she
Iliada
Mar 11, 2015 Iliada rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Iliada by: Jill

Before talking about the book, I would like to address an issue that has troubled me since forever. Readers of romance have always been looked down on for their reading choices. I don't know what it is that makes us so different. If I say I read mysteries, or fantasy or even those social dramas, people will say bravo and that's it. But if I say I am a reader of romance people will ask me why and how I can tolerate this silly stuff. I think there are good romances and bad romances and th
Lyuda
Jul 22, 2016 Lyuda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lyuda by: Jill, Linda, and Luli
Wow, what a beautiful story!

Let me first say this: If there were a list titled "Don’t judge a book by its cover”, this one would be a top contender. Besides its awful cover and very deceptive description on the back, it also has what I consider three-strikes working against its popularity:

1. It's published 26 years ago.
2. The author only wrote this one book.
3. It’s not available in e-format.

What a shame! This beautifully written story is definitely on par with Ellen O'Connell's Dancing on Coals
Heather *live on coffee & flowers*
This was a surprisingly sweet little romance, and one I wouldn't have picked up if I'd found it in a store because the back blurb was so, so awful. All it talked about was claiming and sky-colored eyes and creamy curves and full pink lips. UGH. The Goodreads one is so much better.

One of the main things I liked about this book was the slow burn romance. The hero didn't regard the heroine as a collection of attractive parts, but rather as a human. He treated her fairly and wanted everyone else to
Melissa
Jul 31, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a hidden gem of a book. Really hidden, since it came out 26 years ago, was written by an author who apparently never published anything else, and is now out of print with no e-book version available. Do an Alibris search and get yourself a used 99-cent paperback, though, because despite its horrible title and cover blurb, this is one of the best historical romances I've read this year.

(view spoiler)
Pam
May 19, 2011 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! I didn't want it to end.

Susannah is married (newly pregnant) to a very stern dour Quaker named, Hans Jacobs who has an 11 yrs old son. When his wife died and left him with a very young son, and Susannah's whole family died, they were both alone. So their Rev. of the community decided to put Susannah (15 yrs old) and Hans (28 yrs old) together in marriage. They have been married for 10 yrs when the story begins. Their marriage is not a loving marriage.

One day...a few Indians de
Emmy
Jan 10, 2013 Emmy rated it really liked it
Despite the utterly ridiculous title and cover (compliments of the early 90's), I would not consider this book a bodice-ripper. It is really a touching love story about a woman torn between two worlds.

From the first Tonnewa is a gentle and compassionate man who sees a woman in trouble and wants to help. Despite hating the white man because of what they did to his wife and mother, when he sees Susannah in a similar situation to theirs, he cannot stand the idea of any person suffering such a fate
Luli
May 31, 2015 Luli rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Luli by: Jill and Linda
Que historia más bonita.

No deberías hacer caso a la portada.
Ni tampoco leer la contraportada.

Si te gustan los romances ambientados en la época de la colonización americana, léela.
Si te gustan los romances con una gran carga histórica, léela.
Si te gustan los romances realistas, complicados y lentos, léela.
Y si aún no estás convencida/o, echa un vistazo a estas dos increíbles reseñas Jills y Lindas y léela.

Gracias Linda por este precioso regalo. :)

What a beautiful story.

Dont mind the cover.
Dont pa
Alycia
Ignore the cover and the blurb on the back!

This isn't that kind of book. It's NOT a book filled with sex. In fact, there is very little of that seeing as how the main girl, Susannah, is pregnant with another man's child, scared, and with a good man who wouldn't force himself on her (the cover is very misleading) and who acts as her protector even before he really knows her (because he is a decent human being).

Instead, this book is a very good historical fiction about colonial America pushing we
Sharon
Pennsylvania 1712

Solemn-eyed 14 year old Susannah, the serious one, the eldest daughter weighted with responsibility, her mother's helper, had no time to be frivolous or care-free as her 3 younger sisters...

2 years later, fever swept the land and took her parents and sisters. It was then the town's minister arranged that she marry the young German widower, Hans Jacobs and care for his little son.

Hans Jacobs, a cold man, a man she could never please although she never gave up hope in her current
Cristina
Feb 08, 2013 Cristina rated it really liked it
4,5 stars
Sönïa Dhillion
This book is refreshing or should I say Tonnewa refreshing. The way he behaved, his personality isn't that what most folk look in a partner. Yet if you were thinking as a orthodox or stereotyping, prejudice person. Then you would laugh and think he's a Indian . He would behave like barbaric heathen. Not caring, understanding, loyal, loving , passionate, wise and with a sense of humour.

But Tonnewa had all of those qualities. I liked how Tonnewa made Suzanne grow independent and flourish into her
Mary23nm
Very enjoyable read. I'm not sure about it being historically accurate, but it was nice that it didn't get too gritty and realistic. The hero was unlike most in the Native American books that I have read, in that he was strong but caring.
Rachel the Book Harlot
Originally Read: Dec. 2011
Reread: Nov. 29, 2012
Recreational Reader
Oct 15, 2012 Recreational Reader rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western-romance
This story begins slowly but it is a journey worth taking and by the end I was sorry it was over. A great example of how a romance story does not require graphic sex scenes to communicate the love between two people.
ROMANTIC HISTORICAL REVIEW BLOG
Review Rating: 4.5 Stars

Review by: Jill

Link to Review: http://romantichistoricallovers.wordp...
Ama
Ama rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Simone Z. Endrich
Simone Z. Endrich rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Debbie Hayward
Debbie Hayward rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2014
Debbie McMaster
Debbie McMaster rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2017
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Reading 101
Reading 101 rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2015
BookwormWithGoggles
BookwormWithGoggles rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Christine Donaruma
Christine Donaruma rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Anna0787
Anna0787 rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Cheyenne Song
  • Lakota Love Song
  • Prairie Embrace
  • Dancing on Coals
  • A Love Beyond Time
  • Comanche Magic (Comanche, #4)
  • Night Flame
  • Savage Autumn
  • Too Tough to Tame (Tough Man, #1)
  • Gray Hawk's Lady
  • Red Bird's Song
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • Night in Eden
  • Tallchief
  • Savage Ecstasy (Gray Eagle, #1)
A native Vermonter, Sandra Bishop loves the outdoors and history with equal passion. She can't pass up a historical site or a museum and believes all roads lead somewhere interesting. She devours books and haunts libraries when she isn't traveling.

With her Air Force husband, she spent eighteen years traveling and "setting up camp" in such diverse places as Massachusetts, Florida, Northern Californ
More about Sandra Bishop...