Start by marking “The Lost Van Gogh” as Want to Read:
The Lost Van Gogh

The Lost Van Gogh

When Vincent van Gogh's Portrait of Monsieur Trabuc turns up unexpectedly at the Metropolitan Museum of Art--a $50 million painting shipped from Argentina via UPS, like an ordinary package--the case goes to Clay Ryder, the NYPD Major Case Squad detective assigned to art theft.

Ryder discovers that in Paris, late 1944, a Jewish widow accused a German SS officer of stealing t
Published April 3rd 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Van Gogh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Van Gogh

martin
Sep 11, 2011 martin rated it it was ok
Detective fiction and especially those novels ambitious enough to build in a holocaust related thriller, really do need to be exciting enough so that you never put them down willingly. This one sadly fails the test. Yes, a clever idea but the latter half of the book got so disjointed and preposterous that I got bored. Too many poorly explained and badly constructed jumps in the plot where the detective has huge and completely incredible revelations about who's doing what and why. I like my crime ...more
Jodi Bowman
Sep 29, 2014 Jodi Bowman rated it really liked it
One of Van Gogh's lost paintings unexpectedly arrives at the Museum Of Modern Art in NY. The painting finds its way to the granddaughter of the original owner, a Frenchman living in Paris during WW II. The topic was intriguing. You learn about the dealings of the art world as well as the history of the abundance of European art that was confiscated by the Nazis during the war. There are a lot of characters in this story: the NYPD, art dealers, a NAzi war criminal, people living in French during ...more
Marfita
Oct 04, 2012 Marfita rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozies
Madeleine
Sep 25, 2012 Madeleine rated it really liked it
The Lost Van Gogh was a book that I could not put down. 350 pages of thrill and mystery and art! The protagonist is Clayton Ryder, a detective for the NYPD who specializes in art crime. He comes across a case that draws him in. Despite the fact that the case is closed, he cannot let it go. His interest leads him to Rachael Meredith, a quirky film professor at NYU. The story weaves together modern day Manhattan with Nazi-occupied France, and gives us a wonderful tale of bravery, loss, and family ...more
Paula Howard
Mar 30, 2013 Paula Howard rated it it was amazing
The Lost Van Gogh is a can't put down book. Rachel finds herself the owner of a a Van Gogh, Monsieur Trabuc. She is the only living relative of its original owner. Monsieur Trabuc and Madame Trabuc were stolen by the Nazis during WWII. After she comes into possession of the painting strange events begin to occur ... such as attempts on her life.

Clay, an art detective, was called in to assist in the case. Also becoming involved, but silently is an agent of Mossad. Mossad is looking for a Nazi wa
Thomas
Jul 29, 2016 Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2013
I started reading this book in June of 2012. I finished it yesterday. It’s not that I've been reading one page a day for the last year or so; I just started on it, got about halfway through it, and then found something else to read. And then something else. And so on and so on. That might suggest that the book wasn't all that interesting, but it was just a matter of not really wanting to read, period, and that when I finally did want to, I was reading other things. But since I had reached the ha ...more
LJ
THE LOST VAN GOGH (Pol. Prod.-Det. Clay Ryder-NYC-Cont) – G+
A.J. Zerries – 1st book
TOR, 2007, US Paperback – ISBN: 9780765351081
First Sentence: Neither of the two men trusted the other, but that, after all, was the nature of the business.
*** NYPD Detective Clay Ryder is the force’s art expert. When the Metropolitan Museum of Art receives a long-lost Van Gogh via UPS from Argentina, its Ryder’s case to find out where it came from and to whom it belongs. Israel’s Mossad wants Ryder to help them fi
Jennifer Alderson
Jun 11, 2016 Jennifer Alderson rated it really liked it
A Van Gogh, missing since WWII, resurfaces when it is sent to the Museum of Modern Art via UPS from a mysterious address in Argentina. The book opens with a string of art couriers being attacked and NYPD detective Clay Ryder stepping in to solve the crime. From the flap, I thought it was going to be more mystery than thriller; I couldn't have been more wrong! Once I figured out it was a thriller, I was sold. Tight story, lots of twists, turns, shoot-outs, car chases, Mossad agents, old South Ame ...more
Mickey
Sep 05, 2015 Mickey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating mystery with as many breathtaking twists and turns as the mountain road to Amalfi.

I don't often read fiction, but the title caught my attention so I decided to give The Lost Van Gogh a try. Having once lived on Long Island, the NYC and L I locale gave the story an extra measure of authenticity. If you enjoyed The Woman in Gold, you'll love The Lost Van Gogh.
David Schwan
There are good and bad points to this book. In the first 2/3'rd's there is a fair amount of fluff in the plot, side streets and alleys that in many ways are distracting. It feels like the there was a vague idea of a plot and they made it up as they wrote, somethings are the main plot and push the story forward, and somethings are just plain dead ends, then at some point the real plot gelled and no more distractions; this happens around the 2/3rd's point and then we get lots of surprises and thin ...more
Amanda
May 04, 2015 Amanda rated it did not like it
Bonnie
Jan 23, 2012 Bonnie rated it it was ok
I really wanted to put The Lost Van Gogh down, but I was over 200 pages into it and finally decided I had invested too much time to give up on it. It actually did pick up in the last half and was pretty exciting, but overall I still found the plot to be far too unnecessarily complicated with too many characters. Even when the action began to pick up and get interesting, I found myself not understanding what was going on many times or, definitely worse yet, not able to believe things that happene ...more
Kathy
Apr 10, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-book-club
I found this book keep my interest and was a fast easy read.
Kim
Jan 20, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those books that leaves you wishing the story continued...
Ted Roper
Sep 03, 2015 Ted Roper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun ride!
Oct 04, 2007 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What's with me and mysteries this year?! A long-lost Van Gogh turns up unexpectedly at the Metropolitan Museum of art and a NYC cop sets out to discover its origin and determine who owns it. He discovers that the painting was stolen from a Jewish family living in Paris during WWII by an infamous SS officer. The book is exciting and has some good plot turns. Some parts were too violent for me. Probably best read by the pool or at the beach.
Liz
Jan 08, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it
Interest take on the looting of Europe under the Nazi rule. A missing Van Gogh turns up during a failed robbery attempt of a UPS truck on its way to the Met. Detective Clay Ryder is assigned the case and tracks down the decendent of the original owner. What looks like an easy case changes with too many interested parties in the painting, attempts on the owner's life, and Ryder's belief that the easy solution was just that--easy.
Linda Martin
Jun 26, 2012 Linda Martin rated it really liked it
This is just my kind of book---suspense, detectives, plus art and history. A real page-turner. Yeh, some of the connections the detective made were unbelievable unless he was a genius, could read minds and see into the past, but who cares? This is great fiction and escape reading at its best. Wish the A.J. Zerries team would put out some more like this.
Emily
Mar 17, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
I bought this book at an art museum so I would have something to read while waiting for my husband to join me. Considering the rigorous selection process, it was pretty good. I enjoyed the art history lesson, and I did not see the most shocking part of the twist coming. It's not the best written, but it's a pretty fun read if you like mysteries or crime novels.
Jen Hartwig
Jul 16, 2012 Jen Hartwig rated it liked it
Thriller involving art, crime, Nazis, torture and a detective on the case(es). The book is jumbled until the about 75% through, when you see how the three or so plots tie together and then the entire book makes sense... once I reached that point, I couldn't put it down. But the end is also quite disturbing... I wouldn't read the end right before bed!
Trish Pogue
Jul 08, 2013 Trish Pogue rated it really liked it
Great story. The story moved at a brisk pace. The antagonist was well written. I grew fond of him and really wanted the best for him by the end of the story.

If you like cop dramas, art mysteries, or historical fiction, this story is for you.
Carol Wolfe
Nov 25, 2012 Carol Wolfe rated it liked it
This book was a little confusing at times. So many different characters. It also seems as if everyone is writing about art and the Holocaust lately. I think this is the third book I've read in the last 6 months about the same thing.
Erna
Sep 30, 2012 Erna rated it really liked it
Got this as a bargain book and did not have high expectations. However, the story quickly drew me in and I ended up really looking forward to my daily reading time. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Jessica
A wildly twisty thriller with about ten million things going on - could have benefited from an editorial pruning to reduce the number of puzzle pieces (and the frequent exposition dumps thus required).
James Enloe
Nov 13, 2012 James Enloe rated it it was ok
I just wanted it to end, but it went on and on and on...

Uninspired writing combined with a fantastical plot made for a book that I could not wait to end. I just have to suggest you don't bother.
Virginia
Aug 02, 2007 Virginia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes B-
It is not the best art theft novel I have ever read- but it is interesting and gives more light upon the complex web of the art theft world. It has a good narritive and charicter development.
Karlene Elliott-mclean
Apr 04, 2013 Karlene Elliott-mclean rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery
This book did not start out really good for me but it picked up around the middle of the book and then it was very interesting reading. I was surprised to find out who the villain was.
Miriam
Sep 04, 2011 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
This book was fascinating because it took three of my favorite things and rolled it into one story: Art, Mystery, and Holocaust survivors. Very well-written and intriguing.
Nicolette
Aug 29, 2013 Nicolette rated it liked it
Definitely a page-turner but sooooooooo many character stories. Seemed a little disjointed at times but it was an easy three day subway ride read. Very disturbing end though.
Karis North
Jul 04, 2012 Karis North rated it liked it
Shelves: overdrive
Not bad as a summer beach detective novel. Who doesn't love art and hate the nazis. Combining them with a strong flawed hero and a cool heroine made for a good quick read.
  • Tahoe Night
  • The Lost Chalice: The Epic Hunt for a Priceless Masterpiece
  • Murder at the 42nd Street Library (Raymond Ambler #1)
  • Road Markers
  • Jack Knife
  • The House of Brass
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • A Glancing Light (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #2)
  • Ghost Detective (A Myron Vale Investigation)
  • Agatha Christie's Detectives: Five Complete Novels: The Murder at the Vicarage / Dead Man's Folly / Sad Cypress / Towards Zero / N or M?
  • Animosity
  • Principles of Art History: The Problem of the Development of Style in Later Art
  • The Album
  • Speak of the Devil
  • Loser's Town: A David Spandau Novel
  • Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan, #3)
  • Death and Restoration (Jonathan Argyll, #6)
  • Eye of the Raven (Duncan McCallum, #2)