The Siege of the Villa Lipp

The Siege of the Villa Lipp

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In the shadowy areas of international law criminals work hard at figuring loopholes. One such wheelerdealer is Paul Firman. He pursues his own ends in a quiet, unobtrusive way. Why would anyone want to bother about him?

But he is unaware that an obsessive academician, Professor Krom, has stumbled on Firman's activities and is determined to expose him. Two of Krom's colleag

Published June 1st 1977 by Amereon Limited (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Siege of the Villa Lipp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Siege of the Villa Lipp

Danny M
Mar 13, 2012 Danny M rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: READERS OF SPY ADN MYSTERY NOVELS
Recommended to Danny by: AUTHOR KNOW TO READER
ERIC AMBLER WAS HTE PREMIER AUTHOR OF SPY AND MYSTERY NOVELS DURING THE 50'S AND 60'S. THE BOOKS SOLD IN LARGE NUMBERS AND ALTHOUGH THE BOOKS ARE OUT OF PRINT THEY CAN BE FOUND IN USED BOOK STORES AND LIBRARIES AT REASONABLE PRICES. THE BOOKS IS A VERY EXCITING TALE THAT WILL HOLD YOUR INTEREST. AMBLER BOOKS DO NOT HAVE THE BELLS AND WHISTLES OF TODAY'S SPY AND MYSTERY NOVELS, BUT THEY ARE MORE BELIEVABLE AND WILL HOLD YOU IN SUSPENSE. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS NOVEL.
Graham Moody
I added Eric Ambler to my author list on the recommendation of a friend. He compares favorable with Graham Greene.
Margaret1358 Joyce
This is a high-tension thriller with little of the lyricism I look for in a narrative, to balance the action.Instead there was delicious irony and wry humour --but not enough to really balance out the nerve wracking tension and pace of it. So, on a personal level, it was not wholly to my liking; but as a representative of the thriller genre, it was magnificent. Never have I read such a thoroughly intriguing and intelligently drawn tale - one that brings in brilliantly wide-ranging references to...more
Ossian
I am about a quarter of the way in, and what an odd feeling. I trust Ambler to have a decent plot, characters, suspense, all that, but so far one of the central devices used in the book - the notion of the Able Criminal as a distinct human type, a subject of scientific study - feels terribly anachronistic for a story written and set in the 1970s. The finger-wagging Professor Krom, a figure straight out of Conan Doyle, superimposed on tax havens and the EEC, feels odd.

Finished it. No, it didn't i...more
Alucard
Hott cover had to be 60's or 70's the 2010 era is too lame.
Robert
I recall almost nothing about the book except that I really liked it.
Mellie
Mellie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Laura Ashurst
Laura Ashurst marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
James Love
James Love marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Bart
Bart marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Wickstrom
Wickstrom marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Nancy Oakes
Nancy Oakes marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Black Pobble
Black Pobble marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eric Ambler began his writing career in the early 1930s, and quickly established a reputation as a thriller writer of extraordinary depth and originality. He is often credited as the inventor of the modern political thriller and John Le Carre once described him as 'the source on which we all draw.'

Ambler began his working life at an engineering firm, then as a copywriter at an advertising agency,...more
More about Eric Ambler...
A Coffin for Dimitrios Epitaph for a Spy Journey Into Fear Cause for Alarm The Light of Day