McNally's Puzzle

McNally's Puzzle (Arch McNally #6)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,097 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Hiram Gottschalk is a wealthy widower with a paranoid son and heir, twisted twin daughters, and shady employees. Owner of bird store Parrots Unlimited, he hires Archy McNally and sidekick Binky for protection. But he is stabbed in his sleep; two clerks are killed in the Everglades. Who has the motive?
Paperback, Large Print, 343 pages
Published February 1st 1997 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1996)

Aiisa
funny, would read more books by this author
Mary
Jul 13, 2013 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Bird store owner Hiram Gottschalk is a wealthy widower with a paranoid son and heir, twisted twin daughters, and shady employees. As the owner of Parrots Unlimited, Hiram believes that his life is in danger, so he hires playboy-turned-Palm Beach private investigator Archy McNally and his sidekick Binky to protect him. Apparently Hiram had good reason to be frightened, Archy soon realizes - when the bird shop owner's mutilated body is found sometime later.

Hiram has been stabbed in his sleep, so A...more
Dana
Wealthy bird shop owner, Hiram Gottschalk feels his life is threatened. He can not contact the police because there are no definite threats. The Gottschalk are to say it mildly dysfunctional. The son and heir is mentally unstable and the twin daughters are very twisted and not at all nice. To round out the menagerie there is the housekeeper who could organize the military and the manager of the bird shop who makes Archy look slovenly.

I found this one a bit repetitive. The first 25 pages were the...more
el_quijote
Jan 08, 2010 el_quijote rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Murder mystery fans.
Shelves: mystery
Writing mystery novels is certainly not new to Lawrence Sanders. The frontispiece is loaded with the titles of past books and the dust jacket proclaims Mr. Sanders as a writer with a large following. This is the first novel I have read by Mr. Sanders and I can proclaim that he has another fan.
McNally’s Puzzle is one of a series of fiction mystery novels that follow the exploits of Archibald McNally, investigator and bon vivant extraordinaire. Mr. Sanders has created a likable, light character...more
Heather
Feb 08, 2009 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Bertie Wooster fans
There is a lot more emphasis here on "look how clever a writer I am" than on the plot, or even the characters. Writing loses points with me when it has to draw attention to itself.

And I just can't get behind the McNally books. The style is far more Wodehouse than McBain. Archy and his foppish circle belong in the Roaring 20s, not the 1990s, and it is inconceivable to me that anyone like this could exist in the last couple of decades, let alone interact successfully with the normal contemporaries...more
Margaret Blackman
Great series to lose yourself in, take to the bath tub, escape from life for awhile.

Written in similar style to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series, Archy McNally and Wolfe's Archie Goodwin must be cousins.

Usually a couple of twists to take the reader by surprise, pull up your coffee mug, or pour the Calgon, or take to your lawn chair and enjoy the ride in Archy's red Miata.

(as a pet lover, I do have issues with Hobo's living accomodations, but commend the McNallys for making a shelter adoption.)
Mary
I'm a big fan of Archie - he's such a flip guy and I relate to him even better now that I reside in southern Florida (constantly reread the books for fun - "one never knows, do one!"). I must admit that Lawrence Sanders only produced one other series I found worth reading and that's his character Timothy Cone. I am in the market for a first of "The Timothy Files" if anyone out there has one for sale. I'm not interested in any of "in the style of Saunders" Archie books - sorry, it's just not the...more
Lois Lewandowski
This book was exactly what I wanted to read when I started it: A quirky, fast paced mystery with a unique protagonist. Archy McNally is a bit of a player, certainly a narcissist. He has a wardrobe to rival most women and Sanders' descriptions of how he uses the clothes to project a certain persona or mood were very funny. The plot is not very deep, but the book was truly delightful, full of characters one might meet in Miami.
Linda
I love these books! The vocabulary of the main character, Archie McNally, is a challenge to read, but I love it. I read as much for the vocabulary as for the plot. This book happens to involve a bird-store owner, his family and employees, and they all could be "the culprit" who murdered the owner. The story is good, and I would recommend this for a fun read.
Jackie
Love the shenanigans of Archy McNally, especially as he solves the murder of Hiram Gottschalk! His involvement in the dysfunctional family to his personal tiff with his on going “love” Connie that tangles the web of mystery. Fun and easy to read-except for the flowery vocabulary- especially recouping from back surgery. Laughter is good medicine.
Gosia
It was an ok book. The writing was interesting and amusing at some points but also made some references to things that were over my head and not my generation. It could be compared as the male version of the Stephanie Plum series (however, Plum series is much better in my opinion). The plot was pretty predictable but the writing kept it interesting.
John
The story kept me hooked until the end. I loved the writing style however I felt I needed a dictionary for the various obscure words thrown in. I also love the characters Sanders creates especially the snarky Archie. The only thing that bothered me was all of the alcohol consumed. Does anyone really drink that much and not end up with liver disease.
John
Great story, clear and generally believable. Archy can be pretty tough on Binky, he puts him down a lot. I wish Archy didn't dress like such a metrosexual/gay, I wish he didn't smoke and his eating habits are beyond me. Other than that, he's my idol. Well, I'm glad I don't live with my parents, too.
Virginia Markhart
This book was very good. It kept my attention well. The style was very different and I had to pay attention. It took me a long time to read it, not because I wasn't interested, but I had a lot going on. I liked the relationship between the father and son. I loved the new pet, HOBO, the hero!!
Ginny
Archy McNally is back, the spoiled playboy of South Florida who seems to solve mysteries in spite of himself and his inept sidekick Binky. I did say they were the spoiled rich of the Florida coast. What I learned is that nobody can actually talk and dress like they do and live in the real world.
Eileen Ptacek
I couldn't wait to read this because my husband laughed out loud the whole time he was reading. What a disappointment. Protagonist lives with his parents and is very self obsessed. I couldn't wait to be done with the book. I won't bother to read another of this series.
Benjamin
I work in a fake office. There are books in it as props. One day I got bored and read one of the props. It was mostly stupid and I can't believe that McNally is as popular a character as he is.
Julie C-f
I almost have all McNally books and though the plots are basically the same, and the food, clothes and homes described in details, I still feel that more of these should be written.
Beverly
Oct 30, 2007 Beverly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone
The McNally series is always a treat. I have read almost every book, and still trying to find a couple. Also listened to a few on the audiobooks format, which fulfilled my imagine of Archy.
Jim
An enjoyable yet campy mystery tale of murder, with a quirky leading character that eventually (and accidentally?) unravels the unknown. Good for a weekend of relaxing reading.
Kelly Crigger
Very good book. Kept me engaged the whole way and introduced me to a new kind of father-son relationship that I didn't think existed...and sincerely hope doesn't.
Ross
I've determined that although I like Lawrence Sanders' books in general, I'm not a big fan of the McNally series. This is probably the last McNally novel I will read.
Linda
Abridged audio book I got in the proverbial library book sale. Enjoyable listening in the car. I'm not sure an unabridged version would have been any better.
Jeff
Recently suggested by a friend this is my first by this writer. I will surely add him to my list of to read authors. Fun beginning to end.
Joe Baganski
Another amusing entry in the McNally saga. Absolutely love the prose - has me reaching for my dictionary from time to time!
Shishir
Archy McNally rocks! I love the way this series has been written - the wit is super and the language pretty darn good.
Judy
Just a fun read. And I can see why Mrs. McNally adores her son and Mr. McNally is tried by Archy on a daily basis.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Archy McNally and family; search for murderer of parrot store proprietor
Cindy
I didn't care for the characters and the puzzel wasn't as mysterious as the author seemed to think.
John
Terrible and somehow charming. Reads like it was written by Sebastian Flyte, or Aloysius.
  • The Shaman's Game
  • Loot
  • Bell, Book, and Scandal (Jane Jeffry, #14)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • A Killer Collection (A Collectible Mystery, #1)
  • True Crime
  • One Last Dance
  • Monet Talks (Den of Antiquity, #12)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch, #11)
  • The Silver Ghost (Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn Mystery #8)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • Guilt by Association
Lawrence Sanders (1920–1998) was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with his acclaimed Commandment books....more
More about Lawrence Sanders...
The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2) McNally's Secret The Third Deadly Sin Second Deadly Sin The Fourth Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #5)