Start by marking “Śrī Īśopaniṣad: The Knowledge That Brings One Nearer to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kṛṣṇa” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Sanskrit words Sri Isopanisad mean "the knowledge that brings one nearer
to the Supreme Person." As such, Sri Isopanisad directly counters the
teachings of modern science, which say that at the root of existence lies
not a person but merely abstract laws governing the chance collision of
subatomic particles in the vast void of time and space.

Individually, we rebel at the p

Published April 1st 1993 by Bhaktivedanta Book Trust (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Śrī Īśopaniṣad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Śrī Īśopaniṣad

Sep 09, 2015 Robert marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A monk gave me this, today. Anybody know anything about it?
Leszek Rybicki
Only two stars for a couple of reasons: clumsy use of scientific fact to support matters of belief and tendency to divide people into hierarchical casts. Didn't like the author's attitude to nonbelievers. Otherwise - a good introduction to Krsna teachings.
Revati Ragini
For me, this is the kind of book I read a little of each day, over and over again.
Good overview of the hare krishna movement.
One of the first of books; one of the best of books! This is a revelation, to be heard sitting at the feet of a Master. The slokas of Sri Isopanisad have been with my all my life during schooling, but the meaning came clear only after reading the crystal clear purports offerred by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami. Offerred as prayers to Vishnu by the Sun God Vivasvan, these slokas are timeless and unfathomable in their power to transform our consciousness. It would be a great exercise f ...more
The version I have is the original 1969 pressing so I'm sure it's a little bit different than the the book that is shown here in Goodreads. I bought this book from the ISKON website hoping that it would help me better understand the version of the Upanishads that I am currently reading. Sri Isopanishad however is itself one of the 223 texts that make up the complete Upanishads. Sri Isopanishad is also one of the shortest and possibly among the latest written of the texts, making it a very quick ...more
This book was a gift from a hari Krishna that I kept seeing in downtown budapest. I told her I would read it and then talk to her about it at their headquarters for Budapest near Zsofi's house.

It was a good read in that it made me think about my spiritual goals and standing. There were some wierd tidbits here and there about the afterlife and reincarnation, but some good ideas on that a person should devote their life to the the science of spiritualism. It has been over two months so I have forg
This book does some work explaining and elaborating on the 18 mantras of Sri Isopanisad. He takes a look at where we stand as flawed physical sentient beings within the cycles of repeated death and birth, plus how to break away from that, the material plane, and the law of Karma. This book is about uniting with God, through the guide of a teacher, and ending the painful process of rebirth.
The book was quite complex to read and understand, but I did enjoy it.
Very interesting. By the end some loose ends of knowledge had been put into better order (in my head). In the last chapters his descriptions of the place of Krishna, brahmajyoti, devotional service, and how he perceived them to fit together was an aha! moment. Sometimes people are given edicts to follow but it is not explained why and not given the bigger picture. I got a slightly bigger picture from reading this book. Interesting to hear his bhakta viewpoint. I'm left wondering if someone from ...more
Jan 05, 2013 Chris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I only own this book because I was given it by a monk (well, I say "given it", I was told he wasn't asking any money for the books before asking for money for them). I may or may not bother to read it, most likely it will go to a friend who is into this sort of thing, for now it will loiter on the table.

This seems to be a newer edition of Śrī Īśopaniṣad
Mark R.
The four-star rating here is kind of random. I'm not sure how one goes about assigning a star rating to a religious text, so four seems as good as any number.

This book was given to me by someone who follows the teachings of Krsna as a general introduction to Krsna Consciousness. It is a very quick read, complete with a glossary and a guide for pronunciation of Sanskrit words, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone curious about Krsna Consciousness.
Jason Marciak
The Sri Isopanisad is a guide into the beginnings of the knowledge of the Vedas. This manuscript gives a novice reader insight into the way of the all pervading godhead as both a key to worship and a methodology of living rightly from the perspective of the Vedic texts of knowledge. It's a useful book for anyone looking to expand their life perspectives and deepen their understanding of Vedic life.
Ian Schenck
I found myself standing on a train platform with a bag full of books I had just finished, so there was a Hare Krsna standing there with a box of books.

I read this in entirety by the time I got home (the train was a bit slow). It's an easy read, maybe too easy if you're already familiar with most of this line of literature (as I am).

Decent. It is what it is.
Jan 23, 2010 Vanessa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vanessa by: Hare Krishna dude
an Israeli Hare Krishna gave this to me in Square-Phillips (Mtl). a *ton* of circular arguments, but if you can ignore that, very interesting stuff. beautiful prose. excellent appendices include a list of the Vedic texts, glossary and Sanskrit pronunciation guide. worth keeping just for that.
I read this book in order to open my mind. It was very difficult to read, both the style and content making it so. It did make me think, but there are a number of ideas I don't agree with.
Belousov Sergey
Удивительная книга. Маленькая, толщиной с пол-сантиметра. Но плотность, весомость ее куда больше, чем все тома Толстого и Достоевского
May 30, 2011 Jane added it
was not as impressed with this as I was the Bhagavad Gita or even the Krsna books (2 volume set)
A little bit complicated for me to read but I managed to finish it :)
Very fine book.
Jacob Senholt
Interesting read and a good introductory book to Gaudia Vaishnavism.
RK Byers
couldn't make sense of this thing at all.
David Pearce
David Pearce marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Murat marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Iryna added it
Nov 16, 2015
Maja Vuckovic
Maja Vuckovic is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2015
James Horta
James Horta marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
M Gopalakrishnan
M Gopalakrishnan marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
  • Darsan: Seeing the Divine Image in India
  • The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami
  • Science of Being and Art of Living: Transcendental Meditation
  • A Student's Introduction to English Grammar
  • An American Hedge Fund; How I Made $2 Million as a Stock Market Operator & Created a Hedge Fund
  • Ключ из желтого металла
  • Tales of the Elders of Ireland
  • From Fatwa to Jihad
  • The Crisis of Psychoanalysis - Essays on Freud, Marx & Social Psychology
  • The Mabinogi and Other Medieval Welsh Tales
  • Road to Underfall (Loremasters of Elundium, #1)
His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada was born in 1896 in Calcutta, India. He first met his spiritual master, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami, in Calcutta in 1922. Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, a prominent devotional scholar and the founder of sixty-four branches of Gaudiya Mathas (Vedic institutes), liked this educated young man and convinced him to dedicate his life to teach ...more
More about A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda...