Start by marking “Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon” as Want to Read:
Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon
Read Book* *Different edition

Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon (Extraordinary Voyages #21)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  854 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Many regard Jules Verne (1828-1905) as the father of modern science fiction. After running away to sea at the age of 11, and getting sent home in disgrace, Verne took up writing. His early works, mostly plays and librettos, met with little success. His first novel, "Five Weeks in a Balloon," based on extensive readings on science and geography, led him to a career writing ...more
Published September 10th 2005 by Wildside Press (first published 1870)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon

Mr.B
More of a travelogue than a story, although it does have an engaging plot, Verne's 800 Leagues on the Amazon follows a family's descent by enormous log raft down almost the full length of the mighty Amazon River, from Peru to the Atlantic coast in Brazil, as they make their way to the last town on the river where a double wedding will take place. The major complication is that a villain is intent on blackmailing the father of the family for events that happened 23 years previously. Like many of ...more
Marts  (Thinker)
Apr 17, 2010 Marts (Thinker) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jules Verne fans
Here is a most interesting Jules Verne tale. Unlike his usual science fiction novels, Eight hundred leagues actually tells the tale of an Amazon River trip, and most is quite descriptive as regards the surroundings, people, places, vegetation, wildlife, etc. It's quite a tale to follow, from the end of part one its got you at the edge of your seat!
Pramod S Nair
'800 Leagues on the Amazon' is an amazing story of adventure, honor, loyalty and exotic travel shrouded in great mystery. This is not the typical Jules Verne science fiction but it is a rollicking ride full of suspense and thrill on a log raft down almost the full length of the mighty Amazon River.

The book starts slowly and Verne narrates the surroundings and the flora and fauna of the Amazon in great detail. In the backdrop of one of the most exotic locations on the planet Verne narrates the s
John
Jules Verne is such a masterful story teller and this one didn't disappoint!
ali rezaei
کتاب هشتصد فرسنگ در طول آمازون با انطور که در نسخه فارسیش کتاب جنگل های تاریک آمازون ترجمه شده است، احتمالا در نگاه اول تصوری از قبایل بدوی ادمخوار
را در دل جنگل های آمازون را به شما
بدهد.هرچند با عطف به ماسبق نویسننده کتاب میتوان همچنان تمی ماجراجویانه در کتاب اخیر جست 800 فرسنگ در طول آمازون نه کتابی علمی تخیلی نه چندان ماجراجویانه بلکه داستانیست
جنایی دادگاهی که که از قلم قدرمتند پدر سبک علمی تخیلی نوشته شده است
شاید آن درخششی را که د سایر کتاب های ژول ورن و سبک منحصر به خودش سراغ داریم نتوان
James
A Jules Verne adventure and mystery traveling down the Amazon on a huge raft. Not as exciting or involved as "The Mysterious Island" butt involves the Amazon and takes place in the nineteenth century, thus it was of interest to me. Interesting natural history "facts".
Carl
This is more of a travel log than anything else. It certainly is not science-fiction. It is primarily a description of a family traveling down the Amazon River to a family wedding, and the adventures they have along the way. The book reflects many of the prejudices of the period, including giving a vivid description of how the body of a drowned person will rise to the surface if a cannon is fired over the water (you will also find reference to this in Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn).

One of the th
Jesse Athey
So much information! The first half was like reading a text book about the amazon. Definitely not my favorite Verne.
Mashi
I was just 11 ,when I started to read this book! I leaned back in my room all day to finish it...
dragonhelmuk
Happy (Mara) Hodges
I have to say that it was rather depressing to have all sorts of species that are now threatened/endangered paraded in front of me. I find myself wondering what effect the publication of this book had on history. I hope this book was instrumental in bringing people to a greater appreciation of what's in the Amazon rather than drawing still more people to exploit it.
John Peel
It's not often I find a "new" Jules Verne, but I had never read this one before. As always, it's a lovely concept - rafting down the Amazon - melded with melodrama. An innocent man faces the death penalty - can his family and friends save him before he is killed? Beautifully written and a lot of fun.
David R.
For a Jules Verne novel this one is a disappointment. The book plods through a dull travelogue (a raft makes its way down the Amazon from Peru) for its first two-thirds, then swerves into a moderately interesting murder mystery. The end is utterly predictable and the drama is forced.
Mark Dewey
This was a cool book, although despite Jules Verne being the author, it isn’t a whit science fiction. However, there is a nifty cryptogram (if you listen to the audiobook, they read the whole cryptogram letter by letter and it's rather long—so you might want to skip through that part, unless you have an excellent memory and attention span).

The book isn't about the Amazon at all, either (although they are on it throughout a fair portion of the book, and they do encounter some animals here and the
Brandon Wilde
It definitely took a while to get going. The first half of the book is mostly background and filler, but after that, the story seems to move along quite well. In the second half, some of Jules Verne's signature ultra-in-depth analyses and calculations are injected, which I enjoyed following. Verne closely describes the studies of cryptography, scuba diving, and, strangely, underwater body decomposition. If you can get past the dry parts detailing the geography and types of vegetation seen on the ...more
Jesse
This was a really good book. One of the best ones I've read by Verne, in fact every book I read by this author gets better than the last.
This story was a lot different from the others, though. Not as much action or science, but more of a drama. In fact, the story is rather anti climactic. It is set up in two parts, with the second part being more about the scientific stuff, all the action pretty much happened in the first part.
The begining of the story is probably the best part, and there is a
Ernest Hogan
Peculiar adventure on a giant raft with a luxury house built on it, going down an Amazon that may have been the inspiration for Venus in later science fiction stories.
Matt Kelland
It's easy to think of Verne as a sci-fi author, with his tales of voyages to the moon, the center of the earth, and his fantastic machines. However, he was first and foremost a teller of adventure tales. This one is a straightforward historical adventure which relates the story of a trip through the South American jungle. A cracking story filled with naturalistic and anthropological detail, and certainly as good as anything else he wrote.
Malika
A childhood's book memory, I do love Jules Verne's works, and I'd like to read more of his works
Sylvester
Verne either traveled in the Amazon or was one heckuva researcher - his description of the rafts' progress downriver is excellent. My favorite part was where the natives lined up to get their hair styled by the "famous" barber - good fun. Anyone who is interested in the Amazon will enjoy this novel. Its plot was a little disjointed, but the descriptions of wildlife and the natives of Brazil, all very good.
Whitepixels
A family travels on a giant raft along the Amazon river, from Iquitos to Belém. During the journey, they go through many dangers and adventures. What's more, the father is accused of a crime he never committed, and the only proof of his innocence is an encrypted document. His family and friends must race against time to decode it, before the man is executed.
jayson
This was a great adventure that had me on on the edge, and NEEDING to know how it would work out. A great detective type story. It had a simple explanation of cryptography I will use whenever I need to explain it to a non-tech person from now on (and this was freakin 1881!!!! awesome)

A lot of fun and you will not be disappointed for starting this one.
Chris
Good tale of a family floating down the amazon river set sometime in the late 1800's. Just like 20,000 leagues under the sea, there is a "monster" based on a real life creature. Pretty good tale, he spends a heck of a lot of time describing the amazon river tributaries... Almost got a 4/5 on my rating.
Stephen
This book reads more like H. Rider Haggard than Jules Verne. It is a travelogue. Most of the book is a trip along the Amazon river. Verne makes it interesting due to the history of the main character, the reason for the journey, and the eventual outcome.
Roar
I think I got hold of this book because the Kindle-edtion was free. The paperback version is about 400 pages. A bit too long descriptions of places along the Amazon River. Most modern readers will probably wish he had skipped much of that. The story is OK.
Monika Adamová
Tak túto knihu som nepoznala...ale bola fajn...staré, dobré, dobrodružná cesta, rozlúštenie tajnej šifry, spomenutý môj obľúbený Edgar Allan Poe a šťastný koniec :)
Niektoré knihy len tak zhltnem...toto bol taký malý 300 stranový hlt.

Kirt
Jules Verne was a living library of knowledge about geography, cryptography, and all manner of science. I confess to skimming the more effusive parts not critical to the tale. The story was satisfying. A good read.
Emanuela
Une aventure très passionnante, tell quelle sont généralement les aventures écrite par Jules Verne. C'est un de ces récits dont on en ne voudrait jamais terminer la lecture.
Martin
První polovina je detailní atlas fauny a flóry Amazonie druhé poloviny 19 století. Kniha začíná fakticky až ve své polovině, ale kdo vydrží, nelituje :-)
verne fan, too? 1 6 Jul 08, 2008 04:14AM
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
  • Cleopatra
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • The Monastery
  • The woman with the velvet necklace
  • Collected Novels
  • Sandokan: The Pirates of Malaysia
  • The Mortal Immortal: The Complete Supernatural Short Fiction of Mary Shelley
  • Le Capitaine Fracasse
  • The Parthian (The Parthian Chronicles, #1)
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • King Edward III
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • The League Of The Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Youth / Heart of Darkness / The End of the Tether
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City
  • The Blockade Runners
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)