Start by marking “Innocent In Death (In Death, #24)” as Want to Read:
Innocent In Death (In Death, #24)

Innocent In Death (In Death #24)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,022 Ratings  ·  689 Reviews
New York Lieutenant Eve Dallas doesn't like to see innocent people murdered. And the death of Craig Foster is clearly a murder. He was seemingly ordinary history teacher, but uncovers some extraordinary surprises. Foster's death devastated his young wife, who'd sent him to work that day with a lovingly packed lunch. It shocked his colleagues at the private school, too, and ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Published August 28th 2007 by Berkley (first published 2007)

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~
Although I'm an absolute fan of this series, I'll be the first to admit the majority of the "whodunnits" in the books are relatively easy to figure out before the halfway point. However, Innocent In Death was a nice change. There were so many possible suspects going in so many different directions I was never quite sure who could have killed the innocent Craig Foster. The fact that throughout the story Eve herself couldn't even pinpoint a motive only added to the mystery's mystery!! When I final ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read 11-16 September 2013

2nd read 9-18 January 2016
The kid is the creepiest one I have ever read.
Samantha
Feb 16, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Innocent in Death is number 24 of J.D. Robb’s “In Death” series and my introduction to the books.

It’s the year 2060 and lieutenant Eve Dallas has taken a case involving a young teacher’s murder. The case seems like a standard poisoning, but Eve is having trouble building a good list of possible suspects. The young teacher seemed honestly well liked in the community with no real enemies. On the home front, Eve is battling her own insecurities as an old flame from her husband’s, path has suddenly
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
Roarke vs. Magdalena:"Listen carefully. I'd crush you like a bug for causing my wife one single moment of pain. Believe it. Fear it." ....

Any threat to Eve, whether it be emotional or physical, sure brings out Scary Roarke with a vengenance. Yeah, Roarke was a blind fool at first when it came to Magdalena, but he came to his senses and when he finally saw through Maggie's farce he didn't hold back one bit on his wrath.

Eve vs. Magdalena: I had no doubt Eve would come out swinging, literally. In
Holly
I decided to re-read this book after a discussion about it on Twitter. This was the last In Death book I really loved. Though I've enjoyed some of her other latest releases, none have touched me as much as this one.

I figured out early in who the killer was the first time I read it, but it was still chilling. While the case was interesting and the direction Robb took us for the killer unique, it was the relationship aspects that really grabbed me.

It's no secret that my favorite books in the serie
Jul 11, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It probably means there's something wrong with me but it was good to see a bit of a shake-up in Eve and Roarke's relationship. The introduction of Magdelena, Roarke's reaction, then Eve's reaction to his, and most of all, Summerset's, somehow...it was just all really, really good. There was some really genuine emotion going on, as usual for her books with these characters. But deeper, sadder, more difficult. For the first half of the book at least, the murder seemed almost a distraction from the ...more
Jen
Feb 27, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eve-and-roarke
Eve and Roarke

One of my favorite books in the series. Magdelana was huge pain in the rear and it was painful yet compelling to watch Eve and Roarke stumble their way through her.

I had an idea who the killer was pretty early on but it was still quite chilling to hear the confession at the end. Very sick.
Catherine
Oy, that was a tough one. The crime was ick. Love it!
Jennifer Wardrip
I've said before that the "...IN DEATH" series by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) is my all-time favorite series, and after 24 books, that still holds true.

With INNOCENT IN DEATH, I spent as much time crying over the emotional disturbance between my favorite couple, Eve Dallas and Roarke, as I did trying to find out who committed the crimes.

When a likeable, all-around good guy teacher at a private school ends up dead, poisoned by ricin in his hot chocolate, the school is in shock. Eve immediately
Tina
Mar 05, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
This is the 24th book of the In Death Series.

The body young idealistic teacher at a tony private school is found by two young students. The hot chocolate that he imbibed daily was found to be poisoned. Eve catches the case and has a very frustrating time trying figure out whodunit.

The wife of the victim, who prepares his lunch (and the offending cup of chocolate) seems the obvious culprit, but Eve has a hard time with the obvious. The school is a hot bed of sex, blackmail, harassment and any nu
Kristen
This series by Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb are great if you like an action/murder/suspense story with just a little hot romance thrown in for good measure.

Eve Dallas is a complex, interesting, but flawed character. A hard as nails homicide cop who is excellent at solving murders, but has a past filled with the ghosts of an abusive childhood.

With Roarke - her sexy as anything, former crook, turned legitimate billionaire husband - helping her out when needed with his "unique" knowledge of cr
Bakudis
Jun 29, 2012 Bakudis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

OWW Roarke you make Eve so sad, i feel her heart broke and hurt so much and little bit suprised that Roarke got serious relationship with OW the evil Magdalena (first love) before Eve.

“First, it’s not your concern, and don’t even think about raising that fist to me. This is my doing, her coming here, her causing troubl
Caro
Feb 22, 2016 Caro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-death, own
A really good but horrible one. Tough on emotions, personalities, and basic humanity. Pulls you in and doesn't let go. I laughed, held my breath, had a death grip on the book, had a Take that, Woman! moment, was completely stumped then shocked, dismayed, and overly grateful that this case is done with. Another one that won't be forgotten simply due to the nature of the sin and sinner. This had everything and was written so well that I was completely in the book. Gotta love Mavis, some UnSpooky-l ...more
Amy
Mar 21, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death, audiobooks

Probably the best and most gut-wrenching book in the series that I have read to date. The murder plot was fantastic and the personal struggles that Roarke and Eve faced really brought their relationship to a new level. "The look" literally killed me as much as it did Eve. I admit my stomach was in knots and this story brought me to tears more than once. I've never seen Eve so vulnerable and Roarke such a bloody oblivious ass! This story is some of J.D. Robb's best work and there is no better way
Angela James
This has always been one of my favorite In Death books, because the appearance of Magdalena and the interpersonal tension between Eve and Roarke is totally delicious and full of awesome. The only problem with this book is that Roarke doesn't do NEARLY enough groveling.
Polluxa
Dec 09, 2008 Polluxa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I'm not sure why I keep reading this series. I don't really read romance and the murder mysteries in this series are nothing compared to Doyle's or Christie's. But, damn it, I'm hooked.
Andree
May 02, 2016 Andree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Well, this was chilling. After reading one of these a week ago, I decided to go for another one, in my sporadic perusal of this series. I kind of wish I hadn't. It's not badly done, not by any means. It hits all the notes it needs to (Roarke and Eve's fight over Roarke's old love interest showing up hit the right notes, and the associated Eve-Mira and Eve-Somerset scenes were a delight). But the killer is kind of, well, chilling. Not unpredictable (totally called it early on, as I am wont to do ...more
Alexis
Dec 04, 2008 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of JD Robb or other homicide mystery series
If you've read any book in this series before, you know Lieutenant Eve Dallas is a homicide cop in New York City about fifty years in the future. This time around, Eve has caught a case that seems to have no motive and no suspect. Who would kill a much-loved grade school history teacher? But someone has killed him, and Eve will find out who and why. And while all this is going on, she's dealing with a woman from her husband, Roarke's, past - a woman who actually mattered.

As usual, J.D. Robb/Nor
rivka
Jul 28, 2015 rivka rated it really liked it
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
While the case in this book is a good one with a shocker ending, it's the character relationships that shoot this one to the top of my list of In Death books. When a past love of Roarke's returns to claim the love she left behind 12 years ago, Eve's world is severely rattled. Roarke is blinded by the manipulation of his past girlfriend, & Eve is nearly destroyed after witnessing the look on Roarke's face when he first saw Maggie again...it's the look that he usually only gives to Eve. The he ...more
Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
Dear Magdalena,

And fall down the stairs...

Hitting your head on every step on the way down...

Then slowly bleed to death on the floor...

But hey, no hard feelings.

Sincerely,

Someone who stabbed you in her mind every time you breathed in her proximity.

PS: Eve handled you like a pro.
Penni
I loved this installment of the In Death series. The murder was wicked scary and heartbreaking. As was Roarke's blast from the past ex and the strain that put on Roarke and Eve's relationship.

Roarke was pretty blind in this one to his ex - not like his usual canny self. Eve was undone by this situation, which was unusual for her. As usual, it is great to see their relationship weather any storm.

The crime was one that will stick with me. One of those that no matter what justice is served, it will
Bigd_041555
Feb 21, 2016 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do you spell evil? I spell it "Raylene Straffo"!

I love this book for many different reasons - a horrible psychopathic child and a woman who strives to be the number one home wrecker - both of whom are extremely spoiled!

Two very good story lines with interconnecting or would that be parallel meanings/morals.

Once again we see how human our main characters are - 2 thumbs up and 5 stars!

Now a break from the series, first with Bones of the Lost by Kathy Reichs, then Never Go Back by Lee Child.

Onc
 Shirin  Laturkar
This reminds me of Gone Girl...a lot.
Karen
Apr 20, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much good stuff in this one! The story was a bit of a slow build but then it took off!
Sabrina
Feb 29, 2008 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, to date, the best book of the series. Whereas Born in Death is sort of light-hearted, this book has challenging subject matter. It is a credit to Roberts' writing that her characters are so realistic to me that I cried through a good bit of the middle of the book. Skip some of the other books in the series, but this is one you just do not want to miss.
Patricia
Craig Foster, a history teacher at a posh private school in NYC, is at his desk eating his home-prepared lunch and constructing a pop quiz for his next class. He’s young, dedicated and enthusiastic about his job. He is a newlywed, happy in his marriage to a woman who is lovely in both face and personality.

And Craig Foster is now dead at his desk. Actually, he only started dying at his desk. His actual last few minutes alive were spent trying to crawl, against agonizing abdominal pain, to the doo
Mike
Jan 23, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me say this; I've read over 10 of these Eve Dallas books so far and several have given me chills with how cold, calculating and just plain sick some of the killers were but this book's killer takes the biggest cake you'll ever find.

The story starts off with you thinking, maybe just maybe the teacher who's seemingly got zero enemies and zero skeletons in his closet might have hidden something well enough that no one but the killer found it but it goes so much deeper than that. You start thin
MostlyDelores
I found this to be the most disturbing of all the Eve Dallas books. It stuck with me for a long time.
Felicia
Jan 20, 2009 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
One of my faves of the series, and that's saying a lot, because I'm medically obsessed with this series!
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Innocent In Death (Jan. 2015) Spoiler Zone 103 32 Jan 13, 2015 09:41PM
persistence 3 74 May 05, 2014 05:58AM
J.D. Robb : Innocent in Death (Spoiler Zone) 35 136 Jan 23, 2014 10:19AM
CASTING CALL: CHA...: August 2012 8 18 Aug 05, 2012 03:37AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Hot Target (Troubleshooters, #8)
  • Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)
  • Fade (In the company of shadows, #4)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“No. No, I don't believe you'd betray me with her. I don't believe you'd cheat on me. But I'm afraid, and I'm sick in my heart that you might look at her, then at me. And regret.” 854 likes
“She stepped forward as if to pick up the fur she'd tossed over a chair. Smoothly, she turned to hand it to him. And with perfect timing, flung herself into his arms.

The sable fell as he took her shoulders to shove her back.

Eve stepped to the doorway to see Magdelana with her arms locked around Roarke's neck, his hands on her bare shoulders--one of the ivory straps sliding to her elbow.

"Son of a bitch," she said.

On cue, Magdelana spun around, her face full of passion and shock. "Oh, God. Oh...it's not what it looks like."

"Bet." Eve strode in.

Actually, Roarke thought, it was more of a swagger. He had a moment to admire it, before Eve rammed her fist in his face.

"Fuck me." His head snapped back, and he tasted blood.

Magdelana cried out, but even the deaf would have caught the suppressed laughter in the sound. "Roarke! Oh, my God, you're bleeding. Please, let me just--"

"Don't look now," Eve said cheerfully. "But he's not the only one." She decked Magdelana with a straight-armed jab. "Bitch," Eve added as Magdelana's eyes rolled back and she fell, unconscious, to the floor.

Roarke looked down. "Well, now, fuck us all.”
69 likes