Start by marking “Stormchild” as Want to Read:
Stormchild

Stormchild (Thrillers #4)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  531 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Focussing on the blind passion of an obsessive dream, this work presents the story of a quest, of a man's search for his missing daughter - and to prove his daughter's innocence from involvement in her mother's murder. And he is no ordinary man - for he is famous as a world-class yachtsman.
Paperback
Published August 17th 1993 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Stormchild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormchild

Kate Quinn
Bernard Cornwell is better known for his historicals, but he has an excellent smaller series of modern sea-faring thrillers. "Stormchild" is the best of them, following the desperate search of a father for his daughter. Tim is a deep-water sailor and Stormchild is his boat; he has lost his son to an Army accident and his wife to a bomb, and he is determined to find his daughter Nicole, the one member of his family still alive. Nicole has disappeared into a cult-like group of environmental fanati ...more
Marilyn
Great author!
Kind of like Dick Francis only in the boating/sailing arena. Intense excitement.
Graham
One of Cornwell's contemporary seafaring thrillers, STORMCHILD contains the best and worst of his thriller writing. It's a sometimes frustrating beast that nonetheless has the kind of gutsy and compelling storytelling that makes all of this writer's books winners. There are big flaws, yes, but in the end Cornwell's style wins out.

The story is typical for these thriller stories; the hero is an alpha type who likes sailing his yachts around the world, a thinly disguised fictional version of the au
Jeff Yoak
Stormchild is my favorite Bernard Cornwell novel yet!

All of Cornwell's normal virtues are present -- great characterization, a thrilling plot, action that keeps you on the edge of your seat, and several weakness typical of his novels are completely reversed. Typically, I find his novels to be slow starters, for instance. By contrast, 20 minutes into Stormchild I was sniffling and wishing for revenge.

Stormchild is one of Cornwell's stand-alone sailing novels. These novels in general seem to be pa
Peter
Over the years I have read a fair number of Cornwell's historical novels and have always enjoyed them but this the first of his stand alone sailing books that I've read so was curious to see how they would compare and on the whole I was reasonably pleased with it.

The story revolves around an aging,reasonably well known (in sailing circles at least)lone sailor Tim Blackburn who after his wife dies in an explosion on a yacht sails off in search of his daughter, another competant sailor, who has di
Mary Wagner
Dec 12, 2010 Mary Wagner rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: suspense and fiction fans
Recommended to Mary by: I found it by chance
This is another of those books I go back to every few years, this one to revel in the author's love of the ocean and craft for bringing you on board a sailboat in rough seas. This was the first Bernard Cornwell novel I ever picked up, and it's one of his few stand-alone sailing thrillers--he's more famous for historical series. It tells the tale of a father who's son is dead in the Falklands and his wife has died in a boat explosion, and he must find his remaining child who has taken up with a b ...more
Gerald Matzke
This was the first Cornwell book that I have read that was not an historical novel. It was a real thriller. I found it hard to put down. It was obviously written by someone who knew a lot about sailing. I was a bit frustrated by all of the sailing lingo because I know nothing about it. It would have been good to have a picture of the boat with all of the parts identified. Someone into sailing would enjoy this book much more than I did. It was an exciting story though.
Daniel
Another style. I think you have to get used to it.
Trisha
Good story - of the sea, a fanatical community and a journey from England to South America by yacht.
tim Blackburn's wife is killed as she sails their boat out of the English Channel - later it is discovered that a bomb had been planted on the boat.
The realisation comes to Tim that it could have been their daughter, Nicole, who disappeared with the founder of the Genesis community. He sets sail to find the truth and along the way, finds a new love with a young journalist, Jacki, who is also seeki
Jill Manske
Wow. If you are not knowledgeable about and in love with sailing, skip this book. It is so full of excruciating detail, that it's like swimming in molasses. The plot is weak, the characters are very one-dimensional, and the dialog is too predictable. Just a very weird book. Although the last 150 pages are better, it's not worth slogging through the rest of it. I borrowed it from our library (thank goodness!), and someone had written in the inside cover, "Too much ocean". Yes, indeed.
Dwarf
Sad to say but I realy hated this book.
The book was filled with misconceptions, a porly made attack to the ambientalists, poorly made characters and a trivial romance. I don't know if I disliked the book cuz I like Cornwell and read almost all his books before read this one, and since it was a early work it felt realy poorly writen.
If you like sea histories and Sharp I realy recomend reading the "master and comander" "Albrey & Marturin" series by Patrick O'Brian.
M.D. Vance
I read Stormchild several years back, but ran across it, and wanted to add it to my reviews.

Cornwell is much better known for his Sharpe series and other historical fiction, but the few times he's come back to this mainstream fiction, I've really loved it.

The story and characters are well laid out, and the backdrop of the sea and sailing was mesmorizing to me (I love the ocean).
Chris Sunderland
One of my favorite authors, Andy Andrews, recommended this author as a great example on how to write stories well. I enjoyed my first read of his work. He develops a very good story line, filled with action, character development. His choice of adjectives is awesome--he places you right in the middle of the story. I am impressed with his writing skills.
Bob Harris
Another wohnderful tale of the sea. Very tragic and dark.
Frances Fuller
The man can write a book. I have preordered his next one, and if I can locate the third book he wrote about sailing, I will have read them all. I have never given less than four stars to his books, although the ones involving English history are my favorites. I would recommend all his books to everyone, and just wish he would write more.
Sondra
Thought I didn't like this author... My mistake. The only thing that I don't like is sexist mentality of the main character. I mean, he's not a bad guy, but dudes who like their women weak, young, and submissive give me the frickin heebie-jeebies. Reminds me of a lot of older guys though, so it's realistic?
Melissa Bruner
Good, solid storytelling. I'm rarely disappointed in a Bernard Cornwell novel. Not his best, but not his worst either. I love the interplay between the British personality and the American. There's a right proper evil villain and lots of yachting, which makes me happy. A good read.
Sam
A witless dad having a mid life crisis ,a deranged daughter ,an eco terrorist group and a young weird vegan female who does not like guns and loves sprouts .Had to struggle to finish this one.Can be avoided.
Tolga
I finished this book rather quickly. It is a combination of multiple things that made me like it: sailing, fatherhood, daughter, travel, fail-and-recover, perseverance, and absurdity of eco-terrorism.
Colin Williams
First Bernard Cornwell novel I have read and I loved it. It was gripping and well thought out. The characters all fitted in well and the ening in particular was pleasing.
Tim
While this was apparently one of Cornwell's early novels (1993), the story and characters held my interest from beginning to end. Very exciting and very well written.
Suzette
Excellent read the story covers adventure relationships and emotional turmoil. Cornwall knows how to keep you turning the pages
Bluto87
Love this whole genre of books by Bernard. Lots of good twists and turns without stretching credulity.
Marija
I was totally unfamiliar with the idea of ​​environmental extremism/terrorism. Great book!
Tom
Much different than the Sharpe, Saxon and Starbuck books I've read and a good change of pace.
Eric_W
I love Cornwell but this is an early work and I don;t think one of his better efforts.
Elaine H
Mehh

Not too great, but I don't like love stories too much.
Karen
I really like Cornwell's writing. Not deep but good writing!
Chris
I really liked this one, bit hard emotionally, but great twists!
Earthwatchaddict
He really is the Dick Francis of the sailing world.
  • A Ship Must Die
  • The Crystal Skull
  • Hungry As The Sea
  • Earthworks
  • By Force of Arms (Isaac Biddlecomb, #1)
  • The Fall of Rome: A Novel of a World Lost
  • Wake of the Perdido Star
  • The Book of Secrets
  • The Good Shepherd
  • Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)
  • The Darkest Place
  • This Thing of Darkness
  • The Incredible Voyage
  • Palladion
  • The Last Place God Made
  • Adventures of a Sea Hunter: In Search of Famous Shipwrecks
  • Il ritorno (La saga di Claire Randall,  #3)
  • Final Theory (Final Theory, #1)
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his mother's maiden name, Cornwe ...more
More about Bernard Cornwell...
The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1) The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles, #1) The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2) Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3) The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)