Start by marking “Missouri Boy” as Want to Read:
Missouri Boy

Missouri Boy

2.79 of 5 stars 2.79  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Firecrackers lighting up an ancient tree on a summer night. Twin boys born the same night their grandmother passes away. Teenagers hanging by their fingertips from the roof of a parking garage. These are the moments of quiet poetry that make up Leland Myrick's Missouri Boy. Happiness alternates with tragedy in these snapshots of Myrick's own Missouri childhood. Filled with...more
Published September 5th 2006 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Missouri Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missouri Boy

Tony Cafiso
Missouri Boy is based off of Leland Myrick's own life. It starts off when he is being born and ends when he goes to California on a motorcycle trip to see a girl he met in college. It is written almost poetically but, being a graphic novel, the words have to work with the pictures. Having a poetic text to go with the story makes his story much more meaningful and emotional. I liked reading this because i could relate to some of it. For example, when he talks about his forth of july traditions, t...more
Nicole
This memoir could just as easily be for adults as young adults. Myrick has basically created a graphic memoir of memorable events from his childhood. What makes this novel charming is the way Myrick approaches the memoir - as a series of snapshots really. On first blush, a reader might have trouble connecting the events shared by Myrick, or figuring out why he selected to highlight these specific events. But then, memory is just that unpredictable. Looking back on our lives, it can sometimes be...more
Austin
This book was a very good book. I enjoyed it a lot it is a short book and it is very interesting to read. This book is about two twin boys who like to do things together. But when they get older thay start to change.
I liked this book a lot i gave it a 4 star rateing because it was a good book and it kept my interist throughout the whole book. i reccomend this book to people who like to read a good story.
John Hornbrook
Missouri boy is a graphic autobiography that follows well, the Missouri boy. Now its not a full autobiography but rather a collection of important memories and experiences that Leland Myrick has compiled. They don't include the pivotal moment that you would thick would shape a human being. Instead they are seemingly insignificant events that have apparently shaped his life. This includes things like traditions as children or dangerous activities as young adults, Love, fun, sadness and wonder as...more
D
A coming of age tale that simply could have been better.
Jeremy
Began with promise, then tapered off into pleasant. There are better books waiting to claw their way out of this author's skull, or perhaps I'd find more to enjoy in one of his two earlier offerings. I'll certainly give them a look if I come across them. Maybe it's me, but once he started dealing with his early days working at a hospital, I stopped caring. No more hospital-based entertainment please, everyone. I don't care if it's based in fact or not. Anyway, much like Pia Zadora circa 1982, it...more
Loyd
This one sneaks up on you. It's a view of growing up in Missouri through the eyes of a boy who has an obvious but unexplainable yearning for bigger things. The story, told in "snapshots" over several years, is gentle and can easily be dismissed at first glance, but when you start deciphering the visual elements, it grows richer and more complex. I was not familiar with Myrick's work, but I love the publisher (:01 Second Books) and thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I did.
Emilia P
After the junk I was reading, this seems totally awesome. It's really unique, a little sad, lyrical, quick, yes, a bit disjointed, but it felt really personal and honest, and I am pro-that. It built a gentle tension and the end was a surprising breath of relief. I wouldn't say it's about the Midwestern life, it's ... about the spookiness of childhood. Nothing fantastic, but not bad at all.
Lars Guthrie
Continuing my romp through First Second's graphic novel collection, I found this one entertaining but nothing to rave about. There is a set of wordless panels at the end where the protagonist rides through Eastern forest, out into the great open spaces of the Southwestern desert, through Las Vegas, across the Mojave and into Los Angeles that were particularly evocative for me.
Bill
Some evocative aspects but overall this didn't strike me as being particularly well-crafted, either structurally or in terms of 'character'ization and relationships. Perhaps the oddest thing to me was that here's a twin who has virtually nothing to say about his twin, other than to recount some of their activities as kids and then to have him disappear 2/3 of the way through the book.
Steve
"Growing up in the Midwest is quaint.
Now give me $17 please."

That's essentially the content of this book. The art and "stories" (such as they are--they're more like mood pieces since nothing really happens in them) are atmospheric but a bit too overtly so. And the plot of this book is too thin (as is the page count) to justify the expense of this book, if you ask me.
Susan Rose
This graphic novel follows the main character as he grows up through brief glimpses of him at different points in his life. Its a good enough story however it just didn't leave any impression on me due to the glimpses of his life being too brief for me to get a grip on any of the characters.
Treasure
While a nice look at the formative moments in the author's life, I found the book boring and well, rather Vanity Publishing-esque. I just couldn't bring myself to care about what was happening to him, which is awful since the stories are true. His writing and drawing just didn't draw me in.
J.
I love Myrick's linework, the deceptively simple art, here. There are some incredible individual panels, too...that negative-reversal style panel in the chapter about the pond is masterful. Even if the story wasn't lovely, the art would still make this a 5-star novel.
Johnny
It was nice. Cute drawings, cute musings. Nothing that's going to stick with you and never leave, but a nice porch read for the autumn days. A small collection of poetry with a small collection of well-drawn art.

Sad there wasn't anything about noodling, though.
Sue
it was okay - i picked it up because one of my 8th grade boys was "reading" it. pretty sure that he would get nothing out of it because it about growing up in a world he can't relate too. i could because i was born the same year. some of his experiences i shared.
Lauren
Odd. Disjointed stories of childhood. I didn't realize it was poetry until the end of the book, which helped some but not much. The problem is.. There is barely any way readers can connect to this story. I have a feeling it will collect dust on my shelves...
Samar
it was very basic and i would say that if you need to read a memoir for LA or something, this ISN'T the right book to read. it wont help especially if you will need to talk or write about the book.
Kyle Cato
the book was a graphic novel on poems. I did not like it because it was`t allot and I could`t find the moral of the story. The book would be for a mature reader in high school or colledge.
Karen Bovenmyer
I could feel the pain of some of these poem-memories easily. The art style reminds me of old underground comics from the 60s, stored in locked cages under the university library.
Sara
Read like a book of poetry, only illustrated. I enjoyed this book quite a bit, although the style of drawing was not my favorite, the prose made up for it.
Julianne Hyatt
A sweet book, though I don't think I would have read it if it weren't about MO. Very short snippets of moments in his life.
Marissa
A coming-of-age story told through brilliantly drawn and colored vignettes. Sharp writing and a unique art style.
Marianna
I guess I liked it. A little sad. I could tell that the author was a poet as well as an artist.
Rob
kind of weird. reinforces for me that i could write a book and get published quite easily.
Nura
It's really a brave decision he took... maybe someday I'll do it too...
Geoff Sebesta
Boring. Sorta pretty. Exactly the sort of thing First Second publishes.
Jan
Apr 02, 2007 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Graphic novel fans of Blankets
This is a wonderful and evocative look at childhood, in graphic novel form.
Carrie
Just not my thing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Ten  (The Kingdom of Graves, #1) Bright Elegy Mark of the Blooded (The Kingdom of Graves, #2) The Sweet Collection Feynman