Start by marking “Innocent In Death (In Death, #24)” as Want to Read:
Innocent In Death (In Death, #24)

Innocent In Death (In Death #24)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  15,484 ratings  ·  525 reviews
View our feature on J.D. Robb’s Eve Dallas series.

The phenomenal series set in a future New York City continues, as Lieutenant Eve Dallas hunts for the killer of a seemingly ordinary history teacher-and uncovers some extraordinary surprises.

Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Published August 28th 2007 by Berkley (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Innocent In Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innocent In Death

Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~
Although I'm an absolute fan of this series, I'll be the first to admit the majority of the "whodunnits" in the books are relatively easy to figure out before the halfway point. However, Innocent In Death was a nice change. There were so many possible suspects going in so many different directions I was never quite sure who could have killed the innocent Craig Foster. The fact that throughout the story Eve herself couldn't even pinpoint a motive only added to the mystery's mystery!! When I final ...more
Holly
I decided to re-read this book after a discussion about it on Twitter. This was the last In Death book I really loved. Though I've enjoyed some of her other latest releases, none have touched me as much as this one.

I figured out early in who the killer was the first time I read it, but it was still chilling. While the case was interesting and the direction Robb took us for the killer unique, it was the relationship aspects that really grabbed me.

It's no secret that my favorite books in the serie
It probably means there's something wrong with me but it was good to see a bit of a shake-up in Eve and Roarke's relationship. The introduction of Magdelena, Roarke's reaction, then Eve's reaction to his, and most of all, Summerset's, somehow...it was just all really, really good. There was some really genuine emotion going on, as usual for her books with these characters. But deeper, sadder, more difficult. For the first half of the book at least, the murder seemed almost a distraction from the ...more
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
Roarke vs. Magdalena:"Listen carefully. I'd crush you like a bug for causing my wife one single moment of pain. Believe it. Fear it." ....

Any threat to Eve, whether it be emotional or physical, sure brings out Scary Roarke with a vengenance. Yeah, Roarke was a blind fool at first when it came to Magdalena, but he came to his senses and when he finally saw through Maggie's farce he didn't hold back one bit on his wrath.

Eve vs. Magdalena: I had no doubt Eve would come out swinging, literally. In
Jennifer Wardrip
I've said before that the "...IN DEATH" series by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) is my all-time favorite series, and after 24 books, that still holds true.

With INNOCENT IN DEATH, I spent as much time crying over the emotional disturbance between my favorite couple, Eve Dallas and Roarke, as I did trying to find out who committed the crimes.

When a likeable, all-around good guy teacher at a private school ends up dead, poisoned by ricin in his hot chocolate, the school is in shock. Eve immediately
Kristen
This series by Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb are great if you like an action/murder/suspense story with just a little hot romance thrown in for good measure.

Eve Dallas is a complex, interesting, but flawed character. A hard as nails homicide cop who is excellent at solving murders, but has a past filled with the ghosts of an abusive childhood.

With Roarke - her sexy as anything, former crook, turned legitimate billionaire husband - helping her out when needed with his "unique" knowledge of cr
Amy

Probably the best and most gut-wrenching book in the series that I have read to date. The murder plot was fantastic and the personal struggles that Roarke and Eve faced really brought their relationship to a new level. "The look" literally killed me as much as it did Eve. I admit my stomach was in knots and this story brought me to tears more than once. I've never seen Eve so vulnerable and Roarke such a bloody oblivious ass! This story is some of J.D. Robb's best work and there is no better way
Jen
Eve and Roarke

One of my favorite books in the series. Magdelana was huge pain in the rear and it was painful yet compelling to watch Eve and Roarke stumble their way through her.

I had an idea who the killer was pretty early on but it was still quite chilling to hear the confession at the end. Very sick.
Polluxa
Dec 09, 2008 Polluxa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I'm not sure why I keep reading this series. I don't really read romance and the murder mysteries in this series are nothing compared to Doyle's or Christie's. But, damn it, I'm hooked.
Alexis
Dec 04, 2008 Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of JD Robb or other homicide mystery series
If you've read any book in this series before, you know Lieutenant Eve Dallas is a homicide cop in New York City about fifty years in the future. This time around, Eve has caught a case that seems to have no motive and no suspect. Who would kill a much-loved grade school history teacher? But someone has killed him, and Eve will find out who and why. And while all this is going on, she's dealing with a woman from her husband, Roarke's, past - a woman who actually mattered.

As usual, J.D. Robb/Nor
rivka
Bakudis

OWW Roarke you make Eve so sad, i feel her heart broke and hurt so much and little bit suprised that Roarke got serious relationship with OW the evil Magdalena (first love) before Eve.

“First, it’s not your concern, and don’t even think about raising that fist to me. This is my doing, her coming here, her causing troubl
Bigd_041555
How do you spell evil? I spell it "Raylene Straffo"!

I love this book for many different reasons - a horrible psychopathic child and a woman who strives to be the number one home wrecker - both of whom are extremely spoiled!

Two very good story lines with interconnecting or would that be parallel meanings/morals.

Once again we see how human our main characters are - 2 thumbs up and 5 stars!

Now a break from the series, first with Bones of the Lost by Kathy Reichs, then Never Go Back by Lee Child.

Onc
Sabrina
This is, to date, the best book of the series. Whereas Born in Death is sort of light-hearted, this book has challenging subject matter. It is a credit to Roberts' writing that her characters are so realistic to me that I cried through a good bit of the middle of the book. Skip some of the other books in the series, but this is one you just do not want to miss.
Patricia
Craig Foster, a history teacher at a posh private school in NYC, is at his desk eating his home-prepared lunch and constructing a pop quiz for his next class. He’s young, dedicated and enthusiastic about his job. He is a newlywed, happy in his marriage to a woman who is lovely in both face and personality.

And Craig Foster is now dead at his desk. Actually, he only started dying at his desk. His actual last few minutes alive were spent trying to crawl, against agonizing abdominal pain, to the doo
MostlyDelores
I found this to be the most disturbing of all the Eve Dallas books. It stuck with me for a long time.
Anyone who reads my blog or follows me on Goodreads knows that I have been steadily working my way through the In Death series this year. While I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every single one and given them either 4 or 4.5 star reviews for the most part, I hadn't yet found one that ranked 5 stars for me. Well, that finally happened when I got deep into the twenty-fourth installment, Innocent in Death. It had everything that I wanted from this series and I am still thinking about it almost two ...more
Kris
On a whim, I decided to check out a book for the Kindle from the library. I've tried checking out ebooks from the library before but had so much trouble with the whole PDF thing on my ereaders. I figured I'd give it one more shot. Choosing a book that is 24th in a series could have been disastrous, I know, but I think it turned out pretty good.

I really, really enjoyed this book. So much so that I literally stayed up until 4:30 in the morning reading it! Yes, I turned uber book geek for a day rea
Sharal Hunter
I'm not sure if WOW sums up effectively the reactions and feelings this book brought out of me. This installment so far has to be the most shocking out of the entire series. Eve has seen her share of the evil in the world. She has lived through it and survived it and brought so many of the perpetrators of evil to justice. The identity of this villain comes as a major shock and surprise to everyone around Eve, but not Eve. Nothing shocks or surprises her when it comes to the evil in people. But s ...more
Gina
Another excellent book in the series!

The plot was well written, and I found it just as difficult to swallow as the characters in the book. I really liked that.

The side plot was excellent as well. A couple needs a fight every now and again, and I'm glad it turned out the way it did, I think, for both, Eve and Roarke.

Peabody and McNabb are their usual selves, and the, um, 'struggles' I guess you could say, between Eve and Summerset - in this book, Fantastic!

This is definitely a series you need to
Maria
Definitely a hard-to-put-down book. Eve catches a case and is put off her stride from the beginning by the reappearance in Roarke's life of an old flame, Magdalena. Hurting, while the reader hurts right along with her, Eve tries to concentrate on the case but finds it difficult to impossible. The solution to the case and the way Roarke deals with Magdalena are great moments, but Eve must feel like Cassandra, trying to get people to listen to her with no one paying attention. Once she does get th ...more
Büşra Bal
Bitirmeyeceğime söz verdim ama yemedi. Eve Dallas'tan 14 kitap okudum sanırım,en iyisi buydu. En en en iyisiydi. Hem romantik yönüyle hem de polisiye kısmıyla.

Craig isminde bir öğretmen zehirlenerek öldürülüyor ve Eve davayı alıyor, adamın sicili kusursuz,düşmanı yok,kimsenin zarar vermek istemeyeceği türden biri o yüzden katilini bulmak,hatta şüpheli bile bulmak hayli zor oluyor.

Eve davayla uğraşırken bir yandan da kocasının ex-s.rtüğüyle uğraşmak zorunda. Tabirimi hoş görün kadından nefret e
Michael
Being the good librarian that I am, I thought it would behoove me to read an author I'm constantly cataloging, Nora Roberts. I sort of copped out, though, since I chose her futuristic crime series over her straight romances. And you know what, this book was kind of fun to read, even if it is a formula police procedural.

I knock off a star for the seemingly arbitrary time setting of this series. There's really no look into the implications of living in 2060, other than adding some slang terms and
~Megan~
This book had so many disturbing elements in it, but it turned out to be one of my favorites in the series so far. First of all, the mystery plot in this one starts out as the same old thing, but takes a turn toward the end into something extremely horrifying. I don't think anyone was expecting who the killer was, nor the motives behind the murders.

On the emotional front, this book was a gut-wrencher. An old flame of Roarke's comes back to town and wreaks havoc with our couple. This is really t
Jane Lee
If there's one thing that most of the people I love know about me, it's the fact that I have some inane affinity for murder and escapism. With J.D. Robb's In Death series, I can accomplish both with a few extra glimpse in romance to boot.

Set in a future with technological advances greater than we could ever imagine, I have fun envisioning myself in any character's shoes, leaning between Peabody and Eve Dallas (as they are my top two favorite characters). If I want to forget my problems, the In D
Steve
Well I just finished reading my first Nora Roberts novel, "Innocent In Death", and I'm thinking it quite probably will be my last. But wait, perhaps I am being unfair: this was not a Nora Roberts novel, it was a Nora Roberts writing as J. D. Robb novel. Maybe those written under her own name are better. Of course this book, I'm sure, would appeal to a number of people. If you like relatively unimaginative stories peopled by exceedingly attractive, infallibly intelligent, tough female cops who a ...more
Tina
This is the 24th book of the In Death Series.

The body young idealistic teacher at a tony private school is found by two young students. The hot chocolate that he imbibed daily was found to be poisoned. Eve catches the case and has a very frustrating time trying figure out whodunit.

The wife of the victim, who prepares his lunch (and the offending cup of chocolate) seems the obvious culprit, but Eve has a hard time with the obvious. The school is a hot bed of sex, blackmail, harassment and any nu
Hali Sowle
Book 24 in the series continues to deliver with both crime and domestic tension reappearing for the first time in a while. A young, idealistic teacher at a posh private school is found dead by two 10 year old students in his classroom. He's well liked, a crazy in love newlywed no one seems to want to do him harm. Meanwhile Eve joins Roarke at dinner with some clients and is given an unpleasant surprise when an old accomplice and paramour of Roarkes' shows up, apparently out of the blue, and for ...more
Taryn Elliott
Elizabeth
persistence 3 64 May 05, 2014 05:58AM
J.D. Robb : Innocent in Death (Spoiler Zone) 36 115 Jan 23, 2014 10:19AM
CASTING CALL: CHA...: August 2012 8 18 Aug 05, 2012 03:37AM
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Brazen Virtue (SS/BV #2)
  • The Interludes (In the company of shadows, #3)
  • Dark Light (Harmony #5)
  • If I Should Die (Lucy Kincaid #3)
  • Dark of Night (Troubleshooters, #14)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“No. No, I don't believe you'd betray me with her. I don't believe you'd cheat on me. But I'm afraid, and I'm sick in my heart that you might look at her, then at me. And regret.” 733 likes
“She stepped forward as if to pick up the fur she'd tossed over a chair. Smoothly, she turned to hand it to him. And with perfect timing, flung herself into his arms.

The sable fell as he took her shoulders to shove her back.

Eve stepped to the doorway to see Magdelana with her arms locked around Roarke's neck, his hands on her bare shoulders--one of the ivory straps sliding to her elbow.

"Son of a bitch," she said.

On cue, Magdelana spun around, her face full of passion and shock. "Oh, God. Oh...it's not what it looks like."

"Bet." Eve strode in.

Actually, Roarke thought, it was more of a swagger. He had a moment to admire it, before Eve rammed her fist in his face.

"Fuck me." His head snapped back, and he tasted blood.

Magdelana cried out, but even the deaf would have caught the suppressed laughter in the sound. "Roarke! Oh, my God, you're bleeding. Please, let me just--"

"Don't look now," Eve said cheerfully. "But he's not the only one." She decked Magdelana with a straight-armed jab. "Bitch," Eve added as Magdelana's eyes rolled back and she fell, unconscious, to the floor.

Roarke looked down. "Well, now, fuck us all.”
42 likes