Music, Language, and the Brain

Music, Language, and the Brain

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the first comprehensive study of the relationship between music and language from the standpoint of cognitive neuroscience, Aniruddh D. Patel challenges the widespread belief that music and language are processed independently. Since Plato's time, the relationship between music and language has attracted interest and debate from a wide range of thinkers. Recently, scien...more
Published December 7th 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published November 5th 2007)

Stuart
The most impressive book on the subject I've read. Not an easy read and not for most readers, but the far ranging surveys of scientific studies makes a good case for the linking of music and language. My notes:

Octave & 5th very common
Most scales 5 - 7 notes
Most scale intervals between 1&3 semitones (2 common)
Most scales are asymmetric-exceptions are Whole tone(6) and Slendro(5)
Asymmetric scales help identify relation to tonic though cultural conditioning trumps in pattern recognition

Tabl...more
Will
"Linguistic and musical sound systems illustrate a common theme in the study of music-language relations. On the surface, the two domains are dramatically different. Music uses pitch in ways that speech does not, and speech organizes timbre to a degree seldom seen in music. Yet beneath these differences lie deep connections in terms of cognitive and neural processing. Most notably, in both domains the mind interacts with one particular aspect of sound (pitch in music, and timbre in speech) to cr...more
Kaitlyn Dennis
My first thought after finishing this: WHEW. What a mental workout. This took about a month and a half to get through, which, for a book that I was reading on a semi-daily basis throughout that, is a hell of a long time. Still, totally worth it.

Although it's not a pop science book, it's still accessible for those not in the field of neuroscience or linguistics. However, I'm not sure how readable or enjoyable this would be for someone without any exposure to general music theory and/or linguistic...more
Brian
An thorough, meticulous, nearly exhaustive review of the research on how the brain processes music and language. It's a tiring read, free of much one might call "style", but the chapter on Meaning masterfully pulls together the loads of information presented in the previous chapters. The book ends up being more suggestive than conclusive, but if you are interested in, for example, how the "music" of poetry is processed by the brain, this is the book for you.
Scott Miles
What an incredible resource! This book reads like a 520-page "Nature Reviews Neuroscience" paper, and a well-written one at that. Up-to-date, thorough, scientifically balanced, and intellectually bold, this is a volume that I hope will guide my own research for years to come.
Kalle Oskar
Patel's work is a dense study that musicians might understand, or neurobiologist might understand - at least in part. The Rhetorician doesn't quite get it. I'm working at understanding, but it is a difficult work. The struggle may be repaid sometime.
Tim
A scholarly study by a neuroscientist of core aspects of being human. Patel argues that language use arose via natural selection but the evidence on balance indicates that music and musical affinity are side-effects rather than direct effects of selection.
Sunlita
Feb 26, 2009 Sunlita marked it as to-read
Shelves: five-stars-books
Tough I really want to read this book, the price is quite expensive for me, so I should wait until I have a chance to buy this book. But from what I've read about this, it seems that this book's price is worthed to buy.
Everett Charters
frita
frita marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Ranjith Fernando
Ranjith Fernando marked it as to-read
Rob Harrington
Rob Harrington marked it as to-read
Amanda Orlando
Amanda Orlando marked it as to-read
Robert Ringler
Robert Ringler marked it as to-read
Paulo
Paulo marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Kathleen Zizzo
Kathleen Zizzo marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Reem Samra
Reem Samra marked it as to-read
Donald Massoud
Donald Massoud marked it as to-read
1291225 marked it as to-read
Slane2012
Slane2012 marked it as to-read
Lady Demelza
Lady Demelza marked it as to-read
₱hantom §wami
₱hantom §wami marked it as to-read
Chey
Chey added it
Nadia S.
Nadia S. marked it as to-read
Ylbere
Ylbere marked it as to-read
Kaki
Kaki marked it as to-read
Esther Meledoroj
Esther Meledoroj marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
  • Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination
  • Music and the Mind
  • The Music Instinct: How Music Works and Why We Can't Do Without It
  • Emotion and Meaning in Music
  • Audio Culture: Readings in Modern Music
  • The Joy of Music
  • The Singing Neanderthals: The Origins of Music, Language, Mind, and Body
  • How Music Works: The Science and Psychology of Beautiful Sounds, from Beethoven to the Beatles and Beyond
  • The Lives of the Great Composers
  • The Art of Practicing: A Guide to Making Music from the Heart
  • The World in Six Songs: How the Musical Brain Created Human Nature
  • Poetics of Music in the Form of Six Lessons
  • The Study of Counterpoint
  • Silence: Lectures and Writings
  • Listen to This
  • The Soundscape: Our Environment and the Tuning of the World (Paperback)
  • The Classical Style: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven