Start by marking “Dipa Ma (Intl): The Life and Legacy of a Buddhist Master” as Want to Read:
Dipa Ma (Intl): The Life and Legacy of a Buddhist Master

Dipa Ma (Intl): The Life and Legacy of a Buddhist Master

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  24 reviews
'An inspiring and beautiful book about one of our most beloved elders, a modern Buddhist saint' - Jack Kornfield

Read the life story and spiritual teachings of Dipa Ma, a major figure in contemporary Buddhism. She was the teacher of such well-respected western Buddhists as Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, Joseph Goldstein, Alice Walker, and Sylvia Boorstein, among others.
Published July 28th 2015 by Windhorse Publications (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dipa Ma (Intl), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dipa Ma (Intl)

Mike
This book is a series of stories written by people who knew Dipa Ma, a renowned meditation master within the Theravada tradition. Dipa Ma was acknowledged to have fully developed the 'supranatural powers'. She continued through cultural and institutionalized obstacles along her path as a female meditator, housewife, mother, eventual meditation master and fully engaged teacher within her community.

Dipa Ma was taught by Munindra, and many well known meditation instructors in the US, including Sha
Roberta
Lovely book, really a tribute to a woman who was a Buddhist saint and had a powerful effect on many. Dipa Ma (meaning mother of Dipa) was born in 1911, a descendant of the original Buddhists of India. At 12, she was married to a man of 25. Though she was drawn to meditation at an early age, she lived the life of a "householder," being a wife and mother, making her life her practice. Her meditation continued in earnest, and she attained enlightenment in an astonishingly short time, becoming the t ...more
Mike

Clara
Dipa Ma, someone to whom I was introduced through this book, was a much-loved and respected Buddhist practitioner and meditation teacher. Her story is an excellent example of what tenacity, dedication, and lovingkindness can accomplish, even under very trying circumstances. Dipa Ma ("mother of Dipa," her daughter's name) was prevented from learning and practicing meditation until she was in her forties. Her husband had died of a heart attack, she was poor and a single mother, and a woman in an e ...more
Darren
The website dipama.org at end of book is no longer available. Would be nice if someone with money and resources to start new website would do that. The more you give the more you receive. I would do it myself, but it would be many lifetimes before I would accomplish it.

Wish she would have started meditation earlier than 45 even if in secret. I hope things have or will change in India to prevent something like this from happening again. She could have changed so many more lives if only the time
Lawrence Rao
In a lineage where you find mostly men, Dipa ma was a female householder, a mother, a grandmother.......and an enlightened master...excelling her teachers. This short frail woman who is virtually unknown to the general public....has been the teacher of many of the zen masters who originally brought Buddha's teaching to the West.

Dipa Ma's life is very inspiring and it gives great hope for householders like me. The fact that Dipa Ma was able to bring mindfulness to everyday mundane activities fro
Michele
The hope and optimism of the life of Dipa Ma is wonderfully captured in this short and inspirational biography. While she was an extraordinary woman and overcame many obstacles to reach a state of peace, the stories of the people she touched and the lives she transformed is most extraordinary to me and very stirring.

The constant practice of metta (loving-kindness) by Dipa Ma is beautiful and has made me examine my own, often frustrated, interactions with my surroundings. She overcame tragedy an
Carol
What a lovely book. It really makes you feel connected to Dipa Ma, and inspired by her. Dipa Ma shows how we can deepen our practice even as a householder, a mother, a grandmother, a widow, without lots of money, any condition a woman can find herself in is not an obstacle to living the dharma.

Highly recommended.
Juergen
A short read but an absolute gem. Along with "Living this Life Fully," about Anagarika Munindra, this book is indispensable in understanding modern Dharma transmission in the West. Munindra and Dipa Ma were two of the most important influences for teachers such as Joseph Goldstein, Sharon Salzberg and a host of others.

Dipa Ma's personal story of suffering is heart breaking, relatable and ultimately inspiring. The short chapter on attainments along the path of insight is golden. It seems in the
Pake Hall
A very loving portrait of Dipa Ma, a Buddhist meditation master and "Saint" or bodhisattva. Her example is truly inspiring, we can all wake up in whatever circumstances we live. Her words strike a chord in me and I am grateful that this book gives me a chance to connect to her life and teachings.
Bethany Weathersbee
I found this book just as I was wondering if there were any woman Buddhist monks to read about. She really seemed lovely.
Jmp
Wonderful biography. Good photographs. lovely life.
Jason
This is an incredible and inspiring book that radiates with the beauty of meditation, Buddhist practice, and the possibility of enlightenment. There are a lot of books that emphasize how much work it can be to meditate and be mindful; this is a book about the fruits of practice as realized in the life of one woman. If you're looking for a book on Buddhism that is most of all inspiring, I would recommend this book first. Many stories of Dipa Ma from those who knew her and were touched by her life ...more
I loved this book despite the fact that it seemed to be written at an 8th grade reading level. It is the story of a rare female Buddist master, Dipa Ma (1911-89) explaining her path from being a 12-year-old bride to a revered practioner and teacher. Most of the book is a collection of memories shared by people she taught and influenced during her lifetime. Through reading this, Dipa Ma has inspired me to practice meditation more diligently, and to continue my efforts at spiritual growth.
Ojaiandrew
This is one of my all time favorite books - one of the very few that I return to over and over. It is the incredibly inspirational story of one woman's tragedies and her journey toward awakening. She became teacher to many well known western meditation teachers. I've given many copies away to friends. My only regret is that I gave my copy with color photos away and the new ones are black and white. Highly recommended.
Stefan
A simple and straightforward read, consisting mostly of quotes and stories from a variety of people about Dipa Ma. Very inspiring to feel the zest and energy this little lady brought into her practice. Recommended reading for meditators and aspiring Buddhas.
A very simple collection of memoirs and stories from Dipa Ma's students, but very enjoyable and inspirational to read about this extraordinary-yet-ordinary person.
Aditya
A huge dose of inspiration for those who want to practice while being laity. Every visit to this book is a shot in the arm. Every page of this book is bright light.
Gary
A super inspirational book. I "heard" Dipa Ma's voice while reading, encouraging me to practice MORE! Totally entertaining read.
Ian Birlem
my daily inspiration, a householder who surmounted staggering personal tragedy to gain the highest levels of enlightenment
The book is a 4, but Dipa Ma is a 5: the Nike spokeswoman of meditation: JUST DO IT!
Mary
I like memoirs. This is an inspiring picture of a deeply spiritual Buddhist practitioner.
Jessica
Very sweet little book. Easy to read and very inspiring. Great story.
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Stacie Gray McCue
Stacie Gray McCue marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Francisco
Francisco marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away: Teachings on Impermanence and the End of Suffering
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • A Still Forest Pool: The Insight Meditation of Achaan Chah
  • Stepping Out of Self-Deception: The Buddha's Liberating Teaching of No-Self
  • Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening
  • Shoes Outside the Door: Desire, Devotion, and Excess at San Francisco Zen Center
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • The Mind of Clover: Essays in Zen Buddhist Ethics
  • Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
  • The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
Loose Leashes Dog-Gone School Knee Deep in Grace: The Extraordinary Life and Teaching of Dipa Ma Rock Star! (Eva Heart, Vampire Slayer, #1) Jack Stark (Eva Heart, Vampire Slayer #2)