The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts (Element Encyclopedia)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,534 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The definitive magic reference book for Witches, Wiccans and all devotees of the magical arts. This is the real version of the archetypal master spell book of fantasy that has a place in our collective imagination.The spell book also contains a brief history of and basic precepts of magic, plus material about the tools of Witchcraft.
Published March 15th 2004 by Element Books (first published January 1st 2004)

Wicca by Scott CunninghamGods of The Nowhere by James TipperThe Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews by Scott CunninghamDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas SchreckDrawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler
Magic, and Practice
33rd out of 59 books — 58 voters
Rogets 21st Century Thesaurus by Peter Mark RogetBrewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable by Ebenezer Cobham BrewerConcise Oxford English Dictionary [With CDROM] by Oxford University PressReverse Dictionary by Reader's DigestThe Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, 17th Edition (Cent... by Merck Publishing
Best Reference Books Ever
20th out of 40 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicole
Massive book, large, thick and heavy. I was impressed by the amazing variety, some spells are dangerous though, and some are a little ridiculous, so use common sense. If you are unfamiliar with any of the ingredients, research them thoroughly before use. A fascinating read with spells from a multiple of cultures, great for ideas when creating your own spells, includes recipes for incenses, oils and the likes, although not all are indexed, which was frustrating and required scanning every page wh...more
Valenfore Alestreneon
A really good reference book that's very comprehensive. Although, I notice she has a lot of unnecessary filler material that seems to be geared towards people who are newer to the study. It's kind of pointless, since newer people shouldn't be looking at reference books if they don't have the basics of spellcraft down.
Priscilla
A personal friend of ours, Judika is very knowledgable of all the various types of spiritual paths out there.
This book is by far the most comprehensive book that I have found on magic in my 20 years of following a Pagan path.

I highly recommend it, if only for the historical value in it!

Victoria Rawlings
Without a doubt this is the Larousse Gastronomique of the modern witchy world. Clearly written and categorised, any witch would want this on their bookshelf (or coffee table..!) Don't be fooled - this is not light-hearted reading. It assumes the reader already has a clear knowledge of using magic, when to use it, how to use it and most importantly when not to use it!
The spells are from around the world, and from a variety of different cultures and religions. Some are extremely complicated and i...more
Keshia
This book is a collection of spells from a variety of sources. The most basic thing that this book does for the reader is That it gives a wide variety of spells from ancient sources and a diverse variety from different disciplines. This book should be a welcome addition to any person who is interested in magic regardless of the level Of your understanding of magic. The main drawback to this book is the indexing. The indexing leaves a lot to be desired. For example the book contains a great deal...more
Jess
I've just finished my solid browse through this tome. That is, I read the informative sections at the front & browsed the spell chapters, rather than read the whole damn thing. It was a fantastic read & will make a valuable addition to the shelf. If it doesn't collapse it, that is.

5000 Spells covers a wide range topics, cultures & divinities with Judika Illes doing a good job of presenting multiple view points on the usual controversial topics (hexes, love spells, etc).

I particularly...more
Tabitha Chamberlain
This a great reference and learning tool for those that want to learn more about magick for all over the world. Some decent spells but a lot of details, unfortunately there are some that are harder to find spell items or just flat out to expensive to get. Great book, I would suggest it for anyone who wants an all encompassing spell book.
Danny
Jan 03, 2013 Danny added it
Shelves: reference
This is not a book you just sit down and read--it's an encyclopedia and is a pretty good reference book. However--personally I found some of the content completely irrelevant to myself, but again--if you're interested in studying different cultures and religious practices, this is ok.
I would have one major disagreement with this book though. It definitely does not (in my opinion) help clear misconceptions of anyone who practices magic. It seems that it plays into a lot of stereotypes and I thoug...more
Sonya
There is so much to this book i could easily write a 5 page review. But to keep it simple , this is one hell of a book. Yes some of the things in it are not for actual practice in life as some of them are either folk tales or highly dangerous because of ingredients. But the wealth of information you gather from here outweighs that by far, many of the things can be put to practical use even for someone not interested in the spells . There are many herbal teas ,baths, and incense recipes. In short...more
Mikki Ibarra
I cannot say enough wonderful things about this book and author. She researches her information clearly and shares it in language that is simple and easy to understand. She is precise for those who have little experience with mystical arts and she is amusing and reminds the reader to use their brains while doing many of the more complicated workings. She pulls from all of the familiar traditions and also some less familiar ones, appealing to all walks of life, any religious background and any le...more
Jai
Jul 11, 2008 Jai rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wiccans, Magick Users, Pagans
This is perhaps the best spell book on the market. Involving a massive collection of clear, precise spells categorized properly, this book has everything you could ever want in the field. Additionally, it has comprehensive lists and explanations of various forms of spell-casting, religions, and practices in the back of the book, and well-worded summaries of each section. There is a lot to learn from this giant volume, and it's fun, too!

It's a must-have for any serious witch or Wiccan, and it's a...more
Bridget
This is a very good book for reference and if your brave enough to try some new spells.
Tara
Judika Illes is a wonderful writer. Her style is easy to comprehend and her knowledge and understanding manifests itself into a plethora of wonderful information.

Keep in mind that this book along with The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft are written as stated. They are indeed an encyclopedia and therefore read as such.

As for informational sources, I highly recommend Judika Illes. Her style is not "Fluffy", it is precise and factual.

I suggest that anyone purchasing this book ALSO purchase her...more
Alexandra
Jan 13, 2008 Alexandra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with an open mind about magic
LOTS of good ideas in here. The spells come from all different disciplines. Probably mostly pagan, but there are spells from asia, the middle east, santeria, herbalism. I would encourage having some system that you are devoted to and feel uncomfortable about using some spells involving gods and goddesses that I am not familiar with. But it's fascinating to read and has also been useful.
Effie
I leered at this book for many years before I bought it I have to say! BUT... now I own both the 5000 and 1000 as well as her dream dictionary....I enjoy the information and the seriously overwhelming compendium of pre made spells. I use these sections as ideas and inspirations and I really think this is the best way to use this massive text.
Amanda
Truly a must have, I have read through many pagan and Wiccan books but this one is defiantly the most informative. Wonderful history and an amazing assortment of spells. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to learn more about the history of paganism and spells. Blessed Be )o(
Onyx
Jul 16, 2013 Onyx rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone interested in magic.
Well, I didn't realize what an awesome book I actually have. Anywhere I can find the ingredients for San Cipriano Oil is up there on my book list. That recipe is nearly impossible to find!
I think I'll give this book a second look. Obviously, I underestimated it.
Deb White
This is a great collection of concoctions of all sorts. It covers a wide assortment of different styles and looks into some of the histories. Very adaptable to fit any style or path. I recomend it to beginners - it's fun and easy to read.

James
This is the best spell reference book I've ever encountered. The book is very, very large and every topic I could imagine is in there, and if you've read anything else by Judika Illes, this is something you should keep your eye out for.
Lunette Witch
The must book for all Wiccans- its got everything you'll need and some old spells that are no longer used.
I love this book...its not a reference book but part of a way of life. If you finish rading it then your finished with Wiccan
April Parr
This is another book I use as a writing reference. Though I am of a pagan faith, spells are not really my thing. Still, working with topics such as fairies and magic in my stories, this book helps add the realism I desire.
Julie Schuch
Ha ha ha ha, lots of fun. Not at all like the 70's books i read.....touch's the subject with lightness and grace.....but mostly boring, yet to much for the new adventurer.
An amazing wealth of information. Absolutely filled with typos, though. Though they may have fixed this in later printings (if there have been later printings).
Lauren
This was such a fun book! It is enjoyable entertaining going through all the pages and figuring out what different things go with what to make something magical.
Heather
This is the only book about spells most people need. Great writing about magic, great history lessons, and 5000 spells from around the world.
Nikki Ashendorf
Sep 12, 2012 Nikki Ashendorf rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Witch or magician
I love, love this book! I use this book all of the time. I love how she has all sorts of spells from may different traditions. They work!
Stephanie
Jan 06, 2010 Stephanie is currently reading it
Awesome book! Any spell you may need for any situation can be found in this book. I've turned to this book time and time again.
Ropa
I miss this book muchly, it's fucking heavy and super cool. If I reading it, I'm smacking bitches with it hehe
Kate E.A.
tons of stuff in this book. seriously. and all categorized by type. I like that it's not religion-specific, either!
Racheh
A very useful book. Alot of good information, history. A definite must for anyone's magical library.
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
  • Solitary Witch
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • The Real Witches' Kitchen
  • A Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches' Handbook
  • Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Nocturnal Witchcraft: Magick After Dark
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 SPELLS.

“Bell Protection Spell Bells protect against evil. Their ringing causes many malicious spirits to flee and they are thus a primary component of exorcism rites. It’s not only their ringing tones that repel evil; bells, like broomsticks and mortars and pestles, are a discreet metaphor for the reproductive act. Creative acts of life counteract forces of destruction. For this protective ritual, four silver or iron bells are required. Consecrate the bells with Fiery Wall of Protection Incense. (Pass the bells through the smoke.) Charge the bells. Hold them and tell them their mission of protection, aloud if possible. Hang one in each corner of the area to be protected. Allegedly the bells will warn when danger appears from that direction by spontaneously ringing. Recharge bells that ring. After an emergency or perhaps as annual maintenance, repeat the entire ritual.” 0 likes
“Fennel Spell Hang fennel from doors and windows to ward off evil energy and entities. Fiery Wall of Protection Spells Fiery Wall of Protection is among the most famous classic condition formulas. Its name invokes the power of Archangel Michael’s protective flaming sword. The formula may be consecrated to the archangel. Fiery Wall’s basic ingredients include such powerful protective agents as salt, frankincense and myrrh. Its red color, the color of protection, derives from dragon’s blood powder. See the Formulary for specific instructions: the dried powder may be used as incense or magic powder. When the powder is added to oil, Fiery Wall of Protection Oil is created. Fiery Wall of Protection Spell (1) Candle Carve a red or white candle with your name, identifying information, hopes, and desires. Dress it with Fiery Wall of Protection Oil and burn. Consecrate the candle to the Archangel Michael if desired. Fiery Wall of Protection Spell (2) Extra-strength Mojo Place a handful of Fiery Wall of Protection Powder in a charm bag. Drizzle it with Fiery Wall of Protection Oil and Protection Oil. Add a medallion depicting Michael the Archangel and/or a tiny doll-sized sword: a fancy tooth pick works well. Carry it in your pocket. Replace the powder weekly, dressing with fresh oil. Cleanse, charge, and consecrate the charms as needed. Fiery Wall of Protection Spell (3) Incense Protect against a threatened curse by burning Fiery Wall of Protection Powder as incense. To intensify the protection, add powdered agrimony and/or vervain. Fiery Wall of Protection Spell (4) Powder Circle Cast a circle of Fiery Wall of Protection Powder around yourself, your home, or whatever needs protection. Envision a circle of enchanted flames magically surrounding and protecting you, something like the magic fire encircling The Ring of the Nibelung’s valkyrie swan-maiden Brunhilde: the flames are cool and won’t harm those whom they protect yet serve as a burning boundary preventing the entrance of all evil. Stay within the circle for as long as necessary. Carry the powder within a charm bag so that circles and boundary lines may be spontaneously cast as needed. Fiery Wall of Protection Spell (5) Quick Fix Soak a cotton ball in Fiery Wall of Protection Oil and carry it in your pocket or tucked into your bra.” 0 likes