Start by marking “Pussey!” as Want to Read:
Pussey!

Pussey!

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,140 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Standard transfer file offers a pull-drawer design. Sturdy construction with double-thick side walls let you stack up to five units. Back locks to prevent tipping. Transfer file includes front-stacking locks.
Published January 3rd 1996 by Fantagraphics (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Pussey!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pussey!

Addison
As funny as Clowes always is, the strips containing the life of Dan Pussey, superhero comic penciller, never really coheres into a complete story. Unlike the other Clowes volumes I've read that were collected material from 20th Century Eightball, (Ghost World, Like a Velvet Glove Cast In Iron, and Wilson although Wilson was an OGN) Pussey was just as funny but the story doesn't work as well as the others do as a complete narrative. Unlike Enid or Wilson, I never got as attached to Pussey through...more
Andy
Mar 05, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dan clowes fans, geek fans, comics nerds
Shelves: comix-novel
One of Clowes' best, people have been parodying comics for years but this may be the funniest and truest of them all. Dan Pussey was Infinity Comics' ubergeek, putting on his game face when he sharpens his pencils to prepare another exciting tale of libidinous superhero derring-do. The history of Doc Infinity, Pussey's boss, is a brilliant fictionalized version of the Stan Lee-Marvel Comics legend. Some of the funniest Dan Clowes material ever.
Jochen
Klug, unbarmherzig, genau, böse, wobei eigentlich ja die Welt, die beschrieben wird, böse ist. Das ist große Literatur, und noch dazu in Comicform, also eigentlich noch besser als Literatur.
Carrie
Before Dan Clowes got serious, he was funny. Really really funny.
Anne Baker
Who doesn't love Pussey?
Jenny Devildoll
Scathing roast of the comics world and in some instances, the "lowbrow" pop art world. Though the hero, Dan Pussey, works in the world of mainstream comics and seems to be the epitome of the socially imept fanboy stereotype, his forays into the worlds of art/alternative comics and the pop art gallery scene are equally amusing, and despite Clowes' alignment with the alternative camp, the subcultural types are not spared. In fact, Dr. Infinity, Gummo Bubbleman, and the gallery owner(his name escap...more
Dan
Jul 17, 2014 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Clowes is an amazing cartoonist, no, THE CARTOONIST. The one and only for me. I love his "human" stories, like David Boring, Ghost World, and The Death Ray. All are very extremely literary and deal very human matters and emotions. But his bitterly ironic, nay, scathingly ironic stories, Like Pussy or the Buddy Baker strip he did, just sort if hurt. Knowing what kind of art he is capable of, all this ironic parodies make me yearn for those human qualities. Oh, well. Read at your own risk.
Matt
With this title (which is the main character's last name), I hoped this book would be a lot funnier. Nope. What I'd assumed would be tasteless and hilarious turned out to be a rather dry, uninteresting series of jabs at comic book creators, publishers and collectors. While Clowes' autobiographical introduction was pretty good and the artwork throughout of high quality, on the whole I'd describe this book as not my thing.
Jason
Brilliant and painful deconstruction of the comics world of the 80s and 90s, though it made my stomach churn a few times when I saw the teenage version of myself being targeted. My favorite piece in the collection is "The Doctor Infinity Story," which charts the exploits of and exploitations by a publisher named Dr. Infinity. He steals characters from golden age creators, puts blame on writers and artists during the Senate hearings on juvenile delinquency, and generally does whatever he can to m...more
Jeff
While bitter and acerbic to a fault, Pussey! retains Daniel Clowes' familiar strains of humor and pathos, and in the end it all comes together well. You almost have to be fascinated by the world of comics creators to get into this one, but the reward is there if you were a high school nerd (or any other type of youthful misfit), so the potential audience for Pussey! may not be as narrow as it seems at first blush. The narrative arc takes our hero from teenage wannabe to world-class success, and...more
Felipe Chiaramonte
Não só caricato nas ilustrações, mas também na narrativa de um desenhista nerd que tenta enveredar para o lado artístico e libertador de sua arte, mas que sempre se vê à volta de seu isolamento e alienação geeks, à merce de um editor soberano.

São umas seis histórias publicadas ao longo de uns quatro anos em que Clowes trabalhou esse personagem em algum periódico e que, juntas, geram um enredo interessante e exageradamente cômico da vida de Pussey e da própria indústria dos quadrinhos.

Quem gosta...more
Cristina
This has been sitting on my shelf forever. I snagged it from a professor who was giving away books like 4 years ago. I just never got around to reading it. I picked it for the obvious reasons. He's Daniel Clowes.

So, I have to admit. I didn't think I was going to like this book, but I did. It made me laugh and look at the comic book world in a whole new light.
Mallika Soni
Extremely tedious book...........

Will
A comic book about comic book makers. Pretty good, but not up to the great heights that Clowes has reached before. The parodies of comic book heroes or titles and authors is spot on. The Los Bros. Hernandez was quite sharp, but still pretty funny. One story really stands out about the business savvy Svengali contrasting the reality of how poorly he treated comic creators during an awards speech in which they were actually being honored. Excellent story-telling with Clowes distinct comic style of...more
Jordan
An unabashed, savage comic, about of the seedy world of comics, where Mr. Clowes throws everything and the kitchen sink at you. Fanboys. Arr-teeests. High-brow mumbo-jumbo. The obsession and homoeroticism of superheroes. Pop Art scene. And (for the love of 'em!) women, women, and more women. Not to mention, how the biz'll chew you up and spit you out once your fifteen minutes of fame are up. It's grim, yet fearless, and underneath it all, Poo-say is fun-aay!
Hillary
A bit down from Clowes's usual heights, but maybe that's because of the focus of the concept. I mean, I like meta-stuff, and I think the observations about comics are amusing, but the story is less strange and more grounded than usual. Lloyd Llewellyn is also a bunch of semi-random stories, but it's a lighter thing, a way to play around and goof off. The introduction is great, though, and it's not as though I'm recommending you not read this.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/889813.html[return][return]I've liked some of Clowes' work, but you can give this one a miss; a graphic novel about being a graphic novelist, exploited and corrupted by the system; unattractive, caricatured characters, and not really sure if he was satirising his own experience or some received wisdom about how the industry works.
Hamish
Pretty funny, especially the Art Spiegelman and Gary Groth parodies (and I laugh whenever I think of Torpedoes and Affection), but like a lot of super-hero parodies it feels like he's just aiming at really easy targets. I really like Clowes' art is the early Eightball days though. Something about all those buck toothed, droopy eyed faces and the idiosyncratic lettering, nothing else looks quite like it.
Dave Riley
I'm a total Clowes fan. He takes you somewhere always you don't expect to go. Always so inventive and story based. His writing is full of surprises. This fictional bio-comic is a vicious gem, sprinkled with sharp insights into how the comic hype gets generated and who actually works the coal face.

Self deprecating perhaps but that's its charm. Clowes' Pussy plays the victim so well.
Andrew
Clowes Juvenilia, and simply not very funny at all. When Clowes gets sadistic and starts satirizing and skewering, it's among the funniest stuff I've read in my entire life...so I expected Clowes turning on his own to be the apex of this hate-hilarity. Instead, I think I chuckled once - maybe. I just wish he had written this about 15 years later...
Rich Barrett
Comics about comics and the people who make them can be tedious and a little too insider-baseball but this is an old Dan Clowes book so it gets a pass on that. Also it is smart and hysterical. But in a way that will make you feel uncomfortable about making, buying, reading or going anywhere near comics.
Russell Grant
Sold as a graphic novel, but really a trade paperback collecting the Pussey strips from Eightball. Much more episodic in nature as opposed to a proper narrative. That said, it's not terrible. You get the sense that Dan really hates comics and whipped these out of anger as inspiration struck.
Arian
Don't get me wrong, I love Daniel Clowes, but his need to constantly talk crap about the other realm of comics (superheroes, etc) get's a little old after awhile. I think this is my least favorite of his stuff I have read.
Elizabeth
I'm really enjoying Daniel Clowes.

Funny, "scathing" look into the work of comics. Really enjoyed Dr. Infinity's speech interspersed with flashbacks. Also loved (/hated) the art gallery section. Poor Daniel Pussey.
Jackson Nieuwland
Funny parody of comics. It is visually nice. Clowes obviously know the industry. The vignettes don't really come together into anything though. What you see is what you get, it doesn't go beyond the surface
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Reflejo de una industria que devoró a sus incautos albañiles, la vida y milagros de Daniel Pussey muestra el franco patetismo de un negocio sobredimensionado y brutal: Lo cómics de superhéroes.
dejah_thoris
A wonderful voyage behind the scenes of the comics industry through the mind of Daniel Clowes. I especially enjoyed all his attempts to rise above the production grind of Infinity Comics.
Summer
Dan Clowes utterly skewers the world of comics in this collection. He deftly lampoons superhero books and "art" books alike and is not afraid to turn the spotlight on himself.
Andy
Dan Pussey is Clowes' goof on the world of comics, and it originally appeared in Eightball. Pussey, interestingly enough, kinda looks like John Hesher/Napoleon Dynamite.
Katie
Hilarious parody of comic book makers and readers. Makes you proud to be a nerd when you can just sit back and take the piss out of yourself.
  • The Acme Novelty Library #18
  • Big Baby
  • The Playboy
  • The Complete Buddy Bradley Stories from Hate Comics, Vol. 2: Buddy Does Jersey, 1994-1998
  • Sshhhh!
  • 32 Stories: The Complete Optic Nerve Mini-Comics
  • The Poor Bastard
  • Why I Hate Saturn
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 7: The Death of Speedy
  • Wimbledon Green
  • I am Going to Be Small
  • The Adventures of Sock Monkey
Daniel Gillespie Clowes is an Academy Award-nominated American author, screenwriter and cartoonist of alternative comic books. Most of Clowes' work appears first in his ongoing anthology Eightball (1989-present), a collection of self-contained narratives and serialized graphic novels. Several of these narratives have been collected published separately as graphic novels, most notably Ghost World....more
More about Daniel Clowes...
Ghost World David Boring Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron Wilson Ice Haven