Start by marking “Counter Intelligence: Where to Eat in the Real Los Angeles” as Want to Read:
Counter Intelligence: Where to Eat in the Real Los Angeles

Counter Intelligence: Where to Eat in the Real Los Angeles

Jonathan Gold has eaten it all. Counter Intelligence collects over 200 of Gold's best restaurant discoveries--from inexpensive lunch counters you won't find on your own to the perfect undiscovered dish at a beaten-path establishment. He reveals the hidden kitchens where Los Angeles' ethnic communities feed their own, including the best of cuisine from Argentina, Armenia, B ...more
Published December 1st 2000 by L.A. Weekly Books

To ask other readers questions about Counter Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counter Intelligence

Jul 19, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Say 'garlicky' again. Say 'garlicky' again, I dare you, I double dare you, say 'garlicky' one more time.
Adam Siegel
Sep 19, 2007 Adam Siegel rated it it was amazing
If you live in Los Angeles, this book is a must. If have a friend who is moving to Los Angeles, this book is a gift that they will continually thank you for. If you just like food writing, you cant beat Mr Gold.

After all, they did give him, a guy who reviews hot dog stands, a Pulitzer.

In LA, if youre not careful, you'll end up going to the same places every night. Your car is your temple and with the AC on and your music turned up, its easy to get lost in your own little world. LA is not going
May 05, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The city of Los Angeles
Best food book ever.
Vicky Griffith
Oct 09, 2016 Vicky Griffith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after watching and living the documentary City of Gold. My copy is bookmarked with great places to eat the next time I'm in LA.
Jul 29, 2007 Angela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: foodies, LA peeps, visitors
Shelves: food
Gold's writing can be simultaneously extraordinarily stimulating (think Pavlov's dog and literal salivation) and predictably formulaic. His reviews generally start off with a witty history of a restaurant, maybe interspresed with an anecdote or two, and then he puts food-related commentary in the middle (get this, avoid this, et cetera). Nearly always he finishes up with the "maybe you'll be tempted by the (fill in the blank); maybe you'll want to try the (what have you); but the real reason you ...more
May 01, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing
I was never a fan of LA. in the late 90's my job took me there a dozen times, not including many layovers at LAX.

I heard about him in TIME's review of a biographical movie. the reviewer himself was incredulous about a move of a food critic. But this food critic happens to be a Pulitzer Prize winner.

I've been to a few of the countries about whose cuisine Gold writes. I definitely have barely scratched the culinary surface compared to how deep Gold dives into the range of dishes reviewed.

I have bu
Nov 18, 2009 Sawy-o marked it as to-read
I really want to check out this book after reading the New Yorker article about Jonathan Gold! He travels around LA looking for all sorts of food, and is way more hardcore than your average food writer or food network talking head. He is interested in what regions within countries are represented in different parts of LA and monitors it through food.
Craig Werner
Aug 27, 2011 Craig Werner rated it really liked it
Shelves: miscellaneous, food
More a guide to multicultural Los Angeles than a compilation of restaurant reviews, but it's really cool either way. Gold sets out to explore the hidden gems of LA cuisine from Uzbeki pilaf to taquerias from all 31 Mexican states. He's funny, adventurous, entertaining. This is the first book that's ever made me half-seriously wish I could spend some time in Babylon....
Nov 25, 2008 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Gold is the Jimi Hendrix of the food reporting world.

Though he may be obsessed with offal and off-the-beaten-track wonders of the LA dining scene, the man has a delicious perspective on what it is to be a diner in such a culturally diverse city.
Aug 22, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This isn't really a book you "read". I flipped through. Information is mostly out of date due to the book's age.
Andrew Lee
Andrew Lee rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2012
Taylor rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2010
Julia rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2008
Raymond rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2009
Allison rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2011
"Greg Adkins"
"Greg Adkins" rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Marisa Gallagher
Marisa Gallagher rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Kristin Pederson
Kristin Pederson rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Anna rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Lburanas rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2008
Wampus rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Eric Mills
Eric Mills rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Shanlie rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Meguchan rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2009
laurel rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2012
Ben rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Anna rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2007
Jack Loh
Jack Loh rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Marcella rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Romy rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015