Start by marking “Beloved Savage” as Want to Read:
Beloved Savage

Beloved Savage

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Caught between two worlds, Susannah Jacobs must make a choice. Her husband will take her back out of duty, but the Algonquin warrior, who has claimed her as his woman, will cross the rivers and mountains to find her. Nothing will prevent Tonnewa from coming for her. Nothing will prevent Susannah from returning to him.

Married at fifteen to a man twice her age, Susannah has
Published January 1st 1998 by Zebra Books (first published September 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Beloved Savage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beloved Savage

Comanche Moon by Catherine AndersonDancing on Coals by Ellen O'ConnellReclaim My Heart by Donna FasanoComanche Heart by Catherine AndersonSavage Ecstasy by Janelle Taylor
Best Native American Romance
80th out of 244 books — 282 voters
Airs Above the Ground by Mary StewartCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShatter Me by Tahereh MafiBeloved Savage by Sandra BishopAngélique by Anne Golon
The book cover lies
4th out of 42 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill

"You are my soul," he said. "I have seen its shape, and it is you. You have walked in my heart, and I hear the echo of your footsteps there."

In the Pennsylvania wilderness of 1723, twenty-five year-old Susannah has already been married for ten years to the dreary and dogmatic German, Hans Jacobs. Having suffered a number of miscarriages and lost a baby son, she is pregnant again.

description

When William Penn negotiated a treaty with the Native Americans, the white settlers were not to pass over the
MelissaB
Mar 23, 2011 MelissaB rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Native American/Colonial American romance fans
Recommended to MelissaB by: Sunset from Amazon
Beloved Savage was a very pleasant surprise! The story was very well written and the author made the central Pennsylvanian wilderness setting come alive.

Susannah Jacobs lives on the Pennsylvania frontier near the Susquehanna River in the early 1720's. She has been married to Hans for 10 years since her parents and sisters died of a fever when she was 15. Hans is a cold dour man who works hard and only sees Susannah as someone to keep his house, care for his son from a previous marriage and bear
Iliada

Before talking about the book, I would like to address an issue that has troubled me since forever. Readers of romance have always been looked down on for their reading choices. I don't know what it is that makes us so different. If I say I read mysteries, or fantasy or even those social dramas, people will say bravo and that's it. But if I say I am a reader of romance people will ask me why and how I can tolerate this silly stuff. I think there are good romances and bad romances and th
Pam
I LOVED this book! I didn't want it to end.

Susannah is married (newly pregnant) to a very stern dour Quaker named, Hans Jacobs who has an 11 yrs old son. When his wife died and left him with a very young son, and Susannah's whole family died, they were both alone. So their Rev. of the community decided to put Susannah (15 yrs old) and Hans (28 yrs old) together in marriage. They have been married for 10 yrs when the story begins. Their marriage is not a loving marriage.

One day...a few Indians de
Linda
BELOVED SAVAGE is one of those rare books that takes a period of history, adds some interesting characters and soars. Starting out somewhat slow, the story explores the adolescence of Susannah. She lives during the early 1700's in Pennsylvania. She comes from a loving family who are trying to make a go homesteading some property but danger is in the air.

Flash forward and she has now been married for some years to a stern German farmer with a stepson. She tries to be a good wife but nothing she e
Heather *Thermonuclear Bomb of Death*
This was a surprisingly sweet little romance, and one I wouldn't have picked up if I'd found it in a store because the back blurb was so, so awful. All it talked about was claiming and sky-colored eyes and creamy curves and full pink lips. UGH. The Goodreads one is so much better.

One of the main things I liked about this book was the slow burn romance. The hero didn't regard the heroine as a collection of attractive parts, but rather as a human. He treated her fairly and wanted everyone else to
Emmy
Despite the utterly ridiculous title and cover (compliments of the early 90's), I would not consider this book a bodice-ripper. It is really a touching love story about a woman torn between two worlds.

From the first Tonnewa is a gentle and compassionate man who sees a woman in trouble and wants to help. Despite hating the white man because of what they did to his wife and mother, when he sees Susannah in a similar situation to theirs, he cannot stand the idea of any person suffering such a fate
Sharon
Pennsylvania 1712

Solemn-eyed 14 year old Susannah, the serious one, the eldest daughter weighted with responsibility, her mother's helper, had no time to be frivolous or care-free as her 3 younger sisters...

2 years later, fever swept the land and took her parents and sisters. It was then the town's minister arranged that she marry the young German widower, Hans Jacobs and care for his little son.

Hans Jacobs, a cold man, a man she could never please although she never gave up hope in her current
Alycia
Ignore the cover and the blurb on the back!

This isn't that kind of book. It's NOT a book filled with sex. In fact, there is very little of that seeing as how the main girl, Susannah, is pregnant with another man's child, scared, and with a good man who wouldn't force himself on her (the cover is very misleading) and who acts as her protector even before he really knows her (because he is a decent human being).

Instead, this book is a very good historical fiction about colonial America pushing we
Dixie
Based on the cover, you'd expect a mindless bodice ripper. This book really needs a new cover! Really enjoyed.
Rachel the Book Harlot
Originally Read: Dec. 2011
Reread: Nov. 29, 2012
Recreational Reader
This story begins slowly but it is a journey worth taking and by the end I was sorry it was over. A great example of how a romance story does not require graphic sex scenes to communicate the love between two people.
Carrol Jane
Carrol Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Magda
Magda marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
SF
SF marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Karen Bullock
Karen Bullock marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Marie Antoine
Marie Antoine marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Diana Cage
Diana Cage marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Sammy
Sammy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Storm Wolfsong
Storm Wolfsong marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Lizzie b
Lizzie b marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Aks Zahra
Aks Zahra marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
  • Cheyenne Song
  • Dancing on Coals
  • Lakota Love Song
  • A Love Beyond Time
  • Comanche Magic (Comanche, #4)
  • Savage Autumn
  • Night Flame
  • Sweet Prairie Passion (Savage Destiny, #1)
  • Night in Eden
  • Red Bird's Song
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • Savage Ecstasy (Gray Eagle, #1)
A native Vermonter, Sandra Bishop loves the outdoors and history with equal passion. She can't pass up a historical site or a museum and believes all roads lead somewhere interesting. She devours books and haunts libraries when she isn't traveling.

With her Air Force husband, she spent eighteen years traveling and "setting up camp" in such diverse places as Massachusetts, Florida, Northern Californ
More about Sandra Bishop...