Start by marking “Ordinary Victories” as Want to Read:
Ordinary Victories

Ordinary Victories (Le combat ordinaire #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  759 ratings  ·  51 reviews
This is the story of Marc, a photographer who’s tired, of a very patient chick he meets, of banal horrors and of his pain-in-the-neck cat. It’s the story of his art thrown against heavy anxiety attacks; of a really cute woman in his small town who seems to take to him against all odds; of the old neighbor, a peaceful likable fellah until you get to know his disturbing role...more
Published May 1st 2005 by NBM Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ordinary Victories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordinary Victories

Red Rackham's Treasure by HergéThe Incal by Alejandro JodorowskyThe Nikopol Trilogy by Enki BilalTintin in Tibet by HergéAsterix in Britain by René Goscinny
Best European Graphic Novels/Comics
37th out of 419 books — 125 voters
Hellboy, Vol. 5 by Mike MignolaThe Amazing Screw-on Head and Other Curious Objects by Mike MignolaThe Complete Buddy Bradley Stories from Hate Comics, Vol. 2 by Peter BaggeThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 11 by Charles M. SchulzFrank in the River by Jim Woodring
Perfect comics
10th out of 20 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Troy
[image error]

I've been reading a lot of beautiful comics lately.

Hell, I've been reading a lot of beautiful books, in general, lately.

And Manu Larcenet's Ordinary Victories is a beautiful book. It's a largely rambling slice of life, which follows Marco, a photo journalist "taking pictures of corpses or people in the process of becoming ones" who is tired of his old life. Marco is a neurotic dweeb who has just quit his old profession, just stopped therapy, and just moved to the French countryside...more
Leo Horovitz
This contains the first to parts of Larcenet's Ordinary Victories, translated into English from the original French. The stories are about a photographer who has problems with anxiety. He's also sick of his work lately and feeling generally lost and lonely. Meeting his brother for some "big fat joints" and video games seems to bring some happiness into his life, but not much else seems able to produce that effect. After his cat gets a minor injury, he meets an interesting female vet with whom he...more
Brenton Nichol
I'm not sure if this is autobiographical or not, but the complexity and nuance of the characters makes me feel like it is; it's tough to get away with characterization such as that in this book without it being based on reality.
I enjoyed this. It's what I call a slice-of-life story - you get to watch a character for a section of life; nothing wild, nothing crazy, just life. It follows a down-and-out photojournalist as he learns to truly love a woman, as he comes to grips with his father's ailing...more
Federiken Masters
Mar 28, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Antidepresivos
Recommended to Federiken by: Pelado y demás
Con este me terminó pasando algo parecido a lo que me pasó poco después con Gus: me hablaron tan pero tan bien que cuando finalmente me leí el comic me quedó gusto a poco. Es más: iba en el bondi leyéndolo cuando un pelado se me sienta al lado, y tuvimos esta conversación:
-Muy buen cómic, eh. Muy triste también.
-Por ahora viene bastante gracioso.
-Sí, esperá vas a ver cómo sigue.
-Ah...
Y después se puso a leer La Isla Panorama de Maruo y seguimos cada uno en lo suyo...
Quizás tendría que haberme ma...more
Matti Karjalainen
Ranskalaisen Manu Larcenetin "Pieniä voittoja" (WSOY, 2006) on modernin, aikuisille suunnatun sarjakuvan kirkkaimpia helmiä.

Sarjakuvataiteilijan karikatyyrimaiset makkaranenät voisivat olla ulkomuotonsa puolesta lähtöisin jostakin huumorisarjakuvasta, mutta päähenkilönsä Marcon kautta sarjassa käsitellään toinen toistaan painavampia teemoja, jotka pysäyttävät kolmekymmentä-ja-risaisen lukijansa uudelleen ja uudelleen. Sitoutumiskammo, suhde ikääntyviin vanhempiin, paniikkihäiriö, kyllästyminen t...more
Dominic Tiberio
This is one of those rare times when almost anything I write is not going to be adequate to convey all of the thoughts and emotions and depth necessary to cover the subject properly. It would also take far more words to describe all of that than to simply read the book, and still I would fall far short. There is only one other book I can think of that I have encountered where I was struck with this same thought, and it was The Tao te Ching. That is rarified air for a "lowly" graphic novel. There...more
Vincenzo Aversa
La paziente e sconvolgente routine giornaliera descritta attraverso la forza invisibile del vivere quotidiano. Divertente, quasi comico, ma vigliacco nel mostrare la faccia spietata del vivere comune.
Aildiin
Au premier abord le dessin de Manu Larcenet n'est pas du genre qui m'attire. Heureusement j'ai ecoute les critiques plustot que mes gouts personnels et j'en suis ravis. Car comme Blast, c'est une superbe BD et apres 5 livres ( les 4 tomes de Blast et ce livre) je suis maintenant devenu un tres grand fan de Manu Larcenet et ma nouvelle vocation est de convaincre le reste du monde de lire egalement ses oeuvres...

Que dire d'autre de ce livre, si ce n'est que c'est une chronique sociale qui traite d...more
Joseph Young
So a burnt out photographer who seems to want to coast struggles with life. He seems to be a slacker who wants things to never change and gets angry with anyone who wants change.

Throughout the book, he starts becoming more accepting of the change the future brings and what has to be done in life.

My favourite part was during the artshow. A rockstar artist, who he is doing a show with, completely makes fun of his work to the groupie friends behind the photographer's back a couple days before the...more
Peacegal
Marc is a young man who suffers from panic attacks, hates work, abhors change, loves photography, adores his pet cat, and feels profoundly and obsessively betrayed by a former friend who wasn't at all what he seemed. So far, so good.

I really wanted to like this book more. After experiencing a spate of memoir-style comic books that weasel in subplots about breeding, I paged through this one diligently before I checked it out of the library. When I didn't see any delivery room scenes or illustrati...more
Clumsy
Marco è un fotografo di guerra che un giorno decide di ritirarsi nella campagna francese insieme al suo gatto e ai suoi attacchi di panico. Seguiamo le sue giornate, impariamo a conoscere quella paura che sembra bloccare ogni sua possibilità di allontanarsi dai riti abituali, quel buco nero dentro ben protetto dalla corazza che gli fa tenere un po' a distanza tutti. Incontriamo con lui la veterinaria carina di cui si innamorerà, conosciamo il fratello e la sua fidanzata e vediamo la loro vita sc...more
Eva Mitnick
This is considered a "grown-up" graphic novel in my library system, but I think YAs would love it. There's no rampant sex, and only the most light-hearted consumption of large amounts of marijuana, so why not put it in the teen collection?
This is about a young Frenchman named Marco, who used to be a renowned photographer of foreign wars and exotic locations but who is somewhat of a self-pitying slacker. He still loves photography, but wants to do it on his own terms - however, it takes him a wh...more
Sarri
Tämä sarjakuva pisti keskusteluissa silmään, joten ajattelin lukaista sen. En usko, että olisin tarttunut albumiin muuten. Tarina liippasi vähän liian läheltä aikana, jolloin en missään tapauksessa tarvitsisi muistutuksia elämän nurjista puolista.

En tiedä, luenko sarjan muita albumeita, jos ovat yhtä masentavia.
Korynn
A book about a young man who begins to realize some of the hypocrisies of life. That people who have done morally wrong things you disagree with can still be likable people. That artists whose work you like may be in life people you can't stand. That your parents despite all that's been said and done are still your parents, and even when you finally come to terms with that fact things still remain unsaid too late. That relationships are based on compromise. And that people you like may have poli...more
Alexander
Ordinary Victories is a really good, solid story of a young photographer whose father is going senile, at a time when he is photographing the shipyard his father worked in and the men who worked there, in an attempt to record the way of life of these men, which is about to end when the shipyard is closed. He's between two worlds, not quite in the one he'll in habit next, and not out of the one he wants to leave, and a lot rests on this photo project for him professionally, as well. Through it al...more
Stephen
Ordinary Victories is a bittersweet, slice-of-life story about Marco, a young, slightly neurotic, photographer with slacker tendencies. He struggles with commitment - in his personal and professional life. Full of nicely realised characters, complex relationships, and the consequent everyday struggles, which (sometimes) lead to the eponymous ordinary victories. It feels very true to life.

The art is very nicely done - quite cartoony in parts (a little reminiscent of Trondheim in places) with occa...more
Crude art but uses a range of techniques and the story is thoughtful and compelling. Lots of thoughts and ideas in a small space.
Gregoire
très français mais j'adore toute la série plus pour l'histoire et la façon dont elle est narrée que pour les dessins
Malapata
Los combates cotidianos es la historia de un fotógrafo que ya no quiere seguir siéndolo, de un neurótico que teme el cambio, de un personaje humano, entrañable y confundido. Un cómic de aire triste, cuyos personajes se sienten cercanos y al que sólo hay que reprocharle su corta duración, que deja con las ganas de saltar sobre el siguiente volumen a saber cómo seguirá la vida la vida de su protagonista.
Rosanne
I read this on the heels of Darwyn Cooke's adaptation of The Hunter. This book felt very French to me, with a nice mix of philosophical and psychological overtones. The drawings were more "comic-y" and I felt that they did less to tell the story on their own, but, still, they were nice compliments to the words. Marco was an incredibly frustrating character for me, though. I wanted to reach into the storyboard and smack him into action. Any longer at his pity party and I would have been bored.
Philippe Lhoste
Marco est un jeune photographe de presse qui déprime après avoir photographié « des cadavres exotiques ou gens en passe de le devenir » en Birmanie ou Kabylie.
Le titre est bien choisi : il montre le combat de tous les jours, fait de petits riens (visites à la famille, nouvelles connaissances), pour remonter à la surface et regagner l'envie de créer.

On sent des racines auto-biographiques, mais enrobées d'humour. Un album profond et plaisant.
Margot
Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety. And some more anxiety. Marc is a photojournalist who's too depressed (and anxious!) to work, too selfish to have a meaningful relationship, and too self-righteous to forgive. But he also manages to be a somewhat compelling character, dealing with an economic shift from his working-class upbringing to a privileged professional career, and getting out of touch with his roots. He can never go home again, it seems.
kubby
Jan 22, 2008 kubby added it
yeah, i really liked parts of this book--personal and touching.
i read it this past fall for my graphic novel discussion group.
it' basically a guy going through life and learning and growing as he struggles with his career, his father's failing health, how to grow with his relationship, his reactions to different people.
there are french editions. the one i read was translated to english.
Vito
Mi sa che corro il rischio di entrare in fissa con il fumetto francese: dopo Monsieur Jean ho scoperto questo prezioso volume, e mi è piaciuto anche di più di Jean.
Lo scontro quotidiano è divertente, commovente e non troppo minimalista (non minimalista alla cazzo, soprattutto) e con un protagonista che già dopo due pagine è diventato il mio nuovo migliore amico.
Mikael Kuoppala
Manu Larcenet offers a bittersweet story or Marc, a photographer in his thirties who is struggling against an experience of meaninglessness and clinical depression. The story is not the most original or engaging, but there are moments when “Ordinary Victories” reaches clear insights that invite to contemplate the big questions in life.
Erin
I'm not even sure what to say about this graphic novel. I adore it. It's one of my favorite books, and it launched my secret obsession with ships. This is going to sound cliche coming from a novice graphic novel reader, but: I amazed at how a single frame can convey more than an entire chapter. Please, read this book.
Garconniere
Meh. Some aspects were really fun and interesting, but overall I found it fell a bit flat. Wish more time had been spent thinking about the class aspect of the young man and his affection for the shipyard workers. Relationship with the vet felt trite and stereotypical, so so utterly predictable.
Ross Connelly
I am a graphic novel junkie. This one is a keeper too. The story is a sad one. It explores some of France's guilt over their big dumb war in Algeria but it is mostly about a photographer's life in the countryside and his search for happiness. I don't know if you can get it in English or not.
Paul
I read this well over a year ago, but right after finishing it, I knew it was one of my favorite graphic novels I've ever read.

It's quite focused on the ennui of young people (hey, that's right up my alley!), but it's done in a very honest way that minimizes pretentiousness.
Rkottamasu
Read the second volume before reading the first, so for me, his graphic style devolved in the progression, but it was poignant to follow the character's life before all the really heavy stuff happens in Volume 2, aware of what would happen.
  • Dungeon: The Early Years - Vol. 1: The Night Shirt
  • LMVDM. La mia vita disegnata male
  • Ame rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • Paul Has a Summer Job
  • Arrugas
  • Blue Pills:  A Positive Love Story
  • Quartier lointain
  • The Dormant Beast (Le Sommeil du monstre, #1)
  • Pinocchio
  • Three Shadows
  • George Sprott, 1894-1975
  • Louve (Thorgal, #16)
  • Kiki de Montparnasse
  • Le goût du chlore
Manu Larcenet (full name: Emmanuel Larcenet) is a French comics writer and artist. He has been working with Fluide Glacial magazine since 1994 and with Spirou magazine since 1997.
More about Manu Larcenet...
Grasse carcasse (Blast, #1) Les Quantités négligeables (Le combat ordinaire, #2) Ce qui est précieux (Le combat ordinaire, #3) L'apocalypse selon Saint Jacky (Blast, #2) Planter des clous (Le combat ordinaire, #4)