Start by marking “To Trust a Stranger” as Want to Read:
To Trust a Stranger

To Trust a Stranger

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,525 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Mac McQuarry's newest client is his oldest enemy's wife. When his older brother vanished at the same time Sid Carlson's first wife disappeared, young Mac swore that someday he'd discover his brother's fate. After he became a cop, Mac's probe triggered a nasty frame-up that sent his career down in flames. Now a struggling private eye, Mac can't believe his luck when the sec ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Pocket Books (first published December 26th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about To Trust a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Trust a Stranger

Bark's Book Nonsense
To Trust A Stranger starts out silly but it’s the good kind of silly that may actually make you smile if you’re in the right frame of mind. It was fun and just as I was settling in for a fluffy, light-hearted read the heroine went all bitchy on me. And it’s never pretty when that happens.

Sigh.

This is yet another book I only finished because it was an audiobook. 2 stars get knocked off because it irritated me so much on my already irritating commute to work.

Things begin in a shady part of town i
Carrie
Unabridged audiobook narrated by Laura Hicks.
Grade C+

To Trust a Stranger was a mixed bag for me. Parts of the story were quite well done and interesting, but other areas dragged and fell short. The suspense plot overall was good. There wasn't a whole lot to figure out, the only mystery was why these things were happening. The author doesn't give the reader key information about that until the very end of the book, so there was no way for the reader to put the pieces together. That doesn't really
Annette
I know this book didn't get the best reviews BUT for me it was among her best work. I loved how she worked humor into the plot. I have always loved a gofy charcter and this book has it.
Mademoiselle Charlotte
Has anyone noticed that in Robards' earlier books,male and female characters always want the same thing at different time...?Just a thought...

4.5 stars read.

PLOT

Julie is married to a man she thinks might be cheating on her.So,she does what every cool,awesome,courageous, adventurous woman would do:she goes after him.How she does it is,on the other hand,not cool.She's not only wearing a pyjamas,but the pyjamas:husband-bait,pink,just-covering-her-private parts.Anyhow,she "strayed" into a valley whe
Meigan
Lots of humor in this book, cute dog, the romance and the suspense were just OK.

Julie is married to Sid, leading a nice, cushy life. Sid owns a construction company which pays very well. Julie thinks Sid is cheating on her because of his shady behavior, late night jaunts, and the fact that they haven't had sex in 8 months. She decides to follow him one night and winds up in trouble. She runs into Mac, currently dressed as "Debbie". He is PI investigating a case of a cheating husband who has a th
Ellen Moore
This was an interesting book that combined action with romance. A very attractive woman suspected her husband of having an affair and hired a handsome private detective to investigate. Secrets are revealed, and the two form a personal relationship. There are twists and turns and attempts to murder the woman that the male detective thwarts. The man's adorable pet dog adds to the excitement as she bonds with the woman client, and several past relationships are revealed by the book's end.
Anna Mcfadden
Julie believes her millionaire husband, Sid is cheating, she hires P. I. Mac McQuarry who knows Julie ' s husband is behind the disappearance for Sid's first wife and Mac's brother 15 years before. They soon find themselves being chase by a hitman, the mob, and the cops. Love book stayed up all night to read.
penelopewanders
This was an effective page-turner for a long train journey. Not very memorable and while the heroine actually seems to have some depth, the hero doesn't seem to be aware of anything other than her physical attributes. Not my favorite by this author, but let itself be read.
MJ

I could`t finish the book. The female character is so, selfish and shallow. She's been married to a real "godfather" and haven't even realised it. The male character isn't much better I suppose a fairly good writer can have a bad day too!!
Amantebok
I love reading romance and reading this cliche was probably the worst thing I wasted three days on. Honestly, I love her way of writing and the plot was quite exciting to be honest, but the characters. I really did not like the characters. In fact, I hated Mac! Hated him. I don't normally hate a male character as strongly as I hate Mac. Perhaps it was because he couldn't leave Julie alone. As I got further into the book, the less I liked Julie as well.

I don't even want to waste anymore time on t
Willow
My first Karen Robards and it begs the question: How have I never heard of her? This is like Diet Sandra Brown. A sexy southern murder mystery with a sexy hero who is more interesting than you'd think and a heroine whose escaping her husband who may or may not be more than just Charleston royalty.

The way these two meet won me hook, line, and sinker. This story was fast-paced, sexy, funny, sweet, suspenseful, and just about everything you want from the genre. I fell head over hells for Mac as he
LJ
To Trust a Stranger - G
Karen Robards
Former beauty queen Julie Carlson hires investigator Mac McQuarry to prove her husband is cheating. Mac is elated; he has been looking for a reason to nail her husband for 15 years. But when Mac witnesses a hit on Julie (her husband hired thugs to kill her), he quickly discovers he'll do anything to keep her alive. Unfortunately, the story is not particularly compelling. While Mac is a solid hero, Julie is an unbearably weak and inconsistently drawn heroine.

F
Grace
3 1/2 stars

Loved this Karen Robards book, as usual. It was romantic, funny, suspenseful, etc. Julie got a little annoying and some of the dialogue was cheesy, but it was a fun book that I was expecting to be a little cheesy anyway. The suspense kind of disappeared in the middle of the book. It really only was suspenseful in the beginning and end. Overall though, this was a great, fast-paced, romantic read. I especially enjoyed the scene where the two meet. Literally LOL funny!
Marlene
Another hand-me-down book that was run-of-the-mill. It began as a thriller, but then, through most of the book, it wasn't, not until the end. Most of it was predictable. I think the author should have stated up front more of what was going on and why and then let the reader wonder if the missing item would ever be found and where and who knew. Instead the author told it all at the end. Nothing out of the ordinary, but not a book that I had to force myself to read either.
Sandy
This was an audio book. I liked the story, but the woman that narrated the book did a terrible job with the different voices. It was set in Savannah and the southern accent for the female main character was terrible. I really prefer books that are narrated by men. The ones I have listened to in the past seem to be better at sounding like women than the women narrators sound like men.
Mary
I was looking for a romantic suspense read with lots of humor and came across this book because of all the really good reviews. Well, tastes differ... ;-)

The character Mac was okay and sometimes even funny. But Julie's childish/immature and then horny as hell behaviour just annoyed me too much to enjoy the book at all.

To say it in a German phrase 'Ablage P'.
Jessica
Well my mother-in-law gave me this one.....not so good. I mean it was way too romantic for me; just not my type. I'm sure if you're into that stuff you'd like this book. The mystery behind it was good, but a bit predictable. I would recommend this book only if you like that romantic stuff that turns my face way too red. :)
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Karen's books are always good, solid reads, but this book was wonderful. From the opening scene of the hero dressed as a huge, blonde drag queen to the very last page, this book has it all. Through in a trailor park in-law and the evil ex, you have a book full of laughter and love. Perfect!!
Sharon
Interesting- An apparent pampered Southern trophy wife jumps in her car late one night to see if her husband is having an affair and runs into trouble. The hero who helps her turns out to have an unknown connection to her. More of a mystery with a romantic sub-plot.
Maura
I really got into the whole story. I loved the hero and how adorable he was with his Grandma's dog. I believed the heroine's reactions to her circumstances. The action at the end was really well written. The romance was hot and passionate. I recommend.
Suzanne
This author cranks out a lot of books, but I found this one refreshing and entertaining. The main characters had chemistry and the banter was sometimes funny and endearing. It was my personal favorite of Karen Robards' books.
Myndi
This book was full of suspense, excitement and yes, romance. It kept me riveted until the end, I just didn't want to put it down. I've never read anything by this author before, but I definitely recommend this book.
Dana
Mac and Julie

I loved their chemistry. Some of the parts were a little long-winded for me, certain sections didn't really add to the story, but overall it wasn't bad. I give it 3 stars.
Stefanie
This is my 3rd Karen Robards book and is by far my favorite. I enjoyed both of the main characters and how fast paced the story was! Plenty of excitement, sexual tension, romance, and suspense!
Kay-em
Not very interesting especially from a suspense point of view. The heroine is weak and confused. This is not one of the author's best works - possibly because its an early work.
Lori
It was an okay read. Typical romance novel where you can guess everything that's coming next. But it was a nice break from all the gory horror I typically read.
Lynda
This was not a bad story but the vulgar language spoiled my interest. Her later books are riveting but without the trashy descriptions.
Irishdancer
This was a good,quick read. However, it wasn't Karen Robards best. The suspense seemed to be lacking.
Tiffluvsaaron
Very Good read. This is one of the first books I have ever read of Karens...She is a wonderful author
  • Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3)
  • Stop Me (Last Stand Series, #2)
  • Midnight Sun (Sinclair Sisters Trilogy, #1)
  • Crazy Cool (Steele Street, #2)
  • Don't Look Now (Look Trilogy, #1)
  • Tongue In Chic (Fortune Hunter, #2)
  • A Time To Die (The Protectors, #29)
  • Dark Water
  • Always Time to Die (St. Kilda Consulting, #1)
  • I Got You, Babe (The DeMarco Family, #1)
  • I See You
Karen was born on 24 August 1954 in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. She has been writing since she was a teenager. She sold her first short story, when was very young, and was published in the December 1973 Reader's Digest, but she cannot sold her first romance novel until 1981, when she was 24. After it, she dropped out of law school to pursue her writing career. Today, a regular on the New York Times ...more
More about Karen Robards...
Shattered Bait One Summer The Last Victim (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #1) Shiver