Start by marking “The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts” as Want to Read:

The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts (Element Encyclopedia)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  2,596 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
The definitive magic reference book for Witches, Wiccans and all devotees of the magical arts. This is the real version of the archetypal master spell book of fantasy that has a place in our collective imagination.The spell book also contains a brief history of and basic precepts of magic, plus material about the tools of Witchcraft.

Sales Handles:
• Today there are many boo
Published March 1st 2004 by Element (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells

The Witches' Journal by Patti RobertsWicca by Scott CunninghamThe Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews by Scott CunninghamCunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott CunninghamDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas Schreck
Magic, and Practice
40th out of 83 books — 102 voters
Rogets 21st Century Thesaurus by Peter Mark RogetBrewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable by Ebenezer Cobham BrewerConcise Oxford English Dictionary with CDROM by Oxford University PressLinda Goodman's Sun Signs by Linda GoodmanReverse Dictionary by Reader's Digest Association
Best Reference Books Ever
23rd out of 41 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Priscilla
Jan 31, 2008 Priscilla rated it it was amazing
A personal friend of ours, Judika is very knowledgable of all the various types of spiritual paths out there.
This book is by far the most comprehensive book that I have found on magic in my 20 years of following a Pagan path.

I highly recommend it, if only for the historical value in it!

Nicole
Jan 13, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan
Massive book, large, thick and heavy. I was impressed by the amazing variety, some spells are dangerous though, and some are a little ridiculous, so use common sense. If you are unfamiliar with any of the ingredients, research them thoroughly before use. A fascinating read with spells from a multiple of cultures, great for ideas when creating your own spells, includes recipes for incenses, oils and the likes, although not all are indexed, which was frustrating and required scanning every page ...more
Valenfore Alestreneon
Dec 16, 2012 Valenfore Alestreneon rated it it was amazing
A really good reference book that's very comprehensive. Although, I notice she has a lot of unnecessary filler material that seems to be geared towards people who are newer to the study. It's kind of pointless, since newer people shouldn't be looking at reference books if they don't have the basics of spellcraft down.
Victoria Collins
Jan 27, 2013 Victoria Collins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Without a doubt this is the Larousse Gastronomique of the modern witchy world. Clearly written and categorised, any witch would want this on their bookshelf (or coffee table..!) Don't be fooled - this is not light-hearted reading. It assumes the reader already has a clear knowledge of using magic, when to use it, how to use it and most importantly when not to use it!
The spells are from around the world, and from a variety of different cultures and religions. Some are extremely complicated and i
Juli Anna
Aug 26, 2016 Juli Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: spirit
This book is--enormous. I did not read it cover to cover. There is a 102-page intro section that contains all kinds of good, basic information about the construction of rituals and the details and tools of spellcrafting, which was interesting for me as a beginner. The spells themselves are taken from many, many magickal traditions throughout history, giving them a wide variety. Illes modernizes the wording and ingredients for many more traditional spells, which may be a good or a bad thing, ...more
Keshia
May 30, 2013 Keshia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of spells from a variety of sources. The most basic thing that this book does for the reader is That it gives a wide variety of spells from ancient sources and a diverse variety from different disciplines. This book should be a welcome addition to any person who is interested in magic regardless of the level Of your understanding of magic. The main drawback to this book is the indexing. The indexing leaves a lot to be desired. For example the book contains a great deal ...more
Nan
Oct 30, 2014 Nan rated it it was amazing
This is now my go to book for information and inspiration when spellcasting.

For the seeker of knowledge, it provides an awe-inspiring look at how common everyday items were used across the world for spellcasting and "getting things done" Information comes from a wide range of sources, with what appears to be a strong focus on rootwork.

I would not recommend this book to the novice witch for spellcasting because many of the spells if used without careful thought could cause unintended harm. And
Jess
Jul 21, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it
I've just finished my solid browse through this tome. That is, I read the informative sections at the front & browsed the spell chapters, rather than read the whole damn thing. It was a fantastic read & will make a valuable addition to the shelf. If it doesn't collapse it, that is.

5000 Spells covers a wide range topics, cultures & divinities with Judika Illes doing a good job of presenting multiple view points on the usual controversial topics (hexes, love spells, etc).

I particularly
Danny
Jan 13, 2016 Danny added it
Shelves: reference
This is not a book you just sit down and read--it's an encyclopedia and is a pretty good reference book. However--personally I found some of the content completely irrelevant to myself, but again--if you're interested in studying different cultures and religious practices, this is ok.
I would have one major disagreement with this book though. It definitely does not (in my opinion) help clear misconceptions of anyone who practices magic. It seems that it plays into a lot of stereotypes and I thoug
Sonya
Jul 29, 2012 Sonya rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
There is so much to this book i could easily write a 5 page review. But to keep it simple , this is one hell of a book. Yes some of the things in it are not for actual practice in life as some of them are either folk tales or highly dangerous because of ingredients. But the wealth of information you gather from here outweighs that by far, many of the things can be put to practical use even for someone not interested in the spells . There are many herbal teas ,baths, and incense recipes. In short ...more
Robert Ingram
As with an Magick, the spell wrote by oneself will always work better than something someone else has spit out. Magick is personal. Magick is for gain for oneself or others, or the others demise or ill-fortune. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Although there were several ideas I had not considered using Magick for, I still found the book useless.
Tabitha Chamberlain
Jul 23, 2014 Tabitha Chamberlain rated it really liked it
This a great reference and learning tool for those that want to learn more about magick for all over the world. Some decent spells but a lot of details, unfortunately there are some that are harder to find spell items or just flat out to expensive to get. Great book, I would suggest it for anyone who wants an all encompassing spell book.
Bridget
Apr 06, 2014 Bridget rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book for reference and if your brave enough to try some new spells.
Victoria Newman
Sep 25, 2016 Victoria Newman rated it it was amazing
It is a great book to read
nikki
Mar 11, 2016 nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
this series is a good starter pack. it contains brief information on a lot of different things, and is a good place to do beginner reference and expand further from there. i'm also a sucker for the format and style of the books - they just look good, and i can't help but think of how good they'd look together on my bookshelf. as a bibliophile, i really like this series.

obviously, don't consult these for in-depth research. but, again, they're a good place to start broad, wide-ranging consultation
Jai
Jul 11, 2008 Jai rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Wiccans, Magick Users, Pagans
This is perhaps the best spell book on the market. Involving a massive collection of clear, precise spells categorized properly, this book has everything you could ever want in the field. Additionally, it has comprehensive lists and explanations of various forms of spell-casting, religions, and practices in the back of the book, and well-worded summaries of each section. There is a lot to learn from this giant volume, and it's fun, too!

It's a must-have for any serious witch or Wiccan, and it's a
Claudia Loureiro
Oct 23, 2015 Claudia Loureiro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witchery
This book is fabulous, it is a collection of spells/charms from all different paths, not just witchcraft and is a wonderful reference book because it envelopes other leanings (eg; Egyptian and Eastern beliefs) and a more traditional school of witchcraft.
Although some spells are irrelevant for today's use, this is a nice book if you are interested in putting together your own spells as it gives you some lovely ideas on what to use and why.
Excellent book for sitting cosily with a cup of tea on a r
Mikki Ibarra
Jul 20, 2012 Mikki Ibarra rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough wonderful things about this book and author. She researches her information clearly and shares it in language that is simple and easy to understand. She is precise for those who have little experience with mystical arts and she is amusing and reminds the reader to use their brains while doing many of the more complicated workings. She pulls from all of the familiar traditions and also some less familiar ones, appealing to all walks of life, any religious background and any ...more
Tara
Apr 13, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing
Judika Illes is a wonderful writer. Her style is easy to comprehend and her knowledge and understanding manifests itself into a plethora of wonderful information.

Keep in mind that this book along with The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft are written as stated. They are indeed an encyclopedia and therefore read as such.

As for informational sources, I highly recommend Judika Illes. Her style is not "Fluffy", it is precise and factual.

I suggest that anyone purchasing this book ALSO purchase her
Dec 28, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful for looking up references and ideas for new spells or rituals, however, I would recommend you read the entire introduction to this book. Many of these spells are from older sources and are dangerous. So be careful, head this books warnings, and research any ingredient you plan to ingest further before you craft anything. The organization can be a little rough to work with, but it isn't exceedingly difficult, and this book has spells for just about everything. Good read.
Sylveey
Apr 29, 2016 Sylveey rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. Anything you need is in there, and I can see that Judika did her research and worked endlessly to put together a wonderful array of spells. I recommend this book to everyone from the curious and the beginner to the seasoned Witch. This book is a fixture in my personal library and if you decide to add it to yours, you will be glad you did!
Amanda
Jul 27, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Truly a must have, I have read through many pagan and Wiccan books but this one is defiantly the most informative. Wonderful history and an amazing assortment of spells. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to learn more about the history of paganism and spells. Blessed Be )o(
Alexandra
Jan 13, 2008 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people with an open mind about magic
LOTS of good ideas in here. The spells come from all different disciplines. Probably mostly pagan, but there are spells from asia, the middle east, santeria, herbalism. I would encourage having some system that you are devoted to and feel uncomfortable about using some spells involving gods and goddesses that I am not familiar with. But it's fascinating to read and has also been useful.
Effie
Nov 21, 2011 Effie rated it really liked it
I leered at this book for many years before I bought it I have to say! BUT... now I own both the 5000 and 1000 as well as her dream dictionary....I enjoy the information and the seriously overwhelming compendium of pre made spells. I use these sections as ideas and inspirations and I really think this is the best way to use this massive text.
Dorrie
Jan 31, 2009 Dorrie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who is seriously interested in witchcraft or paganism. It's more a read for teenage girls who sit in their bedrooms fantasising about becoming witches and such like. Could be dodgy in the wrong hands and in my opinion shouldn't even be in print.
Lunette Witch
Feb 13, 2012 Lunette Witch rated it it was amazing
The must book for all Wiccans- its got everything you'll need and some old spells that are no longer used.
I love this book...its not a reference book but part of a way of life. If you finish rading it then your finished with Wiccan
Kelsey Vermillia
Jan 12, 2013 Kelsey Vermillia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The serious witchcraft practitioner
Not something you should try to read in one sitting. This is a reference book, not a spell book. This is not for someone looking for spells to use. This is mostly for historical/cultural purposes, and should be used as such. For the serious studying practitioner.
James
Mar 04, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
This is the best spell reference book I've ever encountered. The book is very, very large and every topic I could imagine is in there, and if you've read anything else by Judika Illes, this is something you should keep your eye out for.
Onyx
Jul 16, 2013 Onyx rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone interested in magic.
Well, I didn't realize what an awesome book I actually have. Anywhere I can find the ingredients for San Cipriano Oil is up there on my book list. That recipe is nearly impossible to find!
I think I'll give this book a second look. Obviously, I underestimated it.
Rena Sherwood
This book goes on forever. I've owned a copy for years and have never been bothered to finish it. It gets quite repetitive. Has some nice historical tidbits. Heavy enough to kill someone if you dropped it off of a skyscraper.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. 750 Spells and Casts for Witches [s] 5 41 Sep 05, 2014 08:34PM
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • The Real Witches' Kitchen
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
  • Solitary Witch
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World
  • Nocturnal Witchcraft: Magick After Dark
  • A Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches' Handbook
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home

Element Encyclopedia (10 books)
  • Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Hidden History: The Ultimate A-Z of Ancient Mysteries, Lost Civilizations and Forgotten Wisdom
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Vampires
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Birthdays
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 1000 Spells

“Dragon’s blood, an extremely potent magical material, surely ranks among the Top 20 most popular spell-casting ingredients. No need to emulate Saint George, dragon’s blood is the resin from Dracaena draco, an Indonesian tree. Unlike most resins it’s red, hence the name. If you burn it, it does indeed bear a resemblance to blood. (There is also another dragon’s blood, used in Peruvian magic. This one, too, is a botanical substance, although completely distinct from the Indonesian resin.)” 2 likes
“Bell Protection Spell Bells protect against evil. Their ringing causes many malicious spirits to flee and they are thus a primary component of exorcism rites. It’s not only their ringing tones that repel evil; bells, like broomsticks and mortars and pestles, are a discreet metaphor for the reproductive act. Creative acts of life counteract forces of destruction. For this protective ritual, four silver or iron bells are required. Consecrate the bells with Fiery Wall of Protection Incense. (Pass the bells through the smoke.) Charge the bells. Hold them and tell them their mission of protection, aloud if possible. Hang one in each corner of the area to be protected. Allegedly the bells will warn when danger appears from that direction by spontaneously ringing. Recharge bells that ring. After an emergency or perhaps as annual maintenance, repeat the entire ritual.” 1 likes