Start by marking “Secret Asian Man” as Want to Read:
Secret Asian Man

Secret Asian Man

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Secret Asian Man is a hilarious and poignant look at the immigrant experience. Ang Tunay na Lalaki (Tagalog for "The Real Man") is the Filipino Marlboro Man, a macho and bare-chested endorser of gin. But when he finds himself in New York City and auditioning as a bit actor, disillusionment quickly sets in: he realizes he, an Asian man, will never be a sex symbol in America ...more
Published October 12th 2001 by Tia Chucha (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Asian Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Asian Man

Jamie
I bought this book at a sale my school was having, and got it because of the whimsical title. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was by a Filipino author, and I could relate to the parts where Filipino culture was brought up. I enjoyed the first half more than the second, but overall I thought it was a solid collection of poetry. I did question the author bringing himself into his own book, but I guess that's the nature of poetic license.
Iskul Bukul
I have read this book over and under and it has changed my life. It is full of mystery and allusions to Philippine culture as well as western deeds and misdeeds. Carbo is a poetic genius beyond compare.
Cathryn Cofell
This is a book every poetry lover should have in their collection. Funny, fun, insightful all in one. I adore this Secret Asian Man (and the poet within).
Phil
I recently found this slim book of poetry among my college debris; thought it was so funny back then... poignant too. It tells the story of this Filipino named Ang Tunay Na Lalaki who was kind of a bigshot c-list celebrity back in Manila but after moving to NYC is faceless, emasculated. All the poems, bearing titles such as "Ang Tunay Na Lalaki Explores the Chatrooms on AOL" and "Ang Tunay Na Lalaki Does His Laundry," are quirky and fresh.
Chary
Feb 04, 2008 Chary rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chary by: Jeremy Glazer
Shelves: anthology
Being a filipino, this book of poetry is awesome and halariously on point!
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Kaloy Añana
Kaloy Añana marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Angelo Padua
Angelo Padua marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Ayesha Macabangon
Ayesha Macabangon marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
John Wandling
John Wandling marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Eliza
Eliza marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Joven Carbon
Joven Carbon marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Yanna Valle
Yanna Valle marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Cricelle
Cricelle marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Patrick Troy
Patrick Troy marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Beverlykurtjr Cenidoza
Beverlykurtjr Cenidoza marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Babaylan: An Anthology of Filipina and Filipina-American Writers Returning a Borrowed Tongue: An Anthology of Filipino and Filipino American Poetry El Grupo McDonalds Andalusian Dawn Pinoy Poetics: A Collection Of Autobiographical And Critical Essays On Filipino And Filipino American Poetics