Start by marking “Caricature” as Want to Read:
Caricature

Caricature

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  2,828 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
The dramatic short stories included in Caricature have drawn comparisons to Nabokov for their complex naturalism and sense of humor. Anchored by the title story, considered the first apotheosis of Clowes' seminal Eightball underground comic book series, Caricature also includes eight other stories, including "Green Eyeliner," a six-page full-color short story originally pu ...more
Published April 17th 2002 by Fantagraphics (first published April 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Caricature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caricature

VeganMedusa
May 21, 2011 VeganMedusa rated it it was ok
If I'm ever feeling suicidal but can't quite do the job, I'll read this book again.
Miguel Jiménez
Es la primera vez que leo a Daniel Clowes y ha sido una grata sorpresa. Le queda a la medida el término de "interesante". Me gustó la forma en que contaba las historias, con estilo minimalista. Las mayoría son tristes, con personajes marginales y que al final del relato te dejan con una sensación ¿vacía?. Pero, por otra parte, este escritor es tremendamente observador y sí, digo que me ha gustado su forma particular de ver la vida. Pongo una frase que me atrajó de una historia.

"No trabajo, ni vo
Sara
Apr 11, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
It's funny how often Dan Clowes seems to repeat character types and themes in his stories. Each of these feels like an alternate, miniature version of one of his other books. There's the Ghost World story, the Like A Velvet Glove Cast in Iron story, the Art School Confidential story. I'm fine with this, though. This book makes me see a bit more why people compare Adrian Tomine with him.

I wrote that first paragraph before I finished the book. Now I'm pretty convinced that I like Clowes' short fic
Michael
Aug 03, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Clowes isn't just a top comic writer, but a producer of literature of the highest level. These stories have a depth (and a clarity) reminiscent of Salinger.
D.M.
Sep 24, 2012 D.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection is not anything out of the ordinary for Clowes, and puts together eight stories from his regular comic Eightball with one from Esquire Magazine. For the most part, these are his usual doomed-everyman (or woman) tales, with the notable exception being the nightmarish full-colour 'The Gold Mommy.'
The title piece follows five days in the life of a festival-circuit caricaturist, and a brief encounter he has with a strange young woman of questionable age (anywhere between 15 and 22,
Christopher Roth
Sep 21, 2012 Christopher Roth rated it it was amazing
I rarely use the word "genius" to describe anyone, let alone comic-book artists/writers. Kirby, Crumb (not even Eisner or Spiegelman, sorry), and now definitely Clowes. He uses the medium to its fullest, and does things one cannot do in any other medium. I was originally exposed to Clowes through the film Ghost World, and then turned to the graphic novel and realized that I'd seen his stuff before when I lived in Chicago in the early '90s and it was appearing in free publications like Lumpen Tim ...more
Haloperidol
Dec 30, 2007 Haloperidol rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: A los inadaptados sociales con tendencia a la fantasia y obsesionados por la cultura pop
Mira yo con Daniel clowes no soy imparcial, para empezar su estilo de dibujo me chifla , esta a la altura siempre hasta en su unica obra a la que no le pillo el punot ( llOYD llEWELLyn su estilo de dibujo me alucina.
Caricatura es un recopilacion de historias cortas que incluye "traje de mierda italiano" que para mi viene a ser como un miniepilogo de un alterego masculino de la Enid de ghost world.. El protagonista ya se ha ido de su opresivo pueblo y puede fingir que es otra persona.. pero bueno
Sylvain
Oct 19, 2011 Sylvain rated it liked it
Way too much writing, like Clowes doesn't have much faith in his own drawings. The two are definitely co-dependent, as they both lack a little somethin'. Still, it's entertaining, it provides a few chuckles, and one or two insights.

Also, when did unlikeable characters become the norm in comics/cartoons/graphic novels? It's like cartoonists are only used to hanging out with assholes or something.
Grant
Jun 19, 2014 Grant rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Shame this collection ends with two of Clowes' weaker stories (one sprawling, one brief), but "The Gold Mommy," "Like a Weed, Joe," and "Immortal, Invisible" are particularly great.

"Caricature": ★★★★
"Gynecology": ★★★
"Black Nylon": ★★★
Robert
Apr 25, 2016 Robert rated it really liked it
Nine stories of anomie, isolation, and ennui from the great Clowes. I'd read most of these in his 90's-era comic series Eightball, and it was great to read some of them again. The title story, "Blue Italian Shit" and "Invisible, Immortal" are standouts for me, while "The Gold Mommy" perfectly captures the feel of a nightmare unfolding.
Lill-tove
Jun 02, 2017 Lill-tove rated it did not like it
Selv en stjerne er litt for mye. Bruk heller tiden på å skrubbe komfyren istedet for å lese denne.
Julie Rylie
May 26, 2017 Julie Rylie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics
a bunch of weird ass short stories with some resentment, unpredictable violence, loneliness (...) a la Daniel Clowes. <3
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/800474.html[return][return]Caricatures bills itself as "nine stories", but in fact they are more extended character studies than actual narratives. I love the way Clowes takes us into his characters' worlds, and at the same time using the graphic medium, we can get an idea of how other people are reacting to them. Most of his viewpoint characters are male, though there is one sequence, "Green Eyeliner", with a female lead.[return][return]Almost all of the stories invol ...more
Jani
Aug 05, 2014 Jani rated it did not like it
Caricature certainly is quite different from most comic books or graphic novels/novellas I've read. The nine stories gathered within the pages are a curious mix of text and picture. Sometimes they work in synthesis, when the pictures add to the often long pieces of text, but quite often the pictures merely depict in visual form what is said without real additions.

As stories, the collection varies in quality. I have to say that most times the stories left me cold. The troubled characters wanderin
Andy
Jul 17, 2007 Andy rated it really liked it
Clowes's principal interests seem to be: sadsacks and outsiders, social disconnect, ominous dreams, conventions in art and literature, and pulp. These seem to be actual subjects of inquiry for him, not just superficial calling cards, and as he lets them overlap and intermingle I feel like he's actually discovering interesting things. He has a remarkable knack for capturing very finely graded varieties of amusing unease in clear, memorable single panels. He works comics as a literary medium bette ...more
Joanna
Apr 03, 2013 Joanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Hmmmm... I know Clowes' stock-in-trade is melancholic, misanthropic loners and drifters, but I found this collection a bit too fucking bleak for my liking. And, misogynistic. I KNOW all his characters are flawed - and that's the point - but their consistent objectification and contempt for women got a bit tiresome and was not something that I liked, could relate to or want out of my art, simply because it's so omnipresent in reality. That aside, massive props for his art and his writing, both of ...more
Jordan
Sep 14, 2011 Jordan rated it really liked it
"Caricature" is --like most of Daniel Clowes' work-- character-driven, rather than focused on plot, with these nine stories. His protagonists are vulnerable, seeking some kind of companionship or connection, as they try to find their way in this increasingly strange and lonely world. At times, the atmosphere portrayed by Clowes for his characters becomes surreal, and in a way, makes the experience much truer, honest, and relatable for the reader. With gems like, "Caricature", "The Gold Mommy", " ...more
Jim
May 31, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a collection of nine short works by Daniel Clowes, who wrote and drew "Ghost World" (that was made into a movie).

This is the first thing I've read by Daniel Clowes. Most of the pieces were meditative and existential. Some where painful and reminded me of my own childhood. I had to be careful that I didn't fall into my own existential crisis in the process.

While the drawings at times were distracting, they were also riveting at other times.

Another good find from the library.
Edwin Arnaudin
Jun 14, 2011 Edwin Arnaudin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic collection of Clowes short stories featuring the usual cast of misfits and outsiders who populate the artist's comics. Tales range from a lonely professional caricaturist to the Halloween adventure of an awkward teen who's too old for trick-or-treating to a bizarre dream that may or may not have been experienced by Clowes himself (I think yes). Each touches on the vulnerabilities and simple joys of life in a delicate but critical manner, a skill that few writers wield.
Batmark
Dec 11, 2015 Batmark rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor

Caricature contains nine short stories from Clowes's Eightball comic book series. These stories are less stylized and more naturalistic than the stories contained in some of Clowes's other short-story collections (particularly Orgy Bound and Lout Rampage!), but some of them are still pretty harsh in terms of subject matter. However, fans of Ghost World should appreciate them.
Felipe Chiaramonte
Feb 15, 2011 Felipe Chiaramonte rated it liked it
Nove histórias de Clowes compiladas da Eightball, revista que publicava no começo de sua carreira. Todos os personagens parecem perdidos, isolados e sem chance de sobrevivência neste mundo infame, o que torna o livro mais monocromático do que ele já é. Apesar disso, vale a pena uma conferida, tanto pela arte característica e mordaz de Clowes quanto pelo mergulho sempre subversivo no lado deprê da vida.
Dominick
Jan 11, 2013 Dominick rated it really liked it
This is a really nice collection of Clowes shorts across a range of subjects, very loosely linked by the title. Each story focuses on a specific character; some are slice of life realism, some surreal dream narratives, some humorous, but all are compelling and beautifully drawn, if one can describe Clowes's characteristic undergroundish style as "beautiful."
Hamish
May 18, 2013 Hamish rated it really liked it
Like with all the best Clowes stuff I really like this but can't totally explain why. I mean, obviously it's well-drawn and has the usual cast of bizarre characters and it makes you feel a little uncomfortable, but I feel like that's not enough to account for how much I enjoy it. Anyways, there's nothing else like his comics and these are some of his best.
Tony
Dec 11, 2007 Tony rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Graphic Novel Fans
I really enjoyed this, but I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone. Clowes writes (I've found almost exclusively) the same detached, hip, and disaffected characters over and over again. They're well written detached, hip, and disaffected characters (granted) but it gets a bit old after a while. The art is brilliant, and the stories have resonance, but there's still something missing here.
Andreas Levi
Jun 11, 2008 Andreas Levi rated it really liked it
This is the book that turned me on to Daniel Clowes. He's kinda like a modern day JD Salenger, but in the graphic sense. The subtitle of this book ("Nine Stories") only reaffirms this. My favorite story is the one about the kid who is a little too old to go trick or treating but does it anyway, all by his lonesome, and somehow achieves transcendence.
Bob
Sep 02, 2014 Bob rated it it was amazing
Nine stories (homage to Salinger?) and if only all short story writers were this good! A certain number seem roughly autobiographical, in the tradition of this sort of graphic novelist, but others create compelling, if not particularly likeable characters out of whole cloth and occasionally divert into surrealism that departs nicely from the trudging around Seattle that predominates.
Mark
Jul 30, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Good collection of Clowes short stories featuring the usual collection of oddballs and misfits. I found this collection a little hit and miss however. I really like Caricature, Like A Weed, Joe, Green Eyeliner and Gynecology but struggled to invest in the likes of Blue Italian Suit, MCMLXVI etc. I couldn't fault the artwork anywhere in the book however.
Peacegal
May 28, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
This is a collection of "short story" comics by the well-known artist.

I truly enjoyed the surreal, dreamlike quality of stories such as "Immortal, Invisible." Unfortunately, others were just too distasteful and sleazy for my preferences.
Carol
Jan 01, 2014 Carol rated it liked it
Clowes provides a brilliant study of depressingly real and just depressing characters, and I find that, like Pekar, I can't put his books down. Yet I found myself no further enlightened and rather depressed myself when I finished this book. Ghost World was great, this is like a train wreck.
Ryan
Jul 16, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it
Short stories in this one. Similar to 20th Century Eightball. One reoccurring character seems to be the young man from his Art School Confidential stories. Not sure if this character is supposed to be Clowes himself. Cool stuff with a stupid cover illustration.
  • 32 Stories: The Complete Optic Nerve Mini-Comics
  • The Acme Novelty Library (Pantheon Graphic Novels)
  • The Complete Buddy Bradley Stories from Hate Comics, Vol. 1: Buddy Does Seattle, 1990-1994
  • The Little Man: Short Strips, 1980-1995
  • Curses
  • A Child's Life: Other Stories
  • An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons, and True Stories
  • Wimbledon Green
Daniel Gillespie Clowes is an Academy Award-nominated American author, screenwriter and cartoonist of alternative comic books. Most of Clowes' work appears first in his ongoing anthology Eightball (1989-present), a collection of self-contained narratives and serialized graphic novels. Several of these narratives have been collected published separately as graphic novels, most notably Ghost World. ...more
More about Daniel Clowes...

“The secret to being alone is to organize your time; to develop habits and routines and gradually elevate their importance to where they seem almost like normal, healthy activities.” 70 likes
“It was one of those rare moments where life delivers on the promises offered by Hollywood... I just stood there and watched her disappear like the pathetic, 'romantic' coward I was (and still am, I guess)... In a way, it was a perfect moment -- everything I had been waiting for... People like me probably don't want anything to actually happen to them anyway...” 4 likes