It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business Is Driven by Purpose

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Who is Roy Spence and what makes him the ?Pied Piper of Purpose??

Over the last thirty-five years, Roy Spence has helped organizations such as Southwest Airlines, BMW, the University of Texas, Walmart, the Clinton Global Initiative, and many others achieve greatness by getting them to obsess about one big idea: purpose. With purpose as the North Star, employee engagement i...more
Published February 5th 2009 by Portfolio Hardcover (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For

Zacho
I think he is right, good businesses focus on purpose before how or what. Lots of good quotes and examples. The case studies at the end are a little redundant.
Adler Mckenzie
This is an amazing audiobook. I am a small business owner (17 years), and as I've survived the economic downturn, I've started "re-learning," and came across this audiobook at my library. Little would I realize how much the concepts Roy Spence articulates would change my entire business. Re-aligning my time, resources, and priotities into my clearly defined "purpose," my business is growing rapidly, and I'm seeing the fruits (very quickly) bear out from the principles set forth in this gem of an...more
Sam Motes
This book is about finding the compelling purpose for your company and then keeping that purpose at the center of everything you do. It will give the employees the drive to do excellent work rather than just punching the clock. It gives many real life examples such as Southwest, Walmart and others that have done this and by staying true to their purpose have developed raving fans and a committed employee base.
Lucas
I completely related to the idea that a company should base each decision on how it will affect its ability to achieve its purpose. A purpose driven organization must base all its marketing on its purpose, as well as ensuring all interactions with employees, customers, and others outside the organization are in line with the purpose and communicate the purpose.
Gavin
I can't claim to have completed this one. The narrator is so robotic, that I couldn't get through the second disc. The content was interesting, but not enough to overcome the robot reading the thing. The foreward narration by the auther was great, he should have narrated the entire book, and I'm sure it would have been much much better.
Diogo De
A guide book for leaders willing to make a change, willing to make a difference and succed.

Showcases stories about purpose-driven companies that experienced a big shift on its potential by unleashing the power of purpose.

A must-read, my guide book.
Bruce
My fourth of fifth book on this subject recently. It's good, not great but good. It does help decisions making and keeping you consistent.
John Hibbs
The book has some interesting points but is pedantic. The goal is to show that every business should strive for more than just profit (duh!).
Sandra
Helping companies find their purposes and understanding why it matters to follow it.

Excellent new concepts to bridge change.

Michael
Good book, lots of real world examples.
Rick
A few new thoughts.
YellowDubDude
YellowDubDude marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Greg Hudnall
Greg Hudnall marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Lee Brinckley
Lee Brinckley is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Mike Ellerhorst
Mike Ellerhorst marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Ken Marchant
Ken Marchant marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jeremy Wetherell
Jeremy Wetherell is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Charlotte Wanberg
Charlotte Wanberg marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Vikram Janardhan
Vikram Janardhan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Shaya Smile
Shaya Smile marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014