Start by marking “Stormchild” as Want to Read:
Stormchild

Stormchild (Thrillers #4)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  691 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Focussing on the blind passion of an obsessive dream, this work presents the story of a quest, of a man's search for his missing daughter - and to prove his daughter's innocence from involvement in her mother's murder. And he is no ordinary man - for he is famous as a world-class yachtsman.
Paperback
Published August 17th 1993 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published 1991)

Kate Quinn
Aug 16, 2009 Kate Quinn rated it it was amazing
Bernard Cornwell is better known for his historicals, but he has an excellent smaller series of modern sea-faring thrillers. "Stormchild" is the best of them, following the desperate search of a father for his daughter. Tim is a deep-water sailor and Stormchild is his boat; he has lost his son to an Army accident and his wife to a bomb, and he is determined to find his daughter Nicole, the one member of his family still alive. Nicole has disappeared into a cult-like group of environmental fanati ...more
Arty Mist
Jun 01, 2015 Arty Mist rated it it was amazing
A story which starts with "The sea was weeping" has captured me already! I couldn't put this book down - one of Bernard Cornwall's best. Only a person who knows the sea intimately could have written this book. Forget the plot, intriguing though it was, read this book for the sheer pleasure of seeing a master wordsmith at work.
Eileen
Mar 29, 2016 Eileen rated it really liked it
Tim is a man plagued by tragedy. His wife is killed in mysterious circumstances. His son is kelled in a terrorist attack in Ireland. His daughter disappears with a 'so-called' greenie group which uses any means necessart to accomplish their aim of saving the planet. This group, called Genesis, is hiding in a remote place which Tim is determined to find.
He sails in a yacht called Storm Child and reaches the hideaway by sailing through treacherous seas to this harsh land. He confronts the communi
Marilyn
Feb 11, 2009 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great author!
Kind of like Dick Francis only in the boating/sailing arena. Intense excitement.
Graham
Jan 02, 2014 Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
One of Cornwell's contemporary seafaring thrillers, STORMCHILD contains the best and worst of his thriller writing. It's a sometimes frustrating beast that nonetheless has the kind of gutsy and compelling storytelling that makes all of this writer's books winners. There are big flaws, yes, but in the end Cornwell's style wins out.

The story is typical for these thriller stories; the hero is an alpha type who likes sailing his yachts around the world, a thinly disguised fictional version of the au
Michael Springer
Aug 13, 2015 Michael Springer rated it it was ok
Bernard Cornwell is incapable of writing a bad book, but this one comes uncomfortably close. The insipid plot about a father pursuing his missing daughter who has taken up with a band of eco-terrorists might have been more plausible in the early '90s, when the book was written, but it feels cringeworthy today. Cornwell's writing and descriptive powers are always strong, but even in the seafaring passages he's no Patrick O'Brian. I'm glad to see that he has subsequently stuck to the Dark and Midd ...more
Valerie Penny
Jan 20, 2016 Valerie Penny rated it liked it
My husband always enjoys books by Bernard Cornwell, who is an English author of historical novels. Cornwell is best known for his novels about Napoleonic Wars rifleman Richard Sharpe and my husband has read ths series and most of the others too. So, when he recommended Stormchild to me, I knew it would be a good book. It is.

Stormchild is the boat owned by a famous, successful yachtsman, Tim Blackburn and his wife. They have already lost their son in the army, so when his wife dies in an explosio
Jeff Yoak
Stormchild is my favorite Bernard Cornwell novel yet!

All of Cornwell's normal virtues are present -- great characterization, a thrilling plot, action that keeps you on the edge of your seat, and several weakness typical of his novels are completely reversed. Typically, I find his novels to be slow starters, for instance. By contrast, 20 minutes into Stormchild I was sniffling and wishing for revenge.

Stormchild is one of Cornwell's stand-alone sailing novels. These novels in general seem to be pa
Peter
Aug 25, 2013 Peter rated it really liked it
Over the years I have read a fair number of Cornwell's historical novels and have always enjoyed them but this the first of his stand alone sailing books that I've read so was curious to see how they would compare and on the whole I was reasonably pleased with it.

The story revolves around an aging,reasonably well known (in sailing circles at least)lone sailor Tim Blackburn who after his wife dies in an explosion on a yacht sails off in search of his daughter, another competant sailor, who has di
Scott
Dec 15, 2015 Scott rated it liked it
Three stars is being generous. In fairness this book was written a long time ago and Bernard Cornwell has become a much better author since this book.

Without giving away any plot lines, this 468 page book could easily have been 350 pages instead. There was a lot of pointless, tedious nautical jargon that I am sure bored anyone who isn't a yacht racer, which is almost everyone.
Christophe
Sep 20, 2015 Christophe rated it liked it
Easy reading action and adventure. Some nice imagery and authentic sailing scenes which help to give it substance. Don't expect too much from this book, but if you're nautically inclined and looking for some entertainment, this would fit the bill.
Sonulik
Oct 19, 2015 Sonulik rated it liked it
A decent thriller, but I enjoyed Sea Lord a lot more. I havent read any historicals by this author nor I intend to do, but his stand-alones are quite good if you like a mix od adventure, thriller, and a romance. ...more
Mary Wagner
Dec 12, 2010 Mary Wagner rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: suspense and fiction fans
Recommended to Mary by: I found it by chance
This is another of those books I go back to every few years, this one to revel in the author's love of the ocean and craft for bringing you on board a sailboat in rough seas. This was the first Bernard Cornwell novel I ever picked up, and it's one of his few stand-alone sailing thrillers--he's more famous for historical series. It tells the tale of a father who's son is dead in the Falklands and his wife has died in a boat explosion, and he must find his remaining child who has taken up with a b ...more
Cathy
Mar 16, 2016 Cathy added it
Exciting story involving sailing from England to Pantagonia.
BOT
Gerald Matzke
Nov 24, 2014 Gerald Matzke rated it really liked it
This was the first Cornwell book that I have read that was not an historical novel. It was a real thriller. I found it hard to put down. It was obviously written by someone who knew a lot about sailing. I was a bit frustrated by all of the sailing lingo because I know nothing about it. It would have been good to have a picture of the boat with all of the parts identified. Someone into sailing would enjoy this book much more than I did. It was an exciting story though.
Daniel
May 06, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
Another style. I think you have to get used to it.
Trisha
Feb 14, 2009 Trisha rated it really liked it
Good story - of the sea, a fanatical community and a journey from England to South America by yacht.
tim Blackburn's wife is killed as she sails their boat out of the English Channel - later it is discovered that a bomb had been planted on the boat.
The realisation comes to Tim that it could have been their daughter, Nicole, who disappeared with the founder of the Genesis community. He sets sail to find the truth and along the way, finds a new love with a young journalist, Jacki, who is also seeki
Jill Manske
Feb 05, 2012 Jill Manske rated it it was ok
Wow. If you are not knowledgeable about and in love with sailing, skip this book. It is so full of excruciating detail, that it's like swimming in molasses. The plot is weak, the characters are very one-dimensional, and the dialog is too predictable. Just a very weird book. Although the last 150 pages are better, it's not worth slogging through the rest of it. I borrowed it from our library (thank goodness!), and someone had written in the inside cover, "Too much ocean". Yes, indeed.
Dwarf
Nov 25, 2011 Dwarf rated it did not like it
Sad to say but I realy hated this book.
The book was filled with misconceptions, a porly made attack to the ambientalists, poorly made characters and a trivial romance. I don't know if I disliked the book cuz I like Cornwell and read almost all his books before read this one, and since it was a early work it felt realy poorly writen.
If you like sea histories and Sharp I realy recomend reading the "master and comander" "Albrey & Marturin" series by Patrick O'Brian.
M.D. Vance
Jul 19, 2012 M.D. Vance rated it really liked it
I read Stormchild several years back, but ran across it, and wanted to add it to my reviews.

Cornwell is much better known for his Sharpe series and other historical fiction, but the few times he's come back to this mainstream fiction, I've really loved it.

The story and characters are well laid out, and the backdrop of the sea and sailing was mesmorizing to me (I love the ocean).
Caralyn Rubli
Dec 30, 2014 Caralyn Rubli rated it liked it
Nothing to say. Pretty good!
Chris Sunderland
Dec 02, 2013 Chris Sunderland rated it really liked it
One of my favorite authors, Andy Andrews, recommended this author as a great example on how to write stories well. I enjoyed my first read of his work. He develops a very good story line, filled with action, character development. His choice of adjectives is awesome--he places you right in the middle of the story. I am impressed with his writing skills.
Bob Harris
Jan 16, 2014 Bob Harris rated it really liked it
Another wohnderful tale of the sea. Very tragic and dark.
Frances
Dec 16, 2009 Frances rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
The man can write a book. I have preordered his next one, and if I can locate the third book he wrote about sailing, I will have read them all. I have never given less than four stars to his books, although the ones involving English history are my favorites. I would recommend all his books to everyone, and just wish he would write more.
Sondra
Sep 19, 2013 Sondra rated it really liked it
Shelves: junk-food-novels
Thought I didn't like this author... My mistake. The only thing that I don't like is sexist mentality of the main character. I mean, he's not a bad guy, but dudes who like their women weak, young, and submissive give me the frickin heebie-jeebies. Reminds me of a lot of older guys though, so it's realistic?
Melissa Bruner
Apr 07, 2008 Melissa Bruner rated it really liked it
Good, solid storytelling. I'm rarely disappointed in a Bernard Cornwell novel. Not his best, but not his worst either. I love the interplay between the British personality and the American. There's a right proper evil villain and lots of yachting, which makes me happy. A good read.
Hilary Browning
May 29, 2015 Hilary Browning rated it it was amazing
Just so enjoyed this action packed book...disappointed to have finished it..
Sam
Jul 08, 2011 Sam rated it it was ok
Shelves: thrillers
A witless dad having a mid life crisis ,a deranged daughter ,an eco terrorist group and a young weird vegan female who does not like guns and loves sprouts .Had to struggle to finish this one.Can be avoided.
Tolga
Mar 31, 2013 Tolga rated it really liked it
I finished this book rather quickly. It is a combination of multiple things that made me like it: sailing, fatherhood, daughter, travel, fail-and-recover, perseverance, and absurdity of eco-terrorism.
Colin Williams
First Bernard Cornwell novel I have read and I loved it. It was gripping and well thought out. The characters all fitted in well and the ening in particular was pleasing.
  • Hungry as the Sea
  • A Ship Must Die
  • Betrayal (Kydd Sea Adventures, #13)
  • Sad Wind from the Sea
  • Spy Games
  • By Force of Arms (Isaac Biddlecomb, #1)
  • All Due Respect
  • Wake of the Perdido Star
  • Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)
  • The Last Place God Made
  • Lake of Fire
  • This Thing of Darkness
  • The Incredible Voyage
  • Gold Diggers: Striking it Rich in the Klondike
  • Rising Sun
  • The Darkest Place
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother, who was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his mother's maiden name, C ...more
More about Bernard Cornwell...

Thrillers (5 books)