Start by marking “The Vegetables We Eat” as Want to Read:
The Vegetables We Eat

The Vegetables We Eat

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Who knew there were so many different kinds of vegetables? From glossy red peppers to lush, leafy greens to plump orange pumpkins, vegetables are explored in depth in this fascinating picture book that clearly explains the many vegetable varieties, how they are grown, and why they are so good for us to eat.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 1/1/2008 Pages: 3
School, 32 pages
Published April 15th 2007 by Holiday House (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Vegetables We Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegetables We Eat

That's Why We Don't Eat Animals by Ruby RothThe Lorax by Dr. SeussHerb, the Vegetarian Dragon by Jules  BassHubert the Pudge by Henrik DrescherVegan Is Love by Ruby Roth
Vegetarian & Vegan Friendly Books for Kids
32nd out of 91 books — 46 voters
The Fruit & Veggie ABC Book by Mary    LeeThe History of Veggies by Mary    LeeEating the Alphabet by Lois EhlertHeirloom by S.  SmithVeggies Have Feelings Too by Spanish Missy
Let's Eat Veggies
18th out of 28 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Oh, I wanted to love this book. Before I started I even had people in mind to recommend it. It turns out I’m not sending official recommendations to anyone.

The good: The illustrations are wonderful. They do make the various vegetables look wonderful. I like that many show a family all preparing vegetables, and then growing/harvesting vegetables. There is some interesting information about various types of vegetables and some about growing them too.

The bad: It’s really hard to read this book. I t
Travis Kesinger
Personal Reaction:
This book does an excellent job at explaining what each vegetable is, why they are important, and the role they play in helping us to build strong bodies. The illustrations of this book are extremely helpful in understanding the subject matter. They bring this topic to life and help to engage students while remaining very educational. I enjoyed the illustrations, but overall the book seemed to be a lot of information for a student to take in at once. It could aid in teaching s
Geneva Roberts
When I saw the cover of this book I was excited to read it but have to say I was somewhat disappointed. While there is a lot of information about vegetables and how they grow , there maybe just a little TOO much information for young children leaving them feeling overwhelmed. The illustrations are great, I did love that about the book and the information was factual. The book tells about the various types of vegetables we eat and that they are good for us and give our bodies vitamins and fuel, a ...more
Shellie Hubbard
Gail Gibbons is a great author of non-fiction children's books. This is just one of her many books that provide information to children on a vast variety of topics from animals to food to seasons. This story in particular focuses on the vegetables we eat, what they are, why we should eat them, and how they are grown. I chose this book because I love my veggies, but really any of her books would be phenomenal to have on your book shelf as a teacher.

As a future teacher I would use these books in
Mary Ann
Families will appreciate this clear, accessible introduction. “Botanists group the different kinds of vegetables according to the part of the vegetable that is eaten.” Colorful watercolors show all sorts of vegetables, giving a children a sense of both the amazing variety of veggies and how they are grown.
Carmen Nibali
“The Vegetables We Eat” is a fun colorful non-fiction book about vegetables. This book has information about all kind of vegetables and how they grow. This is a fun book to introduce healthy eating habits to children and why vegetables are so special for our bodies. The pages are full of fun facts and colorful vegetables. I give this book four stars for the educational information, teaching healthy eating habits, and ease to read to children. This book is intended for children ages five and up. ...more
Title: Vegetables We Eat
Author: Gail Gibbons
Publisher: Holiday House, Inc., 32 pp, 2007
Audience: Children, ages 8 to 12
Format: Juvenile nonfiction (my choice)

Gail Gibbons uses her signature combination of informative text with color illustrations and diagrams to provide detailed information about a variety of different vegetables we eat.

Personal Review:
This book does a great job of explaining why vegetables are important and how they are nutritious and help build strong bodies. It
Kelsea Breedlove
The Vegetable We Eat uses bright color, vibrant illustrations and interesting facts to engage young readers in healthy eating habits. This stories goal is to help readers find the importance and even fun in eating healthy. I would use this book to help my students understand the importance of learning how to eat healthy and how healthy habits started young carry on to a healthier life. I would have my students list healthy food they eat how it makes them feel when they eat them.
Maddison Askew
This book explains the different veggies and what each one does for the body. This would be a great book to read to a class when talking about nutrition. The children can draw a plate and create their own healthy mean by looking through the book and seeing what veggies they liked best.
Like much of Gibbon's other nonfiction for children, The Vegetables We Eat is a solid and straightforward source of information about vegetables. It kept the attention of both my three-year-old and five-year-old, by being detailed enough without overwhelming young children with obscure facts and dense text. I learned from it, too. I never before knew that we classify vegetables into eight groups: leaf, bulb, flower bud, root, tuber, stem, fruit, and seed. It was fun to discuss the vegetables our ...more
Kari Thompson
This book is a great one to use during a unit on health and nutrition. It talks about how various vegetables are grown and why they are good for you!!!! You could also use this as a kick-off for growning a small vegetable garden with your class.
Dawn Draper
Did you know there are 8 different groups of vegetables? I didn't either until I read, The Vegetables We Eat, by Gail Gibbons. This eye catching book goes into great detail about each of the 8 groups of vegetables by describing how each vegetable fits into it's group, what some of the vegetables are in the group and which part of the vegetable we eat. The book then goes onto explain the farming of vegetables, how they get to local stores and other places we can buy them.
I think children could
This book provides a fun way for students to learn where vegetables come from. There are many types of vegetables, and this book describes ways to use them.

In teaching about the different food groups students will be interested in finding out more about vegetables. This book provides information in a way that is easy for students to grasp. The vocabulary in this book will inform students about if they are eating a root, bulb, leaf, stem or seed. A long debate is whether or not tomatoes are even
Sarah Clark
Reading this book is like eating the vegetables you don't really like but know are good for you. Informative, but not particularly imaginative. Not entirely sure who this would appeal to.
Megan Brooks
This book is about vegetable and farming techniques. I will admit that the farming practies are not the strongest but teach children the basics. This book can be used a mini-lesson on vegetables.
"The Vegetables We Eat" incorporates perfectly into a health lesson in the classroom. Health is so important these days and the more we bring it into the classroom the better.
Marta Borowska
This is a good intro book for children about vegetables and how to grow your own. Lots of good information in here with good examples.
Kelly Francis
Good nonfiction book for the classroom. It can be used to teach about types of vegetables, nutrition, and how vegetables are grown. Full of easy to understand information for students. Great addition to a science lesson or use as a read aloud.
Excellent intro to vegetables and gardening.
This book is an absolute joy, just bursting with vibrant illustrations. Adults are even likely to learn something. The author presents the different types of veggies (which are classified by the edible part of the plant), while frequently reminding readers how fun it is to choose vegetables and how delicious they are. I love vegetables and hopefully this will inspire some youngsters (and their parents!) to try some new ones.
Jennifer Amichia
My students are currently learning the difference between "How To" and "All About" books and Gail Gibbons does a greta job in helping us with that. This book informed all of us about the different types of vegetables we eat and how they are beneficial. I used this text to help my students reflect on non-fiction text features (i.e. picture glossary, labels, headings, etc). Great read and good text-to-self connections!
This is great book for a unit on consumer goods. It answers the question: how do vegetables grow? This book gives different types of vegetables and what kinds of foods you can make with those vegetables. The book can also be used as a reference, or resource, for research on a group project. The Vegetables We Eat is a great book to fall back on for a quick lesson plan or unit.
nice artwork, fun detail about vegetables. I will check this back out once we start going to the farmers market. I considered giving the book 4 stars because of a whole page dedicated to soy, however, it did include plastic and other uses so I let the soymilk and tofu slide, it was not necessarily emphasized as being better than meat or something crazy of the sort!
I thought this book shared a lot of great information in a cute book, but it would be too much for a read aloud with the students. There is just SO MUCH information on each page that I think if it was used for a read aloud, the students would get lost or loose interest. If there is a lesson specifically for vegetables, this would be thee perfect book!
Ashley Correll
This nonfiction book is about how vegetables are grown and make it to your table. Bright illustrations depict different types of vegetables, such as leaf, root, bulb, flower bud and fruit vegetables. Illustrations include families from around the world eating vegetables.
Melissa Sommer
This book describes in detail all the important vegetables we need to eat. I loved the illustrations and details the author used. It was very descriptive and creative. The author does a great job of having fun while telling children how important vegetables are.
Gobs of kid friendly information about vegetables, their classifications and how they grow. The last sentence says it all though, that we should always eat our vegetables because they're good for us.
Dec 19, 2008 Katherine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodie kids
I want to eat this book! Unfortunately, Samuel lost interest after the first couple pages. It's really more my kind of thing than his. Joey really wants to read it, though, so we'll see how that goes.
Michelle White
This book would be good for a unit on vegetables or gardening. I would have to search for this because Professor Klemen's wife brought it to M310 so I don't know where she got it.
Liza Gilbert
This is an excellent introduction to vegetables, breaking them down into tubers, leafy, "fruit" vegetables, and more. Gibbons' art is perfect. A must for every public library.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
  • That's Why We Don't Eat Animals: A Book About Vegans, Vegetarians, and All Living Things
  • Now One Foot, Now the Other
  • Ruby's Wish
  • The Apple Pie That Papa Baked
  • Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon
  • I See Kitty
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work