Start by marking “To Trust a Stranger” as Want to Read:
To Trust a Stranger

To Trust a Stranger

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,785 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Mac McQuarry's newest client is his oldest enemy's wife. When his older brother vanished at the same time Sid Carlson's first wife disappeared, young Mac swore that someday he'd discover his brother's fate. After he became a cop, Mac's probe triggered a nasty frame-up that sent his career down in flames. Now a struggling private eye, Mac can't believe his luck when the sec ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Pocket Books (first published December 26th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about To Trust a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Trust a Stranger

To Trust a Stranger by Karen RobardsIrresistible by Karen RobardsShameless by Karen RobardsScandalous by Karen RobardsShattered by Karen Robards
Best Karen Robards Books
1st out of 17 books — 3 voters
Caine's Reckoning by Sarah McCartyKilling Time by Cindy GerardCinder by Marissa MeyerBy the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha ChristieThen and Always by Dani Atkins
Average Books
30th out of 59 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Bark's Book Nonsense
To Trust A Stranger starts out silly but it’s the good kind of silly that may actually make you smile if you’re in the right frame of mind. It was fun and just as I was settling in for a fluffy, light-hearted read the heroine went all bitchy on me. And it’s never pretty when that happens.

Sigh.

This is yet another book I only finished because it was an audiobook. 2 stars get knocked off because it irritated me so much on my already irritating commute to work.

Things begin in a shady part of town i
Ola
Jan 18, 2016 Ola rated it liked it
a masked, armed man breaks into your home with the expressed intent to kill you. traumatized after your struggle with the intruder in your own bedroom, you just barely escape. but your next course of action? laugh in the face of an ex-cop who tells you to contact the police because someone could be plotting to kill you. even on the same day that a woman is murdered in a hit-and-run because she was mistaken for you outside your own workplace. instead, go jogging at dawn the very next day in a sti ...more
Carrie
Unabridged audiobook narrated by Laura Hicks.
Grade C+

To Trust a Stranger was a mixed bag for me. Parts of the story were quite well done and interesting, but other areas dragged and fell short. The suspense plot overall was good. There wasn't a whole lot to figure out, the only mystery was why these things were happening. The author doesn't give the reader key information about that until the very end of the book, so there was no way for the reader to put the pieces together. That doesn't really
Katiecakes_sweetheart
Jun 15, 2015 Katiecakes_sweetheart rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I couldn't put it down! I read this in 2 days that's a new record for me! Usually it takes me 4 or 5 days to finish a book! It had romance and mystery what's not to love! I loved all of it, I could read it again!
Annette
Aug 24, 2008 Annette rated it it was amazing
I know this book didn't get the best reviews BUT for me it was among her best work. I loved how she worked humor into the plot. I have always loved a gofy charcter and this book has it.
Meigan
Lots of humor in this book, cute dog, the romance and the suspense were just OK.

Julie is married to Sid, leading a nice, cushy life. Sid owns a construction company which pays very well. Julie thinks Sid is cheating on her because of his shady behavior, late night jaunts, and the fact that they haven't had sex in 8 months. She decides to follow him one night and winds up in trouble. She runs into Mac, currently dressed as "Debbie". He is PI investigating a case of a cheating husband who has a th
Ellen Moore
May 15, 2014 Ellen Moore rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book that combined action with romance. A very attractive woman suspected her husband of having an affair and hired a handsome private detective to investigate. Secrets are revealed, and the two form a personal relationship. There are twists and turns and attempts to murder the woman that the male detective thwarts. The man's adorable pet dog adds to the excitement as she bonds with the woman client, and several past relationships are revealed by the book's end.
Anna Mcfadden
Jul 29, 2014 Anna Mcfadden rated it really liked it
Julie believes her millionaire husband, Sid is cheating, she hires P. I. Mac McQuarry who knows Julie ' s husband is behind the disappearance for Sid's first wife and Mac's brother 15 years before. They soon find themselves being chase by a hitman, the mob, and the cops. Love book stayed up all night to read.
Meredith Beasley
Jun 07, 2015 Meredith Beasley rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I laughed out loud, I cried. It is full of suspense in places- so much so, that it becomes almost frustrating. It is one of the sexiest books I've read- full of sexual tension between the 2 main characters. At times it moves slow, but well worth the read...
penelopewanders
This was an effective page-turner for a long train journey. Not very memorable and while the heroine actually seems to have some depth, the hero doesn't seem to be aware of anything other than her physical attributes. Not my favorite by this author, but let itself be read.
MJ
Mar 14, 2014 MJ rated it did not like it

I could`t finish the book. The female character is so, selfish and shallow. She's been married to a real "godfather" and haven't even realised it. The male character isn't much better I suppose a fairly good writer can have a bad day too!!
Petrina
Jun 20, 2015 Petrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Really engaging read. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The two main characters falling for each other was very easy and predictable, but it enhanced the story. As always this author did not disappoint.
Amantebok
Dec 11, 2013 Amantebok rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading romance and reading this cliche was probably the worst thing I wasted three days on. Honestly, I love her way of writing and the plot was quite exciting to be honest, but the characters. I really did not like the characters. In fact, I hated Mac! Hated him. I don't normally hate a male character as strongly as I hate Mac. Perhaps it was because he couldn't leave Julie alone. As I got further into the book, the less I liked Julie as well.

I don't even want to waste anymore time on t
Willow
My first Karen Robards and it begs the question: How have I never heard of her? This is like Diet Sandra Brown. A sexy southern murder mystery with a sexy hero who is more interesting than you'd think and a heroine whose escaping her husband who may or may not be more than just Charleston royalty.

The way these two meet won me hook, line, and sinker. This story was fast-paced, sexy, funny, sweet, suspenseful, and just about everything you want from the genre. I fell head over hells for Mac as he
LJ
To Trust a Stranger - G
Karen Robards
Former beauty queen Julie Carlson hires investigator Mac McQuarry to prove her husband is cheating. Mac is elated; he has been looking for a reason to nail her husband for 15 years. But when Mac witnesses a hit on Julie (her husband hired thugs to kill her), he quickly discovers he'll do anything to keep her alive. Unfortunately, the story is not particularly compelling. While Mac is a solid hero, Julie is an unbearably weak and inconsistently drawn heroine.

F
Aug 27, 2014 Grace rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars

Jun 03, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Loved this Karen Robards book, as usual. It was romantic, funny, suspenseful, etc. Julie got a little annoying and some of the dialogue was cheesy, but it was a fun book that I was expecting to be a little cheesy anyway. The suspense kind of disappeared in the middle of the book. It really only was suspenseful in the beginning and end. Overall though, this was a great, fast-paced, romantic read. I especially enjoyed the scene where the two meet. Literally LOL funny!
Marlene
Dec 12, 2008 Marlene rated it liked it
Another hand-me-down book that was run-of-the-mill. It began as a thriller, but then, through most of the book, it wasn't, not until the end. Most of it was predictable. I think the author should have stated up front more of what was going on and why and then let the reader wonder if the missing item would ever be found and where and who knew. Instead the author told it all at the end. Nothing out of the ordinary, but not a book that I had to force myself to read either.
Barbara Lohr
Jun 26, 2015 Barbara Lohr rated it it was amazing
Loved the pace and the characters.
Sandy
Jan 16, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it
This was an audio book. I liked the story, but the woman that narrated the book did a terrible job with the different voices. It was set in Savannah and the southern accent for the female main character was terrible. I really prefer books that are narrated by men. The ones I have listened to in the past seem to be better at sounding like women than the women narrators sound like men.
Jessica
Jul 28, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok
Well my mother-in-law gave me this one.....not so good. I mean it was way too romantic for me; just not my type. I'm sure if you're into that stuff you'd like this book. The mystery behind it was good, but a bit predictable. I would recommend this book only if you like that romantic stuff that turns my face way too red. :)
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Karen's books are always good, solid reads, but this book was wonderful. From the opening scene of the hero dressed as a huge, blonde drag queen to the very last page, this book has it all. Through in a trailor park in-law and the evil ex, you have a book full of laughter and love. Perfect!!
Sharon
Aug 19, 2012 Sharon rated it it was ok
Interesting- An apparent pampered Southern trophy wife jumps in her car late one night to see if her husband is having an affair and runs into trouble. The hero who helps her turns out to have an unknown connection to her. More of a mystery with a romantic sub-plot.
Maura
Jul 28, 2011 Maura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
I really got into the whole story. I loved the hero and how adorable he was with his Grandma's dog. I believed the heroine's reactions to her circumstances. The action at the end was really well written. The romance was hot and passionate. I recommend.
Suzanne
Jul 15, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it
This author cranks out a lot of books, but I found this one refreshing and entertaining. The main characters had chemistry and the banter was sometimes funny and endearing. It was my personal favorite of Karen Robards' books.
Myndi
May 04, 2012 Myndi rated it it was amazing
This book was full of suspense, excitement and yes, romance. It kept me riveted until the end, I just didn't want to put it down. I've never read anything by this author before, but I definitely recommend this book.
Misty
Jun 01, 2015 Misty rated it it was amazing
I was completely hooked one page into this story, and it kept me on the edge of seat the rest of the way through. Ms. Robards is the master at writing good romances brimming with passion and mystery!!
Dana
Mac and Julie

I loved their chemistry. Some of the parts were a little long-winded for me, certain sections didn't really add to the story, but overall it wasn't bad. I give it 3 stars.
Stefanie
Jul 23, 2010 Stefanie rated it really liked it
This is my 3rd Karen Robards book and is by far my favorite. I enjoyed both of the main characters and how fast paced the story was! Plenty of excitement, sexual tension, romance, and suspense!
  • Stop Me (Last Stand Series, #2)
  • Veil of Night
  • Kill All the Lawyers (Solomon vs Lord, #3)
  • Never Look Back (Look Trilogy, #2)
  • Midnight Sun (Sinclair Sisters Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Water
  • A Time To Die (The Protectors, #29)
  • Iguana Bay
  • Cold Target
  • Running Scared (Rarities Unlimited, #2)
  • I See You
  • The Last White Knight
Karen was born on 24 August 1954 in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. She has been writing since she was a teenager. She sold her first short story, when was very young, and was published in the December 1973 Reader's Digest, but she cannot sold her first romance novel until 1981, when she was 24. After it, she dropped out of law school to pursue her writing career. Today, a regular on the New York Times ...more
More about Karen Robards...