Start by marking “Embroideries” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  11,365 ratings  ·  1,030 reviews
From the best-selling author of Persepolis comes this gloriously entertaining and enlightening look into the sex lives of Iranian women. Embroideries gathers together Marjane's tough-talking grandmother, stoic mother, glamorous and eccentric aunt and their friends and neighbors for an afternoon of tea drinking and talking. Naturally, the subject turns to love, sex and the ...more
Published April 19th 2005 by Pantheon (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Embroideries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embroideries

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanGhost World by Daniel ClowesBatman by Alan MooreDaytripper by Fábio Moon
Best One-Off Graphic Novels
32nd out of 106 books — 75 voters
The Second Sex by Simone de BeauvoirThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieThe Summer Book by Tove Jansson
Women Around the World
308th out of 680 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Pramod Nair
"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul." – a dictum from Marjane Satrapi’s grandmother.

Reading ‘Embroideries’ from Marjane Satrapi was like reading some missing pages from ‘Persepolis’, her renowned autobiographical series. In ‘Persepolis’ she gave much insights to the reader about the social and political life of Iran during her childhood, but through ‘Embroideries‘ Satrapi manages to illustrate the closed personal world of Iranian women in an amusing manner.

In this slice of an
Reading this graphic novel was like being invited to tea with a group of Iranian women, except that the talk turned (interestingly enough) to arranged marriages, cheating husbands, and faking your virginity. The images strengthened the words in such a way that when I was done reading it I actually felt like I knew and had spent a little time with these women.

It's interesting, because their conversation makes it seem like they have some power (while living under harsh social restrictions) but as
Hippo dari Hongkong
Story about various Iranian women. They're sit back and relax in the afternoon while sipping a hot cup of tea. But not just that, they all have a tale to tell.
And the story begin...

"To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart."

Pertama-tama ketika nge-mark as to read gw pernah komen "Mari ngebordir" , yang dikasi komen sama Lita di message #1 dan saya ngasi komen "wah, rok mini mah cepet keknya ngebordirnya, siap lah" di message #2. Nah, setelah beres membaca b
Mar 23, 2008 Hilda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Satrapi fans
I was disappointed by Marjane Satrapi's follow up to the fantastic two volume "Persepolis".

In "Embroideries", the setting is an after-dinner tea party between several women of different ages telling their stories abut love and sex. The potential is fantastic to really delve into the beliefs and traditions surrounding these topics. But rather than tell the complete stories with depth, she merely flits over them, so that you get a taste but little substance. She tells the stories of about 7 women
awal na bingung dengan judul na. bordir. kirain diskusi selama kisah ini berlangsung ketika acara membordir bersama, atau mungkin kegiatan membordir (yang notabene kebanyakan dikerjakan oleh perempuan) membuat para perempuan ini saling bercerita, ngobrol dengan peserta lain. ternyata... jauh banget hubungan na.

kegiatan ini dilakukan bukan saat membaut bordir tapi saat minum teh. dan bordir di sini menggunakan media yang berbeda. tidak hanya sekedar obrolan, tapi kalau dicermati lebih lagi...

A much more chatty account than Persepolis but one full of warmth, humour and a group of fascinating women sharing their wisdom. Through the eyes of a 21st century British feminist, the women's ideas of empowerment and control in relationships are a little tough to swallow, but there's something undeniably powerful in the way these stories are told to us: no mincing of words, just the truth, with all the sadness and humour contained within.
Tukang Kueh Keren
Embroideries adalah buku karya Marjane Satrapi kedua yang saya baca. Sebelumnya saya beruntung memperoleh buku Revolusi Iran, Dongeng seorang anak ditumpukan buku bekas di Pasar Buku Palasari.

Jika dalam Dongeng seorang anak, cerita-cerita yang disajikan cukup "kelam", bagaimana Marji kecil menghadapi revolusi Iran, dalam Embroideries (diterjemahkan menjadi Bordir) dibahas kisah lucu sekaligus getir yang terjadi di antara para wanita Iran tersebut.

Dibuka dengan makan siang bersama di rumah keluar
Seth T.
The embroideries of the book’s title refer to the surgical restoration of one’s vagina to a state similar to that of a virgin. Whether this includes hymen reconstruction or merely the tightening of an age-and-use-worn genitalia, Satrapi’s book never makes clear. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, probably. What is equally unclear is the reason for naming her extended anecdote in this way. Really, I just don’t know.

Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi

Embroideries covers the ground of a single afternoon’s conversation between ten
Dove ero io quando dovevo conoscere la Satrapi?

Io la amo già, sto aspettando trepidante che "Persepolis" arrivi a casa!

Una trama che può sembrare a prima vista banale e 'già vista', ma che permette al lettore occidentale di conoscere la situazione delle donne in Iran: il matrimonio, il sesso e cosa voglia dire nascere donna in questo paese..
Divertente, toccante e illuminante!

Marjane sei la mia nuova eroina!!

"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul."

-Sometimes funny, and sometimes quite horrifying but all rather eye-opening. I was really impressed by how much Iranian culture, history, and humour could be infused into what amounted to be a simple, every-day gathering of Iranian woman having tea and a "gap-shap" (gossip)… The women talk about first loves, sex, arranged marriages, forced marriages and husbands in general.

-I was quite surprised by how modern and forward thinking some of the women were — having plastic surgery, taking l

ساتراپی میگه همه ما داستان خودمون رو داریم اما این که چه طور روایتشون کنیم مهمه

داستان انتخابی ساتراپی تو این اثر هم به اندازه روایت مجموعه پرسپولیس برای
ما اشناست هرچند از لحاظ اهمیت موضوعی می تونه تو سطح پایین تری قرار بگیره

بعد از یک مهمونی ناهار، زنان خانواده تو اتاقی جدا دور از مردانشون دور هم
جمع میشن به صرف چای و البته غیبت

هر کدوم از زنان این جمع با سن و سلیقه های متفاوت به عنوان نماینده یک سبک فکری و لایف استایل از نظراتشون راجع به عشق ، سکس ، ازدواج ، پیش داوری ها و تعصبات بیجا ، راز
Hair-raising Iranian gossip. You keep wanting to join in. "Oh wow! What a great story! Now let me tell you about something that happened to a friend of mine..."
Eleni (OverThePlace)
Review στο:

Τη Marjane Satrapi γνώρισα από το graphic novel Persepolis, μία αυτοβιογραφική ιστορία ενηλικίωσης μιας κοπέλας που γεννήθηκε και μεγάλωσε στο Ιράν. Οι γονείς της ήταν Μαρξιστές σε μία χώρα εξτρεμιστικής θρησκείας και πολιτεύματος. Επέλεξαν λοιπόν να στείλουν τη κόρη τους να σπουδάσει στη Βιέννη και τώρα πλέον ζει μόνιμα στο Παρίσι. Το Persepolis ήταν τολμηρό, ειλικρινές και απίστευτα αστείο. Δεν περίμενα λοιπόν τίποτα λιγότερο από το Embroider
Dec 22, 2014 Margie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women
Hmm...which shelf to file this on? Between this and The Proof of the Honey, I need only one more book before I add a "Middle Eastern-not-quite-erotica" shelf.

This isn't erotica, of course. There's nothing even remotely erotic about older Iranian women sitting around laughing about being married off as teenagers to old men, or about how funny-looking penises are. I could almost add this to my "humor" shelf instead. Reading it was like joining a bunch of women friends or sisters and chatting about
Brief, gossipy exploration of the sexual morality of young and old women living in Iran. Pithy banter and sharp wit about marriage, love, and sex is not quite enough to push this into the three star category. But almost.
“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.”
Paul Eckert
Ever wanted to listen to a bunch of Iranian women riff on their love lives? Wait no more.

That's a simplistic overview of this book, but the book doesn't really set out to be overtly profound, either.

Satrapi uses her engaging black-and-white drawings to illustrate a conversation of her women relatives discussing their first loves, losing their virginity, their marriages to horrible men, and sexual misadventures. The stories are told by various women of varying age with different attitudes towar
A funny little romp through the sex lives of Iranian women by the author of a more serious work, Persepolis. Embroideries is a very quick and light read which could be read in about 30 minutes. So, if you happen to be in a bookstore next time, you can read through it without even paying for it!

But make sure you buy and treasure Persepolis if you haven't already read Marjane Satrapi's more serious works.
Federiken Masters
Feb 03, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans del género y de la autora
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Linda obra, aunque quizás no la pude disfrutar del todo por dos razones: Me gustó mucho más Persépolis, así que aunque la haya pasado bien leyéndola pensaba "pero Persépolis está mejor". Y porque soy hombre. Sé que las señoras que se la pasan hablando mal de mi género durante todo el libro tienen muy buenas razones para hacerlo, pero eso no quita que sea un libro pensado por y para mujeres. Las historias sentimento-sexuales de estas mujeres son divertidas, emotivas, interesantes y están muy bien ...more
Aurora  Fitzrovia
Ich bin etwas hin und hergerissen. Einerseits war es durchaus unterhaltsam, aber andererseits hätten die Geschichten ruhig etwas länger sein können...
This was very funny and a quick read. Satrapi discusses important themes in a very good way I think.
Adrianne Mathiowetz
Fun, I guess? In a kind of People-Magazine-reading, vaguely tiring way? Marjane Satrapi puts you in a room of her Iranian gossiping female relatives, where everyone's sex lives are discussed and judged: from wandering husbands to plastic surgery to the various methods of faking virginity on one's wedding night. Interesting insofar as the stories and values are foreign, and depressing insofar as they are familiar. But at the end I needed some kind of commentary, beyond "men sure are from Mars and ...more
I was amused, engaged... and rattled by this deceptively deep little book.

When I picked it up (out of the trash (sort of)), I didn't expect too much from a very short graphic novel.

But then again, I didn't consider what Marjane Satrapi can do with a very short graphic novel.

The women in Marjane's life recount their sexcapades and romantic disasters over (possibly opium-infused) tea one night. While some stories are raunchy and a tad nasty (body fluids are involved), others are jarring: women p
I love Satrapi. She's funny and original. She writes about things that other writers shy away from. I love that she uses her own life and people that she knows to tell stories. Embroideries is a story about women and what they talk about when there are no men present. They talk about other women and about men. They gossip. They unburden their hearts. They talk about sex. They share personal memories and triumphs and losses. It's a beautiful story and a funny one, a snapshot of Iranian culture an ...more
іранські жінки мають чимало страшних історій до розповідання. у цих конкретних, які зібралися попліткувати після якогось, мабуть, родинного свята, усе зазвичай закінчується добре (їх би тут не було, якби закінчувалося погано, чи не так?), тому зовсім макабричних розповідей тут нема – але є достатньо жартівливих зовні й лячних, коли про них замислитися.
This Is the first Graphic Novel I have ever read and I absolutely adore it.
Firstly, I love that it's based in Iran, where I wouldn't expect women sitting and talking so freely about sex, marriage, losing virginities and divorces. I know I sound like I have stereotypes about women living in Iran, but to be frank, most of us do until we meet people from a particular place or visit it. And i don't know if I would ever be that lucky but the novel provides some realistic and hilarious ins
My first graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi.
I was over the moon when I finally found her books.
so I decided to start with this one because the cover is so lovely.

I enjoyed the stories in this, and the drawings added up a great deal to that.
It is short. so it can be read in one hour if you want to. but I decided to take my time since I'm in a place where English/Arabic books can't be found.

My favorite story was the white magic one, it was so hilarious.
There was also the story about faking virg
This is the first graphic novel I have read, and what a delight it was. The combined effect of the words and the pictures was like being a fly on the wall at afternoon tea with a bunch of Iranian women. It's a window into a world which is different to mine, and yet I could still relate to much of it. Serious themes are touched on as part of the afternoon's gossip - you can take that as far as you want to, leaving it on the surface or exploring it further. At the same time there is humour, much o ...more
Saya merekomendasikan Embroideries.

Pengarang novel grafis Persepolis ini menghadirkan sudut pandang mengenai perempuan dan polemik kehidupan seksualnya di tengah ruang sosial, Iran pada khususnya, yang sarat nilai patriarkis dengan gaya yang jujur dan 'witty'.

Bagaimana merekayasa keperawanan? Bagaimana membuat laki-laki terpikat?
Apakah benar penting operasi payudara itu? Bagaimana dengan jahit selapur dara?

Setiap siasat untuk menempatkan diri dengan kesesuaian di antara nilai-nilai patriarki yan
Sep 18, 2012 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maria by: Cynthia
Took it last night to "read up a little bit before sleeping"... I ended up sleeping a little bit after reading.
  • Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)
  • Burma Chronicles
  • Carnet de Voyage
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Two: The Day After
  • Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale
  • Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She a
More about Marjane Satrapi...

“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.” 289 likes
“To be the mistress of a married man is to have the better role. Do you realize? His dirty shirt, his disgusting underwear, his daily ironing, his bad breath, his hemorrhoid attacks, his fuss, not to mention his bad moods, and his tantrums. Well all that is for his wife.
When a married man comes to his mistress... he's always bleached and ironed, his teeth sparkle, his breath is like perfume, he's in a good mood, he's full of conversation, he is there to have a good time with you.”