Start by marking “McNally's Caper ” as Want to Read:
McNally's Caper

McNally's Caper (Archy McNally #4)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,470 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
In a low-down, high society caper, suave and sexy sleuth Archie McNally investigates a family as mysterious as the House of Usher -- but twice as twisted...
Published January 1st 1995 by Berkley (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about McNally's Caper, please sign up.

Martha Morrison Steve Hamilton writes mystery books about the upper Michigan area and a cop turned private citizen named Alex McKnight. The series is very good. I…moreSteve Hamilton writes mystery books about the upper Michigan area and a cop turned private citizen named Alex McKnight. The series is very good. I think you might enjoy them.(less)

Shishir
Nov 13, 2009 Shishir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witty
Archy McNally rocks! I love the way this series has been written - the wit is super and the language pretty darn good.
Chuck
Sep 23, 2014 Chuck rated it really liked it
One of the greatest joys of reading is when you pick up a book that you have no idea who the author is and have no idea what the story is about. That was the circumstance here when I picked up this book off the shelf at a thrift store for less than a dollar and started to read. This book is a mystery, but includes the gift of having a very funny and clever author. The plot is a fairly typical whodunnit out of a group of many potentially guilty parties. But the imaginative behavior and the clever ...more
John
Feb 04, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Great read to escape into another time and place. Humorous and philosophical look at class structure, what money creates and relationships.
Joe Baganski
Apr 25, 2013 Joe Baganski rated it liked it
Enjoyable quick read. Great prose with a fantastic vocabulary.
Sharyn
Jun 23, 2015 Sharyn rated it liked it
Number 4 in the series. I have been reading it for a few weeks in between my turn while bowling. Decided today to finally finish it, so a 2 book day. Archy McNally is one of the funniest characters to be the hero of a mystery series. He plays dumb, dresses loudly, is constantly unfaithful to his girlfriend (though the sex is very off screen)and lives with his parents in a large house in Palm Beach. The solution to this mystery, a murder, was interesting, as one of the planners can not be proven. ...more
Timothy
Aug 23, 2016 Timothy rated it liked it
Like the last McNally novel I read, (Gamble), it starts slowly, but when everything transpired it was top of the notch.
Also, the most Intresting character of the Forsythe Manor would be Lucy. Sanders wrote a well rounded character with this intelligent child, the scenes with her and Archy really showed off his good side.
George Henry
Jul 05, 2016 George Henry rated it really liked it
My second Archy McNally book and another enjoyable one. Archy investigates the theft of items at the Forsythe manse in his usual breezy style, becomes involved its odd collection of inhabitants (one of them an insatiable woman) and solves a murder and the thefts. All good fun.
Tobie
Feb 23, 2015 Tobie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good McNally mystery. As always, too much sex for my taste. I can't believe so many woman are attracted to this guy, but I'm not the writer. Archie is a bit of a misogynist, but the mysteries are clever. If you like the rat pack I think you'll like this series.
John Grazide
Jun 26, 2016 John Grazide rated it really liked it
What can we say at this point? Sander's use of the language is most likely the reason I read. The stories themselves are good, but the way they are told is so much fun. I'll really have to try some of his earlier stories.
Lawrence
Sep 14, 2016 Lawrence rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not up to the standards of the rest of the series, Archie seems a bit slow in solving the crimes, maybe if He did not sleep with every female in the book, He would do better. The plot was weak too.
Murrill
Jun 29, 2014 Murrill rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The books in this series are my reprieves from serious reading. The main character is witty, smart, and entertaining, and there is always a good mystery involved.
Wysteria
Feb 01, 2012 Wysteria rated it it was ok
Another Archy McNally book and I still can't figure out where the appeal lies. Is it because Archy lives the life we can only dream of? Or is it the gratuitous descriptions of Archy's vast wardrobe choices, including but definitely not limited to such awesome sartorial pics as a purple silk suit and white broges. I don't even remember the basis of the plot line for this novel, honestly. It was pretty similar to every other McNally book I've read though, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. ...more
Lee
Oct 09, 2014 Lee rated it liked it
A fun read as always with McNally series. Nothing specially mystifying but a good quick summer read.
June Ahern
Apr 18, 2013 June Ahern rated it it was amazing
I listened to "McNally's Caper", read by Adam Henderson and laughed my way through the who-done-it! Yes, it is silly, fun and enjoyable. I've read many of Lawrence Sanders' novels and enjoyed them at different degrees. The narrator in this caper brought personalities into colorful life. I didn't figure out the villain as quite a few of the could-have-done-it were high on my list. I got lost in their wickedness as equally in the suave, sex driven sleuth Archy McNally. Will look for more on audio ...more
Martha Morrison
Feb 23, 2016 Martha Morrison rated it really liked it
I enjoy all the Lawrence Sanders books and in particular the Archy McNally ones.
David Reynolds
May 20, 2014 David Reynolds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! Archy is very funny!!
Strega
Jan 11, 2016 Strega rated it liked it
These aren't "the great American novel" but they're fun reads
Shaynipper
May 06, 2015 Shaynipper rated it liked it
I really like Archy McNally
Reed Galen
Dec 17, 2015 Reed Galen rated it really liked it
Classic McNally romp through Palm Beach.
Lucy
"The rain had stopped by Sunday morning but the sky still had the color and texture of a Pittsburgh sidewalk" (65).

"It merely confirmed my belief, previously propounded, that the world is a nuthouse run by the inmates" (75).

"There I go again, playing Dr. Sigmund F. What the hell do I know? Get too involved in psychoanalysis and you'll hesitate to eat a banana" (286).
Greg
May 23, 2016 Greg rated it liked it
Good entertaining read
Tracy
Jul 05, 2016 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
A funny who-done-it. This was a good "beach read" for the summer.
Michele
May 10, 2016 Michele rated it it was ok
Did not like the hero of the story. And very predictable.
Carolynn
Feb 20, 2014 Carolynn rated it it was ok
it's an "ok" book but nothing I would recommend. A little like a really bad soap opera!
Kurt Young
Jul 21, 2012 Kurt Young rated it liked it
Sanders' gag for the McNally books is writing in a florid prose that would fit in quite naturally for a character and book written in 1920's England. The goof is the character and story is set in present day West Palm Beach.

"Caper" isn't bad, and while the style amuses for awhile it just becomes a weighty drag.
John
Oct 04, 2010 John rated it really liked it
Good McNally book, although these books are starting to seem quite formulaic. I'll try a few more, but hope they're different. Archy is every man's hero when it comes to sexual escapades and relationships, his style of dress sounds very metrosexual, at best.
Alex
Another book that has mysteriously fallen off my list. I read it way back my first Christmas in SF. I remember one thing about it: It said that few strangulation victims are ever killed by women. (Women don't have strong enough muscles in the hands.)
Ron Roberts
May 19, 2016 Ron Roberts rated it really liked it
Another fun Archy McNally
Barbara
Jan 26, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it
I learned AGAIN that Lawrence Sanders is one of my favorite authors. His Archy character is great. Wit and turn of phrase keeps the reader smiling. Sounds like someone you could actually know.
Jaymark
Apr 22, 2013 Jaymark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Finally completed re-reading this! It was a fun read, the characters in this book were very funny. The story was not that exciting but the dialogues were very enjoyable.
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #10)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
  • The Bishop in the West Wing (Blackie Ryan, #14)
  • If Death Ever Slept (Nero Wolfe, #29)
  • The Alpine Scandal (Emma Lord, #19)
  • Romance (87th Precinct, #47)
  • Knot the Usual Suspects (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery #5)
  • Weep No More, My Lady / Stillwatch / A Cry in the Night
  • Murder Ties the Knot
  • Three Complete Novels: A is for Alibi / B is for Burglar / C is for Corpse
  • Scrapbook of the Dead
  • The Queen Jade: A Novel
  • A Dismal Thing to Do
  • Knot Guilty (Crochet Mystery, #9)
  • Booked for Trouble (Lighthouse Library Mystery #2)
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with
More about Lawrence Sanders...

Archy McNally (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • McNally's Secret
  • McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)
  • McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)
  • McNally's Trial
  • McNally's Puzzle
  • McNally's Gamble
  • McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)
  • McNally's Folly
  • McNally's Chance (Archy McNally, #10)
  • McNally's Alibi