Start by marking “Herein Is Love, Vol. 1: Genesis” as Want to Read:
Herein Is Love, Vol. 1: Genesis

Herein Is Love, Vol. 1: Genesis

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  9 reviews

To ask other readers questions about Herein Is Love, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herein Is Love, Vol. 1

Tracy
Mar 08, 2013 Tracy added it
Not sure why this is classified as a "children's commentary" because it knocked my socks off and left me both inspired and confounded. A great, great, smart read for family devotions. Ganz goes deep. She obviously understands what Jesus meant when He said, "and a child shall lead them" because this commentary is the smartest most respectful children's devotional I have ever laid hands on. She definitely took a page of Charles Spurgeon's/Charlotte Mason's book by not writing twaddle and dumbed do ...more
Sean-david
I walked through this with my family as we are going through the Pentateuch. Nancy Ganz has put together a beautiful work of commentaries, covering the entire Pentateuch. These come with wonderful craft ideas, field trips, and most importantly- a high view of scripture in the reformed tradition with careful exegesis and application. I would get this; whether you have children or no- most of us adults would be challenged and blessed by her thoughtful commentary.
Becky Sayler
The subtitle of this book is “A Commentary for Children,” though I don’t think that’s an accurate categorization. It is not so much an explanation of Genesis as it is a retelling with musings by the author. Some of these musings are helpful connections (like contrasting the tower of Babel to Pentecost), some are a little bizarre (a diary of Noah) and I found some unnecessarily contentious (calling Charles Darwin “a great destroyer of the faith” and a “Philistine”).

My main hesitation in recommen
Erica Lawless
I highly recommend this book! It will bring the bible to life and make your children think about God's word. I marvel at the conversations we have around the kitchen table about the truth of God's word after reading this with them. I would recommend this book for children 2nd grade-High School. It is a fantastic read-aloud as a family for devotions.
"Bible commentaries for children? Yes, Bible commentaries for parents to read their children. This series of books provides what children need – sol
Scott
The content was solid. Sort of a running commentary-devotional for children. I used this as a parallel source as I have read through Genesis with my kids. My kids didn't use the book directly. I didn't use the study guide in the back (it looks like it would be perfect for use in a school or homeschool context). Some of the chapters were surprisingly long. I appreciated the author's heart for God that was seen in each chapter. Her love for God helped keep before me what it is we are actually tryi ...more
Stacey
Jun 13, 2012 Stacey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stacey by: Shepherd's Press
Shelves: faith, bible-study
I received this in the mail today and I am excited about the way this comentary teaches children the Word of God and the Love of God. I am looking forward to digging into Genesis during our evening devos and tea time.

Ha. 4 years later... I received this in the mail again, this time coming from my parents in America. Again, I am enjoying it, and using it as I prepare to teach 4th grade Bible this year. Our second unit is Genesis.
Diana
Although this is a commentary for kids, I am continually surprised at Nancy Ganz's insights that I have never thought of before. If you're looking for a good book for family devotions, seriously consider this one. It also includes review questions, craft ideas, activities to involve your kids, and song suggestions. My kids (4 and 7) love this book!
Mary
Loved this book. We used it as a devotional, and although you would think from the text and language that it was above the heads of younger kids, my littler ones listened and gained a lot from this book. It is gospel-centered and reveals to a young audience how God foretold the coming of Christ since the beginning.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
Rec. by Ann Voskamp for family read-aloud
Michelle Blake
Michelle Blake marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Angie Beshears
Angie Beshears marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Beth Van bemmel
Beth Van bemmel marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Adam Paul
Adam Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Candy
Candy added it
Aug 26, 2013
Marisha
Marisha marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Chris Weston
Chris Weston is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Anna Thevaos
Anna Thevaos marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Liz Gonzalez
Liz Gonzalez marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Herein Is Love, Vol. 1: Genesis Numbers: A Commentary for Children Deuteronomy: A Commentary for Children: Herein Is Love # 05