The Vegetables We Eat

The Vegetables We Eat

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Who knew there were so many different kinds of vegetables? From glossy red peppers to lush, leafy greens to plump orange pumpkins, vegetables are explored in depth in this fascinating picture book that clearly explains the many vegetable varieties, how they are grown, and why they are so good for us to eat.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 1/1/2008 Pages: 3...more
School, 32 pages
Published April 15th 2007 by Holiday House (first published 2007)

The Lorax by Dr. SeussThat's Why We Don't Eat Animals by Ruby RothHerb, the Vegetarian Dragon by Jules  BassHubert the Pudge by Henrik DrescherOur Farm by Maya Gottfried
Vegetarian & Vegan Friendly Books for Kids
78th out of 87 books — 38 voters
The Fruit & Veggie ABC Book by Mary    LeeThe Unpopular Pea by Elle ValentineSmelly Ghost by Isabel AthertonNight of the Veggie Monster by George McClementsI Like Vegetables by Lorena Siminovich
Let's Eat Veggies
13th out of 24 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Oh, I wanted to love this book. Before I started I even had people in mind to recommend it. It turns out I’m not sending official recommendations to anyone.

The good: The illustrations are wonderful. They do make the various vegetables look wonderful. I like that many show a family all preparing vegetables, and then growing/harvesting vegetables. There is some interesting information about various types of vegetables and some about growing them too.

The bad: It’s really hard to read this book. I t...more
Geneva Roberts
When I saw the cover of this book I was excited to read it but have to say I was somewhat disappointed. While there is a lot of information about vegetables and how they grow , there maybe just a little TOO much information for young children leaving them feeling overwhelmed. The illustrations are great, I did love that about the book and the information was factual. The book tells about the various types of vegetables we eat and that they are good for us and give our bodies vitamins and fuel, a...more
Daniel
Title: Vegetables We Eat
Author: Gail Gibbons
Publisher: Holiday House, Inc., 32 pp, 2007
Audience: Children, ages 8 to 12
Format: Juvenile nonfiction (my choice)

Description:
Gail Gibbons uses her signature combination of informative text with color illustrations and diagrams to provide detailed information about a variety of different vegetables we eat.

Personal Review:
This book does a great job of explaining why vegetables are important and how they are nutritious and help build strong bodies. It...more
Amy
Like much of Gibbon's other nonfiction for children, The Vegetables We Eat is a solid and straightforward source of information about vegetables. It kept the attention of both my three-year-old and five-year-old, by being detailed enough without overwhelming young children with obscure facts and dense text. I learned from it, too. I never before knew that we classify vegetables into eight groups: leaf, bulb, flower bud, root, tuber, stem, fruit, and seed. It was fun to discuss the vegetables our...more
Dawn Draper
Did you know there are 8 different groups of vegetables? I didn't either until I read, The Vegetables We Eat, by Gail Gibbons. This eye catching book goes into great detail about each of the 8 groups of vegetables by describing how each vegetable fits into it's group, what some of the vegetables are in the group and which part of the vegetable we eat. The book then goes onto explain the farming of vegetables, how they get to local stores and other places we can buy them.
I think children could...more
Aimee
This book provides a fun way for students to learn where vegetables come from. There are many types of vegetables, and this book describes ways to use them.

In teaching about the different food groups students will be interested in finding out more about vegetables. This book provides information in a way that is easy for students to grasp. The vocabulary in this book will inform students about if they are eating a root, bulb, leaf, stem or seed. A long debate is whether or not tomatoes are even...more
Sarah Clark
Reading this book is like eating the vegetables you don't really like but know are good for you. Informative, but not particularly imaginative. Not entirely sure who this would appeal to.
Megan Brooks
This book is about vegetable and farming techniques. I will admit that the farming practies are not the strongest but teach children the basics. This book can be used a mini-lesson on vegetables.
Peacegal
This book is an absolute joy, just bursting with vibrant illustrations. Adults are even likely to learn something. The author presents the different types of veggies (which are classified by the edible part of the plant), while frequently reminding readers how fun it is to choose vegetables and how delicious they are. I love vegetables and hopefully this will inspire some youngsters (and their parents!) to try some new ones.
Jennifer Amichia
My students are currently learning the difference between "How To" and "All About" books and Gail Gibbons does a greta job in helping us with that. This book informed all of us about the different types of vegetables we eat and how they are beneficial. I used this text to help my students reflect on non-fiction text features (i.e. picture glossary, labels, headings, etc). Great read and good text-to-self connections!
Jennesy
This is great book for a unit on consumer goods. It answers the question: how do vegetables grow? This book gives different types of vegetables and what kinds of foods you can make with those vegetables. The book can also be used as a reference, or resource, for research on a group project. The Vegetables We Eat is a great book to fall back on for a quick lesson plan or unit.
Jen
nice artwork, fun detail about vegetables. I will check this back out once we start going to the farmers market. I considered giving the book 4 stars because of a whole page dedicated to soy, however, it did include plastic and other uses so I let the soymilk and tofu slide, it was not necessarily emphasized as being better than meat or something crazy of the sort!
Krista
I thought this book shared a lot of great information in a cute book, but it would be too much for a read aloud with the students. There is just SO MUCH information on each page that I think if it was used for a read aloud, the students would get lost or loose interest. If there is a lesson specifically for vegetables, this would be thee perfect book!
Ashley Correll
This nonfiction book is about how vegetables are grown and make it to your table. Bright illustrations depict different types of vegetables, such as leaf, root, bulb, flower bud and fruit vegetables. Illustrations include families from around the world eating vegetables.
Melissa Sommer
This book describes in detail all the important vegetables we need to eat. I loved the illustrations and details the author used. It was very descriptive and creative. The author does a great job of having fun while telling children how important vegetables are.
Rebecca
Gobs of kid friendly information about vegetables, their classifications and how they grow. The last sentence says it all though, that we should always eat our vegetables because they're good for us.
Katherine
Dec 19, 2008 Katherine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodie kids
I want to eat this book! Unfortunately, Samuel lost interest after the first couple pages. It's really more my kind of thing than his. Joey really wants to read it, though, so we'll see how that goes.
Michelle White
This book would be good for a unit on vegetables or gardening. I would have to search for this because Professor Klemen's wife brought it to M310 so I don't know where she got it.
Liza Gilbert
This is an excellent introduction to vegetables, breaking them down into tubers, leafy, "fruit" vegetables, and more. Gibbons' art is perfect. A must for every public library.
Sally
Lovely illustrations. I picked and chose what to read from the text. And a heavy emphasis on soybeans? Did the soybean lobby put this book out?
Heather
42 months - Who knew there were so many different types of vegetables. This is a simple book but has some good learning.
CFAITC
Enjoy a wealth of information about a variety of vegetables, from how they are planted to how they get to stores.
Jackson
I would have a better variety of vegetables, though the author may have been wanting to go for familiarity.
Jessica Hancock
I love the illustrations in this book. This would be fun to use in the classroom during a science unit.
Lindsey
Great illustrations and full of facts to share with younger readers!
Constance
Fruit vegetables! I love it.
PWRL
Jun 05, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • That's Why We Don't Eat Animals: A Book About Vegans, Vegetarians, and All Living Things
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
  • Ruby's Wish
  • Max's ABC
  • Lunch
  • Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11
From Seed to Plant The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree The Moon Book The Pumpkin Book Apples